Nissans Sunderland plant was affected as workers were pinged by the over zealous NHS app
UK COVID-19 test and trace app isolation warnings are on the verge of shutting factories across Britain, labour body, Unite told Just Auto this week.Reports were flooding in across the UK of multiple industries particularly manufacturing seeing significant numbers of staff having to isolate at home following the National Health Service app telling them they had been in contact with a COVID-19-hit person.The issue seemed to have hit the automotive sector especially hard, according to the union, and yesterday (15 July), media speculation was focusing on up to 900 Nissan staff having to stay at home after being pinged by the health app. We also heard of a similar effect at BMWs Rolls-Royce. Production in certain areas of the plant has been adjusted as we manage a number of staff being required to self-isolate following close contact with COVID-19, Nissan said in a statement. Unite reckoned some sites were struggling to operate due to hundreds of staff being off at once with one major engine supplier telling the union delays to orders were so severe, work might be permanently moved to China. English authorities say those who have received double vaccinations wont need to self-isolate after 16 August but major pressure is now being brought to bear on the government to bring that date forward.
TomTom has launched Virtual Horizon, which it said was the only map-based all-in-one ADAS software from a single company that helps passenger and commercial vehicles anticipate the road ahead.The software for automakers provides a connection between digital maps and ADAS functionality, allowing vehicles to see beyond the range of their sensors.The supplier maintains the new product is designed to democratise ADAS by supporting vehicles without embedded navigation, as well as the most technologically advanced automated vehicles.The software translates map data into actionable information for drivers and vehicles.For example, if there is a sharp bend in the road or a change in the speed limit ahead, it will warn drivers in non-automated vehicles to prepare to take action, while the software in automated vehicles will enable more informed and intelligent decision making without the involvement of the driver.
BMW and Amazon have combined to set a challenge for researchers, startups and pioneering companies from the global quantum computing community aimed at solutions for specific industrial challenges. The BMW Group Quantum Computing Challenge will be run in collaboration with Amazon Web Services (AWS).The challenge encourages entrants to come up with innovative quantum algorithms and test their solutions on real quantum computing technologies. Quantum computing holds potential to address challenging problems in the automotive sector in complex optimisation, materials research, and in the form of quantum machine learning automated driving.
Toyota and CaetanoBus, the Portuguese bus manufacturing company, announced co-branding of the e.City Gold battery electric city bus and the H2.City Gold fuel cell electric bus.Since 2019, TME, has integrated Toyotas fuel cell technology into the hydrogen city buses manufactured by CaetanoBus, supplying fuel cell stacks, hydrogen tanks and other key components. More recently, in December 2020, Toyota Caetano Portugal (TCAP) became the direct shareholder of CaetanoBus, to support rapid expansion from its core business to the development and sales of zero-emission buses.
Uwe Hochgeschurtz, currently CEO, Renault Germany, Austria and Switzerland, was this week named Opel brand CEO from 1 September, 2021, at a time when the unique German brand of Stellantis is expanding its commercial activities, including in China, and entering the electrification era. The new chief will replace Michael Lohscheller who has decided to pursue a new challenge outside Stellantis. Hochgeschurtz will report directly to Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares. He started his auto industry career in 1990 at Ford before joining VW in 2001 and Renault in 2004.
Foxconn has said it was talking with state officials about building electric vehicles in Wisconsin, part of the major Apple suppliers move to diversify income streams. Foxconn and Fisker said in May they had finalised a vehicle assembly deal. They did not identify a location, but Fiskers CEO said Foxconns Wisconsin site was a possibility. Last April, Foxconn drastically scaled back a planned $10bn factory in Wisconsin, confirming its retreat from a project that former US president Donald Trump once called the eighth wonder of the world and was supposed to build cutting-edge flat-panel display screens.A month earlier, Foxconns chairman said it might make electric vehicles (EVs) at the Wisconsin site, though could decide on Mexico, and would make a decision this year.
Chinas new vehicle market declined by a further 12.4% to 2.015m units in June 2021 from 2.3m in the same month of last year, according to passenger car and commercial vehicle wholesale data released by the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM).This was the second consecutive monthly decline for the market which local analysts blamed on continued shortages of semiconductors affecting output among some of the countrys key automakers.Overall vehicle production fell by 16.5% year-on-year last month, according to the association. Underlying demand for vehicles in the country remained strong with the market having already recovered to pre-pandemic levels driven by strong pent-up demand and low interest rates.
Knorr-Bremse said it had stopped pursuing a potential acquisition of a majority stake in Hella.Following what the supplier described as careful analysis, the executive board determined the possible transfer of key technologies and products to its own product portfolio would not result in the realisation of expected synergies.Knorr-Bremse maintained the primary focus remained organic growth and it continued to explore opportunities to increase the value of the company through acquisitions or partnerships.We have always considered opportunities for value-enhancing transactions with leading international companies, which is why we looked at Hella, said CEO, Jan Mrosik.However, we did not see the necessary synergies in the potential transfer of competencies, particularly in the commercial vehicle sector. As a result, we determined this acquisition would not create sufficient additional value for our shareholders.
As Nissan launched its latest Qashqai in Europe, we spoke to Andrew Humberstone, Nissan Motors GB managing director. The new Qashqai also brings the first deployment of Nissans e-POWER drive system to Europe, sales of which are scheduled to start following those of the mild-hybrid version. To meet the typical needs of European consumers and their daily drive, the e-POWER system has been upgraded for the new Qashqai with the adoption of Nissans world-first variable compression ratio petrol engine as the dedicated electricity generating unit. The result, Nissan says, is a compact, high-output electrified system that, thanks also to the high combustion efficiency of the engine, delivers more efficiency. Sales will start with the mild-hybrid version, while the e-POWER version will follow later.
The proliferation of electric vehicles over the last decade, combined with Teslas rise to prominence has brought with it a new wave of electric vehicle startups. With investors keen to splash the cash to find the next Tesla, many innovative companies are springing up, each claiming to be a revolution in the electric vehicle market. Canoo is yet another EV startup aiming to carve out a slice of the market, but what sets it apart from the rest?
As volumes rise rapidly, the supply of precious metals for EV batteries is emerging as an issue for the long-term. Is there a solution of abundance on the ocean floor?
In the latest guest article written exclusively for Just Auto, Dato Madani Sahari, the CEO of Malaysia Automotive, Robotics and IoT Institute (MARii), outlines the importance of efforts to develop Malaysias advanced technology platforms alongside its human capital.
Have a nice weekend.
Graeme Roberts, Deputy Editor, Just Auto, GlobalData
GlobalData can provide actionable insights to drive your company forward
GlobalData can provide actionable insights to drive your company forward
28 Aug 2020
- IonQ and University of Maryland Researchers Demonstrate Fault-Tolerant Error Correction, Critical for Unlocking the Full Potential of Quantum... - October 12th, 2021
- Quantum computing startups pull in millions as VCs rush to get ahead of the game - The Register - October 12th, 2021
- Zapata, University of Hull researchers take quantum computing to deep space - FierceElectronics - October 12th, 2021
- IBM and Raytheon Technologies collaborate on AI, cryptography and quantum technologies - Scientific Computing World - October 12th, 2021
- How science and diplomacy inform each other - SWI swissinfo.ch - swissinfo.ch - October 12th, 2021
- Digital Wealth Management Fees to Increase Threefold to $12.6 Billion By 2026 - Yahoo Finance - October 12th, 2021
- Is Neuromorphic Computing The Answer For Autonomous Driving And Personal Robotics? - Forbes - October 12th, 2021
- IonQ is set to make its public trading debut. Here's a look at the quantum computing company's 2021 highlights - Technical.ly DC - October 2nd, 2021
- Connecting the Dots Between Material Properties and Superconducting Qubit Performance - SciTechDaily - October 2nd, 2021
- Quantum Computing in Agriculture Market to Witness Stellar CAGR During the Forecast Period 2021 -2026 - Northwest Diamond Notes - October 2nd, 2021
- What is quantum computing? - September 21st, 2021
- Why quantum computing is a security threat and how to defend against it [Q&A] - BetaNews - September 21st, 2021
- 'This Is The Beginning Of A New Industry': College Park Looks To Quantum Computing To Spark Office Growth - Bisnow - September 21st, 2021
- Prepare for the next phase of digital transformation at The Quantum Computing Summit - UKTN - UKTN (UK Technology News - September 21st, 2021
- A Simple Equation Indicates Wormholes May Be the Key to Quantum Gravity - Interesting Engineering - September 21st, 2021
- Explore Trends and COVID-19 Impact on Quantum Computing Market 2021 Research Report and Industry Forecast till 2027 | Know More Stillwater Current -... - September 21st, 2021
- Australias nuclear submarines and AUKUS: The view from Jakarta - Brookings Institution - September 21st, 2021
- Research on Quantum Computing in Health Care Market 2021: By Growing Rate, Type, Applications, Geographical Regions, and Forecast to 2026 - Northwest... - September 15th, 2021
- Atomically-Thin, Twisted Graphene Has Unique Properties That Could Advance Quantum Computing - SciTechDaily - September 15th, 2021
- For The First Time, Scientists Have Entangled Three Qubits on Silicon - ScienceAlert - September 15th, 2021
- UChicago, Duality Teams to Pitch at 2021 Chicago Venture Summit - Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation - Polsky Center for... - September 15th, 2021
- View: Its the Spacetime to Quantum - Economic Times - September 15th, 2021
- IonQ Scores Quantum Computing Deal With University Of Maryland And Announces Its Tripling 2021 Bookings - Forbes - September 11th, 2021
- How Horizon Plans To Bring Quantum Computing Out Of The Shadows - Forbes - September 11th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Breakthrough: Entanglement of Three Spin Qubits Achieved in Silicon - SciTechDaily - September 11th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Theorist Vojtech Vlcek Receives Research Award from DOE - HPCwire - September 11th, 2021
- UMD, IonQ join forces to create the nation's first quantum computing lab in College Park - The Diamondback - September 11th, 2021
- Quantum computing breakthrough achieved, road to the future begins now - TweakTown - September 11th, 2021
- Leading Chinese researchers are looking at the coming quantum revolution - The Press Stories - September 4th, 2021
- Top 10 Data Center Stories of the Month: August 2021 - Data Center Knowledge - September 4th, 2021
- Large-Scale Simulations Of The Brain May Need To Wait For Quantum Computers - Forbes - September 3rd, 2021
- NSA: We 'don't know when or even if' a quantum computer will ever be able to break today's public-key encryption - The Register - September 3rd, 2021
- IBM quantum computing: From healthcare to automotive to energy, real use cases are in play - TechRepublic - September 1st, 2021
- Quantum Computing in Manufacturing Market Rising Trends-Microsoft, D-Wave Solutions, Rigetti Computing, Intel UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel... - September 1st, 2021
- Quantum computers could read all your encrypted data. This 'quantum-safe' VPN aims to stop that - ZDNet - August 30th, 2021
- Sumitomo Corporation Quantum Transformation (QX) Project Announces Its Vision and Activities at the IEEE Quantum AI Sustainability Symposium -... - August 30th, 2021
- Life, the universe and everything Physics seeks the future - The Economist - August 30th, 2021
- This Exotic Particle Had an Out-of-Body Experience These Surprised Scientists Took a Picture of It - SciTechDaily - August 30th, 2021
- Deloitte's quantum computing leader on the technology's healthcare future - Healthcare IT News - August 24th, 2021
- Experiments Prove Quantum Computing Errors Correlated, Tied to Cosmic Rays - SciTechDaily - August 24th, 2021
- Urgent Warning Issued Over The Future Of Bitcoin Even As The Crypto Market Price Smashes Past $2 Trillion - Forbes - August 24th, 2021
- Sumitomo Corporation Quantum Transformation (QX) Project Announces Its Vision and Activities at the IEEE Quantum AI Sustainability Symposium - Yahoo... - August 24th, 2021
- Energy Department Sets $61M of Funding to Advance QIS Research - MeriTalk - August 24th, 2021
- Quantum Takes the Scenic Route in Automotive - The Next Platform - August 14th, 2021
- Quantum computing: How BMW is getting ready for the next technology revolution - ZDNet - August 10th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Tech is Amazing. But What Does Business Think? - DesignNews - August 10th, 2021
- AWS leverages Singapore scientists to overcome the hurdles facing quantum computing The Register - Illinoisnewstoday.com - August 10th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Market 2021 with Top Countries Data Analysis by Industry Trends, Size, Share and Company Overview - Digital Journal - August 10th, 2021
- 'Magic Angle' Graphene and How it Could be a Magnet-Proof Superconducter - AZoM - August 10th, 2021
- Healthcare technology development is being accelerated by the COVID-19 pandemic - Healthcare Finance News - August 10th, 2021
- From theory to reality: Google claims to created physics-defying 'time crystal' inside its quantum computer - Silicon Canals - August 6th, 2021
- Google says it has created a time crystal in a quantum computer, and it's weirder than you can imagine - ZDNet - August 6th, 2021
- T-Hub, HCL to collaborate on Quantum Computing and Deep Tech. - The Hindu - August 6th, 2021
- Google announces that it may have created a "time crystal" that breaks physics - Texasnewstoday.com - August 6th, 2021
- Why it's time to wake up to the quantum threat - Finextra - Finextra - Finextra - August 6th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Market 2021-2025Top Trends, Business Opportunity, and Growth Strategy The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - August 6th, 2021
- Superconductivity Research: Researchers Develop New Material that Enables Quantum Information-Based Technology - Science Times - August 6th, 2021
- AI, quantum computing and other technologies poised to transform healthcare - Healthcare Finance News - August 5th, 2021
- Data Analytica Just Released Their New Quantum Computing Simulation Software - PR.com - August 5th, 2021
- Q-CTRL, University of Sydney Devise Machine Learning Technique Used to Pinpoint Quantum Errors - HPCwire - August 5th, 2021
- Q-CTRL: machine learning technique to pinpoint quantum errors - News - The University of Sydney - August 5th, 2021
- U.S. DoE sends another $ 73 million into the future of Quantum - Illinoisnewstoday.com - August 5th, 2021
- Harvard-led physicists have taken a major step in the competition with quantum computing - Illinoisnewstoday.com - July 18th, 2021
- Startup hopes the world is ready to buy quantum processors - Ars Technica - July 16th, 2021
- Rigetti Computing Partners with Riverlane, Astex Pharmaceuticals to Advance Quantum Computing for Drug Discovery - Yahoo Finance - July 16th, 2021
- Quantum computing: This new 100-qubit processor is built with atoms cooled down near to absolute zero - ZDNet - July 10th, 2021
- This quantum computer with a 3D chip is heading into the cloud - ZDNet - July 10th, 2021
- French researchers on the verge of quantum computing milestone - RFI English - July 10th, 2021
- IBM partners with UK on $ 300 million quantum computing research initiative - Illinoisnewstoday.com - July 10th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Software Market worth $0.43 billion by 2026 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - July 10th, 2021
- African Education Minister Has Big Hi-Tech Dreams And Makes Music Videos Too : Goats and Soda - NPR - July 10th, 2021
- Why industry supports the government's $110 billion bet on technology R&D - Federal News Network - July 10th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Breakthrough: Unveiling Properties of New Superconductor - Analytics Insight - July 2nd, 2021
- The only answer to the quantum cybersecurity threat is quantum - Sifted - July 2nd, 2021
- Quantum computers are already detangling natures mysteries - Wired.co.uk - June 18th, 2021
- What Are the Quantum Computing Threats to Security? - Design and Reuse - Design and Reuse - June 18th, 2021
- Cutting-edge research into quantum computing: BMW Group and Technical University of Munich agree to create an endowed chair in Quantum Algorithms and... - June 18th, 2021
- Is quantum computing about to change the world? - BroadbandDeals - June 18th, 2021
- Clearing the way toward robust quantum computing - MIT News - June 16th, 2021
- Heres How Quantum Computers Will Really Affect Cryptocurrencies - Forbes - June 16th, 2021