Among the healthcare technologies venture firms be looking at most closely at in 2020, various artificial intelligence and machine learning applications are atop this list, of course. But so are more nuts-and-bolts tools like administrative process automation and patient engagement platforms, VCs say.
Other, more leading-edge technologies genomics-focused data and analytics, and even quantum computing are among the areas attracting investor interest this year.
"We expect 2020 to mark the first year where health IT venture firms will start to look at quantum computing technology for upcoming solutions," Dr. Anis Uzzaman, CEO and general partner of Pegasus Tech Ventures, told Healthcare IT News.
"With the breakthrough supremacy announcement from Google validating the technology and the subsequent launch of the service Amazon Braket in 2019, there is sure to be a new wave of entrepreneurial activity starting in 2020."
He said quantum computing technology holds a lot of promise for the healthcare industry with potential breakthroughs possible throughout the health IT stack from operations and administration to security.
Among the promising companies, Uzzaman pointed to Palo Alto-based QC Ware, a startup pioneering a software solution that enables companies to use a variety of quantum hardware platforms such as Rigetti and IBM to solve a variety of enterprise problems, including those specifically related to healthcare.
He also predicted artificial intelligence would continue to be at the forefront for health IT venture firms in 2020 as it becomes more clear which startups may be winners in their initial target sectors.
"There has been consistent growth of investment activity over the past few years into healthcare startups using artificial intelligence to target a range of areas from imaging to diagnostics," he said.
However, Uzzaman also noted regulation and long enterprise sales cycles have largely slowed the ability for these companies to significantly scale their revenues.
"Therefore, we anticipate 2020 will be the year where it will become clearer to health IT venture firms who will be winners in applying artificial intelligence to imaging, pathology, genomics, operations, diagnostics, transcription, and more," he said. "We will also continue to see moderate growth in the overall investment amount in machine learning and AI companies, but will see a notable decrease in the number of companies receiving an investment.
Uzzaman explained there were already some signs in late 2019 that there could be late in a short-term innovation cycle for artificial intelligence with many companies, particularly those applying machine learning and AI to robotics, shutting down.
"However, we anticipate many companies will reach greater scale with their solutions and separate themselves from the competition, which will translate into more mega funding rounds," he said.
Ezra Mehlman, managing partner with Health Enterprise Partners, explained that at the beginning of each year, the firm conducts a market mapping exercise to determine which healthcare IT categories are rising to the top of the prioritization queue of its network of hospital and health plan limited partners.
"In the past year, we have seen budgets meaningfully open for automation solutions in administrative processing, genomics-focused data and analytics offerings, aging-in-place technologies and, in particular, patient engagement platforms rooted in proven clinical use cases," he said. "We are actively looking at all of these spaces."
He pointed out that in 2018, more than $2 billion was invested into artificial intelligence and machine learning healthcare IT companies, which represented a quarter of the total dollars invested into digital health companies that year.
"We view this as a recognition of two things: the meteoric aspirations that the market has assigned to AI and machine learning's potential, and a general sense that the underlying healthcare data infrastructure has reached the point of maturity, where it is possible to realize ROI from AI/machine learning initiatives," he said.
However, he said Health Enterprise Partners is still waiting for the "breakout" to occur in adoption.
"We believe we have now reached the point where category leaders will emerge in each major healthcare AI subsector and the usage will become more widespread we have made one such investment in the clinical AI space in the last year," Mehlman said.
Heading into 2020, Mehlman said companies that cannot deliver high-six-figure, year-one ROI in the form of increased revenue or reduced cost will struggle, and companies that cannot crisply answer the question, "Who is the buyer and what is the budget?" will be challenged.
"If one applies these tests to some of the areas that have attracted the most healthcare VC investment--social determinants of health, blockchain and digital therapeutics to name a few the number of viable companies sharply drops off," he said.
Mehlman noted that while these sound like simple principles, the current environment of rapidly consolidating, budget-constrained hospitals, vertically integrating health plans, and big tech companies making inroads into healthcare has raised the bar on what is required for a healthcare startup to gain meaningful market traction.
- Where the Buzz About Quantum Computing Is Wrong - Toolbox - February 21st, 2020
- New report: Quantum Computing Market Size position and size report for 2019 to 2023 recently published - Instant Tech News - February 21st, 2020
- Global Deep Learning Chip Market (2019 to 2027) - Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities and Trends - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 21st, 2020
- Quantum Computing Technologies Market: Industry Players Analysis, New Innovation, Growth Prospects, Size, Growth, Revenue, Development Policy,... - February 21st, 2020
- Why Quantum Computing Gets Special Attention In The Trump Administration's Budget Proposal - Texas Standard - February 20th, 2020
- Quantum Internet: The Technology That Could Change Everything? - The National Interest Online - February 20th, 2020
- HPC User Forum to Explore AI-HPDA Use In Banking and Investment Firms - insideHPC - February 20th, 2020
- 29 deeptech VCs in Europe you need to know - Sifted - February 20th, 2020
- Why Quantum Computing Gets Special Attention In The Trump Administration's Budget Proposal - KUT - February 19th, 2020
- The $600 quantum computer that could spell the end for conventional encryption - BetaNews - February 19th, 2020
- Quantum Internet Workshop Begins Mapping the Future of Quantum Communications - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - February 19th, 2020
- Correcting the jitters in quantum devices - MIT News - February 19th, 2020
- Govt creates tech group to chart the tech landscape for India - Economic Times - February 19th, 2020
- The EU is preparing to invest 2bn in a cloud computing alliance - NS Tech - February 19th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 19th, 2020
- Russian Quantum Center and Nissan have launched a project in the field of quantum chemistry - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - February 17th, 2020
- QUANTUM COMPUTING TECHNOLOGIES Market: Comprehensive study explores Huge Growth in Future | D-Wave Systems Inc., IBM Corporation, Lockheed Martin... - February 17th, 2020
- Quantum Internet Workshop Begins Mapping the Future of Quantum Communications - HPCwire - February 17th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast by 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Size Outlook 2026: Prime Firms, Trends, Growth Factors Details by Regions, Sorts and Applications - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- Nobody is behind in science and technology: Serguie Beloussov - Kuensel, Buhutan's National Newspaper - February 17th, 2020
- China beats US in key patents to secure technological dominance - The News International - February 17th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market 2019 Analysis by Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 15th, 2020
- Chinese researchers smash the record for realising two entangled quantum memories at maximum distance - www.computing.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Quantum Computing: How To Invest In It, And Which Companies Are Leading the Way? - Nasdaq - February 14th, 2020
- DOE Workshop Begins Mapping the Future of Quantum Communications - insideHPC - February 14th, 2020
- Scientists discover how to use time crystals to power superconductors - Big Think - February 14th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market With Four Main Geographies And Their Countries - Instant Tech News - February 14th, 2020
- Russian Quantum Center and Nissan have launched a project in the field of quantum chemistry - Research Snipers - February 14th, 2020
- Global Quantum Computing Market Newest Research Report In PDF With Forecast [2020-2029] : International Business Machines (IBM) Corporation, Google... - February 14th, 2020
- Budget 2020: Govt bets on AI, data analytics and quantum computing - Livemint - February 2nd, 2020
- This Week's Awesome Tech Stories From Around the Web (Through February 1) - Singularity Hub - February 2nd, 2020
- AI has great potential in transforming the world: Alphabet CEO Sundar Pichai - YourStory - February 2nd, 2020
- Budget 2020: New scheme to boost local manufacturing of mobiles, will iPhone get cheaper now? - India Today - February 2nd, 2020
- What Is Quantum Computing and How Does it Work? - Built In - January 30th, 2020
- IBM Just Called Out Google Over Their "Quantum Computer" - The National Interest Online - January 30th, 2020
- Quantum Computing releases its new software application called Mukai - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - January 30th, 2020
- Burning Things With Big Lasers In The Name Of Security - Hackaday - January 30th, 2020
- What Is Quantum Computing, And How Can It Unlock Value For Businesses? - Computer Business Review - January 27th, 2020
- The End Of The Digital Revolution Is Coming: Here's What's Next - Innovation Excellence - January 27th, 2020
- Delta Partners with IBM to Explore Quantum Computing - Database Trends and Applications - January 27th, 2020
- New Centers Lead the Way towards a Quantum Future - Energy.gov - January 27th, 2020
- ASC20 Finals to be Held in Shenzhen, Tasks Include Quantum Computing Simulation and AI Language Exam - HPCwire - January 27th, 2020
- Toshiba says it created an algorithm that beats quantum computers using standard hardware - TechSpot - January 27th, 2020
- Quantum networking projected to be $5.5 billion market in 2025 - TechRepublic - January 27th, 2020
- University of Sheffield launches Quantum centre to develop the technologies of tomorrow - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - January 27th, 2020
- 5 Emerging Technologies That Will Shape this Decade - San Diego Entertainer Magazine - January 27th, 2020
- Is Quantum Technology The Future Of The World? - The Coin Republic - January 12th, 2020
- Were approaching the limits of computer power we need new programmers now - The Guardian - January 12th, 2020
- Global Quantum Computing Market: What it got next? Find out with the latest research available at PMI - Pro News Time - January 12th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Technologies Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2020-2025, Latest study reveals - ReportsPioneer - January 12th, 2020
- Podcast: The Overhype and Underestimation of Quantum Computing - insideHPC - January 10th, 2020
- Charles Hoskinson Predicts Economic Collapse, Rise of Quantum Computing, Space Travel and Cryptocurrency in the 2020s - The Daily Hodl - January 10th, 2020
- Google and IBM square off in Schrodingers catfight over quantum supremacy - The Register - January 10th, 2020
- World High Performance Computing (HPC) Markets to 2025 - AI, IoT, and 5G will be Major Drivers for HPC Growth as they Facilitate the Need to Process... - January 10th, 2020
- Tucson Morning Blend Top 5 Tech Trends you'll love this year. Heather Rowe 1:27 - KGUN - January 6th, 2020
- Honeywell names Top 11 Innovations of 2019 - wingsmagazine.com - January 6th, 2020
- 19 Most In-Demand Tech Jobs in Silicon Valley (and the Companies Hiring) - Dice Insights - January 6th, 2020
- January 9th: France will unveil its quantum strategy. What can we expect from this report? - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - January 4th, 2020
- US Government Looks To Restrict Exports Of AI, Quantum Computing And Self-Driving Tech - WebProNews - January 4th, 2020
- News Content Hub - Five emerging technologies for the 2020s - Riviera Maritime Media - January 4th, 2020
- Superconductor or not? They're exploring the identity crisis of this weird quantum material. - News@Northeastern - January 3rd, 2020
- Year 2019 in Science: History of Humans, Ebola Treatment and Quantum Computing - NewsClick - January 3rd, 2020
- 5 tech that will explode in your life this decade - ETCIO.com - January 3rd, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Utilities and Recycling In Global 2020 Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts - Market Research Sheets - January 3rd, 2020
- Quantum Teleportation Has Been Achieved With the Help of Quantum Entanglement - Dual Dove - January 3rd, 2020
- The science fiction that became science fact in 2019 - SYFY WIRE - January 3rd, 2020
- Global Quantum Computing Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth During 2020-2029 - Neptune Pine - January 3rd, 2020
- Quantum Computing Technologies market by Size | Growth | Analysis | Trends and Forecasts to 2020-2025 Bulletin Line - Bulletin Line - January 3rd, 2020
- The Impact of Quantum Computing on Banking will be gigantic says Deltec Bank, Bahamas - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - December 28th, 2019
- How This Breakthrough Makes Silicon-Based Qubit Chips The Future of Quantum Computing - Analytics India Magazine - December 28th, 2019
- 2020 Will be a Banner Year for AI Custom Chipsets and Heterogenous Computing; Quantum Computing Remains on the Far Horizon - Business Wire - December 28th, 2019
- Top 5: Scientific Breakthroughs That Made 2019 an Unforgettable Year of Human Progress - The Weather Channel - December 28th, 2019
- 2020 will be the beginning of the tech industry's radical revisioning of the physical world - TechCrunch - December 28th, 2019
- IBM and the U. of Tokyo launch quantum computing initiative for Japan | - University Business - December 25th, 2019
- IBM and the University of Tokyo Launch Quantum Computing Initiative for Japan - Martechcube - December 25th, 2019
- AI, 5G, 'ambient computing': What to expect in tech in 2020 and beyond - USA TODAY - December 18th, 2019
- The Quantum Computing Decade Is ComingHeres Why You Should Care - Observer - December 18th, 2019
- Shaping the technology transforming our society - Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory - December 17th, 2019
- Quantum Technology Expert to Discuss Quantum Sensors for Defense Applications at Office of Naval Research (ONR) - Business Wire - December 17th, 2019