Director of Facebook AI Research Yann LeCun
Facebook's chief AI scientist has revealed why the social media giant decided to open an AI research lab in Paris as opposed to London or another European city.
The Facebook AI Research (FAIR) unit was first announced in late 2013 and the company said at the time it would set up a European branch. After considering its options, Facebook launched FAIR Paris in 2015.
"The original idea was to open it in London," said Yann LeCun on a press call. "It would be the logical place for Facebook given that Facebook has a large engineering lab in London."
Facebook has thousands of staff in London and it employs more technical people in the U.K. capital than it does in any other European city.
LeCun said after some analysis it turned out that "the ecosystem of talent was much more open and available in continental Europe, and particularly in Paris."
"Clearly, there is a lot more competition in London than there is in Paris," LeCun told CNBC in a follow up Q&A. "In London there was DeepMind, Microsoft Research in Cambridge, and there were a couple of others."
He said they "occupied the terrain" and there were some concerns about "going on their turf."
FAIR Paris is now one of Facebook's three main AI labs worldwide along with New York and Menlo Park, California.
It is home to about 30 permanent research scientists and 20 research engineers, LeCun said. Unlike Facebook's other AI labs, FAIR Paris is also home to a large number of resident PhD students.
Tech companies have spent the last decade aggressively bulking up their AI teams with machine-learning experts capable of building software that can learn how to perform tasks itself.
Google acquired DeepMind for a reported $600 million in 2014 and today it competes directly with the Facebook AI Research group and other AI labs like OpenAI, which was cofounded by Elon Musk.
DeepMind, which sits under Google parent company Alphabet today, employs around 1,000 people and the overwhelming majority of those are based in London.
FAIR also now has smaller sites in Seattle, Pittsburgh, Tel Aviv, Montreal and London.
Read the original post:
Why Facebook chose to open its first European A.I. lab in Paris and not London - CNBC
- Good Job, Whale - The Cut - September 24th, 2020
- What the strange case of horse mutilations in France reveals about our state of mind - The Guardian - September 24th, 2020
- Review: The Flaming Lips dig deep with American Head - The Rice Thresher - September 24th, 2020
- FREE Self Development Series: "Curbing Traffic Jam in the Mind" - Patch.com - September 24th, 2020
- Happy Gut, Happy Mind: how the state of your gut affects your mental health - Evening Standard - September 24th, 2020
- How DeepMind Algorithms Helped Improve the Accuracy of Google Maps? - Analytics Insight - September 15th, 2020
- Elon Musk's brain-computer startup is getting ready to blow your mind - ZDNet - September 15th, 2020
- Far from being anti-religious, faith and spirituality run deep in Black Lives Matter - The Conversation US - September 15th, 2020
- Nvidia's Arm takeover sparks concern in the UK, co-founder says it's 'a disaster' - CNBC - September 15th, 2020
- The Guardians GPT-3-written article misleads readers about AI. Heres why. - TechTalks - September 15th, 2020
- What Is Yoga Nidra? Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - September 15th, 2020
- Deep Dive: What would it take to change UNCW's mind? [Free] - Port City Daily - September 14th, 2020
- Eternal Blizzard in the Tired Mind: Kaufman delves ever deeper into the human psyche - The Stanford Daily - September 14th, 2020
- SoftBanks Arm sale hits a snag as UK opposition party warns of risk to jobs and digital sovereignty - CNBC - September 14th, 2020
- Scientific Psi? Neuralink and the smarter brain - Covalence - September 14th, 2020
- How to regulate AI, according to the 1967 Outer Space Treaty - Quartz - September 14th, 2020
- Reporter's notebook/It's time to let the games begin - The Daily Times - September 14th, 2020
- DCPS students receive online instruction from teacher in Greece - The Owensboro Times - September 14th, 2020
- Expand your mind with access to over 1,000 lectures from Tim Ferriss, Malcolm Gladwell, and more - MarketWatch - August 28th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market 2025 To Expect Maximum Benefit and Growth Potential During this COVID 19 Outbreak: AIBrain,... - August 28th, 2020
- It plays with the mind - Bangalore Mirror - August 28th, 2020
- We criticize because we care - Observer Online - August 28th, 2020
- Exercising toward a healthy mind - Johns Hopkins News-Letter - August 28th, 2020
- 78 percent parents don't mind if children have to skip school year due to pandemic: Survey - EdexLive - August 28th, 2020
- TSMC and Graphcore Prepare for AI Acceleration on 3nm - AnandTech - August 28th, 2020
- Frank Njenga: Over 40 years of healing the mind - Business Daily - August 28th, 2020
- Emily Dickinson is the unlikely hero of our time - The Conversation US - August 28th, 2020
- Visiongain publishes Automation in Biopharma Industry 2020-2030 report - PR Newswire UK - August 26th, 2020
- Scoop: The Trump-Navarro mind meld on the FDA - Axios - August 26th, 2020
- Emily Dickinson is the unlikely hero of our time - Huron Daily Tribune - August 26th, 2020
- 5 ways to ease pain using the mind-body connection - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - August 26th, 2020
- COVID-19: Heal Your Diseases and Illness with Your Subconscious Mind - CEOWORLD magazine - August 26th, 2020
- London's 'Tech City' may never be the same again after the coronavirus - CNBC - August 26th, 2020
- Environmental Sustainability And AI - Forbes - August 26th, 2020
- BetMGM Has Crazy 100-1 Odds On The Yankees or Nats To Go Deep Tonight - Crossing Broad - July 25th, 2020
- Chest-Deep' Wildflowers Are Blooming in Reds Meadow - NBC Southern California - July 25th, 2020
- The Man-Eater part 3 - Lake County Record-Bee - July 25th, 2020
- SPIRIT MATTERS: Breathing through the day - LaSalle News Tribune - July 25th, 2020
- Coping with COVID: These stunning Instagram artworks dive deep into the mind - Cond Nast Traveller India - July 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: Global Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market is Expected to Grow at a Healthy CAGR with top players Deep Relax, Smiling Mind, Inner... - July 8th, 2020
- Pralaya Yoga's Adult Nap Time Could Be the Lullaby You're Needing in 2020 - Houstonia Magazine - July 8th, 2020
- Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market (impact of COVID-19) To See Massive Growth By 2026| Committee for Children, Insights Network, Inc., Smiling Mind,... - July 8th, 2020
- 'McMindfulness,' and why deep breathing isn't always the answer - Dailyuw - July 8th, 2020
- Deep cultural shifts required: open letter from 500 legal women calls for reform of way judges are appointed and disciplined - Women's Agenda - July 8th, 2020
- Mental Health and Coping Tips - Wexner Medical Center - The Ohio State University - July 8th, 2020
- Yes, Mr Cummings, energy efficiency is boring if you have a one inch deep mind - The Fifth Estate - July 7th, 2020
- Breaking News - Documentary "Stockton on My Mind" Debuts July 28 on HBO - The Futon Critic - July 7th, 2020
- The Importance and the Consequences of Writing a Will - The Wire - July 7th, 2020
- Deep cultural shifts required: open letter from 500 legal women calls for reform of way judges are appointed and disciplined - UNSW Newsroom - July 7th, 2020
- Married to the Military: Dont neglect your mental health - The Fayetteville Observer - July 7th, 2020
- Suddenly, The Investment Market Comes Out Of The Deep Freeze - Bisnow - July 7th, 2020
- In Conversation: Thandie Newton - Vulture - July 7th, 2020
- Backstory: Emergency by Any Other Name Cuts as Deep - The Wire - July 4th, 2020
- FAMILY MATTERS: Open eyes and mind to teen's ascent to adulthood - Eagle-Tribune - July 4th, 2020
- Experts see 'deep trouble' for Trump overcoming plummet in the polls - Missoula Current - July 4th, 2020
- Love that stifles... - Deccan Herald - July 4th, 2020
- The long road back from COVID-19 - The Boston Globe - July 4th, 2020
- The Ripple: Healing Divisive Minds and Grieving Hearts - Aledo Times Record - July 2nd, 2020
- Deep sea coral garden found in the unlikeliest of places - Metro.co.uk - July 2nd, 2020
- Georgia on my mind - The Parliament Magazine - July 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 and Teletherapy May Be Changing How Much You Know About Your Therapist - Michigan Medicine - July 2nd, 2020
- A conversation about racism opened my eyes The Foothills Focus - Foothills Focus - July 2nd, 2020
- Eric and Wendy Schmidt back Cambridge University effort to equip researchers with A.I. skills - CNBC - June 29th, 2020
- Change Our Mind: it is your civic duty to buy performance estates - Top Gear - June 29th, 2020
- Research: Artificial neural networks are more similar to the brain than we thought - TNW - June 29th, 2020
- Moving forward by turning to the past: Oregon Historical Quarterly takes a deep dive into Oregons white supremacist roots - KGW.com - June 29th, 2020
- Trump's scorched-earth handling of environment extends to oceans too - Las Vegas Sun - June 29th, 2020
- Is that really everything you have to give? | Yon - Tallahassee Democrat - June 29th, 2020
- Decoding the link between Artificial Neural Networks and Deep Learning Algorithms - Analytics Insight - June 23rd, 2020
- Deftones' 'White Pony': 10 Things We Learned From Chino Moreno - Revolver Magazine - June 23rd, 2020
- Stranger Things: David Harbour compares Hopper to Gandalf the White - lcbcradio.com - June 23rd, 2020
- #9 Ways How Meditation Can Strengthen Our Mind, Body, and Soul - Entrepreneur - June 23rd, 2020
- Which Type of Yoga Should You Try? - United News of Bangladesh - June 23rd, 2020
- If You Want to Change, Start from the Ground Up - SFGate - June 23rd, 2020
- The Ripple: Equality and Balance is an Inside Job - Newton Press Mentor - June 20th, 2020
- Matters of the mind: Impact of lockdown and Covid-19 on marriages - The Indian Express - June 20th, 2020
- Something to Muench on: In a word, priceless! - The Cross Timbers Gazette - June 20th, 2020
- What came to mind when I acted dead - Daily Trust - June 20th, 2020
- The race to develop AI chips heats up as Graphcore says it's shipped 'tens of thousands' - CNBC - June 9th, 2020
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: 5 Deep Space Horror Movies to Stream This Week - Bloody Disgusting - June 9th, 2020