About ten years ago, Todd Holmdahl, corporate vice president of Microsoft Quantum, was working on Kinect, the groundbreaking motion-sensing accessory for the Xbox 360.
It was the first time in his career that he used artificial intelligence and machine learning. It excited him enough that he would tell his own children that AI would be the most in-demand field in the tech industry.
"I told my kids that you should do what you're passionate about, but if you want a job, you can always get a job in machine learning and AI," Holmdahl told Business Insider in a recent conversation.
Today, he would have different advice for his kids, or any other kids who needed career advice.
"I really think today where people are in quantum computing, it is going to happen," says Holmdahl. "I would tell them today to get into quantum computing."
Quantum computers have special properties that allow them to process exponentially more information than a regular, also called "classical," computer. With a classical computer, data is represented as a binary string of 1's and 0's. Quantum computers, however, can represent data as 0, 1, or both at the same time, which for complicated mathematical reasons means that they can process a lot more data at once.
Potentially, quantum computers could be used for predicting the stock market, finding more efficient shipping routes, food production, chemistry, drug discovery, cryptography and more.
"Quantum computing is the opportunity to take a classic problem like health care and climate change and to be able to solve them in hours or seconds on a quantum computer," Holmdahl said. "The way a quantum computer works is that it can look at a multitude of different dimensions."
At the same time, experts have told Business Insider that we're still 5 to 10 years away from the point at which quantum computers will surpass their classical brethern at most tasks.
Read more:Quantum computing could change everything, and IBM is racing with Microsoft, Intel, and Google to conquer it. Here's what you need to know
In 2018, less than 1% of organizations budgeted for quantum computing projects, but analyst firm Gartner estimates that by 2023, this will rise to 20%. And according to the analysts at Forrester, VCs invested $85 million into quantum computing in 2015. Two years later, that had skyrocketed to $400 million.
Krysta Svore, general manager of quantum software at Microsoft Microsoft
"We're really at a moment when many businesses are starting to think about the promise of quantum information sciences and the promise of quantum computing for solving the world's most challenging problems," Krysta Svore, general manager of quantum software at Microsoft, told Business Insider.
Currently at Microsoft, Holmdahl is leading the team in building a topological qubit, which fragments electrons to store information in multiple places at the same time. This is a different way of thinking about it than the approach other companies are taking: Intel, IBM and Google are using superconducting circuits to build quantum computers, similar to the basic ways classical computers are made today.
Although analysts say Microsoft's approach is a major risk, if it works, it could put Microsoft ahead of its competitors with a much more powerful quantum computer. Holmdahl says Microsoft is aiming to finish its qubit by the end of this year.
Quantum computers are still in their early stages, but Holmdahl expects more jobs to open up for people to conduct research and to build quantum computing hardware and software. In fact, Microsoft just helped launch a summit to bring more talent itoquantum computing, and started a quantum programming course for undergraduates.
"Microsoft's focus is producing a scalable quantum computer and bringing that forward for our customers and for our future," Svore said. "To do that, we need to be able to accelerate the progress in quantum computing. We need to be able to educate a whole world of quantum developers."
Microsoft quantum computing project in Copenhagen, Denmark Microsoft
It may be too late for Holmdahl to tell his kids to get into quantum computing a decade early, but he says that there's still a lot of opportunity there for anybody who wants to get in on the ground floor.
"It's a field that's going to grow," Holmdahl said. "We need a number of people to sustain and staff it and you can see Microsoft is putting a bunch of efforts to invest in the quantum workforce. This will be the biggest thing in our generation. This is going to be able to do amazing things in the future."
Go here to read the rest:
The promise of quantum computing - businessinsider.com
- Better encryption for wireless privacy at the dawn of quantum computing - UC Riverside - June 30th, 2020
- Menten AIs combination of buzzword bingo brings AI and quantum computing to drug discovery - TechCrunch - June 30th, 2020
- Paper Outlines the Role of ERM in Managing Risks Related to New Technologies - Business Wire - June 30th, 2020
- Airbus CTO Grazia Vittadini: Aviation needs to tap emerging technologies, diverse talent to get climate-neutral - Verdict Medical Devices - Medical... - June 30th, 2020
- Is IT regulation in the DARQ? - IT PRO - June 30th, 2020
- Sen. Warner: 5G ORAN Bill Added to Must-Pass Legislation - Multichannel News - June 30th, 2020
- Is teleportation possible? Yes, in the quantum world - University of Rochester - June 25th, 2020
- JPMorgan Shows Its Chops in Quantum Computing. Heres Why It Matters. - Barron's - June 25th, 2020
- Physicist Chen Wang Receives DOE Early Career Award - UMass News and Media Relations - June 25th, 2020
- Teleportation Is Indeed Possible At Least in the Quantum World - SciTechDaily - June 25th, 2020
- Cambridge Innovation Capital plc: Annual results for the year ended 31 March 2020 - PharmiWeb.com - June 25th, 2020
- Docuseries takes viewers into the lives and labs of scientists - UChicago News - June 25th, 2020
- Should children be taught quantum computing and other sciences that are studied in college? - Explica - June 25th, 2020
- Canadas 5G Moment Of Truth - Forbes - June 25th, 2020
- The Inter-dependence of Quantum Computing and Robotics - Analytics Insight - June 21st, 2020
- 2 thoughts on Learn Quantum Computing With Spaced Repetition - Hackaday - June 21st, 2020
- New Way to Assess the Performance of Quantum Devices - AZoQuantum - June 21st, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market 2020 Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Learn Quantum Computing With Spaced Repetition - Hackaday - June 21st, 2020
- GlobalQuantum Software Market Report 2020 Sales Forecast to Grow Negatively in Western Regio post COVID 19 Impact Analysis Updated Edition Top Players... - June 21st, 2020
- Is China Threatening Americas Dominance In The Digital Space? - Forbes - June 21st, 2020
- Lockheed's ventures arm backs quantum computing and training tech firms - Washington Technology - June 18th, 2020
- Brighton scientists in the race to build quantum computer - The Argus - June 18th, 2020
- Toronto-based Association Quantum appoints Northern Hive PR - Business Up North - June 18th, 2020
- NTT Research Builds Upon its Micro Technologies and Cryptography Expertise with Distinguished New Hires - Business Wire - June 18th, 2020
- Coming out of lockdown is harder than going in - Science Business - June 18th, 2020
- Northern Hive PR rides a wave of new client wins - Business Up North - June 18th, 2020
- Global and Asia Pacific Quantum Computing Market Research Report 2020 CoronaVirus Efect on Industry and Companies, Anyon Systems, Cambridge Quantum... - June 17th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market: Segmentation, Industry trends and Development to 2019-2029 - The Canton Independent Sentinel - June 17th, 2020
- Archer touts performing early-stage validation of quantum computing chip - ZDNet - June 16th, 2020
- Quantum computing is the next big leap - Lexology - June 16th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Analysis, Trends, Top Manufacturers, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 16th, 2020
- The technical realities of functional quantum computers - is Googles ten-year plan for Quantum Computing viable? - Diginomica - June 13th, 2020
- Quantum Computing And The End Of Encryption - Hackaday - June 13th, 2020
- First master's thesis in Quantum Computing defended at the University of Tartu - Baltic Times - June 13th, 2020
- What's New in HPC Research: Hermione, Thermal Neutrons, Certifications & More - HPCwire - June 13th, 2020
- Preparing for the Jobs of the Future: The Coding School and MIT Physicists Are Making Quantum Computing Accessible to High School Students This Summer... - June 5th, 2020
- QCI Achieves Best-in-Class Performance with its Mukai Quantum-Ready Application Platform - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - June 5th, 2020
- India and Australia pump $12.7 million into AI, quantum computing and robotics renewing their cyber and crit - Business Insider India - June 5th, 2020
- Spain's CaixaBank Teams With IBM Services to Accelerate Cloud Transformation and Innovation in the Financial Services - AiThority - June 5th, 2020
- Riverlane partners with biotech company Astex - Cambridge Network - June 5th, 2020
- Faujis Tour of Duty - The Statesman - June 5th, 2020
- Why your website may be packed with malware - TechHQ - June 5th, 2020
- House Introduces the Advancing Quantum Computing Act - Lexology - May 30th, 2020
- The Role of Quantum Computing in Online Education - MarketScale - May 30th, 2020
- The University of New Mexico Becomes IBM Q Hub's First University Member - HPCwire - May 30th, 2020
- Riverlane partner with bio-tech company Astex - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - May 30th, 2020
- Bipartisan push for US$100 billion investment in science - University World News - May 30th, 2020
- What's New in HPC Research: Astronomy, Weather, Security & More - HPCwire - May 30th, 2020
- Total to crunch the numbers on 'nanoporus' materials to hone carbon capture - Recharge - May 24th, 2020
- Total partners with Cambridge Quantum Computing on CO2 capture - Green Car Congress - May 20th, 2020
- Seeqc UK Awarded 1.8M In Grants To Advance Quantum Computing Initiatives - Business Wire - May 20th, 2020
- Atos and CSC empower the Finnish quantum research community with Atos Quantum Learning Machine - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - May 20th, 2020
- Light Waves Used to Access Unique Properties of the Quantum World - AZoQuantum - May 20th, 2020
- Weekly Update: Global Coronavirus Impact and Implications on Quantum Computing Market Forecast Report Offers Key Insights, Key Drivers, Technology -... - May 20th, 2020
- Quantum computing will (eventually) help us discover vaccines in days - VentureBeat - May 16th, 2020
- Registration Open for Inaugural IEEE International Conference on Quantum Computing and Engineering (QCE20) - PRNewswire - May 16th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- The Global Quantum Dots Market is expected to grow from USD 2,581.12 Million in 2018 to USD 10,423.13 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound Annual... - May 16th, 2020
- Quantum computing analytics: Put this on your IT roadmap - TechRepublic - May 15th, 2020
- David Graves to Head New Research at PPPL for Plasma Applications in Industry and Quantum Information Science - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing... - May 15th, 2020
- Registration Open for Inaugural IEEE International Conference on Quantum Computing and Engineering - HPCwire - May 15th, 2020
- Seeqc UK Awarded 1.8M in Grants to Advance Quantum Computing Initiatives - HPCwire - May 15th, 2020
- Yale College 2020: Meet some of the graduates - Yale News - May 15th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Analysis, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - News Distinct - May 15th, 2020
- Video: The Future of Quantum Computing with IBM - insideHPC - May 14th, 2020
- Topological Quantum Computing Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- IonQ CEO Peter Chapman on how quantum computing will change the future of AI - VentureBeat - May 14th, 2020
- New Tool Could Pave the Way for Future Insights in Quantum Chemistry - AZoQuantum - May 14th, 2020
- Daily AI Roundup: The Coolest Things on Earth Today - AiThority - May 14th, 2020
- Research Fellow in Geometric Topology job with UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS | 206608 - Times Higher Education (THE) - May 14th, 2020
- Archer to work alongside IBM in progressing quantum computing - ZDNet - May 6th, 2020
- A Discovery That Long Eluded Physicists: Superconductivity to the Edge - SciTechDaily - May 6th, 2020
- Physicists Criticize Stephen Wolfram's 'Theory of Everything' - Scientific American - May 6th, 2020
- Virtual ICM Seminar: 'HPC Simulations of the Early Universe' - HPCwire - May 6th, 2020
- 9 great reads from CNET this week - CNET - May 4th, 2020
- Devs: Here's the real science behind the quantum computing TV show - New Scientist News - May 4th, 2020
- IBM Announces a Quantum Challenge With Four Exercises to Solve in 4 Days - Database Trends and Applications - May 4th, 2020
- New Princeton study takes superconductivity to the edge - Princeton University - May 4th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Inclinations And Development Status Highlighted During Forecast Period 2019-2026 - Latest Herald - April 29th, 2020