Its time to rethink your digital strategy in the context of people. Its not just about adding new technologies like quantum computing, IoT, or AI, but how that tech will make your employees connect more effectively with their work. Its also time to shift from the here-and-now and look further out, revisiting your long-term strategies. To get the most out of your technology investments, you need to hit the pause button and think more about how you can connect your people to the goals you hope to achieve with that technology.
When the pandemic hit in March, many companies long-term plans and strategies were thrown out the window, as everyone from the frontlines to the C-suite shifted into fire-fighting mode. Many worked around the clock by leveraging remote technology. Its often been exhausting, as each day seems to bring new challenges and obstacles to overcome. As a result, the past six months have felt more like six years to a lot of us.
This pace isnt sustainable. While you may have needed your organization to run at 200 miles-per-hour as you learned to adjust to the new realities of the pandemic, youre now risking serious burnout among your team. Research shows that employees are reporting alarming levels of stress and fatigue, and the risk for depression among U.S. workers has risen by 102% as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.
This is becoming a serious threat to organizations, including those who have already been forced to lay off staff or downsize. The paradox is that while many organizations have gained new efficiencies from embracing digital transformation using technologies such as Zoom to keep their workforce functioning remotely they may now risk losing their best employees, many of whom feel disconnected and disengaged in this new digital workplace. A recent survey from the consultancy KPMG found that losing talent is now the number one risk organizations face.
Thats why its time to rethink your digital strategy in the context of people. Its not just about adding new technologies like quantum computing, IoT, or AI, but how that tech will make your employees connect more effectively with their work. Its also time to shift from the here-and-now and look further out, revisiting your long-term strategies. To get the most out of your technology investments, you need to hit the pause button and think more about how you can connect your people to the goals you hope to achieve with that technology.
Over the course of my career, Ive studied more than 1,000 organizations and have coached more than 100 organizations that have undergone significant transformations. Over the past five years, Ive been particularly interested in the impact of DT and how organizations can leverage technology for growth. What Ive learned is that most digital transformation efforts fail often spectacularly which leads to hundreds of billions of dollars in wasted investment and the deterioration of employee engagement.
My mission has been to help coach organizations to achieve more positive outcomes through their digital transformation efforts. More recently, Ive been researching how the model I developed last year a transformation framework in partnership with the Project Management Institute (PMI), called The Brightline Transformation Framework can be applied to Covid-19 and its impact on organizational efforts to embrace digital transformation.
Specifically, this approach aligns the inside-out which means aligning every employees most important personal aspiration with the outside-in, where employees understand and embrace the companys strategic vision, so that everyone is working toward the same objectives.
Outside-In Approach. Employees must first understand and embrace the companys north star, including customer insights and megatrends, so everyone is working toward the same objectives.
Inside-Out Approach. Aligning every employees purpose or personal north star with those of the company includes:
Taking this approach is more relevant than ever in the wake of the pandemic, as it emphasizes that employees personal goals and engagement are the critical factors underpinning every successful transformation much more so than other elements like technology or business processes.
For organizations to thrive in a post-Covid world, while simultaneously tackling the challenges of burnout and the threat to employee retention, there is an urgent need to rethink these two key areas:
1. Bring the Outside In
The pandemic has changed the landscape of many industries ecosystems leading to an existential crisis for many organizations. Consider Airbnb, whose business suffered a loss of a billion dollars due to guest cancellations all while paying out some $250 million to compensate their hosts for their losses. The company now recognizes that nothing will ever be the same again. To help engage their team in adjusting to the new realities of the marketplace, the leadership team embarked on an outside-in transformation exercise that helped them identify their new north star; the transformational goal they wanted to achieve that could help propel the company forward for the long run.
As CEO Brian Chesky framed it, the companys new goal was to get back to our roots, back to the basics, back to what is truly special about Airbnb everyday people who host their homes and offer experiences. One of the trends Chesky and his team identified was that, as a result of the pandemic, there is a growing acceptance that people can now work from anywhere which could open up new opportunities to service customers interested in traveling and experiencing unique communities and cultures for an extended time. At the same time, the company has begun winding down activities that werent core to the business such as scaling back on investments in transports, hotels, and luxury properties.
2. Align Your Inside-Out with the Outside-In
Once Airbnb had established where it wanted to go, the company embarked on an inside-out journey with its employees helping them connect to the companys new north star by creating personal/team vision statements that aligned with the greater goal to help create the human connections that so many people miss these days. The idea was to enlist employees help in rebuilding the business, and to enlist their feedback on how they could directly impact the companys efforts to scale and prosper again.
Another Outside-In/Inside-Out transformation effort has been occurring at Kasikornbank (KBank), one of the largest banks in Thailand. [Disclosure: they are a client of mine.] The companys north star was not only to save jobs they kept all their workers during the pandemic but also to save their customers: small and medium-sized businesses. KBank and its employees worked closely with thousands of their clients to help them weather the storm by offering to delay their loan payments, as long as those businesses also avoided layoffs the kind of program usually only initiated by governments. Its estimated that KBanks efforts saved some 41,000 jobs, which gave their employees a sense of purpose, confidence, and loyalty as a result of their organization making such a positive difference to their country.
Covid-19 has taught us how connected and integrated we all are with each other and with the communities in which we operate. Its now time to give your employees the opportunity to understand how your organizations north star aligns with their desire to contribute to a meaningful cause. Thats how you get them to re-engage while recharging their emotional energy stores. The longer you wait to make these connections, the more your organization is at risk of losing the human capital it requires to thrive into the future, regardless of how much you spend on technology.
- Microsoft and KPMG will try out quantum algorithms on real-world problems - GeekWire - December 3rd, 2021
- Honeywell Superpositions Itself in the Quantum Computing Industry With New Company Quantinuum - TECHdotMN - December 3rd, 2021
- Where does EU stand in the quantum computing race with China and US? - TechHQ - December 3rd, 2021
- Pistoia Alliance predicts a focus on the fight against antimicrobial resistance and a surge in quantum computing research for 2022 - Bio-IT World - November 25th, 2021
- Atom Computing: A Quantum Computing Startup That Believes It Can Ultimately Win The Qubit Race - Forbes - November 22nd, 2021
- Creating Dynamic Symmetry in Diamond Crystals To Improve Qubits for Quantum Computing - SciTechDaily - November 22nd, 2021
- Don Kahle: Quantum quandaries are emerging - The Register-Guard - November 22nd, 2021
- 4 key threats to the new central bank digital currencies - World Economic Forum - November 22nd, 2021
- IBM creates largest ever superconducting quantum computer - New Scientist - November 15th, 2021
- Quantum computing breakthrough may help us learn about the earliest moments of the universe - TechRadar - November 15th, 2021
- Atos and NVIDIA to Advance Climate and Healthcare Research With Exascale Computing - HPCwire - November 15th, 2021
- IBM Launches Its First Quantum Computing Certification | The Info-Tech Brief - Oakland News Now - November 15th, 2021
- Intel Marks 50th Anniversary of the Intel 4004 - HPCwire - November 15th, 2021
- QCI Qatalyst Selected by BMW Group and Amazon Web Services as a Finalist in the Quantum Computing Challenge - HPCwire - November 11th, 2021
- Will Quantum Computers Burst The Bitcoin Boom? - Forbes - November 10th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Market Research Report by Technology, by Deployment, by Offering, by End-Use, by Application, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 -... - November 10th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Inc. to Present at the ROTH 10th Annual - GlobeNewswire - November 10th, 2021
- QCI Qatalyst Selected by BMW Group and Amazon Web Services - GlobeNewswire - November 10th, 2021
- Nvidia Declares That It Is A Full-Stack Platform - The Next Platform - November 10th, 2021
- ANET: Add These 3 Soaring Computer Hardware Stocks to Your Watchlist - StockNews.com - November 10th, 2021
- Rigetti and Oxford Instruments Participate and Sponsor The City - Marketscreener.com - November 10th, 2021
- Lost in Space-Time newsletter: Will a twisted universe save cosmology? - New Scientist - November 10th, 2021
- IonQ Is First Quantum Startup to Go Public; Will It be First to Deliver Profits? - HPCwire - November 6th, 2021
- QUANTUM COMPUTING INC. Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations, (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - November 6th, 2021
- Pasqal named startup of the year by L'Usine Nouvelle - EurekAlert - November 6th, 2021
- Quantum Blockchain Technologies Plc - Update on FPGA and ASIC Development - Yahoo Finance UK - November 6th, 2021
- Quantum Xchange Joins the Hudson Institute's Quantum Alliance Initiative - PRNewswire - November 6th, 2021
- Is This the Right Time for a Cryptography Risk Assessment? - Security Boulevard - November 6th, 2021
- IBM and Raytheon Collaborating on AI, Cryptography, and Quantum Computing - Datamation - October 30th, 2021
- AWS Announces Opening of the AWS Center for Quantum Computing - HPCwire - October 30th, 2021
- China makes a quantum computer streets ahead of the US - Fudzilla - October 30th, 2021
- CyberHive's Gareth Lockwood on how quantum computing changes the rules of threat protection - TechCentral.ie - October 30th, 2021
- Amazon partners with UCLA on science hub focusing on AI and its social impact - Yahoo Finance - October 30th, 2021
- Sumitomo Corporation Quantum Transformation (QX) Project - Quantum Computer Improves Performance of Traffic Control for Flying Cars, One Step Closer... - October 20th, 2021
- 3 CQE members Receive Awards from the American Physical Society - HPCwire - October 20th, 2021
- INSIDE QUANTUM TECHNOLOGY New York, The Largest Business Quantum Technology Conference and Exhibition, Announces Focus on Quantum Safe Initiatives and... - October 20th, 2021
- Incredible Growth of Quantum Computing in Health Care Market by 2028 | D-Wave Solutions, IBM, Google EcoChunk - EcoChunk - October 20th, 2021
- IonQ and University of Maryland Researchers Demonstrate Fault-Tolerant Error Correction, Critical for Unlocking the Full Potential of Quantum... - October 12th, 2021
- Quantum computing startups pull in millions as VCs rush to get ahead of the game - The Register - October 12th, 2021
- Zapata, University of Hull researchers take quantum computing to deep space - FierceElectronics - October 12th, 2021
- IBM and Raytheon Technologies collaborate on AI, cryptography and quantum technologies - Scientific Computing World - October 12th, 2021
- How science and diplomacy inform each other - SWI swissinfo.ch - swissinfo.ch - October 12th, 2021
- Digital Wealth Management Fees to Increase Threefold to $12.6 Billion By 2026 - Yahoo Finance - October 12th, 2021
- Is Neuromorphic Computing The Answer For Autonomous Driving And Personal Robotics? - Forbes - October 12th, 2021
- IonQ is set to make its public trading debut. Here's a look at the quantum computing company's 2021 highlights - Technical.ly DC - October 2nd, 2021
- Connecting the Dots Between Material Properties and Superconducting Qubit Performance - SciTechDaily - October 2nd, 2021
- Quantum Computing in Agriculture Market to Witness Stellar CAGR During the Forecast Period 2021 -2026 - Northwest Diamond Notes - October 2nd, 2021
- What is quantum computing? - September 21st, 2021
- Why quantum computing is a security threat and how to defend against it [Q&A] - BetaNews - September 21st, 2021
- 'This Is The Beginning Of A New Industry': College Park Looks To Quantum Computing To Spark Office Growth - Bisnow - September 21st, 2021
- Prepare for the next phase of digital transformation at The Quantum Computing Summit - UKTN - UKTN (UK Technology News - September 21st, 2021
- A Simple Equation Indicates Wormholes May Be the Key to Quantum Gravity - Interesting Engineering - September 21st, 2021
- Explore Trends and COVID-19 Impact on Quantum Computing Market 2021 Research Report and Industry Forecast till 2027 | Know More Stillwater Current -... - September 21st, 2021
- Australias nuclear submarines and AUKUS: The view from Jakarta - Brookings Institution - September 21st, 2021
- Research on Quantum Computing in Health Care Market 2021: By Growing Rate, Type, Applications, Geographical Regions, and Forecast to 2026 - Northwest... - September 15th, 2021
- Atomically-Thin, Twisted Graphene Has Unique Properties That Could Advance Quantum Computing - SciTechDaily - September 15th, 2021
- For The First Time, Scientists Have Entangled Three Qubits on Silicon - ScienceAlert - September 15th, 2021
- UChicago, Duality Teams to Pitch at 2021 Chicago Venture Summit - Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation - Polsky Center for... - September 15th, 2021
- View: Its the Spacetime to Quantum - Economic Times - September 15th, 2021
- IonQ Scores Quantum Computing Deal With University Of Maryland And Announces Its Tripling 2021 Bookings - Forbes - September 11th, 2021
- How Horizon Plans To Bring Quantum Computing Out Of The Shadows - Forbes - September 11th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Breakthrough: Entanglement of Three Spin Qubits Achieved in Silicon - SciTechDaily - September 11th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Theorist Vojtech Vlcek Receives Research Award from DOE - HPCwire - September 11th, 2021
- UMD, IonQ join forces to create the nation's first quantum computing lab in College Park - The Diamondback - September 11th, 2021
- Quantum computing breakthrough achieved, road to the future begins now - TweakTown - September 11th, 2021
- Leading Chinese researchers are looking at the coming quantum revolution - The Press Stories - September 4th, 2021
- Top 10 Data Center Stories of the Month: August 2021 - Data Center Knowledge - September 4th, 2021
- Large-Scale Simulations Of The Brain May Need To Wait For Quantum Computers - Forbes - September 3rd, 2021
- NSA: We 'don't know when or even if' a quantum computer will ever be able to break today's public-key encryption - The Register - September 3rd, 2021
- IBM quantum computing: From healthcare to automotive to energy, real use cases are in play - TechRepublic - September 1st, 2021
- Quantum Computing in Manufacturing Market Rising Trends-Microsoft, D-Wave Solutions, Rigetti Computing, Intel UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel... - September 1st, 2021
- Quantum computers could read all your encrypted data. This 'quantum-safe' VPN aims to stop that - ZDNet - August 30th, 2021
- Sumitomo Corporation Quantum Transformation (QX) Project Announces Its Vision and Activities at the IEEE Quantum AI Sustainability Symposium -... - August 30th, 2021
- Life, the universe and everything Physics seeks the future - The Economist - August 30th, 2021
- This Exotic Particle Had an Out-of-Body Experience These Surprised Scientists Took a Picture of It - SciTechDaily - August 30th, 2021
- Deloitte's quantum computing leader on the technology's healthcare future - Healthcare IT News - August 24th, 2021
- Experiments Prove Quantum Computing Errors Correlated, Tied to Cosmic Rays - SciTechDaily - August 24th, 2021
- Urgent Warning Issued Over The Future Of Bitcoin Even As The Crypto Market Price Smashes Past $2 Trillion - Forbes - August 24th, 2021
- Sumitomo Corporation Quantum Transformation (QX) Project Announces Its Vision and Activities at the IEEE Quantum AI Sustainability Symposium - Yahoo... - August 24th, 2021
- Energy Department Sets $61M of Funding to Advance QIS Research - MeriTalk - August 24th, 2021