Quantum computing has enormous potential in healthcare and has started to impact the industry in various ways.
For example, quantum computing offers the ability to track and diagnose disease. Using sensors, quantum technology has the ability to track the progress of cancer treatments and diagnose and monitor such degenerative diseases as multiple sclerosis.
The tech also can help modernize supply chains. Quantum technology can solve routing issues in real time using live data such as weather and traffic updates to help determine the most efficient method of delivery. This would have been particularly helpful during the pandemic since many states had issues with vaccine deliveries.
Elsewhere, quantum technology can impact early-stage drug discovery. Pharmaceuticals can take a decade or longer to bring to market. Quantum computing could lower the costs and reduce the time.
"In the simplest terms, quantum computing harnesses the mysterious properties of quantum mechanics to solve problems using individual atoms and subatomic particles," explained Scott Buchholz, emerging technology research director and government and public services CTO at Deloitte Consulting. "Quantum computers can be thought of as akin to supercomputers.
"However, today's supercomputers solve problems by performing trillions of math calculations very quickly to predict the weather, study air flow over wings, etc.," he continued. "Quantum computers work very differently they perform calculations all at once, limited by the number of qubitsof information that they currently hold."
Because of how differently they work, they aren't well suited for all problems, but they're a fit forcertain types of problems, such as molecular simulation, optimization and machine learning.
"What's important to note is that today's most advanced quantum computers still aren't especially powerful," Buchholz noted.
"Many calculations they currently can do can be performed on a laptop computer. However, if quantum computers continue to scale exponentially that is, the number of qubitsthey use for computation continues to double every year or so they will become dramatically more powerful in years to come.
"Because quantum computers can simulate atoms and other molecules much better than classical computers, researchers are investigating the future feasibility of doing drug discovery, target protein matching, calculating protein folding and more," he continued.
"That is, during the drug discovery process, they could be useful to dramatically reduce the time required to sort through existing databases of molecules to look for targets, identify potential new drugs with novel properties, identify potential new targets and more."
Researchers also are investigating the possibility of simulating or optimizing manufacturing processes for molecules, which potentially could help make scaling up manufacturing easier over time. While these advances won't eliminate the lengthy testing process, they may well accelerate the initial discovery process for interesting molecules.
"Quantum computing may also directly and indirectly lead to the ability to diagnose disease," Buchholz said. "Given future machines' ability to sort through complex problems quickly, they may be able to accelerate the processing of some of the techniques that are being developed today, say those that are designed to identify harmful genetic mutations or combinations.
"Indirectly, some of the materials that were investigated for quantum computers turned out to be better as sensors," he added. "Researchers are investigating quantum-based technologies to make smaller, more sensitive, lower-power sensors. In the future, these sensors and exotic materials may be combined in clever ways to help with disease identification and diagnosis."
Quantum computers will improve the ability to optimize logistics and routing, potentially easing bottlenecks in supply chains or identifying areas of improvement, Buchholz said.
Perhaps more interestingly, due to their ability to simulate molecular interactions, researchers are looking at their ability to optimize manufacturing processes to be quicker, use less energy and produce less waste, he added. That could lead to alternative manufacturing techniques that could simplify healthcare supply chains, he noted.
"Ultimately, the promise of quantum computers is to make some things faster like optimization and machine learning and make some things practical like large scale molecular and process simulation," he said.
"While the technology to solve the 'at scale' problems is still several years in the future, researchers currently are working hard today to put the foundations in place to tackle these problems as the hardware capacity of quantum computers advances.
"Should the hardware researchers achieve some of the sought after scalability breakthroughs, that promise could accelerate," he concluded.
Twitter:@SiwickiHealthITEmail the writer:email@example.comHealthcare IT News is a HIMSS Media publication.
Go here to read the rest:
Deloitte's quantum computing leader on the technology's healthcare future - Healthcare IT News
- Quantum Computing in Silicon Breaks a Crucial Threshold for the First Time - Singularity Hub - January 24th, 2022
- Microsoft Quantum Computing Executive Sees Progress After Lagging Rivals - The Information - January 24th, 2022
- US Army visits Brazil in search of technological partnership for Security and Defense areas - Dialogo-Americas.com - January 24th, 2022
- LG Electronics Joins the IBM Quantum Network - Database Trends and Applications - January 24th, 2022
- Hyperion Research Says 2021 Will Be an Exceptional Growth Year for the Global HPC Market - HPCwire - January 24th, 2022
- MSU Forms Quantum Alliance with Purdue and University of Michigan - HPCwire - January 8th, 2022
- EPFL engineers find promising way to boost computing power of quantum computers. - Science Business - January 8th, 2022
- Power Moves: Meet the newest faces on the DMV's quantum computing scene - Technical.ly DC - January 8th, 2022
- 2022 will be the year of deeptech say investors - Sifted - January 8th, 2022
- Super-Resolution Imaging of a Single Cold Atom on a Nanosecond Timescale - SciTechDaily - January 8th, 2022
- Will Innovation Make Us Better Off? - Forbes - January 8th, 2022
- The tech that will change the dialogue n 2022 - Mint - December 29th, 2021
- Is Taiwan's Five-year Quantum Computing and Talent Initiative the Wrong Strategy for the Island Nation? - OODA Loop - December 22nd, 2021
- 10 technology trends that could prove to be real game-changers - Mint - December 22nd, 2021
- Deep tech in 2022: the future is looking artificially intelligent - Information Age - December 22nd, 2021
- ixFintech Group Limited Announces Launch of ixWallet 2.0 and Plans to Launch New Asset-backed TeaCoin - Business Wire - December 22nd, 2021
- 15 Truly Unbelievable Ways Science Changed the World in 2021 - Fatherly - December 22nd, 2021
- What Is Quantum Computing? | NVIDIA Blog - December 20th, 2021
- What is Quantum Computing? | IBM - December 20th, 2021
- Quantum computing: Now Rigetti explores qutrits as well as qubits - ZDNet - December 20th, 2021
- Research Team Reaches Milestone in Quantum Computing with Error Correction - HPCwire - December 20th, 2021
- Spain-based startup Multiverse Computing receives 12.5M from EIC to bring quantum computing to finance companies - Silicon Canals - December 20th, 2021
- Smart Internet Lab will deliver Quantum Data Centre of the Future - ITP.net - December 20th, 2021
- Which emerging technologies present the greatest opportunities for business? - The Globe and Mail - December 20th, 2021
- The Quantum Moments: Top Quantum Computing Things to Recall from 2021 - Analytics Insight - December 12th, 2021
- Research Fellow, Quantum Hardware Engineer, NQCH, Centre for Quantum Technologies job with NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE | 274414 - Times Higher... - December 12th, 2021
- IOG Has Already Started Process of Making Cardano Resistant Against Quantum Attacks - CryptoGlobe - December 12th, 2021
- Microsoft and KPMG will try out quantum algorithms on real-world problems - GeekWire - December 3rd, 2021
- Honeywell Superpositions Itself in the Quantum Computing Industry With New Company Quantinuum - TECHdotMN - December 3rd, 2021
- Where does EU stand in the quantum computing race with China and US? - TechHQ - December 3rd, 2021
- Pistoia Alliance predicts a focus on the fight against antimicrobial resistance and a surge in quantum computing research for 2022 - Bio-IT World - November 25th, 2021
- Atom Computing: A Quantum Computing Startup That Believes It Can Ultimately Win The Qubit Race - Forbes - November 22nd, 2021
- Creating Dynamic Symmetry in Diamond Crystals To Improve Qubits for Quantum Computing - SciTechDaily - November 22nd, 2021
- Don Kahle: Quantum quandaries are emerging - The Register-Guard - November 22nd, 2021
- 4 key threats to the new central bank digital currencies - World Economic Forum - November 22nd, 2021
- IBM creates largest ever superconducting quantum computer - New Scientist - November 15th, 2021
- Quantum computing breakthrough may help us learn about the earliest moments of the universe - TechRadar - November 15th, 2021
- Atos and NVIDIA to Advance Climate and Healthcare Research With Exascale Computing - HPCwire - November 15th, 2021
- IBM Launches Its First Quantum Computing Certification | The Info-Tech Brief - Oakland News Now - November 15th, 2021
- Intel Marks 50th Anniversary of the Intel 4004 - HPCwire - November 15th, 2021
- QCI Qatalyst Selected by BMW Group and Amazon Web Services as a Finalist in the Quantum Computing Challenge - HPCwire - November 11th, 2021
- Will Quantum Computers Burst The Bitcoin Boom? - Forbes - November 10th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Market Research Report by Technology, by Deployment, by Offering, by End-Use, by Application, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 -... - November 10th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Inc. to Present at the ROTH 10th Annual - GlobeNewswire - November 10th, 2021
- QCI Qatalyst Selected by BMW Group and Amazon Web Services - GlobeNewswire - November 10th, 2021
- Nvidia Declares That It Is A Full-Stack Platform - The Next Platform - November 10th, 2021
- ANET: Add These 3 Soaring Computer Hardware Stocks to Your Watchlist - StockNews.com - November 10th, 2021
- Rigetti and Oxford Instruments Participate and Sponsor The City - Marketscreener.com - November 10th, 2021
- Lost in Space-Time newsletter: Will a twisted universe save cosmology? - New Scientist - November 10th, 2021
- IonQ Is First Quantum Startup to Go Public; Will It be First to Deliver Profits? - HPCwire - November 6th, 2021
- QUANTUM COMPUTING INC. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations, (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - November 6th, 2021
- Pasqal named startup of the year by L'Usine Nouvelle - EurekAlert - November 6th, 2021
- Quantum Blockchain Technologies Plc - Update on FPGA and ASIC Development - Yahoo Finance UK - November 6th, 2021
- Quantum Xchange Joins the Hudson Institute's Quantum Alliance Initiative - PRNewswire - November 6th, 2021
- Is This the Right Time for a Cryptography Risk Assessment? - Security Boulevard - November 6th, 2021
- IBM and Raytheon Collaborating on AI, Cryptography, and Quantum Computing - Datamation - October 30th, 2021
- AWS Announces Opening of the AWS Center for Quantum Computing - HPCwire - October 30th, 2021
- China makes a quantum computer streets ahead of the US - Fudzilla - October 30th, 2021
- CyberHive's Gareth Lockwood on how quantum computing changes the rules of threat protection - TechCentral.ie - October 30th, 2021
- Amazon partners with UCLA on science hub focusing on AI and its social impact - Yahoo Finance - October 30th, 2021
- Sumitomo Corporation Quantum Transformation (QX) Project - Quantum Computer Improves Performance of Traffic Control for Flying Cars, One Step Closer... - October 20th, 2021
- 3 CQE members Receive Awards from the American Physical Society - HPCwire - October 20th, 2021
- INSIDE QUANTUM TECHNOLOGY New York, The Largest Business Quantum Technology Conference and Exhibition, Announces Focus on Quantum Safe Initiatives and... - October 20th, 2021
- Incredible Growth of Quantum Computing in Health Care Market by 2028 | D-Wave Solutions, IBM, Google EcoChunk - EcoChunk - October 20th, 2021
- IonQ and University of Maryland Researchers Demonstrate Fault-Tolerant Error Correction, Critical for Unlocking the Full Potential of Quantum... - October 12th, 2021
- Quantum computing startups pull in millions as VCs rush to get ahead of the game - The Register - October 12th, 2021
- Zapata, University of Hull researchers take quantum computing to deep space - FierceElectronics - October 12th, 2021
- IBM and Raytheon Technologies collaborate on AI, cryptography and quantum technologies - Scientific Computing World - October 12th, 2021
- How science and diplomacy inform each other - SWI swissinfo.ch - swissinfo.ch - October 12th, 2021
- Digital Wealth Management Fees to Increase Threefold to $12.6 Billion By 2026 - Yahoo Finance - October 12th, 2021
- Is Neuromorphic Computing The Answer For Autonomous Driving And Personal Robotics? - Forbes - October 12th, 2021
- IonQ is set to make its public trading debut. Here's a look at the quantum computing company's 2021 highlights - Technical.ly DC - October 2nd, 2021
- Connecting the Dots Between Material Properties and Superconducting Qubit Performance - SciTechDaily - October 2nd, 2021
- Quantum Computing in Agriculture Market to Witness Stellar CAGR During the Forecast Period 2021 -2026 - Northwest Diamond Notes - October 2nd, 2021
- What is quantum computing? - September 21st, 2021
- Why quantum computing is a security threat and how to defend against it [Q&A] - BetaNews - September 21st, 2021
- 'This Is The Beginning Of A New Industry': College Park Looks To Quantum Computing To Spark Office Growth - Bisnow - September 21st, 2021
- Prepare for the next phase of digital transformation at The Quantum Computing Summit - UKTN - UKTN (UK Technology News - September 21st, 2021
- A Simple Equation Indicates Wormholes May Be the Key to Quantum Gravity - Interesting Engineering - September 21st, 2021
- Explore Trends and COVID-19 Impact on Quantum Computing Market 2021 Research Report and Industry Forecast till 2027 | Know More Stillwater Current -... - September 21st, 2021