About ten years ago, Todd Holmdahl, corporate vice president of Microsoft Quantum, was working on Kinect, the groundbreaking motion-sensing accessory for the Xbox 360.
It was the first time in his career that he used artificial intelligence and machine learning. It excited him enough that he would tell his own children that AI would be the most in-demand field in the tech industry.
"I told my kids that you should do what you're passionate about, but if you want a job, you can always get a job in machine learning and AI," Holmdahl told Business Insider in a recent conversation.
Today, he would have different advice for his kids, or any other kids who needed career advice.
"I really think today where people are in quantum computing, it is going to happen," says Holmdahl. "I would tell them today to get into quantum computing."
Quantum computers have special properties that allow them to process exponentially more information than a regular, also called "classical," computer. With a classical computer, data is represented as a binary string of 1's and 0's. Quantum computers, however, can represent data as 0, 1, or both at the same time, which for complicated mathematical reasons means that they can process a lot more data at once.
Potentially, quantum computers could be used for predicting the stock market, finding more efficient shipping routes, food production, chemistry, drug discovery, cryptography and more.
"Quantum computing is the opportunity to take a classic problem like health care and climate change and to be able to solve them in hours or seconds on a quantum computer," Holmdahl said. "The way a quantum computer works is that it can look at a multitude of different dimensions."
At the same time, experts have told Business Insider that we're still 5 to 10 years away from the point at which quantum computers will surpass their classical brethern at most tasks.
Read more:Quantum computing could change everything, and IBM is racing with Microsoft, Intel, and Google to conquer it. Here's what you need to know
In 2018, less than 1% of organizations budgeted for quantum computing projects, but analyst firm Gartner estimates that by 2023, this will rise to 20%. And according to the analysts at Forrester, VCs invested $85 million into quantum computing in 2015. Two years later, that had skyrocketed to $400 million.
Krysta Svore, general manager of quantum software at Microsoft Microsoft
"We're really at a moment when many businesses are starting to think about the promise of quantum information sciences and the promise of quantum computing for solving the world's most challenging problems," Krysta Svore, general manager of quantum software at Microsoft, told Business Insider.
Currently at Microsoft, Holmdahl is leading the team in building a topological qubit, which fragments electrons to store information in multiple places at the same time. This is a different way of thinking about it than the approach other companies are taking: Intel, IBM and Google are using superconducting circuits to build quantum computers, similar to the basic ways classical computers are made today.
Although analysts say Microsoft's approach is a major risk, if it works, it could put Microsoft ahead of its competitors with a much more powerful quantum computer. Holmdahl says Microsoft is aiming to finish its qubit by the end of this year.
Quantum computers are still in their early stages, but Holmdahl expects more jobs to open up for people to conduct research and to build quantum computing hardware and software. In fact, Microsoft just helped launch a summit to bring more talent itoquantum computing, and started a quantum programming course for undergraduates.
"Microsoft's focus is producing a scalable quantum computer and bringing that forward for our customers and for our future," Svore said. "To do that, we need to be able to accelerate the progress in quantum computing. We need to be able to educate a whole world of quantum developers."
Microsoft quantum computing project in Copenhagen, Denmark Microsoft
It may be too late for Holmdahl to tell his kids to get into quantum computing a decade early, but he says that there's still a lot of opportunity there for anybody who wants to get in on the ground floor.
"It's a field that's going to grow," Holmdahl said. "We need a number of people to sustain and staff it and you can see Microsoft is putting a bunch of efforts to invest in the quantum workforce. This will be the biggest thing in our generation. This is going to be able to do amazing things in the future."
Go here to read the rest:
The promise of quantum computing - businessinsider.com
- What Is Quantum Computing, And How Can It Unlock Value For Businesses? - Computer Business Review - January 27th, 2020
- The End Of The Digital Revolution Is Coming: Here's What's Next - Innovation Excellence - January 27th, 2020
- Healthcare venture investment in 2020: Quantum computing gets a closer look - Healthcare IT News - January 27th, 2020
- Delta Partners with IBM to Explore Quantum Computing - Database Trends and Applications - January 27th, 2020
- New Centers Lead the Way towards a Quantum Future - Energy.gov - January 27th, 2020
- ASC20 Finals to be Held in Shenzhen, Tasks Include Quantum Computing Simulation and AI Language Exam - HPCwire - January 27th, 2020
- Toshiba says it created an algorithm that beats quantum computers using standard hardware - TechSpot - January 27th, 2020
- Quantum networking projected to be $5.5 billion market in 2025 - TechRepublic - January 27th, 2020
- University of Sheffield launches Quantum centre to develop the technologies of tomorrow - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - January 27th, 2020
- 5 Emerging Technologies That Will Shape this Decade - San Diego Entertainer Magazine - January 27th, 2020
- Is Quantum Technology The Future Of The World? - The Coin Republic - January 12th, 2020
- Were approaching the limits of computer power we need new programmers now - The Guardian - January 12th, 2020
- Global Quantum Computing Market: What it got next? Find out with the latest research available at PMI - Pro News Time - January 12th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Technologies Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2020-2025, Latest study reveals - ReportsPioneer - January 12th, 2020
- Podcast: The Overhype and Underestimation of Quantum Computing - insideHPC - January 10th, 2020
- Charles Hoskinson Predicts Economic Collapse, Rise of Quantum Computing, Space Travel and Cryptocurrency in the 2020s - The Daily Hodl - January 10th, 2020
- Google and IBM square off in Schrodingers catfight over quantum supremacy - The Register - January 10th, 2020
- World High Performance Computing (HPC) Markets to 2025 - AI, IoT, and 5G will be Major Drivers for HPC Growth as they Facilitate the Need to Process... - January 10th, 2020
- Tucson Morning Blend Top 5 Tech Trends you'll love this year. Heather Rowe 1:27 - KGUN - January 6th, 2020
- Honeywell names Top 11 Innovations of 2019 - wingsmagazine.com - January 6th, 2020
- 19 Most In-Demand Tech Jobs in Silicon Valley (and the Companies Hiring) - Dice Insights - January 6th, 2020
- January 9th: France will unveil its quantum strategy. What can we expect from this report? - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - January 4th, 2020
- US Government Looks To Restrict Exports Of AI, Quantum Computing And Self-Driving Tech - WebProNews - January 4th, 2020
- News Content Hub - Five emerging technologies for the 2020s - Riviera Maritime Media - January 4th, 2020
- Superconductor or not? They're exploring the identity crisis of this weird quantum material. - News@Northeastern - January 3rd, 2020
- Year 2019 in Science: History of Humans, Ebola Treatment and Quantum Computing - NewsClick - January 3rd, 2020
- 5 tech that will explode in your life this decade - ETCIO.com - January 3rd, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Utilities and Recycling In Global 2020 Outlook, Business Strategies, Challenges and Forecasts - Market Research Sheets - January 3rd, 2020
- Quantum Teleportation Has Been Achieved With the Help of Quantum Entanglement - Dual Dove - January 3rd, 2020
- The science fiction that became science fact in 2019 - SYFY WIRE - January 3rd, 2020
- Global Quantum Computing Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth During 2020-2029 - Neptune Pine - January 3rd, 2020
- Quantum Computing Technologies market by Size | Growth | Analysis | Trends and Forecasts to 2020-2025 Bulletin Line - Bulletin Line - January 3rd, 2020
- The Impact of Quantum Computing on Banking will be gigantic says Deltec Bank, Bahamas - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - December 28th, 2019
- How This Breakthrough Makes Silicon-Based Qubit Chips The Future of Quantum Computing - Analytics India Magazine - December 28th, 2019
- 2020 Will be a Banner Year for AI Custom Chipsets and Heterogenous Computing; Quantum Computing Remains on the Far Horizon - Business Wire - December 28th, 2019
- Top 5: Scientific Breakthroughs That Made 2019 an Unforgettable Year of Human Progress - The Weather Channel - December 28th, 2019
- 2020 will be the beginning of the tech industry's radical revisioning of the physical world - TechCrunch - December 28th, 2019
- IBM and the U. of Tokyo launch quantum computing initiative for Japan | - University Business - December 25th, 2019
- IBM and the University of Tokyo Launch Quantum Computing Initiative for Japan - Martechcube - December 25th, 2019
- AI, 5G, 'ambient computing': What to expect in tech in 2020 and beyond - USA TODAY - December 18th, 2019
- The Quantum Computing Decade Is ComingHeres Why You Should Care - Observer - December 18th, 2019
- Shaping the technology transforming our society - Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory - December 17th, 2019
- Quantum Technology Expert to Discuss Quantum Sensors for Defense Applications at Office of Naval Research (ONR) - Business Wire - December 17th, 2019
- Comrehensive Report : Quantum Computing Market Global Analysis By Latest Trends, Share, Development And Growth By Regions To 2028 - Sound On Sound... - December 17th, 2019
- Anyscale, from the creators of the Ray distributed computing project, launches with $20.6M led by A16Z - TechCrunch - December 17th, 2019
- What WON'T Happen in 2020: 5G Wearables, Quantum Computing, and Self-Driving Trucks to Name a Few - Business Wire - December 16th, 2019
- Quantum computing leaps ahead in 2019 with new power and speed - CNET - December 12th, 2019
- Quantum computing could be the next big security breakthrough - ITProPortal - December 12th, 2019
- Quantum Computers Are the Ultimate Paper Tiger - The National Interest Online - December 12th, 2019
- D-Wave partners with NEC to build hybrid HPC and quantum apps - TechCrunch - December 12th, 2019
- Security leaders fear that quantum computing developments will outpace security technologies - Continuity Central - December 12th, 2019
- D-Wave Announces Promotion of Dr. Alan Baratz to CEO - HPCwire - December 12th, 2019
- Recent Research: Quantum Computing Market with Future Prospects, Key Players SWOT Analysis and Forecast To 2029 - Sound On Sound Fest - December 12th, 2019
- This Week in Tech: What on Earth Is a Quantum Computer? - The New York Times - December 7th, 2019
- Quantum Computers Are About to Forever Change Car Navigation - autoevolution - December 7th, 2019
- Amazon is now offering quantum computing as a service with Braket for AWS - The Verge - December 2nd, 2019
- ColdQuanta's Latest Ultracold Technology Heads to the International Space Station - Business Wire - December 2nd, 2019
- Researchers Discover New Way to Split and Sum Photons with Silicon - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - December 2nd, 2019
- Archer Materials invited to chair quantum computing session at London conference - Proactive Investors Australia - December 2nd, 2019
- Archer Materials to chair Quantum Computing session at London Quantum.Tech Conference in 2020 - Proactive Investors Australia - November 30th, 2019
- The Future of Computing could be Magnetic - Robert Lea - Medium - November 30th, 2019
- Innovate, and grow - Economic Times - November 30th, 2019
- Tech news: The quantum internet is on the way - IOL - November 22nd, 2019
- Device Puts Photons in the Fast Lane - Optics & Photonics News - November 22nd, 2019
- Race is on to build quantum-proof encryption - Financial Times - November 21st, 2019
- Atos partners with Zapata to deliver complete quantum computing solution to the enterprise - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - November 20th, 2019
- NTT offers researchers $1 million salaries in bid to lure top talent in cryptography, quantum computing - The Japan Times - November 20th, 2019
- Information overload: The promise and risk of quantum computing - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - November 17th, 2019
- D-Wave sticks with its approach to quantum computing - TechCrunch - November 17th, 2019
- Dell Technologies on democratising 5G and the future of quantum computing - ZDNet - November 17th, 2019
- How Serious Is the Threat of Quantum Computing to Crypto? - Finance Magnates - November 17th, 2019
- Superconducting quantum computing - Wikipedia - October 6th, 2019
- Quantum computing | MIT News - October 6th, 2019
- How Do Quantum Computers Work? - sciencealert.com - October 2nd, 2019
- What is Quantum Computing? - Definition from Techopedia - October 2nd, 2019
- How Quantum Computers Work | HowStuffWorks - September 5th, 2019
- Quantum computing could change everything, and IBM is ... - May 15th, 2019
- Quantum Computing - Intel - April 29th, 2019
- IBM expands universities in its quantum computing research ... - April 25th, 2019
- Quantum computing is a marathon not a sprint | VentureBeat - April 22nd, 2019