Among the healthcare technologies venture firms be looking at most closely at in 2020, various artificial intelligence and machine learning applications are atop this list, of course. But so are more nuts-and-bolts tools like administrative process automation and patient engagement platforms, VCs say.
Other, more leading-edge technologies genomics-focused data and analytics, and even quantum computing are among the areas attracting investor interest this year.
"We expect 2020 to mark the first year where health IT venture firms will start to look at quantum computing technology for upcoming solutions," Dr. Anis Uzzaman, CEO and general partner of Pegasus Tech Ventures, told Healthcare IT News.
"With the breakthrough supremacy announcement from Google validating the technology and the subsequent launch of the service Amazon Braket in 2019, there is sure to be a new wave of entrepreneurial activity starting in 2020."
He said quantum computing technology holds a lot of promise for the healthcare industry with potential breakthroughs possible throughout the health IT stack from operations and administration to security.
Among the promising companies, Uzzaman pointed to Palo Alto-based QC Ware, a startup pioneering a software solution that enables companies to use a variety of quantum hardware platforms such as Rigetti and IBM to solve a variety of enterprise problems, including those specifically related to healthcare.
He also predicted artificial intelligence would continue to be at the forefront for health IT venture firms in 2020 as it becomes more clear which startups may be winners in their initial target sectors.
"There has been consistent growth of investment activity over the past few years into healthcare startups using artificial intelligence to target a range of areas from imaging to diagnostics," he said.
However, Uzzaman also noted regulation and long enterprise sales cycles have largely slowed the ability for these companies to significantly scale their revenues.
"Therefore, we anticipate 2020 will be the year where it will become clearer to health IT venture firms who will be winners in applying artificial intelligence to imaging, pathology, genomics, operations, diagnostics, transcription, and more," he said. "We will also continue to see moderate growth in the overall investment amount in machine learning and AI companies, but will see a notable decrease in the number of companies receiving an investment.
Uzzaman explained there were already some signs in late 2019 that there could be late in a short-term innovation cycle for artificial intelligence with many companies, particularly those applying machine learning and AI to robotics, shutting down.
"However, we anticipate many companies will reach greater scale with their solutions and separate themselves from the competition, which will translate into more mega funding rounds," he said.
Ezra Mehlman, managing partner with Health Enterprise Partners, explained that at the beginning of each year, the firm conducts a market mapping exercise to determine which healthcare IT categories are rising to the top of the prioritization queue of its network of hospital and health plan limited partners.
"In the past year, we have seen budgets meaningfully open for automation solutions in administrative processing, genomics-focused data and analytics offerings, aging-in-place technologies and, in particular, patient engagement platforms rooted in proven clinical use cases," he said. "We are actively looking at all of these spaces."
He pointed out that in 2018, more than $2 billion was invested into artificial intelligence and machine learning healthcare IT companies, which represented a quarter of the total dollars invested into digital health companies that year.
"We view this as a recognition of two things: the meteoric aspirations that the market has assigned to AI and machine learning's potential, and a general sense that the underlying healthcare data infrastructure has reached the point of maturity, where it is possible to realize ROI from AI/machine learning initiatives," he said.
However, he said Health Enterprise Partners is still waiting for the "breakout" to occur in adoption.
"We believe we have now reached the point where category leaders will emerge in each major healthcare AI subsector and the usage will become more widespread we have made one such investment in the clinical AI space in the last year," Mehlman said.
Heading into 2020, Mehlman said companies that cannot deliver high-six-figure, year-one ROI in the form of increased revenue or reduced cost will struggle, and companies that cannot crisply answer the question, "Who is the buyer and what is the budget?" will be challenged.
"If one applies these tests to some of the areas that have attracted the most healthcare VC investment--social determinants of health, blockchain and digital therapeutics to name a few the number of viable companies sharply drops off," he said.
Mehlman noted that while these sound like simple principles, the current environment of rapidly consolidating, budget-constrained hospitals, vertically integrating health plans, and big tech companies making inroads into healthcare has raised the bar on what is required for a healthcare startup to gain meaningful market traction.
- Quantum Computing strikes technology partnership with Splunk - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - March 26th, 2020
- Devs: Alex Garland on Tech Company Cults, Quantum Computing, and Determinism - Den of Geek UK - March 26th, 2020
- Is Machine Learning The Quantum Physics Of Computer Science ? - Forbes - March 26th, 2020
- Recent PDF Report : Quantum Computing Market 2020: In-depth Industry Analysis By Size, Share, Competition, Opportunities And Growth By 2029 - Sound On... - March 26th, 2020
- Organisms grow in wave pattern, similar to ocean circulation - Big Think - March 26th, 2020
- Tech incubator Fountech.Ventures launches in US and UK - UKTN - March 26th, 2020
- Why resilience is the key to future security - Raconteur - March 22nd, 2020
- Quantum computing is right around the corner, but cooling is a problem. What are the options? - Diginomica - March 21st, 2020
- Quantum Computing: Will It Actually Produce Jobs? - Dice Insights - March 21st, 2020
- Quantum computing, AI, China, and synthetics highlighted in 2020 Tech Trends report - VentureBeat - March 16th, 2020
- Early investment in quantum computing could result in a competitive advantage - Help Net Security - March 16th, 2020
- Quantum Computing for Everyone - The Startup - Medium - March 16th, 2020
- UC Riverside to lead scalable quantum computing project using 3D printed ion traps - 3D Printing Industry - March 16th, 2020
- Deltec Bank, Bahamas - Quantum Computing Will have Positive Impacts on Portfolio Optimization, Risk Analysis, Asset Pricing, and Trading Strategies -... - March 16th, 2020
- NIST Works on the Industries of the Future in Buildings from the Past - Nextgov - March 16th, 2020
- Archer Materials" patent application received by World Intellectual Property Organisation - Proactive Investors Australia - March 16th, 2020
- Why the Journey to Cloud Must Start With the Workforce - AiThority - March 9th, 2020
- 'Devs': How the FX on Hulu show's tech compares with reality - Los Angeles Times - March 5th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2025 - Express Journal - March 5th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market 2019 Analysis by Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2029 - News Times - March 5th, 2020
- Cracking the uncertainty around quantum computing - Information Age - March 4th, 2020
- Surprise contender Honeywell enters the quantum computing race - New Scientist News - March 4th, 2020
- Cambridge Quantum Computing teams up with CERN to advance quantum technologies - IT Brief Australia - March 4th, 2020
- Gilles Brassard honoured by the BBVA Foundation for his work in quantum computing - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - March 4th, 2020
- The view of quantum threats from the front lines - JAXenter - February 24th, 2020
- U.S. Progress on AI and Quantum Computing Will Best China, Says CTO Michael Kratsios - BroadbandBreakfast.com - February 24th, 2020
- Scientists Have Discovered a Brand New Electronic State of Matter - ScienceAlert - February 24th, 2020
- Where the Buzz About Quantum Computing Is Wrong - Toolbox - February 21st, 2020
- New report: Quantum Computing Market Size position and size report for 2019 to 2023 recently published - Instant Tech News - February 21st, 2020
- Global Deep Learning Chip Market (2019 to 2027) - Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities and Trends - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 21st, 2020
- Quantum Computing Technologies Market: Industry Players Analysis, New Innovation, Growth Prospects, Size, Growth, Revenue, Development Policy,... - February 21st, 2020
- Why Quantum Computing Gets Special Attention In The Trump Administration's Budget Proposal - Texas Standard - February 20th, 2020
- Quantum Internet: The Technology That Could Change Everything? - The National Interest Online - February 20th, 2020
- HPC User Forum to Explore AI-HPDA Use In Banking and Investment Firms - insideHPC - February 20th, 2020
- 29 deeptech VCs in Europe you need to know - Sifted - February 20th, 2020
- Why Quantum Computing Gets Special Attention In The Trump Administration's Budget Proposal - KUT - February 19th, 2020
- The $600 quantum computer that could spell the end for conventional encryption - BetaNews - February 19th, 2020
- Quantum Internet Workshop Begins Mapping the Future of Quantum Communications - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - February 19th, 2020
- Correcting the jitters in quantum devices - MIT News - February 19th, 2020
- Govt creates tech group to chart the tech landscape for India - Economic Times - February 19th, 2020
- The EU is preparing to invest 2bn in a cloud computing alliance - NS Tech - February 19th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 19th, 2020
- Russian Quantum Center and Nissan have launched a project in the field of quantum chemistry - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - February 17th, 2020
- QUANTUM COMPUTING TECHNOLOGIES Market: Comprehensive study explores Huge Growth in Future | D-Wave Systems Inc., IBM Corporation, Lockheed Martin... - February 17th, 2020
- Quantum Internet Workshop Begins Mapping the Future of Quantum Communications - HPCwire - February 17th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast by 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Size Outlook 2026: Prime Firms, Trends, Growth Factors Details by Regions, Sorts and Applications - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- Nobody is behind in science and technology: Serguie Beloussov - Kuensel, Buhutan's National Newspaper - February 17th, 2020
- China beats US in key patents to secure technological dominance - The News International - February 17th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market 2019 Analysis by Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 15th, 2020
- Chinese researchers smash the record for realising two entangled quantum memories at maximum distance - www.computing.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Quantum Computing: How To Invest In It, And Which Companies Are Leading the Way? - Nasdaq - February 14th, 2020
- DOE Workshop Begins Mapping the Future of Quantum Communications - insideHPC - February 14th, 2020
- Scientists discover how to use time crystals to power superconductors - Big Think - February 14th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market With Four Main Geographies And Their Countries - Instant Tech News - February 14th, 2020
- Russian Quantum Center and Nissan have launched a project in the field of quantum chemistry - Research Snipers - February 14th, 2020
- Global Quantum Computing Market Newest Research Report In PDF With Forecast [2020-2029] : International Business Machines (IBM) Corporation, Google... - February 14th, 2020
- Budget 2020: Govt bets on AI, data analytics and quantum computing - Livemint - February 2nd, 2020
- This Week's Awesome Tech Stories From Around the Web (Through February 1) - Singularity Hub - February 2nd, 2020
- AI has great potential in transforming the world: Alphabet CEO Sundar Pichai - YourStory - February 2nd, 2020
- Budget 2020: New scheme to boost local manufacturing of mobiles, will iPhone get cheaper now? - India Today - February 2nd, 2020
- What Is Quantum Computing and How Does it Work? - Built In - January 30th, 2020
- IBM Just Called Out Google Over Their "Quantum Computer" - The National Interest Online - January 30th, 2020
- Quantum Computing releases its new software application called Mukai - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - January 30th, 2020
- Burning Things With Big Lasers In The Name Of Security - Hackaday - January 30th, 2020
- What Is Quantum Computing, And How Can It Unlock Value For Businesses? - Computer Business Review - January 27th, 2020
- The End Of The Digital Revolution Is Coming: Here's What's Next - Innovation Excellence - January 27th, 2020
- Delta Partners with IBM to Explore Quantum Computing - Database Trends and Applications - January 27th, 2020
- New Centers Lead the Way towards a Quantum Future - Energy.gov - January 27th, 2020
- ASC20 Finals to be Held in Shenzhen, Tasks Include Quantum Computing Simulation and AI Language Exam - HPCwire - January 27th, 2020
- Toshiba says it created an algorithm that beats quantum computers using standard hardware - TechSpot - January 27th, 2020
- Quantum networking projected to be $5.5 billion market in 2025 - TechRepublic - January 27th, 2020
- University of Sheffield launches Quantum centre to develop the technologies of tomorrow - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - January 27th, 2020
- 5 Emerging Technologies That Will Shape this Decade - San Diego Entertainer Magazine - January 27th, 2020
- Is Quantum Technology The Future Of The World? - The Coin Republic - January 12th, 2020
- Were approaching the limits of computer power we need new programmers now - The Guardian - January 12th, 2020
- Global Quantum Computing Market: What it got next? Find out with the latest research available at PMI - Pro News Time - January 12th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Technologies Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2020-2025, Latest study reveals - ReportsPioneer - January 12th, 2020
- Podcast: The Overhype and Underestimation of Quantum Computing - insideHPC - January 10th, 2020
- Charles Hoskinson Predicts Economic Collapse, Rise of Quantum Computing, Space Travel and Cryptocurrency in the 2020s - The Daily Hodl - January 10th, 2020