The Digital Silk Road is one of the flagship projects in China's Belt & Road Initiative
The Digital Silk Road
As one of Chinas grand proposals within the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), the Digital Silk Road (DSR) project was introduced in March 2015.The DSR incorporates four interrelated, tech-focused components. First, China is investing resources into digital frameworks abroad, including fiber optic cable lines and data hubs. Secondly, the project focuses on creating cutting edge innovations - like satellite navigation systems and smart city projects - which will be fundamental in giving China an edge as a global economic and military power. China is working on rapidly expanding its area of DSR projects. In 2019, the Chinese government launched a new project called the "Belt and Road Digital Economy International Cooperation Initiative'' with a number of nations including the United Arab Emirates, Thailand, Turkey, Laos, Serbia, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and Egypt. The Chinese government also established cooperation agreements with 16 other countries to develop technology focused projects under the umbrella of the New Silk Road Initiative.
From a mid to long-term perspective, China plans to strategically fortify this digital initiative. In April of last year, a report published by the Office of the Leading Group for Promoting the Belt and Road Initiative highlighted that the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has actively focused on the DSR Initiative with innovation-focused industrial frontier areas. These include cloud computing, nanotechnology, quantum computing, big data, artificial intelligence, and smart cities.
China has made significant telecom investments globally under its flagship Belt & Road Initiative
Impact of Covid-19
Covid-19 has significantly impacted the Chinese economy, particularly the small-medium enterprises. Thus, the governments fiscal and monetary policies have shifted focus on stabilizing the domestic economy. This has strongly impacted the BRI. However, the Information Communication Technology (ICT) infrastructure projects are more cost-effective and can be completed at a faster pace compared to transportation and energy projects. Therefore, the DSR projects are more likely to attract significant investment and garner more interest from investors as compared to other BRI projects after Covid-19.
Is the Digital Silk Road a challenge and a national security threat to the US?
Fitch Solutions believes that the race in technological advancements will continue to be a key focal point of tension between the US and China. The Digital Silk Road is an essential pillar of China's global infrastructure strategy to manage the flow of data worldwide. Most of the infrastructure that is being used within the DSR projects involves little if any US technology, which is a cause of major concern for many Western policymakers and business executives. This is compounded by the fact that data traffic monitoring within China has greatly increased and thus the potential interference with sensitive monetary and security-related data could also be significantly compromised. Chinese tech firms have become highly proficient at using artificial intelligence (AI) to strengthen both their local businesses and relationships with consumers. The data and information accumulated from end-users will give Chinese companies considerably greater insights which will ultimately help them in gaining substantial market share within the BRI countries.
The Belt and Road Initiative supported by the DSR projects do not come without criticism and controversy. Critics have claimed that many Southeast Asian countries involved in the BRI have been drawn in by China's rigorous laws on the localization of data. However, some analysts argue that such changes are mostly being made to protect the information of citizens and incentivize foreign investments into local data hubs, rather than an inclination for ascribing to China's model of cyber administration. Nonetheless, the potential for these structures to be utilized by local governments to clamp down on social discord and political opponents cannot be ignored.
Smart City, Guangzhou Urban Skyline
The BRI has advanced Chinas technological prowess to the point where it now poses as the quintessential challenger to the US in terms of global technological partnerships. Earlier this year in February, the CCP made a concerted effort to focus on digital infrastructure projects including 5G expansions as one of the critical solutions to bolster their economy after the Covid-19 pandemic. Chinese companies such as Huawei Marine Networks have already laid down about 36,964 miles of undersea fibre optic cables in more than 95 different projects spanning the Indo-Pacific, South Pacific, and the Atlantic oceans. Chinese firms' global share in such transnational undersea cable projects have skyrocketed from a mere 7% in 2012 to 20% in 2019.
Expected market growth of 5G subscribers globally.
What choice will the US make?
American business leaders and the Trump administration are clearly intent on protecting US companies and supply chains from heavy reliance on China. For example, the Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA)s recent $32B proposal aims to sharpen the edge of the US semiconductor industry. Semiconductor chips underpin some of the critical commercial and defense technologies of the future which include 5G networks and artificial intelligence. Furthermore, US Justice Department officials tacit pressure on a high-capacity undersea data cable system to bypass Hong Kong is a clear example that reflects Americas hardening stance on China.
In the Covid-19 era and especially given the acrimonious sentiment in Washington and Beijing with respect to Sino-US relations, it is incumbent to not forget that competition and cooperation have always defined US-China relations. The United States is currently losing the race against China in the digital space. However, that does not mean the race is over. Public-private partnerships are needed now more than ever. The US government and the private sector must invest significantly more resources into developing technology and advancing innovation at home. Failing to do so could risk the US permanently losing its global technological leadership to China.
A special thanks to Jeeho Bae and Yaser Faheem for contributing to this article.
Mr. Earl Carr is the Vice President of International Research at Momentum Advisors, a New York based SEC-registered international wealth management firm. Jeeho Bae and Yaser Faheem are Research Consultants at Momentum Advisors.
Read this article:
Is China Threatening Americas Dominance In The Digital Space? - Forbes
- Every Thing You Need to Know About Quantum Computers - Analytics Insight - October 23rd, 2020
- Quantum computing will impact the enterprise--we just don't know how - TechRepublic - October 23rd, 2020
- Quantum Computing and the Cryptography Conundrum - CXOToday.com - October 23rd, 2020
- IBM and Mastercard among partners of 11.1m Irish quantum project - Siliconrepublic.com - October 23rd, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Research including Growth Factors, Types and Application by regions by 2026 - Eurowire - October 23rd, 2020
- University of Rhode Island names respected professor, researcher, computational scientist to lead research computing efforts - URI Today - October 23rd, 2020
- Quantum Computing in Aerospace and Defense Market Trends and Forecast to 2028 - TechnoWeekly - October 23rd, 2020
- New York needs to be reimagined with technology and job training - Crain's New York Business - October 23rd, 2020
- Global Smart Cities Market Analysis 2020-2025: AI, IoT, and 5G (AIoT5G) will be the Most Influential Technologies - 63%, 34%, and 52% Respectively -... - October 23rd, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market 2020 | Outlook, Growth By Top Companies, Regions, Types, Applications, Drivers, Trends & Forecasts by 2025 - PRnews... - October 17th, 2020
- What is an algorithm? How computers know what to do with data - The Conversation US - October 17th, 2020
- Put Employees at the Center of Your Post-Pandemic Digital Strategy - Harvard Business Review - October 17th, 2020
- Most Read articles - LED drivers, Foundry market, Arm staffing - Electronics Weekly - October 17th, 2020
- 4 Reasons Why Now Is the Best Time to Start With Quantum Computing - Medium - October 15th, 2020
- The Future of Computing: Hype, Hope, and Reality - CIOReview - October 15th, 2020
- Menlo Micro, a startup bringing semiconductor tech to the humble switch, is ready for its closeup - TechCrunch - October 15th, 2020
- Rare magnetism found in the world's strongest material - Live Science - October 15th, 2020
- Room-temperature superconductivity has been achieved for the first time - MIT Technology Review - October 15th, 2020
- Global quantum computing market is projected to register a healthy CAGR of 29.5% in the forecast period of 2019 to 2026. - re:Jerusalem - October 15th, 2020
- Bring On The Qubits: How The Quantum Computing Arms Race Affects Legal - Technology - United States - Mondaq News Alerts - September 30th, 2020
- Under the dragons thumb: Chinese heft in VPNs and Indias vulnerability in a quantum-computing era - Economic Times - September 30th, 2020
- New Study Reveals 81% of Fortune 1000 Decision-Makers Have a Quantum Computing Use-Case In Mind For The Next Three Years Quantum computing emerges as... - September 30th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Technologies Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily... - September 30th, 2020
- Quantum Computing in Aerospace and Defense Market Analysis, Trends, Opportunity, Size and Segment Forecasts to 2028 - Crypto Daily - September 30th, 2020
- Pentagon Is Clinging to Aging Technologies, House Panel Warns - The New York Times - September 30th, 2020
- The global silicon photonics market accounted for $520.0 million in 2019 and is expected to reach $3.07 billion by 2025 - PRNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- Are We Close To Realising A Quantum Computer? Yes And No, Quantum Style - Swarajya - September 14th, 2020
- Spin-Based Quantum Computing Breakthrough: Physicists Achieve Tunable Spin Wave Excitation - SciTechDaily - September 14th, 2020
- NSF and DOE to Advance Industries of the Future - ARC Viewpoints - September 14th, 2020
- Global Quantum Computing Market 2025 To Expect Maximum Benefit and Growth Potential During this COVID 19 Outbreak: D-Wave Systems, Google, IBM, Intel,... - September 14th, 2020
- Why quantum computing matters - Axios - August 26th, 2020
- The future of artificial intelligence and quantum computing - Military & Aerospace Electronics - August 26th, 2020
- BBVA Uncovers The Promise Of Quantum Computing For Banking And Financial Services - Forbes - August 26th, 2020
- Has the world's most powerful computer arrived? - The National - August 26th, 2020
- Giant atoms enable quantum processing and communication in one - MIT News - August 4th, 2020
- Computer Scientist Don Towsley Named to Team Developing the Quantum Internet - UMass News and Media Relations - August 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Quantum Computing Market Research, Growth, Industry Analysis, Size and Share 2025 | IBM Corporation, Google - My Kids Health - August 4th, 2020
- IBM and the University of Tokyo Unveil the Quantum Innovation Initiative Consortium to Accelerate Japan's Quantum Research and Development Leadership... - August 2nd, 2020
- Insights & Outcomes: a new spin on quantum research, and the biology of sex - Yale News - August 2nd, 2020
- This simple explainer tackles the complexity of quantum computing - Boing Boing - July 29th, 2020
- UK firm reaches final stages of the NIST quest for quantum-proof encryption algorithms - www.computing.co.uk - July 29th, 2020
- Looking Back on The First-Ever Photo of Quantum Entanglement - ScienceAlert - July 29th, 2020
- Quantum reckoning: The day when computers will break cryptography - ITWeb - July 29th, 2020
- Ripple CTO: Quantum computers will be a threat to Bitcoin and XRP - Crypto News Flash - July 29th, 2020
- The 6 Biggest Technology Trends In Accounting And Finance - Forbes - July 29th, 2020
- Ripple Executive Says Quantum Computing Will Threaten Bitcoin, XRP and Crypto Markets Heres When - The Daily Hodl - July 25th, 2020
- D-Waves quantum computing cloud comes to India - The Hindu - July 25th, 2020
- Hear how three startups are approaching quantum computing differently at TC Disrupt 2020 - TechCrunch - July 25th, 2020
- The Hyperion-insideHPC Interviews: Dr. Michael Resch Talks about the Leap from von Neumann: 'I Tell My PhD Candidates: Go for Quantum' - insideHPC - July 25th, 2020
- The Computational Limits of Deep Learning Are Closer Than You Think - Discover Magazine - July 25th, 2020
- China's newest technology stock exchange is thriving despite the pandemic - The Economist - July 25th, 2020
- Almost One-Third of Life Science Companies Set to Begin Quantum Computing Evaluation This Year - Lab Manager Magazine - July 17th, 2020
- Europe Quantum Computing Market 2020 | Scope of Current and Future Industry 2025 - Owned - July 17th, 2020
- Opinion |Dance of the synchronized quantum particles - Livemint - July 17th, 2020
- Quantum Software Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of... - July 17th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Brief Analysis and Application, Growth by 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 17th, 2020
- Standard Chartered and Universities Space Research Association join forces on Quantum Computing - PRNewswire - July 13th, 2020
- The crypto-agility mandate, and how to get there - Help Net Security - July 13th, 2020
- Standard Chartered teams up with Universities Space Research Association on development of quantum computing apps - FinanceFeeds - July 13th, 2020
- How American Express is tapping the benefits of hybrid cloud - The Enterprisers Project - July 13th, 2020
- MIT's New Diamond-Based Quantum Chip Is the Largest Yet - Interesting Engineering - July 11th, 2020
- Chicago Quantum Exchange Welcomes Seven New Partners in Tech, Computing and Finance - HPCwire - July 11th, 2020
- In 1st Of Its Kind Webinar On Quantum Information And Computation In India, IIIT Hyderabad Successfully Conducts Quantum Talks 2020 - IndianWeb2.com - July 11th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto Inspiration Gives Advice On Bitcoins Next Move - Forbes - July 11th, 2020
- QCI Hosts Webinar Series Featuring Optimizations that Deliver Quantum-Ready Solutions at Breakthrough Speed - Stockhouse - July 11th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Technologies Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth During 2025 - News by aeresearch - July 11th, 2020
- Topological Quantum Computing Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Quantum Software Market (impact of COVID-19) Growth, Overview with Detailed Analysis 2020-2026| Origin Quantum Computing Technology, D Wave, IBM,... - July 6th, 2020
- Regional Analysis and Strategies of Quantum Computing Technology Market during the Forecasted Period 2020-2030 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Healthcare Shopping: The new age of consumerism - The Financial Express - July 6th, 2020
- Six things you need to learn about quantum computing in finance - eFinancialCareers - July 4th, 2020
- Cybersecurity in the quantum era - ETCIO.com - July 4th, 2020
- There's a Hidden Economic Trendline That Is Shattering the Global Trade System - IDN InDepthNews | Analysis That Matters - July 4th, 2020
- How Will The World Look Like In 2025 And The Future Of Cybersecurity - Entrepreneur - July 4th, 2020
- Better encryption for wireless privacy at the dawn of quantum computing - UC Riverside - June 30th, 2020
- Menten AIs combination of buzzword bingo brings AI and quantum computing to drug discovery - TechCrunch - June 30th, 2020
- Paper Outlines the Role of ERM in Managing Risks Related to New Technologies - Business Wire - June 30th, 2020
- Airbus CTO Grazia Vittadini: Aviation needs to tap emerging technologies, diverse talent to get climate-neutral - Verdict Medical Devices - Medical... - June 30th, 2020
- Is IT regulation in the DARQ? - IT PRO - June 30th, 2020
- Sen. Warner: 5G ORAN Bill Added to Must-Pass Legislation - Multichannel News - June 30th, 2020