Image credits: Google Quantum AI
As the Quantum computing race is heating up, many companies across countries are spending billions on different qubit technologies to stabilise and commercialise the technology. While it is too early to declare a winner in quantum computing, Googles quantum computing lab may have created something truly remarkable.
In the latest development, researchers at Google, in collaboration with physicists at Princeton, Stanford, and other universities, have created the worlds first Time Crystal inside a quantum computer.
Get to know the amazing finalists here
Time crystals developed by Google could be the biggest scientific accomplishment for fundamental physics and quantum physics. Dreamt up by the Nobel Prize-winning physicist Frank Wilczek in 2012, the notion of time crystals is now moving from theory to reality.
In a recently published study, Observation of Time-Crystalline Eigenstate Order on a Quantum Processor, the researchers claim that Time Crystal is a new phase of matter that violates Newtons law of Thermodynamics.
Well, a time crystal sounds like a complicated component of a time machine, but it is not. So, what exactly are Time Crystals? As per researchers, a time crystal is a new phase of matter that alternates between two shapes, never losing any energy during the process.
To make it simple, regular crystals are an arrangement of molecules or atoms that form a regular repeated pattern in space. A time crystal, on the other hand, is an arrangement of molecules or atoms that form a regular, repeated pattern but in time. Meaning, theyll sit in one pattern for a while, then flip to another, and repeat back and forth.
Explaining about Time Crystal in layman terms to Silicon Canals, Loc Henriet, head of Applications and Quantum Software, Pasqal, explains, Some phases of matter are known to spontaneously break symmetries. A crystal breaks spatial translation: one finds atoms only at well-defined positions. Magnets break discrete spin symmetry: the magnetisation points to a well-defined direction. However, no known physical system was known to break one of the simplest symmetries: translation in time. Googles DTC result is the most convincing experimental evidence of the existence of non-equilibrium states of matter that break time-translation symmetry.
Further, Time crystals can withstand energy processes without entropy and transform endlessly within an isolated system without expending any fuel or energy.
Our work employs a time-reversal protocol that discriminates external decoherence from intrinsic thermalisation, and leverages quantum typicality to circumvent the exponential cost of densely sampling the eigenspectrum, says researchers. In addition, we locate the phase transition out of the DTC with experimental finite-size analysis. These results establish a scalable approach to study non-equilibrium phases of matter on current quantum processors.
For the demonstration, the researchers used a chip with 20 qubits to serve as the time crystal. Its worth mentioning that researchers performed the experiments on Googles Sycamore device, which solved a task in 200 seconds that would take a conventional computer 10,000 years.
According to the researchers, their experiment offers preliminary evidence that their system could create time crystals. This discovery could have profound implications in the world of quantum computing if its proven.
Henriet shares, This result is most interesting from a fundamental physics standpoint, as an identification of a novel quantum phase of matter. In itself, it will not directly impact our day-to-day life but it illustrates the richness of many-body quantum physics out-of-equilibrium. It also proves that quantum processors are now powerful enough to discover new interesting regimes for quantum matter with disruptive properties.
The consequence is amazing: You evade the second law of thermodynamics, says Roderich Moessner, director of the Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems in Dresden, Germany, and a co-author on the Google paper.
This is just this completely new and exciting space that were working in now, says Vedika Khemani, a condensed matter physicist now at Stanford who co-discovered the novel phase, while she was a graduate student and co-authored the new paper with the Google team.
In 2012, Frank Wilczek came up with the idea of time crystals while teaching a class about ordinary (spatial) crystals.
If you think about crystals in space, its very natural also to think about the classification of crystalline behaviour in time, he told Quanta.
Googles quantum computer has certainly achieved what many thought was impossible. Having said that, the experiment is in the preliminary stage and requires a lot of work. Moreover, the pre-print version of the research awaits validation from the scientists community and has to be reviewed by peers as well.
There are good reasons to think that none of those experiments completely succeeded, and a quantum computer like [Googles] would be particularly well placed to do much better than those earlier experiments, University of Oxford physicist John Chalker, who wasnt involved in the research, told Quanta.
How partnering up with Salesforce helped him succeed!
- IonQ and University of Maryland Researchers Demonstrate Fault-Tolerant Error Correction, Critical for Unlocking the Full Potential of Quantum... - October 12th, 2021
- Quantum computing startups pull in millions as VCs rush to get ahead of the game - The Register - October 12th, 2021
- Zapata, University of Hull researchers take quantum computing to deep space - FierceElectronics - October 12th, 2021
- IBM and Raytheon Technologies collaborate on AI, cryptography and quantum technologies - Scientific Computing World - October 12th, 2021
- How science and diplomacy inform each other - SWI swissinfo.ch - swissinfo.ch - October 12th, 2021
- Digital Wealth Management Fees to Increase Threefold to $12.6 Billion By 2026 - Yahoo Finance - October 12th, 2021
- Is Neuromorphic Computing The Answer For Autonomous Driving And Personal Robotics? - Forbes - October 12th, 2021
- IonQ is set to make its public trading debut. Here's a look at the quantum computing company's 2021 highlights - Technical.ly DC - October 2nd, 2021
- Connecting the Dots Between Material Properties and Superconducting Qubit Performance - SciTechDaily - October 2nd, 2021
- Quantum Computing in Agriculture Market to Witness Stellar CAGR During the Forecast Period 2021 -2026 - Northwest Diamond Notes - October 2nd, 2021
- What is quantum computing? - September 21st, 2021
- Why quantum computing is a security threat and how to defend against it [Q&A] - BetaNews - September 21st, 2021
- 'This Is The Beginning Of A New Industry': College Park Looks To Quantum Computing To Spark Office Growth - Bisnow - September 21st, 2021
- Prepare for the next phase of digital transformation at The Quantum Computing Summit - UKTN - UKTN (UK Technology News - September 21st, 2021
- A Simple Equation Indicates Wormholes May Be the Key to Quantum Gravity - Interesting Engineering - September 21st, 2021
- Explore Trends and COVID-19 Impact on Quantum Computing Market 2021 Research Report and Industry Forecast till 2027 | Know More Stillwater Current -... - September 21st, 2021
- Australias nuclear submarines and AUKUS: The view from Jakarta - Brookings Institution - September 21st, 2021
- Research on Quantum Computing in Health Care Market 2021: By Growing Rate, Type, Applications, Geographical Regions, and Forecast to 2026 - Northwest... - September 15th, 2021
- Atomically-Thin, Twisted Graphene Has Unique Properties That Could Advance Quantum Computing - SciTechDaily - September 15th, 2021
- For The First Time, Scientists Have Entangled Three Qubits on Silicon - ScienceAlert - September 15th, 2021
- UChicago, Duality Teams to Pitch at 2021 Chicago Venture Summit - Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation - Polsky Center for... - September 15th, 2021
- View: Its the Spacetime to Quantum - Economic Times - September 15th, 2021
- IonQ Scores Quantum Computing Deal With University Of Maryland And Announces Its Tripling 2021 Bookings - Forbes - September 11th, 2021
- How Horizon Plans To Bring Quantum Computing Out Of The Shadows - Forbes - September 11th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Breakthrough: Entanglement of Three Spin Qubits Achieved in Silicon - SciTechDaily - September 11th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Theorist Vojtech Vlcek Receives Research Award from DOE - HPCwire - September 11th, 2021
- UMD, IonQ join forces to create the nation's first quantum computing lab in College Park - The Diamondback - September 11th, 2021
- Quantum computing breakthrough achieved, road to the future begins now - TweakTown - September 11th, 2021
- Leading Chinese researchers are looking at the coming quantum revolution - The Press Stories - September 4th, 2021
- Top 10 Data Center Stories of the Month: August 2021 - Data Center Knowledge - September 4th, 2021
- Large-Scale Simulations Of The Brain May Need To Wait For Quantum Computers - Forbes - September 3rd, 2021
- NSA: We 'don't know when or even if' a quantum computer will ever be able to break today's public-key encryption - The Register - September 3rd, 2021
- IBM quantum computing: From healthcare to automotive to energy, real use cases are in play - TechRepublic - September 1st, 2021
- Quantum Computing in Manufacturing Market Rising Trends-Microsoft, D-Wave Solutions, Rigetti Computing, Intel UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel... - September 1st, 2021
- Quantum computers could read all your encrypted data. This 'quantum-safe' VPN aims to stop that - ZDNet - August 30th, 2021
- Sumitomo Corporation Quantum Transformation (QX) Project Announces Its Vision and Activities at the IEEE Quantum AI Sustainability Symposium -... - August 30th, 2021
- Life, the universe and everything Physics seeks the future - The Economist - August 30th, 2021
- This Exotic Particle Had an Out-of-Body Experience These Surprised Scientists Took a Picture of It - SciTechDaily - August 30th, 2021
- Deloitte's quantum computing leader on the technology's healthcare future - Healthcare IT News - August 24th, 2021
- Experiments Prove Quantum Computing Errors Correlated, Tied to Cosmic Rays - SciTechDaily - August 24th, 2021
- Urgent Warning Issued Over The Future Of Bitcoin Even As The Crypto Market Price Smashes Past $2 Trillion - Forbes - August 24th, 2021
- Sumitomo Corporation Quantum Transformation (QX) Project Announces Its Vision and Activities at the IEEE Quantum AI Sustainability Symposium - Yahoo... - August 24th, 2021
- Energy Department Sets $61M of Funding to Advance QIS Research - MeriTalk - August 24th, 2021
- Quantum Takes the Scenic Route in Automotive - The Next Platform - August 14th, 2021
- Quantum computing: How BMW is getting ready for the next technology revolution - ZDNet - August 10th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Tech is Amazing. But What Does Business Think? - DesignNews - August 10th, 2021
- AWS leverages Singapore scientists to overcome the hurdles facing quantum computing The Register - Illinoisnewstoday.com - August 10th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Market 2021 with Top Countries Data Analysis by Industry Trends, Size, Share and Company Overview - Digital Journal - August 10th, 2021
- 'Magic Angle' Graphene and How it Could be a Magnet-Proof Superconducter - AZoM - August 10th, 2021
- Healthcare technology development is being accelerated by the COVID-19 pandemic - Healthcare Finance News - August 10th, 2021
- Google says it has created a time crystal in a quantum computer, and it's weirder than you can imagine - ZDNet - August 6th, 2021
- T-Hub, HCL to collaborate on Quantum Computing and Deep Tech. - The Hindu - August 6th, 2021
- Google announces that it may have created a "time crystal" that breaks physics - Texasnewstoday.com - August 6th, 2021
- Why it's time to wake up to the quantum threat - Finextra - Finextra - Finextra - August 6th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Market 2021-2025Top Trends, Business Opportunity, and Growth Strategy The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - August 6th, 2021
- Superconductivity Research: Researchers Develop New Material that Enables Quantum Information-Based Technology - Science Times - August 6th, 2021
- AI, quantum computing and other technologies poised to transform healthcare - Healthcare Finance News - August 5th, 2021
- Data Analytica Just Released Their New Quantum Computing Simulation Software - PR.com - August 5th, 2021
- Q-CTRL, University of Sydney Devise Machine Learning Technique Used to Pinpoint Quantum Errors - HPCwire - August 5th, 2021
- Q-CTRL: machine learning technique to pinpoint quantum errors - News - The University of Sydney - August 5th, 2021
- U.S. DoE sends another $ 73 million into the future of Quantum - Illinoisnewstoday.com - August 5th, 2021
- Harvard-led physicists have taken a major step in the competition with quantum computing - Illinoisnewstoday.com - July 18th, 2021
- Startup hopes the world is ready to buy quantum processors - Ars Technica - July 16th, 2021
- Covid isolation hits auto, Tom Tom's Virtual Horizon, BMW/Amazon quantum computing - the week - just-auto.com - July 16th, 2021
- Rigetti Computing Partners with Riverlane, Astex Pharmaceuticals to Advance Quantum Computing for Drug Discovery - Yahoo Finance - July 16th, 2021
- Quantum computing: This new 100-qubit processor is built with atoms cooled down near to absolute zero - ZDNet - July 10th, 2021
- This quantum computer with a 3D chip is heading into the cloud - ZDNet - July 10th, 2021
- French researchers on the verge of quantum computing milestone - RFI English - July 10th, 2021
- IBM partners with UK on $ 300 million quantum computing research initiative - Illinoisnewstoday.com - July 10th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Software Market worth $0.43 billion by 2026 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - July 10th, 2021
- African Education Minister Has Big Hi-Tech Dreams And Makes Music Videos Too : Goats and Soda - NPR - July 10th, 2021
- Why industry supports the government's $110 billion bet on technology R&D - Federal News Network - July 10th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Breakthrough: Unveiling Properties of New Superconductor - Analytics Insight - July 2nd, 2021
- The only answer to the quantum cybersecurity threat is quantum - Sifted - July 2nd, 2021
- Quantum computers are already detangling natures mysteries - Wired.co.uk - June 18th, 2021
- What Are the Quantum Computing Threats to Security? - Design and Reuse - Design and Reuse - June 18th, 2021
- Cutting-edge research into quantum computing: BMW Group and Technical University of Munich agree to create an endowed chair in Quantum Algorithms and... - June 18th, 2021
- Is quantum computing about to change the world? - BroadbandDeals - June 18th, 2021
- Clearing the way toward robust quantum computing - MIT News - June 16th, 2021
- Heres How Quantum Computers Will Really Affect Cryptocurrencies - Forbes - June 16th, 2021