New Delhi, The average time -frame of tech disruption in our lives has significantly diminished and things are changing at a rapid scale around us. In a span of few years, gadgets like MP3 players, compact digital cameras, scanners, CDs, fax machines and several others have disappeared.
On the other hand, new-age technologies like Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML), data analytics, Internet of Things (IoT), content streaming, automation, robotics and 5G are not only here to stay but are growing in leaps and bounds to make our lives better.
Let us go through 5 tech trends that will explode in the decade that has just begun.
1. Quantum computing
The team at Google AI has achieved sort of "quantum supremacy" with developing such chip -- a new 54-qubit processor named "Sycamore" that is comprised of fast, high-fidelity quantum logic gates in order to perform the benchmark testing. Not just Google but several tech giants like Microsoft, IBM and Intel have joined the race to build a scalable quantum computer. IBM recently unveiled its quantum computer with 53 qubits.
The current bits in computers store information as either 1 or 0, thus limiting the potential to make sense when faced with gigantic volumes of data. If all goes well, Microsoft is also confident about having one such scalable super machine within the next five years.
"We are looking at a five-year time-frame to build a quantum computer and what we need are roughly 100-200 good qubits with a low-error rate," Krysta Svore, Principal Research Manager, Microsoft Quantum Computing, told IANS recently. Microsoft has also partnered with the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Roorkee to conduct lectures on quantum computing for a full semester.
2. Self-driving 'electric' cars
The global revenues from "connected" cars -- the precursor to fully-autonomous or self-driving cars -- are growing at an annual rate of 27.5 per cent and are expected to touch $21 billion by 2020.
Tesla helped create that market and remains an industry leader. The Elon Musk-run company surprised Wall Street by registering a profitable third quarter last year with a total revenue of $6.3 billion riding on sales of its Model S, Model X and Model 3 electric cars. Tesla expected to deliver between 360,000 and 400,000 vehicles in 2019, representing 45-65 per cent growth.
Other automobile companies who will join Tesla in the next decade are Audi e-Tron Sportback; BMW iX3; Ford Mustang Mach-E; Mercedes EQC 400 4Matic; Porsche's Taycan 4S; Volvo XC40 Recharge and Byton M-Byte SUV, to name a few.
India is also planning to replace a significant portion of its conventional internal combustion engine fleet by electric vehicles in the next one decade, particularly to reduce pollution and also to create jobs through manufacturing of such vehicles.
3. 5G-connected homes
With 75 billion Internet of Things (IoT) devices expected to be in place by 2025, the world is at the cusp of experiencing a technology that will change the way live today. Being able to download a full-length HD movie in seconds and share your wow-moments with friends -- that's just the beginning. Commercial 5G networks are starting to go live across the world.
With 5G commercial networks being switched on, the first use cases are enhanced mobile broadband, which will bring better experiences for smartphone users with 100 times faster data and fixed wireless access, providing fiber speeds without fiber to homes.
5G Services have already begun in the US, South Korea and some European countries, including Switzerland, Finland and the UK. CSPs in Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Spain, Sweden, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates have announced plans to accelerate 5G network building through 2020.
4. Voice as a new interface
Voice is slowly becoming the new human-compute interface and the Indian masses -- be it a 3-year-old toddler or a 95-year-old grandpa -- are finally going to leverage voice to interact with the devices and digitally control their lives. Alexa, Google Home, Siri and others are changing the way we speak with devices and the next decade will see digital assistants becoming all-pervasive. Soon, you will be talking to your refrigerator, electric bulbs, washing machine, microwave, coffee machine and what not.
According to Adam Berns, Director of Business Development, Alexa Voice Service (AVS) at Amazon, India is now ready for voice as a core experience."Voice today is powering several devices -- PCs, wearables, smartphones, car accessories and smart home devices -- helping people streamline their lives. I firmly believe voice is the next interface with computing and Amazon with its Alexa offerings is here to change the world," Berns told IANS in a recent interview.
5. Internet TV 24/7
An over-the-top (OTT) viewer in India is spending approximately 70 minutes a day on video streaming platforms, with a consumption frequency of 12.5 times a week, according to a recent Eros Now-KPMG report. In India, the Internet video traffic is projected to reach 13.5 Exabytes (EB) per month by 2022 -- up from 1.5 EB a month in 2017 -- with video contributing 77 per cent of all Internet traffic by 2022.
"Unlike the common thought that urbanites are watching more content online, 65 per cent video consumption is coming from the rural parts of the country thanks to cheap data plans, especially from Reliance Jio, and affordable smartphones. Those who cannot afford to buy a smart, connected TV are now streaming OTT content on phones," TV Ramachandran, President, Broadband India Forum (BIF) told IANS.
There are currently more than 32 online content and video streaming platforms in the country and the market is expected to hit $5 billion by 2023, according to the global management-consulting firm Boston Consulting Group (BCG). Within no time, you will see Indians throwing set-top boxes into dustbins as data becomes further cheap and Internet TV takes over our drawing rooms completely.
Follow this link:
5 tech that will explode in your life this decade - ETCIO.com
- Total to crunch the numbers on 'nanoporus' materials to hone carbon capture - Recharge - May 24th, 2020
- Total partners with Cambridge Quantum Computing on CO2 capture - Green Car Congress - May 20th, 2020
- Seeqc UK Awarded 1.8M In Grants To Advance Quantum Computing Initiatives - Business Wire - May 20th, 2020
- Atos and CSC empower the Finnish quantum research community with Atos Quantum Learning Machine - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - May 20th, 2020
- Light Waves Used to Access Unique Properties of the Quantum World - AZoQuantum - May 20th, 2020
- Weekly Update: Global Coronavirus Impact and Implications on Quantum Computing Market Forecast Report Offers Key Insights, Key Drivers, Technology -... - May 20th, 2020
- Quantum computing will (eventually) help us discover vaccines in days - VentureBeat - May 16th, 2020
- Registration Open for Inaugural IEEE International Conference on Quantum Computing and Engineering (QCE20) - PRNewswire - May 16th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- The Global Quantum Dots Market is expected to grow from USD 2,581.12 Million in 2018 to USD 10,423.13 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound Annual... - May 16th, 2020
- Quantum computing analytics: Put this on your IT roadmap - TechRepublic - May 15th, 2020
- David Graves to Head New Research at PPPL for Plasma Applications in Industry and Quantum Information Science - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing... - May 15th, 2020
- Registration Open for Inaugural IEEE International Conference on Quantum Computing and Engineering - HPCwire - May 15th, 2020
- Seeqc UK Awarded 1.8M in Grants to Advance Quantum Computing Initiatives - HPCwire - May 15th, 2020
- Yale College 2020: Meet some of the graduates - Yale News - May 15th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Analysis, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - News Distinct - May 15th, 2020
- Video: The Future of Quantum Computing with IBM - insideHPC - May 14th, 2020
- Topological Quantum Computing Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- IonQ CEO Peter Chapman on how quantum computing will change the future of AI - VentureBeat - May 14th, 2020
- New Tool Could Pave the Way for Future Insights in Quantum Chemistry - AZoQuantum - May 14th, 2020
- Daily AI Roundup: The Coolest Things on Earth Today - AiThority - May 14th, 2020
- Research Fellow in Geometric Topology job with UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS | 206608 - Times Higher Education (THE) - May 14th, 2020
- Archer to work alongside IBM in progressing quantum computing - ZDNet - May 6th, 2020
- A Discovery That Long Eluded Physicists: Superconductivity to the Edge - SciTechDaily - May 6th, 2020
- Physicists Criticize Stephen Wolfram's 'Theory of Everything' - Scientific American - May 6th, 2020
- Virtual ICM Seminar: 'HPC Simulations of the Early Universe' - HPCwire - May 6th, 2020
- 9 great reads from CNET this week - CNET - May 4th, 2020
- Devs: Here's the real science behind the quantum computing TV show - New Scientist News - May 4th, 2020
- IBM Announces a Quantum Challenge With Four Exercises to Solve in 4 Days - Database Trends and Applications - May 4th, 2020
- New Princeton study takes superconductivity to the edge - Princeton University - May 4th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Inclinations And Development Status Highlighted During Forecast Period 2019-2026 - Latest Herald - April 29th, 2020
- Meet the new bipartisan consensus on China, just as wrong as the old bipartisan consensus on China - Greenwich Time - April 29th, 2020
- Trump betting millions to lay the groundwork for quantum internet in the US - CNBC - April 28th, 2020
- Wiring the Quantum Computer of the Future: Researchers from Japan and Australia propose a novel 2D design - QS WOW News - April 28th, 2020
- Announcing the IBM Quantum Challenge - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - April 28th, 2020
- Muquans and Pasqal partner to advance quantum computing - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - April 28th, 2020
- Deltec Bank, Bahamas - Quantum Computing Will bring Efficiency and Effectiveness and Cost Saving in Baking Sector - marketscreener.com - April 28th, 2020
- The world doesn't want to pick between the U.S. and China - The Advocate - April 28th, 2020
- COVID-19 will accelerate AI's replacement of humans as factor of production | TheHill - The Hill - April 13th, 2020
- IoT news of the week for April 10, 2020 - Stacey on IoT - April 13th, 2020
- Global Quantum Computing Market To Grow at a Stayed CAGR with Huge Profits by 2025 | D-Wave Systems Inc. (Canada) - Fashion Trends News - April 13th, 2020
- 'Westworld': Rehoboam name inspired by sci-fi book 'Stand on Zanzibar' - Insider - INSIDER - April 13th, 2020
- Quantum Computing: What You Need To Know - Inc42 Media - April 9th, 2020
- Microsoft invests in PsiQuantum, a startup which is building the worlds first useful quantum computer - MSPoweruser - MSPoweruser - April 9th, 2020
- HQS and AQT Announce Strategic Partnership - HPCwire - April 9th, 2020
- Prysmian Group Selects IBM To Help Accelerate Digital Transformation With Adoption of IBM Cloud - PRNewswire - April 9th, 2020
- Quantum computing at the nanoscale - News - The University of Sydney - April 8th, 2020
- Securing IoT in the Quantum Age - Eetasia.com - April 8th, 2020
- Inside the Global Race to Fight COVID-19 Using the World's Fastest Supercomputers - Scientific American - April 8th, 2020
- Global Quantum Computing Market 2025 company profile of each organization are entailed in the study : D-Wave Systems, Google, IBM, Intel, Microsoft,... - April 8th, 2020
- D-Wave makes its quantum computers free to anyone working on the coronavirus crisis - VentureBeat - April 1st, 2020
- Can Quantum Computing Be the New Buzzword - Analytics Insight - April 1st, 2020
- Q-CTRL to Host Live Demos of 'Quantum Control' Tools - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - April 1st, 2020
- We're Getting Closer to the Quantum Internet, But What Is It? - HowStuffWorks - April 1st, 2020
- Who Will Mine Cryptocurrency in the Future - Quantum Computers or the Human Body? - Coin Idol - April 1st, 2020
- Universities Space Research Association to Lead a DARPA Project on Quantum Computing - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - April 1st, 2020
- The Schizophrenic World Of Quantum Interpretations - Forbes - April 1st, 2020
- Disrupt The Datacenter With Orchestration - The Next Platform - April 1st, 2020
- Quantum Computing strikes technology partnership with Splunk - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - March 26th, 2020
- Devs: Alex Garland on Tech Company Cults, Quantum Computing, and Determinism - Den of Geek UK - March 26th, 2020
- Is Machine Learning The Quantum Physics Of Computer Science ? - Forbes - March 26th, 2020
- Recent PDF Report : Quantum Computing Market 2020: In-depth Industry Analysis By Size, Share, Competition, Opportunities And Growth By 2029 - Sound On... - March 26th, 2020
- Organisms grow in wave pattern, similar to ocean circulation - Big Think - March 26th, 2020
- Tech incubator Fountech.Ventures launches in US and UK - UKTN - March 26th, 2020
- Why resilience is the key to future security - Raconteur - March 22nd, 2020
- Quantum computing is right around the corner, but cooling is a problem. What are the options? - Diginomica - March 21st, 2020
- Quantum Computing: Will It Actually Produce Jobs? - Dice Insights - March 21st, 2020
- Quantum computing, AI, China, and synthetics highlighted in 2020 Tech Trends report - VentureBeat - March 16th, 2020
- Early investment in quantum computing could result in a competitive advantage - Help Net Security - March 16th, 2020
- Quantum Computing for Everyone - The Startup - Medium - March 16th, 2020
- UC Riverside to lead scalable quantum computing project using 3D printed ion traps - 3D Printing Industry - March 16th, 2020
- Deltec Bank, Bahamas - Quantum Computing Will have Positive Impacts on Portfolio Optimization, Risk Analysis, Asset Pricing, and Trading Strategies -... - March 16th, 2020
- NIST Works on the Industries of the Future in Buildings from the Past - Nextgov - March 16th, 2020
- Archer Materials" patent application received by World Intellectual Property Organisation - Proactive Investors Australia - March 16th, 2020
- Why the Journey to Cloud Must Start With the Workforce - AiThority - March 9th, 2020
- 'Devs': How the FX on Hulu show's tech compares with reality - Los Angeles Times - March 5th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2025 - Express Journal - March 5th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market 2019 Analysis by Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2029 - News Times - March 5th, 2020
- Cracking the uncertainty around quantum computing - Information Age - March 4th, 2020
- Surprise contender Honeywell enters the quantum computing race - New Scientist News - March 4th, 2020