Telecom giant NTT Group is offering record pay to hire top scientists as it looks to match some of the basic research prowess of global powerhouses including Alphabet Inc. and Apple Inc.
The former Japanese telephone monopoly has set annual salaries of as much as $1 million (108.45 million) for researchers at its labs in Palo Alto, California, said Kazuhiro Gomi, president of the companys research arm. Thats more than the company pays its chief executive officer and 41-year veteran Jun Sawada, and a rare step for a traditional Japanese company like NTT.
The increased investment in basic science comes as NTT is regrouping its businesses to focus more on cloud computing services and data centers amid a dimming outlook for profit from its mainstay mobile phone carrier. Having star scientists on the labs payroll, backed by a 25 billion five-year budget, helps the group draw better technology workers and partners as it wages a global war for the top talent it needs to expand globally, Gomi said.
We are competing with companies like Google and Apple, said Gomi, explaining that the company had traditionally followed the Japanese norm of modest pay. It wouldnt be possible several years back.
Tatsuaki Okamoto, director of cryptography & information security for NTT Research, is an example of a star that has helped draw in other top researchers in encryption, where interest in cryptocurrencies has led to surging demand for expertise. Okamoto, an NTT R&D fellow since 1999, is known globally as a key researcher on block-chain technologies for cryptocurrencies.
The talent NTT is gathering is focused on cryptography, quantum computing and medical informatics in a bet that these fields can yield breakthroughs on a horizon of five years or more, said Kei Karasawa, vice president of corporate strategy for NTT Research.
The lab also needs big name scientists because for most top researchers, high pay alone isnt enough, said Karasawa. Scientists strongly prefer to work with the leaders in their field, he said.
Moreover, NTTs pay isnt at the top of the range in all fields. Oracle Corp., the software-maker racing to catch Microsoft Corp. and Amazon.com Inc. in cloud computing, offered a pay package worth $6 million to hire a single expert in artificial intelligence, Business Insider reported. And while $1 million a year dwarfs the pay of many IT professionals, its far less than what most chief executives make at global companies of NTTs scale.
That too is a contrast with Japan, where average CEO pay at top companies is less than $1 million, compared with more than 10 times that for the average U.S. boss of a big firm.
NTT is pushing for overseas growth while forecasting a 13 percent drop in net income at NTT Docomo Inc. this fiscal year, following a 16 percent decline in the previous year. NTT said it was forming a global technology and services provider by combining the capabilities of 28 of its companies including NTT Communications Corp., Dimension Data Holdings PLC and NTT Security Corp. The goal is to create a top 5 global technology and business solutions provider with $20 billion in revenue outside Japan, Sawada said at the time.
Cryptography, the science of encoding and decoding data to maintain privacy, is fundamental to the internets security and plays a role in blockchain and cryptocurrencies, two red-hot areas of research and development. Quantum computing, which uses properties of quantum mechanics to speed up processing, has the potential to help discover new drugs and improve the algorithms that shape industrial logistics and supply chains.
The third area, medical informatics, presents an opportunity to apply powerful computing technologies to mapping molecules in a way that can help scientists better understand viruses and how to combat them.
- Six things you need to learn about quantum computing in finance - eFinancialCareers - July 4th, 2020
- Cybersecurity in the quantum era - ETCIO.com - July 4th, 2020
- There's a Hidden Economic Trendline That Is Shattering the Global Trade System - IDN InDepthNews | Analysis That Matters - July 4th, 2020
- How Will The World Look Like In 2025 And The Future Of Cybersecurity - Entrepreneur - July 4th, 2020
- Better encryption for wireless privacy at the dawn of quantum computing - UC Riverside - June 30th, 2020
- Menten AIs combination of buzzword bingo brings AI and quantum computing to drug discovery - TechCrunch - June 30th, 2020
- Paper Outlines the Role of ERM in Managing Risks Related to New Technologies - Business Wire - June 30th, 2020
- Airbus CTO Grazia Vittadini: Aviation needs to tap emerging technologies, diverse talent to get climate-neutral - Verdict Medical Devices - Medical... - June 30th, 2020
- Is IT regulation in the DARQ? - IT PRO - June 30th, 2020
- Sen. Warner: 5G ORAN Bill Added to Must-Pass Legislation - Multichannel News - June 30th, 2020
- Is teleportation possible? Yes, in the quantum world - University of Rochester - June 25th, 2020
- JPMorgan Shows Its Chops in Quantum Computing. Heres Why It Matters. - Barron's - June 25th, 2020
- Physicist Chen Wang Receives DOE Early Career Award - UMass News and Media Relations - June 25th, 2020
- Teleportation Is Indeed Possible At Least in the Quantum World - SciTechDaily - June 25th, 2020
- Cambridge Innovation Capital plc: Annual results for the year ended 31 March 2020 - PharmiWeb.com - June 25th, 2020
- Docuseries takes viewers into the lives and labs of scientists - UChicago News - June 25th, 2020
- Should children be taught quantum computing and other sciences that are studied in college? - Explica - June 25th, 2020
- Canadas 5G Moment Of Truth - Forbes - June 25th, 2020
- The Inter-dependence of Quantum Computing and Robotics - Analytics Insight - June 21st, 2020
- 2 thoughts on Learn Quantum Computing With Spaced Repetition - Hackaday - June 21st, 2020
- New Way to Assess the Performance of Quantum Devices - AZoQuantum - June 21st, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market 2020 Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Learn Quantum Computing With Spaced Repetition - Hackaday - June 21st, 2020
- GlobalQuantum Software Market Report 2020 Sales Forecast to Grow Negatively in Western Regio post COVID 19 Impact Analysis Updated Edition Top Players... - June 21st, 2020
- Is China Threatening Americas Dominance In The Digital Space? - Forbes - June 21st, 2020
- Lockheed's ventures arm backs quantum computing and training tech firms - Washington Technology - June 18th, 2020
- Brighton scientists in the race to build quantum computer - The Argus - June 18th, 2020
- Toronto-based Association Quantum appoints Northern Hive PR - Business Up North - June 18th, 2020
- NTT Research Builds Upon its Micro Technologies and Cryptography Expertise with Distinguished New Hires - Business Wire - June 18th, 2020
- Coming out of lockdown is harder than going in - Science Business - June 18th, 2020
- Northern Hive PR rides a wave of new client wins - Business Up North - June 18th, 2020
- Global and Asia Pacific Quantum Computing Market Research Report 2020 CoronaVirus Efect on Industry and Companies, Anyon Systems, Cambridge Quantum... - June 17th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market: Segmentation, Industry trends and Development to 2019-2029 - The Canton Independent Sentinel - June 17th, 2020
- Archer touts performing early-stage validation of quantum computing chip - ZDNet - June 16th, 2020
- Quantum computing is the next big leap - Lexology - June 16th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Analysis, Trends, Top Manufacturers, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 16th, 2020
- The technical realities of functional quantum computers - is Googles ten-year plan for Quantum Computing viable? - Diginomica - June 13th, 2020
- Quantum Computing And The End Of Encryption - Hackaday - June 13th, 2020
- First master's thesis in Quantum Computing defended at the University of Tartu - Baltic Times - June 13th, 2020
- What's New in HPC Research: Hermione, Thermal Neutrons, Certifications & More - HPCwire - June 13th, 2020
- Preparing for the Jobs of the Future: The Coding School and MIT Physicists Are Making Quantum Computing Accessible to High School Students This Summer... - June 5th, 2020
- QCI Achieves Best-in-Class Performance with its Mukai Quantum-Ready Application Platform - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - June 5th, 2020
- India and Australia pump $12.7 million into AI, quantum computing and robotics renewing their cyber and crit - Business Insider India - June 5th, 2020
- Spain's CaixaBank Teams With IBM Services to Accelerate Cloud Transformation and Innovation in the Financial Services - AiThority - June 5th, 2020
- Riverlane partners with biotech company Astex - Cambridge Network - June 5th, 2020
- Faujis Tour of Duty - The Statesman - June 5th, 2020
- Why your website may be packed with malware - TechHQ - June 5th, 2020
- House Introduces the Advancing Quantum Computing Act - Lexology - May 30th, 2020
- The Role of Quantum Computing in Online Education - MarketScale - May 30th, 2020
- The University of New Mexico Becomes IBM Q Hub's First University Member - HPCwire - May 30th, 2020
- Riverlane partner with bio-tech company Astex - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - May 30th, 2020
- Bipartisan push for US$100 billion investment in science - University World News - May 30th, 2020
- What's New in HPC Research: Astronomy, Weather, Security & More - HPCwire - May 30th, 2020
- Total to crunch the numbers on 'nanoporus' materials to hone carbon capture - Recharge - May 24th, 2020
- Total partners with Cambridge Quantum Computing on CO2 capture - Green Car Congress - May 20th, 2020
- Seeqc UK Awarded 1.8M In Grants To Advance Quantum Computing Initiatives - Business Wire - May 20th, 2020
- Atos and CSC empower the Finnish quantum research community with Atos Quantum Learning Machine - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - May 20th, 2020
- Light Waves Used to Access Unique Properties of the Quantum World - AZoQuantum - May 20th, 2020
- Weekly Update: Global Coronavirus Impact and Implications on Quantum Computing Market Forecast Report Offers Key Insights, Key Drivers, Technology -... - May 20th, 2020
- Quantum computing will (eventually) help us discover vaccines in days - VentureBeat - May 16th, 2020
- Registration Open for Inaugural IEEE International Conference on Quantum Computing and Engineering (QCE20) - PRNewswire - May 16th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- The Global Quantum Dots Market is expected to grow from USD 2,581.12 Million in 2018 to USD 10,423.13 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound Annual... - May 16th, 2020
- Quantum computing analytics: Put this on your IT roadmap - TechRepublic - May 15th, 2020
- David Graves to Head New Research at PPPL for Plasma Applications in Industry and Quantum Information Science - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing... - May 15th, 2020
- Registration Open for Inaugural IEEE International Conference on Quantum Computing and Engineering - HPCwire - May 15th, 2020
- Seeqc UK Awarded 1.8M in Grants to Advance Quantum Computing Initiatives - HPCwire - May 15th, 2020
- Yale College 2020: Meet some of the graduates - Yale News - May 15th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Analysis, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - News Distinct - May 15th, 2020
- Video: The Future of Quantum Computing with IBM - insideHPC - May 14th, 2020
- Topological Quantum Computing Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- IonQ CEO Peter Chapman on how quantum computing will change the future of AI - VentureBeat - May 14th, 2020
- New Tool Could Pave the Way for Future Insights in Quantum Chemistry - AZoQuantum - May 14th, 2020
- Daily AI Roundup: The Coolest Things on Earth Today - AiThority - May 14th, 2020
- Research Fellow in Geometric Topology job with UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS | 206608 - Times Higher Education (THE) - May 14th, 2020
- Archer to work alongside IBM in progressing quantum computing - ZDNet - May 6th, 2020
- A Discovery That Long Eluded Physicists: Superconductivity to the Edge - SciTechDaily - May 6th, 2020
- Physicists Criticize Stephen Wolfram's 'Theory of Everything' - Scientific American - May 6th, 2020
- Virtual ICM Seminar: 'HPC Simulations of the Early Universe' - HPCwire - May 6th, 2020
- 9 great reads from CNET this week - CNET - May 4th, 2020