Krysta Svore, general manager of Microsoft Quantum, explains how quantum computing hardware works during a Seattle science conference in 2020. (GeekWire Photo / Alan Boyle)
Microsoft and KPMG are getting set to test Azure Quantums capabilities on the sorts of real-world problems that should give quantum computing an edge over traditional approaches.
Such problems have to do with optimizing systems and networks, such as where best to place cellular phone towers or how to allocate investments to match a clients priorities relating to risks vs. rewards.
Optimization problems are found in many industries and are often difficult to solve using traditional methods which can accelerate optimization, Krysta Svore, general manager of Microsoft Quantum, explained today in a blog post. Emulating these quantum effects on classical computers has led to the development of quantum-inspired optimization (QIO) algorithms that run on classical hardware.
Such algorithms reflect the quantum perspective, in which information doesnt necessarily take the form of rigid ones and zeroes but can instead reflect a range of values simultaneously during processing. The beauty of QIO algorithms is that they dont need to run on honest-to-goodness quantum processors, which are still in their infancy.
The Microsoft-KPMG partnership gives both companies a chance to tweak the algorithms and how theyre used to maximize Azure Quantums QIO capabilities.
The Azure Quantum platform allows us to explore numerous different solver approaches utilizing the same code, helping to minimize re-work and improve efficiency, said Bent Dalager, global head of KPMGs Quantum Hub. The shared goal for these initial projects is to build solution blueprints for common industry optimization problems using Azure Quantum, which we can then provide to more clients at scale.
This isnt the first time for Microsofts quantum computing team has experimented with real-world optimization challenges: A couple of years ago, researchers at Microsoft and Ford used QIO algorithms to analyze strategies for smoothing out the Seattle areas traffic snarls. Preliminary studies showed a decrease of more than 70% in congestion and an 8% reduction in average travel time.
Last year, Toyota Tsusho and a Japanese startup called Jij used Azure Quantum to optimize the timing of traffic signals. They found that QIO algorithms could reduce the waiting time for drivers stopped at red lights by about 20%, saving an average of about 5 seconds for each car. And California-based Trimble turned to Azure Quantum to identify the most efficient routes for fleets of vehicles, ensuring that fewer trucks run empty.
The Microsoft-KPMG project will start out focusing on benchmarking solutions for optimizing financial services portfolios and telecommunications operations.
Portfolio optimization has to do with balancing the mix of investments to minimize risk and maximize profit while staying within a given budget. As financial options get more complex, it becomes difficult to assess those options using a brute-force analytical approach but QIO algorithms are well-suited to take on the challenge.
Quantum-inspired optimization could also increase the efficiency of voice-over-LTE telecom networks, leading to a better user experience for customers. Down the line, the project could look into optimization strategies for cell tower placement, mobile handover between cell towers, and staff scheduling for call centers.
The teams plan to share results in the coming months, Svore said.
Read more from the original source:
Microsoft and KPMG will try out quantum algorithms on real-world problems - GeekWire
- MSU Forms Quantum Alliance with Purdue and University of Michigan - HPCwire - January 8th, 2022
- EPFL engineers find promising way to boost computing power of quantum computers. - Science Business - January 8th, 2022
- Power Moves: Meet the newest faces on the DMV's quantum computing scene - Technical.ly DC - January 8th, 2022
- 2022 will be the year of deeptech say investors - Sifted - January 8th, 2022
- Super-Resolution Imaging of a Single Cold Atom on a Nanosecond Timescale - SciTechDaily - January 8th, 2022
- Will Innovation Make Us Better Off? - Forbes - January 8th, 2022
- The tech that will change the dialogue n 2022 - Mint - December 29th, 2021
- Is Taiwan's Five-year Quantum Computing and Talent Initiative the Wrong Strategy for the Island Nation? - OODA Loop - December 22nd, 2021
- 10 technology trends that could prove to be real game-changers - Mint - December 22nd, 2021
- Deep tech in 2022: the future is looking artificially intelligent - Information Age - December 22nd, 2021
- ixFintech Group Limited Announces Launch of ixWallet 2.0 and Plans to Launch New Asset-backed TeaCoin - Business Wire - December 22nd, 2021
- 15 Truly Unbelievable Ways Science Changed the World in 2021 - Fatherly - December 22nd, 2021
- What Is Quantum Computing? | NVIDIA Blog - December 20th, 2021
- What is Quantum Computing? | IBM - December 20th, 2021
- Quantum computing: Now Rigetti explores qutrits as well as qubits - ZDNet - December 20th, 2021
- Research Team Reaches Milestone in Quantum Computing with Error Correction - HPCwire - December 20th, 2021
- Spain-based startup Multiverse Computing receives 12.5M from EIC to bring quantum computing to finance companies - Silicon Canals - December 20th, 2021
- Smart Internet Lab will deliver Quantum Data Centre of the Future - ITP.net - December 20th, 2021
- Which emerging technologies present the greatest opportunities for business? - The Globe and Mail - December 20th, 2021
- The Quantum Moments: Top Quantum Computing Things to Recall from 2021 - Analytics Insight - December 12th, 2021
- Research Fellow, Quantum Hardware Engineer, NQCH, Centre for Quantum Technologies job with NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE | 274414 - Times Higher... - December 12th, 2021
- IOG Has Already Started Process of Making Cardano Resistant Against Quantum Attacks - CryptoGlobe - December 12th, 2021
- Honeywell Superpositions Itself in the Quantum Computing Industry With New Company Quantinuum - TECHdotMN - December 3rd, 2021
- Where does EU stand in the quantum computing race with China and US? - TechHQ - December 3rd, 2021
- Pistoia Alliance predicts a focus on the fight against antimicrobial resistance and a surge in quantum computing research for 2022 - Bio-IT World - November 25th, 2021
- Atom Computing: A Quantum Computing Startup That Believes It Can Ultimately Win The Qubit Race - Forbes - November 22nd, 2021
- Creating Dynamic Symmetry in Diamond Crystals To Improve Qubits for Quantum Computing - SciTechDaily - November 22nd, 2021
- Don Kahle: Quantum quandaries are emerging - The Register-Guard - November 22nd, 2021
- 4 key threats to the new central bank digital currencies - World Economic Forum - November 22nd, 2021
- IBM creates largest ever superconducting quantum computer - New Scientist - November 15th, 2021
- Quantum computing breakthrough may help us learn about the earliest moments of the universe - TechRadar - November 15th, 2021
- Atos and NVIDIA to Advance Climate and Healthcare Research With Exascale Computing - HPCwire - November 15th, 2021
- IBM Launches Its First Quantum Computing Certification | The Info-Tech Brief - Oakland News Now - November 15th, 2021
- Intel Marks 50th Anniversary of the Intel 4004 - HPCwire - November 15th, 2021
- QCI Qatalyst Selected by BMW Group and Amazon Web Services as a Finalist in the Quantum Computing Challenge - HPCwire - November 11th, 2021
- Will Quantum Computers Burst The Bitcoin Boom? - Forbes - November 10th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Market Research Report by Technology, by Deployment, by Offering, by End-Use, by Application, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 -... - November 10th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Inc. to Present at the ROTH 10th Annual - GlobeNewswire - November 10th, 2021
- QCI Qatalyst Selected by BMW Group and Amazon Web Services - GlobeNewswire - November 10th, 2021
- Nvidia Declares That It Is A Full-Stack Platform - The Next Platform - November 10th, 2021
- ANET: Add These 3 Soaring Computer Hardware Stocks to Your Watchlist - StockNews.com - November 10th, 2021
- Rigetti and Oxford Instruments Participate and Sponsor The City - Marketscreener.com - November 10th, 2021
- Lost in Space-Time newsletter: Will a twisted universe save cosmology? - New Scientist - November 10th, 2021
- IonQ Is First Quantum Startup to Go Public; Will It be First to Deliver Profits? - HPCwire - November 6th, 2021
- QUANTUM COMPUTING INC. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations, (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - November 6th, 2021
- Pasqal named startup of the year by L'Usine Nouvelle - EurekAlert - November 6th, 2021
- Quantum Blockchain Technologies Plc - Update on FPGA and ASIC Development - Yahoo Finance UK - November 6th, 2021
- Quantum Xchange Joins the Hudson Institute's Quantum Alliance Initiative - PRNewswire - November 6th, 2021
- Is This the Right Time for a Cryptography Risk Assessment? - Security Boulevard - November 6th, 2021
- IBM and Raytheon Collaborating on AI, Cryptography, and Quantum Computing - Datamation - October 30th, 2021
- AWS Announces Opening of the AWS Center for Quantum Computing - HPCwire - October 30th, 2021
- China makes a quantum computer streets ahead of the US - Fudzilla - October 30th, 2021
- CyberHive's Gareth Lockwood on how quantum computing changes the rules of threat protection - TechCentral.ie - October 30th, 2021
- Amazon partners with UCLA on science hub focusing on AI and its social impact - Yahoo Finance - October 30th, 2021
- Sumitomo Corporation Quantum Transformation (QX) Project - Quantum Computer Improves Performance of Traffic Control for Flying Cars, One Step Closer... - October 20th, 2021
- 3 CQE members Receive Awards from the American Physical Society - HPCwire - October 20th, 2021
- INSIDE QUANTUM TECHNOLOGY New York, The Largest Business Quantum Technology Conference and Exhibition, Announces Focus on Quantum Safe Initiatives and... - October 20th, 2021
- Incredible Growth of Quantum Computing in Health Care Market by 2028 | D-Wave Solutions, IBM, Google EcoChunk - EcoChunk - October 20th, 2021
- IonQ and University of Maryland Researchers Demonstrate Fault-Tolerant Error Correction, Critical for Unlocking the Full Potential of Quantum... - October 12th, 2021
- Quantum computing startups pull in millions as VCs rush to get ahead of the game - The Register - October 12th, 2021
- Zapata, University of Hull researchers take quantum computing to deep space - FierceElectronics - October 12th, 2021
- IBM and Raytheon Technologies collaborate on AI, cryptography and quantum technologies - Scientific Computing World - October 12th, 2021
- How science and diplomacy inform each other - SWI swissinfo.ch - swissinfo.ch - October 12th, 2021
- Digital Wealth Management Fees to Increase Threefold to $12.6 Billion By 2026 - Yahoo Finance - October 12th, 2021
- Is Neuromorphic Computing The Answer For Autonomous Driving And Personal Robotics? - Forbes - October 12th, 2021
- IonQ is set to make its public trading debut. Here's a look at the quantum computing company's 2021 highlights - Technical.ly DC - October 2nd, 2021
- Connecting the Dots Between Material Properties and Superconducting Qubit Performance - SciTechDaily - October 2nd, 2021
- Quantum Computing in Agriculture Market to Witness Stellar CAGR During the Forecast Period 2021 -2026 - Northwest Diamond Notes - October 2nd, 2021
- What is quantum computing? - September 21st, 2021
- Why quantum computing is a security threat and how to defend against it [Q&A] - BetaNews - September 21st, 2021
- 'This Is The Beginning Of A New Industry': College Park Looks To Quantum Computing To Spark Office Growth - Bisnow - September 21st, 2021
- Prepare for the next phase of digital transformation at The Quantum Computing Summit - UKTN - UKTN (UK Technology News - September 21st, 2021
- A Simple Equation Indicates Wormholes May Be the Key to Quantum Gravity - Interesting Engineering - September 21st, 2021
- Explore Trends and COVID-19 Impact on Quantum Computing Market 2021 Research Report and Industry Forecast till 2027 | Know More Stillwater Current -... - September 21st, 2021
- Australias nuclear submarines and AUKUS: The view from Jakarta - Brookings Institution - September 21st, 2021
- Research on Quantum Computing in Health Care Market 2021: By Growing Rate, Type, Applications, Geographical Regions, and Forecast to 2026 - Northwest... - September 15th, 2021
- Atomically-Thin, Twisted Graphene Has Unique Properties That Could Advance Quantum Computing - SciTechDaily - September 15th, 2021
- For The First Time, Scientists Have Entangled Three Qubits on Silicon - ScienceAlert - September 15th, 2021
- UChicago, Duality Teams to Pitch at 2021 Chicago Venture Summit - Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation - Polsky Center for... - September 15th, 2021
- View: Its the Spacetime to Quantum - Economic Times - September 15th, 2021