I first learned about fly-fishing in a story by Truman Capote called Handcarved Coffins. In Americas midwest, Capotes help is solicited by a small-town sheriff stumped by a string of diabolically ingenious murders in his remote farming community. The victims have been are killed in ways suggesting intimate knowledge of their habits, yet nowhere is there any apparent motive. In the end Capote has no evidence but meets up with the man he reasons must be the killer. Hes fly-fishing. Waist-high in a stream, he talks about the will of God. As little as I then knew about the sport, it somehow made perfect sense that the killer would be fly-fishing.
In a larger sense, fly-fishing is a discipline of the mind, about things unseen. In the run-up to my trip to Swedens fly-fishing mecca lvdalen, four hours north of Stockholm, I listened to fly-fishing stories on the internet. Many are about technique, or about making the flies, and the tiny lures fly-fishers use; also, oddly, there are a great many tales about fly-fishing as a sort of personal, even spiritual, quest, about people who go to restore a relationship, to help them unravel some knotty issue in their lives or just find peace of mind. Somehow fly-fishing makes that possible.
Clockwise from top: Giulio Marchesi, from Milan, fishing on the sterdallven River in lvdalen. In the fly-fishers armoury are an assortment of flies that attempt to match the natural insect hatch, including the superpuppa, which imitates a Mayfly
Micke Nyberg, a local guide who runs an outfit called Anglerman Fishing Adventures, picked me up at the lvdalen Fishing Center. Micke is a big bear of a man. His family has lived in the area since the 16th century. He is fluent in several languages, including Avdelska, a local language thats a mix of old-English, old-German, old-Swedish and old-Icelandic, and utterly unintelligible to all but a few. He likes it that way. With him is Giulio Marchesi, an architect from Milan who comes to fly-fish with Micke every year.
At Mickes shop, were fitted out with boots and waders and head out on to the highway, turning off on to a dirt track that is soon swallowed by dark forest. I notice theres nothing on the GPS. Were quite literally off the map. If you could find this place, it would be all too easy, and no fun at all, to get lost here. We emerge beside a small river. This area is crisscrossed by rivers. Micke and Giulio stand in silence on the bank and watch. Theyre looking for fish rising to grab one of the mayflies that flit about on the surface.
The next morning we head out, not too early, for a different spot. Its a perfect day. Micke escorts me across the stream to a small island. Im very nervous about slipping on slick rocks which would spell death to my cameras, but Micke is big, stable and has sea legs, and as we go hes instructing me how to walk without falling.
When I was young, he says, it was about catching fish. Then it was about catching many fish. Then it was about catching bigger fish. Now I get satisfaction out of enabling other people to catch fish. Micke and Giulio try the spot for a while but it yields nothing, so we pile into the truck and head to another stretch of the river. Its like this all day.
We stop for lunch at a small shelter alongside a stream. Micke builds a fire, produces a cast-iron pan and begins to make a local favourite called kolbulla. Its an absolutely outstanding pork pancake made with a savoury batter served in the traditional way with lingonberry jam. Asked for the recipe, Micke just laughs. The meal is finished off with some strong Swedish coffee and a bit of dark chocolate. Totally satisfying.
Fly-fishing, says Giulio, is all about focus.
Youre doing only one thing. Youre here and nowhere else, adds Micke.
The angler is acutely attuned to every sight, sound and smell. The stream is still or moving. Fish can sense your presence. A fast current generates sound that can hide you. Insects are flitting about on the surface. Small birds are zooming about chasing the insects. What kind of insects are they? Where are they? Brown trout and grayling, the fish that live here, eat mayflies and other hatching insects. You watch the surface for bubbles and patterns that might betray a fish. With the flick of the wrist, an experienced angler can cast his or her line to the exact spot where a fish is feeding.
The moving current can induce a kind of spatial disorientation, so you have to concentrate. If youre using the right fly, and it lands within the small radius where the fish will strike, and if the fish lunges for it maybe youve got one. But usually you havent and you try again.
Guide Micke Nyborgs family have lived in the lvdalen area for 500 years, and he is a lifelong angler. After a blank spell, he changes his fly to one that is microscopically larger and instantly nets a trout
The intense focus fills your senses. The coolness of the water, the gentle buffeting by the current, the sound of water moving over rock and gurgling up from the hollows, the feel and smell of spray rising from the stream mixing with the smell of pine trees you emerge from it like youve had the best-ever mindfulness meditation. Your mind is clear and feels like it has never worked better, says Giulio.
He adds: It gives energy back. I really need to do it. Back home, I sometimes just go fishing because I want to do it. I want to do something else for half a day but I dont get the same amount of good energy and positive thinking that I get from being here. Once you start fly-fishing you never stop.
For details visit Anglerman Fishing Adventures . Further information at visitsweden.com
- GitHub - deepmind/deepmind-research: This repository ... - October 22nd, 2021
- Why DeepMind Acquired This Robotics Startup - Analytics India Magazine - October 22nd, 2021
- Deeper Is Not Necessarily Better: Princeton U & Intel's 12-Layer Parallel Networks Achieve Performance Competitive With SOTA Deep Networks -... - October 22nd, 2021
- How AI is reinventing what computers are - MIT Technology Review - October 22nd, 2021
- Incorporating This Into Your Daily Routine Can Bolster Your Brain Health & Mood - mindbodygreen.com - October 22nd, 2021
- The Ideal Color To Surround Yourself With Right Now, According To Astrologers - mindbodygreen.com - October 22nd, 2021
- A.I. Predicts the Shapes of Molecules to Come - The New ... - October 20th, 2021
- These weird virtual creatures evolve their bodies to solve problems - MIT Technology Review - October 20th, 2021
- As Great Resignation Draws On, Smaller Teams and Larger Workloads, Concerns Over Retention Top of Mind for Leaders - Business Wire - October 20th, 2021
- Global Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market 2021 Industry Insights and Major Players are Deep Relax, Smiling Mind, Inner Explorer, Inc. Radford... - October 15th, 2021
- Google Proposes ARDMs: Efficient Autoregressive Models That Learn to Generate in any Order - Synced - October 15th, 2021
- Here's what's big for AI this year, according to the annual State of AI report - Morning Brew - October 15th, 2021
- Google DeepMind AI: Heres how it can bring a revolution in weather forecasting - Yahoo Singapore News - October 12th, 2021
- Now AI Tells You If It Will Pour In The Next Two Hours - Analytics India Magazine - October 12th, 2021
- Global Blockchain Technology in Healthcare Market (2021 to 2026) - Featuring Accenture, Capgemini and DeepMind Health Among Others -... - October 12th, 2021
- 10 Most Popular Google AI Projects that Everyone Should Know - Analytics Insight - October 12th, 2021
- How this company is using data-driven drug discovery to fight disease - The Globe and Mail - October 12th, 2021
- DeepMind tells Google it has no idea how to make AI less toxic - The Next Web - September 23rd, 2021
- There are some important things to keep in mind for first time home buyers - KTBS - September 23rd, 2021
- Easy exploring: The best things to do in Deep Cove | Curated - Daily Hive - September 23rd, 2021
- The Secrets of The Worlds Greatest Freediver - GQ Magazine - September 23rd, 2021
- How to find peace of mind during the COVID-19 pandemic's delta surge | Opinion - Tennessean - September 23rd, 2021
- WONDERFUL THINGS: Perfect peace in a troubled world from Jesus - Destin Log - September 23rd, 2021
- The Best Social Media Reactions and Memes at the 2021 Met Gala - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 15th, 2021
- Researchers lay the groundwork for an AI hive mind - The Next Web - September 15th, 2021
- Infinite Memory Transformer: Attending to Arbitrarily Long Contexts Without Increasing Computation Burden - Synced - September 15th, 2021
- It takes a village: how Asics got a small town to lace up and raise money for Mind UK - The Drum - September 15th, 2021
- EY study deep dives into financial protection gap - Insurance Business - September 15th, 2021
- Peptone: Putting molecular physics at the heart of UK's next billion-pound pharma company - Yahoo Money - September 15th, 2021
- Vigil episode four recap Silva and the crew are in deep water - The Guardian - September 13th, 2021
- How to cultivate a 'big mind' to deal with everyday stresses | HeraldNet.com - The Daily Herald - September 13th, 2021
- THE BOOK NOOK: Deep behind the scenes of 9/11 - Niagara Gazette - September 13th, 2021
- How 7 years of dirt is deep cleaned from mattresses - Insider - September 13th, 2021
- A therapy called rhythm that creates impact on the body and the mind - Onmanorama - September 13th, 2021
- Bidens abortion clash with the Catholic Church - POLITICO - September 13th, 2021
- God's mysterious riches, wisdom, and knowledge - Leawood - Church of the Resurrection - September 13th, 2021
- Google pulls the plug on DeepMind-developed health app Streams - Business Insider - September 1st, 2021
- Where the mind is without fear - The Times of India Blog - September 1st, 2021
- Global Cognitive Computing in Retail Market, By Component, By Technology, By Deployment, By Application, By Region, Competition Forecast &... - September 1st, 2021
- U.S. households and small businesses have stockpiled a mind-blowing record cash pile of almost $17 trillion - MarketWatch - August 26th, 2021
- What would it be like to be a conscious AI? We might never know. - MIT Technology Review - August 26th, 2021
- Google Health Disbanded; Staff Sent To Other Divisions - Silicon UK - August 26th, 2021
- 7 Ways to Stop Racing Thoughts at Night and Get to Sleep - Livestrong - August 26th, 2021
- Possumhaw: Out of sight, out of mind - The Dispatch - The Commercial Dispatch - August 24th, 2021
- UK aims to boost solar by predicting cloud movements with A.I. - CNBC - August 24th, 2021
- This Special Nature Writing Ritual Will Connect You To Your Divine Feminine - mindbodygreen.com - August 24th, 2021
- Shipwrecked: A Shocking Tale of Love, Loss, and Survival in the Deep Blue Sea - Boston magazine - August 24th, 2021
- AllDay notes after deeper reading of the prospectus - Philstar.com - August 24th, 2021
- UCSD & Microsoft Improve Image Recognition With Extremely Low FLOPs - Synced - August 24th, 2021
- Are These the Hidden Deepfakes in the Anthony Bourdain Movie? - WIRED - August 24th, 2021
- Scientists report new findings on the role that fish play in balancing coral, algae on reefs - ASU Now - August 24th, 2021
- Accurate prediction of protein structures and interactions using a three-track neural network - Science Magazine - August 22nd, 2021
- The Wonders That Live at the Very Bottom of the Sea - The New York Times - August 22nd, 2021
- Tamo J is 'digging up deep-rooted issues' in therapy - Jamaica Gleaner - August 22nd, 2021
- How to use 'progressive muscle relaxation' to calms stress and ease anxiety - GLAMOUR UK - August 22nd, 2021
- Review: 'Sister Sorry' plunges deep into a shadowy abyss of the psyche. But are its characters worth caring about? - Berkshire Eagle - August 22nd, 2021
- Always on your mind - The New Indian Express - August 22nd, 2021
- This Former Pastor Is Changing Evangelicals' Minds on COVID Vaccines Mother Jones - Mother Jones - August 22nd, 2021
- How DeepMind's John Jumper unlocked the 3D secret to proteins - Fast Company - August 14th, 2021
- How to avoid falling asleep during meditation - The Indian Express - August 14th, 2021
- A New Review of Dozens of Studies Found These Are the 8 Most Effective Ways to Stop Worrying and Calm Your Mind - Inc. - August 14th, 2021
- Four Policies that Government Can Pursue to Advance Trustworthy AI - uschamber.com - August 14th, 2021
- England vs India 2nd Test, Day 3 as it happened: Roots marathon ton guides hosts to 27-run lead - Scroll.in - August 14th, 2021
- Deshbhakti Curriculum to be implemented in Delhi Govt schools. Here is what it will cover - Mint - August 14th, 2021
- Trouble at Google's DeepMind and tech workers not going back to the office - Business Insider - August 8th, 2021
- Embodied AI, superintelligence and the master algorithm - TechCrunch - August 8th, 2021
- Alserkal is serving up isolation tanks and other mind altering activities this month - Time Out Dubai - August 8th, 2021
- Tshola had a generous heart and mind - IOL - August 8th, 2021
- Keeping the faith: Remembering gratitude can help us extend love to others, transform world - The Columbus Dispatch - August 8th, 2021
- AI use cases are expanding and evolving in healthcare - Tech Wire Asia - August 1st, 2021
- DeepMind releases massive database of 3D protein structures - STAT - STAT - July 25th, 2021
- DeepMinds AI uncovers structure of 98.5 per cent of human proteins - News Nation USA - July 25th, 2021
- Good Morning, News: $600000 Settlement for 2017 PPB Killing, Deep Pockets Try Influencing MultCo DA, and Everything is GREAT at the Olympics! - The... - July 25th, 2021
- DeepMind open-sources AlphaFold 2 for protein structure predictions - VentureBeat - July 21st, 2021
- DeepMind's AlphaFold 2 reveal: Convolutions are out, attention is in - ZDNet - July 21st, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Growing Trade Among Emerging Economies Opening New Opportunities (2021-2031) | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind... - July 21st, 2021
- Self-driving data centres: Managing the transition from human-to-AI workload management - IT Brief Australia - July 21st, 2021
- The scene is set | Royal St George's | The 149th Open - The Open - July 14th, 2021
- Tech Companies Leading the Cognitive Computing Race in 2021 - Analytics Insight - July 14th, 2021
- Science fiction: From hero's tales to deep thoughts - The Daily Advance - July 14th, 2021