Director of Facebook AI Research Yann LeCun
Facebook's chief AI scientist has revealed why the social media giant decided to open an AI research lab in Paris as opposed to London or another European city.
The Facebook AI Research (FAIR) unit was first announced in late 2013 and the company said at the time it would set up a European branch. After considering its options, Facebook launched FAIR Paris in 2015.
"The original idea was to open it in London," said Yann LeCun on a press call. "It would be the logical place for Facebook given that Facebook has a large engineering lab in London."
Facebook has thousands of staff in London and it employs more technical people in the U.K. capital than it does in any other European city.
LeCun said after some analysis it turned out that "the ecosystem of talent was much more open and available in continental Europe, and particularly in Paris."
"Clearly, there is a lot more competition in London than there is in Paris," LeCun told CNBC in a follow up Q&A. "In London there was DeepMind, Microsoft Research in Cambridge, and there were a couple of others."
He said they "occupied the terrain" and there were some concerns about "going on their turf."
FAIR Paris is now one of Facebook's three main AI labs worldwide along with New York and Menlo Park, California.
It is home to about 30 permanent research scientists and 20 research engineers, LeCun said. Unlike Facebook's other AI labs, FAIR Paris is also home to a large number of resident PhD students.
Tech companies have spent the last decade aggressively bulking up their AI teams with machine-learning experts capable of building software that can learn how to perform tasks itself.
Google acquired DeepMind for a reported $600 million in 2014 and today it competes directly with the Facebook AI Research group and other AI labs like OpenAI, which was cofounded by Elon Musk.
DeepMind, which sits under Google parent company Alphabet today, employs around 1,000 people and the overwhelming majority of those are based in London.
FAIR also now has smaller sites in Seattle, Pittsburgh, Tel Aviv, Montreal and London.
Read the original post:
Why Facebook chose to open its first European A.I. lab in Paris and not London - CNBC
- Yes, Mr Cummings, energy efficiency is boring if you have a one inch deep mind - The Fifth Estate - July 7th, 2020
- Breaking News - Documentary "Stockton on My Mind" Debuts July 28 on HBO - The Futon Critic - July 7th, 2020
- The Importance and the Consequences of Writing a Will - The Wire - July 7th, 2020
- Deep cultural shifts required: open letter from 500 legal women calls for reform of way judges are appointed and disciplined - UNSW Newsroom - July 7th, 2020
- Married to the Military: Dont neglect your mental health - The Fayetteville Observer - July 7th, 2020
- Suddenly, The Investment Market Comes Out Of The Deep Freeze - Bisnow - July 7th, 2020
- In Conversation: Thandie Newton - Vulture - July 7th, 2020
- Backstory: Emergency by Any Other Name Cuts as Deep - The Wire - July 4th, 2020
- FAMILY MATTERS: Open eyes and mind to teen's ascent to adulthood - Eagle-Tribune - July 4th, 2020
- Experts see 'deep trouble' for Trump overcoming plummet in the polls - Missoula Current - July 4th, 2020
- Love that stifles... - Deccan Herald - July 4th, 2020
- The long road back from COVID-19 - The Boston Globe - July 4th, 2020
- The Ripple: Healing Divisive Minds and Grieving Hearts - Aledo Times Record - July 2nd, 2020
- Deep sea coral garden found in the unlikeliest of places - Metro.co.uk - July 2nd, 2020
- Georgia on my mind - The Parliament Magazine - July 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 and Teletherapy May Be Changing How Much You Know About Your Therapist - Michigan Medicine - July 2nd, 2020
- A conversation about racism opened my eyes The Foothills Focus - Foothills Focus - July 2nd, 2020
- Eric and Wendy Schmidt back Cambridge University effort to equip researchers with A.I. skills - CNBC - June 29th, 2020
- Change Our Mind: it is your civic duty to buy performance estates - Top Gear - June 29th, 2020
- Research: Artificial neural networks are more similar to the brain than we thought - TNW - June 29th, 2020
- Moving forward by turning to the past: Oregon Historical Quarterly takes a deep dive into Oregons white supremacist roots - KGW.com - June 29th, 2020
- Trump's scorched-earth handling of environment extends to oceans too - Las Vegas Sun - June 29th, 2020
- Is that really everything you have to give? | Yon - Tallahassee Democrat - June 29th, 2020
- Decoding the link between Artificial Neural Networks and Deep Learning Algorithms - Analytics Insight - June 23rd, 2020
- Deftones' 'White Pony': 10 Things We Learned From Chino Moreno - Revolver Magazine - June 23rd, 2020
- Stranger Things: David Harbour compares Hopper to Gandalf the White - lcbcradio.com - June 23rd, 2020
- #9 Ways How Meditation Can Strengthen Our Mind, Body, and Soul - Entrepreneur - June 23rd, 2020
- Which Type of Yoga Should You Try? - United News of Bangladesh - June 23rd, 2020
- If You Want to Change, Start from the Ground Up - SFGate - June 23rd, 2020
- The Ripple: Equality and Balance is an Inside Job - Newton Press Mentor - June 20th, 2020
- Matters of the mind: Impact of lockdown and Covid-19 on marriages - The Indian Express - June 20th, 2020
- Something to Muench on: In a word, priceless! - The Cross Timbers Gazette - June 20th, 2020
- What came to mind when I acted dead - Daily Trust - June 20th, 2020
- The race to develop AI chips heats up as Graphcore says it's shipped 'tens of thousands' - CNBC - June 9th, 2020
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: 5 Deep Space Horror Movies to Stream This Week - Bloody Disgusting - June 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 Pandemic Spurs Strong Demand for Cloud AI in Warehousing, Healthcare and Conversational AI - Olean Times Herald - June 9th, 2020
- Thanks To Renewables And Machine Learning, Google Now Forecasts The Wind - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- New York's state of mind: Part II -- Former TH reporter shares account of COVID-19 in Big Apple - telegraphherald.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Dalai Lama and UW expert share message of hope, determination, and education of the mind - University of Wisconsin-Madison - June 2nd, 2020
- The top ten Scottish bands ever (from the mind of Alan Partridge) Aidan Smith - The Scotsman - June 2nd, 2020
- 5 natural ways to boost your mental health during stressful times - wreg.com - June 2nd, 2020
- DeepMind's AI Can Predict the Progression of AMD Eye Condition - Analytics Insight - May 25th, 2020
- New AI from DeepMind and Google can detect a common cause of blindness - The Next Web - May 25th, 2020
- Best Deep Sleep Music To Calm Your Mind at Night - SheKnows - May 25th, 2020
- Crash mastered and all-time high in mind - Tradimo - May 25th, 2020
- 'This is my deep breath': New Jersey pro surfer returns to the water in Ventnor for the first time since coronavirus closed the beach - Press of... - May 25th, 2020
- Google wants to give 'superpowers' to clinicians. Today it's helping them find hotel rooms - FierceHealthcare - May 25th, 2020
- This free AI chatbot helps businesses fight COVID-19 misinformation - The Next Web - May 25th, 2020
- Orange Grove resident helps to heal your mind through sound - Rosebank Killarney Gazette - May 25th, 2020
- AI collaboration develops an 'early warning system' for AMD - AOP - May 25th, 2020
- Mind-Blowing Deep Cosmos Discovery: The Oldest Disk Galaxy From The Earliest Days Of The Universe - Dual Dove - May 25th, 2020
- Facebook's head of AI says Elon Musk 'has no idea what he is talking about' - Business Insider India - May 15th, 2020
- Elon Musk has a complex relationship with the A.I. community - CNBC - May 15th, 2020
- Mind the Digital Gap - World Coal - May 15th, 2020
- New "Mind the Gap" resource from IADSA focuses on threat to eye health from blue light - Nutritional Outlook - May 15th, 2020
- Lockdown really frees the mind to delve deep into thoughts of future - The National - May 15th, 2020
- 'Spring Rain' Is a Superb Graphic Memoir of the Vagaries of Mind and Memory - PopMatters - May 15th, 2020
- Henry Ford III is rising to top of dynasty in deep trouble - San Antonio Express-News - May 15th, 2020
- 6 Nutrition Tips to Help You Sleep Better and Run Faster - runnersworld.com - May 15th, 2020
- Plan2Explore adapts to exploration tasks without fine-tuning - VentureBeat - May 15th, 2020
- The Well Gardened Mind by Sue Stuart-Smith review unwinding with nature - The Guardian - May 6th, 2020
- Can the Modern Mind Find Peace Without Delusion? - On the elusiveness of gratitude and confidence in our times - Chabad.org - May 6th, 2020
- World Asthma Day 2020: Things asthma patients must keep in mind - The Indian Express - May 6th, 2020
- Deep-rooted canola holds on in the dry - Farm Weekly - May 6th, 2020
- Exploring the life and legacy of Selena, 25 years later - KHOU.com - May 6th, 2020
- Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market 2020, Thrives the Growth at Impressive CAGR Over Forecast Period 2027 COVID-19 Impact on Global... - May 2nd, 2020
- Googles AI can adjust voice emotion, pitch, and speed with 30 minutes of data - VentureBeat - May 2nd, 2020
- The Original Pawleys Island Introduces the Comfort Collection Deep Seating Swing just in time for Mother's Day - PRNewswire - April 22nd, 2020
- 'Take Deep Breaths, Make Your Bed' Therapists Offer Tips for Maintaining Mental Health During the Coronavirus - Evanston RoundTable - April 22nd, 2020
- Putting AI to work against COVID-19 - PHG Foundation - April 22nd, 2020
- ''Like Free-Riding In Deep Snow - Inside The Mind Of A Red Bull Wingsuit Flyer - The Sportsman - April 12th, 2020
- How to meditate if you have never tried before - WHAS11.com - April 12th, 2020
- Apple, Google have teamed up to build system-level COVID-19 contact tracing, interoperable APIs for iOS, Android - MobiHealthNews - April 12th, 2020
- AUDIOBOOKS: Words, books and politics | - theberkshireedge.com - April 12th, 2020
- West Virginia peak now expected today, but Marsh says that doesn't mean back to normal right away - WV MetroNews - West Virginia MetroNews - April 12th, 2020
- DeepMinds AI models transition of glass from a liquid to a solid - VentureBeat - April 9th, 2020
- AI and the coronavirus fight: How artificial intelligence is taking on COVID-19 - ZDNet - April 9th, 2020
- Step away from the news and breathe - Waukon Standard - April 9th, 2020
- Companies are bracing for the toughest phase in business continuity: Karan Bajwa - Livemint - April 9th, 2020
- Applying Artificial Intelligence in the Fight Against The Coronavirus - HIT Consultant - April 1st, 2020