The future is here. Or just about. After a number of discoveries, researchers have proven that quantum computing is possible and on its way. The wider world did not pause long on this discovery: Goldman Sachs, Amazon, Google, and IBM have just announced their own intentions to embark on their own quantum developments.
Now that its within our reach we have to start seriously considering what that means in the real world. Certainly, we all stand to gain from the massive benefits that quantum capabilities can bring, but so do cybercriminals.
Scalable quantum computing will defeat much of modern-day encryption, such as the RSA 2048 bit keys, which secure computer networks everywhere. The U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology says as much, projecting that quantum in this decade will be able to break the protocols on which the modern internet relies.
The security profession hasnt taken the news lying down either. Preparations have begun in earnest. The DigiCert 2019 Post Quantum Cryptography (PQC) Survey aimed to examine exactly how companies were doing. Researchers surveyed 400 enterprises, each with 1,000 or more employees, across the US, Germany and Japan to get answers. They also conducted a focus group of nine different IT managers to further reveal those preparations.
SEE ALSO:DevSecOps Panel Best DevOps Security Practices & Best Tools
An encouraging development is that 35 percent of respondents already have a PQC budget, and a further 56 percent are discussing one in their organisations. Yet, many are still very early in the process of PQC planning. An IT manager within a manufacturing company said, We have a budget for security overall. Theres a segment allotted to this, but its not to the level or expense that is appropriate and should be there yet.
The time to start preparing, including inquiring of your vendors readiness for quantum computing threats, is now. One of the respondents, an IT Security manager at a financial services company, told surveyors, Were still in the early discussion phases because were not the only ones who are affected. There are third party partners and vendors that were in early discussions with on how we can be proactive and beef up our security. And quantum cryptology is one of the topics that we are looking at.
Others expanded upon that, noting that their early preparations heavily involve discussing the matter with third parties and vendors. Another focus group member, an IT manager at an industrial construction company, told the group, We have third party security companies that are working with us to come up with solutions to be proactive. So obviously, knock on wood, nothing has happened yet. But we are definitely always proactive from a security standpoint and were definitely trying to make sure that were ready once a solution is available.
Talking to your vendors and third parties should be a key part of any organisations planning process. To that end, organisations should be checking whether their partners will keep supporting and securing customers operations into the age of quantum.
The data itself was still at the centre of respondents minds when it came to protection from quantum threats, and when asked what they were focusing on in their preparations, respondents said that above all they were monitoring their own data. One respondent told us, The data is everything for anybody thats involved in protecting it. And so you just have to stay on top of it along with your vendors and continue to communicate.
One of the prime preparatory best practices that respondents called upon was monitoring. Knowing what kind of data flows within your environment, how its used and how its currently protected are all things that an enterprise has to find out as they prepare.
SEE ALSO:As quantum computing draws near, cryptography security concerns grow
To be sure, overhauling an enterprises cryptographic infrastructure is no small feat, but respondents listed understanding their organisations level of crypto agility as a priority. Quantum might be a few years off, but becoming crypto agile may take just as long.
Organisations will have to plan for a system which can easily swap out, integrate and change cryptographic algorithms within an organisation. Moreover, it must be able to do so quickly, cheaply and without any significant changes to the broader system. Practically, this means installing automated platforms which follow your cryptographic deployments so that you can remediate, revoke, renew, reissue or otherwise control any and all of your certificates at scale.
Many organisations are still taking their first tentative steps, and others have yet to take any. Now is the time for organisations to be assessing their deployments of crypto and digital certificates so they have proper crypto-agility and are ready to deploy quantum-resistant algorithms soon rather than being caught lacking when it finally arrives.
- Quantum computing at the nanoscale - News - The University of Sydney - April 8th, 2020
- Securing IoT in the Quantum Age - Eetasia.com - April 8th, 2020
- Inside the Global Race to Fight COVID-19 Using the World's Fastest Supercomputers - Scientific American - April 8th, 2020
- Global Quantum Computing Market 2025 company profile of each organization are entailed in the study : D-Wave Systems, Google, IBM, Intel, Microsoft,... - April 8th, 2020
- D-Wave makes its quantum computers free to anyone working on the coronavirus crisis - VentureBeat - April 1st, 2020
- Can Quantum Computing Be the New Buzzword - Analytics Insight - April 1st, 2020
- Q-CTRL to Host Live Demos of 'Quantum Control' Tools - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - April 1st, 2020
- We're Getting Closer to the Quantum Internet, But What Is It? - HowStuffWorks - April 1st, 2020
- Who Will Mine Cryptocurrency in the Future - Quantum Computers or the Human Body? - Coin Idol - April 1st, 2020
- Universities Space Research Association to Lead a DARPA Project on Quantum Computing - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - April 1st, 2020
- The Schizophrenic World Of Quantum Interpretations - Forbes - April 1st, 2020
- Disrupt The Datacenter With Orchestration - The Next Platform - April 1st, 2020
- Quantum Computing strikes technology partnership with Splunk - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - March 26th, 2020
- Devs: Alex Garland on Tech Company Cults, Quantum Computing, and Determinism - Den of Geek UK - March 26th, 2020
- Is Machine Learning The Quantum Physics Of Computer Science ? - Forbes - March 26th, 2020
- Recent PDF Report : Quantum Computing Market 2020: In-depth Industry Analysis By Size, Share, Competition, Opportunities And Growth By 2029 - Sound On... - March 26th, 2020
- Organisms grow in wave pattern, similar to ocean circulation - Big Think - March 26th, 2020
- Tech incubator Fountech.Ventures launches in US and UK - UKTN - March 26th, 2020
- Why resilience is the key to future security - Raconteur - March 22nd, 2020
- Quantum computing is right around the corner, but cooling is a problem. What are the options? - Diginomica - March 21st, 2020
- Quantum Computing: Will It Actually Produce Jobs? - Dice Insights - March 21st, 2020
- Quantum computing, AI, China, and synthetics highlighted in 2020 Tech Trends report - VentureBeat - March 16th, 2020
- Early investment in quantum computing could result in a competitive advantage - Help Net Security - March 16th, 2020
- Quantum Computing for Everyone - The Startup - Medium - March 16th, 2020
- UC Riverside to lead scalable quantum computing project using 3D printed ion traps - 3D Printing Industry - March 16th, 2020
- Deltec Bank, Bahamas - Quantum Computing Will have Positive Impacts on Portfolio Optimization, Risk Analysis, Asset Pricing, and Trading Strategies -... - March 16th, 2020
- NIST Works on the Industries of the Future in Buildings from the Past - Nextgov - March 16th, 2020
- Archer Materials" patent application received by World Intellectual Property Organisation - Proactive Investors Australia - March 16th, 2020
- Why the Journey to Cloud Must Start With the Workforce - AiThority - March 9th, 2020
- 'Devs': How the FX on Hulu show's tech compares with reality - Los Angeles Times - March 5th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2025 - Express Journal - March 5th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market 2019 Analysis by Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2029 - News Times - March 5th, 2020
- Cracking the uncertainty around quantum computing - Information Age - March 4th, 2020
- Surprise contender Honeywell enters the quantum computing race - New Scientist News - March 4th, 2020
- Cambridge Quantum Computing teams up with CERN to advance quantum technologies - IT Brief Australia - March 4th, 2020
- Gilles Brassard honoured by the BBVA Foundation for his work in quantum computing - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - March 4th, 2020
- U.S. Progress on AI and Quantum Computing Will Best China, Says CTO Michael Kratsios - BroadbandBreakfast.com - February 24th, 2020
- Scientists Have Discovered a Brand New Electronic State of Matter - ScienceAlert - February 24th, 2020
- Where the Buzz About Quantum Computing Is Wrong - Toolbox - February 21st, 2020
- New report: Quantum Computing Market Size position and size report for 2019 to 2023 recently published - Instant Tech News - February 21st, 2020
- Global Deep Learning Chip Market (2019 to 2027) - Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities and Trends - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 21st, 2020
- Quantum Computing Technologies Market: Industry Players Analysis, New Innovation, Growth Prospects, Size, Growth, Revenue, Development Policy,... - February 21st, 2020
- Why Quantum Computing Gets Special Attention In The Trump Administration's Budget Proposal - Texas Standard - February 20th, 2020
- Quantum Internet: The Technology That Could Change Everything? - The National Interest Online - February 20th, 2020
- HPC User Forum to Explore AI-HPDA Use In Banking and Investment Firms - insideHPC - February 20th, 2020
- 29 deeptech VCs in Europe you need to know - Sifted - February 20th, 2020
- Why Quantum Computing Gets Special Attention In The Trump Administration's Budget Proposal - KUT - February 19th, 2020
- The $600 quantum computer that could spell the end for conventional encryption - BetaNews - February 19th, 2020
- Quantum Internet Workshop Begins Mapping the Future of Quantum Communications - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - February 19th, 2020
- Correcting the jitters in quantum devices - MIT News - February 19th, 2020
- Govt creates tech group to chart the tech landscape for India - Economic Times - February 19th, 2020
- The EU is preparing to invest 2bn in a cloud computing alliance - NS Tech - February 19th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 19th, 2020
- Russian Quantum Center and Nissan have launched a project in the field of quantum chemistry - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - February 17th, 2020
- QUANTUM COMPUTING TECHNOLOGIES Market: Comprehensive study explores Huge Growth in Future | D-Wave Systems Inc., IBM Corporation, Lockheed Martin... - February 17th, 2020
- Quantum Internet Workshop Begins Mapping the Future of Quantum Communications - HPCwire - February 17th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast by 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Size Outlook 2026: Prime Firms, Trends, Growth Factors Details by Regions, Sorts and Applications - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- Nobody is behind in science and technology: Serguie Beloussov - Kuensel, Buhutan's National Newspaper - February 17th, 2020
- China beats US in key patents to secure technological dominance - The News International - February 17th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market 2019 Analysis by Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 15th, 2020
- Chinese researchers smash the record for realising two entangled quantum memories at maximum distance - www.computing.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Quantum Computing: How To Invest In It, And Which Companies Are Leading the Way? - Nasdaq - February 14th, 2020
- DOE Workshop Begins Mapping the Future of Quantum Communications - insideHPC - February 14th, 2020
- Scientists discover how to use time crystals to power superconductors - Big Think - February 14th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market With Four Main Geographies And Their Countries - Instant Tech News - February 14th, 2020
- Russian Quantum Center and Nissan have launched a project in the field of quantum chemistry - Research Snipers - February 14th, 2020
- Global Quantum Computing Market Newest Research Report In PDF With Forecast [2020-2029] : International Business Machines (IBM) Corporation, Google... - February 14th, 2020
- Budget 2020: Govt bets on AI, data analytics and quantum computing - Livemint - February 2nd, 2020
- This Week's Awesome Tech Stories From Around the Web (Through February 1) - Singularity Hub - February 2nd, 2020
- AI has great potential in transforming the world: Alphabet CEO Sundar Pichai - YourStory - February 2nd, 2020
- Budget 2020: New scheme to boost local manufacturing of mobiles, will iPhone get cheaper now? - India Today - February 2nd, 2020
- What Is Quantum Computing and How Does it Work? - Built In - January 30th, 2020
- IBM Just Called Out Google Over Their "Quantum Computer" - The National Interest Online - January 30th, 2020
- Quantum Computing releases its new software application called Mukai - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - January 30th, 2020
- Burning Things With Big Lasers In The Name Of Security - Hackaday - January 30th, 2020
- What Is Quantum Computing, And How Can It Unlock Value For Businesses? - Computer Business Review - January 27th, 2020
- The End Of The Digital Revolution Is Coming: Here's What's Next - Innovation Excellence - January 27th, 2020
- Healthcare venture investment in 2020: Quantum computing gets a closer look - Healthcare IT News - January 27th, 2020
- Delta Partners with IBM to Explore Quantum Computing - Database Trends and Applications - January 27th, 2020