Roughly a year after becoming Red Hats new chief executive officer, Paul Cormier took centre stage during the companys annual summit on Tuesday to dissect the open-source software giants structural combination with IBM.
It has been about two years since IBM bought Red Hat for $34 billion. And even though IBM CEO Arvind Krishna has said Red Hat Openshift is the crown jewel of IBMs plans to dominate the cloud industry, Red Hat continues to host separate channel partner programs and strategies.
I think clients have all realized that hybrid cloud is the destination, Krishna told Cormier during their joint keynote session, noting the main beneficiaries of hybrid cloud infrastructure are its enterprise and government clients that have multiple public clouds running in their offices.
IBM names new managed infrastructure business Kyndryl
These clients want to work with all hyperscalers, Krishna explained, meaning Red Hat has to meet their needs despite being tied to IBMs hip.
I always talk about how IBM might have preferences, but Red Hat cannot, he said. And to make the promise of hybridand make it really attractive and valuable for all of our clients, we have to work with all of them.
Thanks to the Red Hat effect and IBMs ongoing focus on becoming a software pipeline management and orchestration powerhouse, Big Blue finally got a taste of growth in the first quarter of 2021.
In Q1 2020, ending in March, IBMs overall revenues rose by one per cent to $17.73 billion, the first time the company has increased revenues in two years. Red Hat revenue specifically grew 17 per cent from a year ago. Cloud and cognitive software sales grew by four per cent.
IBM Global Business Services (GBS), the business consulting arm of IBM dealing mostly with software services and IT consulting, experienced a 2.4 per cent revenue increase. Cloud revenue within GBS increased by 33 per cent year-over-year. Cormier says IBM is ramping up to become the largest professional services organization around OpenShift and Red Hat products.
The Red Hat Summit featured nearly 100 sessions, and dozens were dedicated to hybrid cloud application environments. Some were led by IBMers like Hillery Hunter, VP and CTO of IBM Cloud, who dived into services like OpenShift, Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Red Hat Ansible Automation.
When Cormier asked Krishna what excited the IBM CEO the most heading into 2022, the conversation quickly shifted to quantum computing.
I think the way Linux, OpenShift and Ansible and the rest of Red Hat begin to play a role in quantum computing is super exciting, he answered.
Red Hat Summit continues today.
Go here to see the original:
To make acquisition work, IBM can have preferences says CEO Arvind Krishna, but Red Hat cant - IT World Canada
- Research on Quantum Computing in Health Care Market 2021: By Growing Rate, Type, Applications, Geographical Regions, and Forecast to 2026 - Northwest... - September 15th, 2021
- Atomically-Thin, Twisted Graphene Has Unique Properties That Could Advance Quantum Computing - SciTechDaily - September 15th, 2021
- For The First Time, Scientists Have Entangled Three Qubits on Silicon - ScienceAlert - September 15th, 2021
- UChicago, Duality Teams to Pitch at 2021 Chicago Venture Summit - Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation - Polsky Center for... - September 15th, 2021
- View: Its the Spacetime to Quantum - Economic Times - September 15th, 2021
- IonQ Scores Quantum Computing Deal With University Of Maryland And Announces Its Tripling 2021 Bookings - Forbes - September 11th, 2021
- How Horizon Plans To Bring Quantum Computing Out Of The Shadows - Forbes - September 11th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Breakthrough: Entanglement of Three Spin Qubits Achieved in Silicon - SciTechDaily - September 11th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Theorist Vojtech Vlcek Receives Research Award from DOE - HPCwire - September 11th, 2021
- UMD, IonQ join forces to create the nation's first quantum computing lab in College Park - The Diamondback - September 11th, 2021
- Quantum computing breakthrough achieved, road to the future begins now - TweakTown - September 11th, 2021
- Leading Chinese researchers are looking at the coming quantum revolution - The Press Stories - September 4th, 2021
- Top 10 Data Center Stories of the Month: August 2021 - Data Center Knowledge - September 4th, 2021
- Large-Scale Simulations Of The Brain May Need To Wait For Quantum Computers - Forbes - September 3rd, 2021
- NSA: We 'don't know when or even if' a quantum computer will ever be able to break today's public-key encryption - The Register - September 3rd, 2021
- IBM quantum computing: From healthcare to automotive to energy, real use cases are in play - TechRepublic - September 1st, 2021
- Quantum Computing in Manufacturing Market Rising Trends-Microsoft, D-Wave Solutions, Rigetti Computing, Intel UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel... - September 1st, 2021
- Quantum computers could read all your encrypted data. This 'quantum-safe' VPN aims to stop that - ZDNet - August 30th, 2021
- Sumitomo Corporation Quantum Transformation (QX) Project Announces Its Vision and Activities at the IEEE Quantum AI Sustainability Symposium -... - August 30th, 2021
- Life, the universe and everything Physics seeks the future - The Economist - August 30th, 2021
- This Exotic Particle Had an Out-of-Body Experience These Surprised Scientists Took a Picture of It - SciTechDaily - August 30th, 2021
- Deloitte's quantum computing leader on the technology's healthcare future - Healthcare IT News - August 24th, 2021
- Experiments Prove Quantum Computing Errors Correlated, Tied to Cosmic Rays - SciTechDaily - August 24th, 2021
- Urgent Warning Issued Over The Future Of Bitcoin Even As The Crypto Market Price Smashes Past $2 Trillion - Forbes - August 24th, 2021
- Sumitomo Corporation Quantum Transformation (QX) Project Announces Its Vision and Activities at the IEEE Quantum AI Sustainability Symposium - Yahoo... - August 24th, 2021
- Energy Department Sets $61M of Funding to Advance QIS Research - MeriTalk - August 24th, 2021
- Quantum Takes the Scenic Route in Automotive - The Next Platform - August 14th, 2021
- Quantum computing: How BMW is getting ready for the next technology revolution - ZDNet - August 10th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Tech is Amazing. But What Does Business Think? - DesignNews - August 10th, 2021
- AWS leverages Singapore scientists to overcome the hurdles facing quantum computing The Register - Illinoisnewstoday.com - August 10th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Market 2021 with Top Countries Data Analysis by Industry Trends, Size, Share and Company Overview - Digital Journal - August 10th, 2021
- 'Magic Angle' Graphene and How it Could be a Magnet-Proof Superconducter - AZoM - August 10th, 2021
- Healthcare technology development is being accelerated by the COVID-19 pandemic - Healthcare Finance News - August 10th, 2021
- From theory to reality: Google claims to created physics-defying 'time crystal' inside its quantum computer - Silicon Canals - August 6th, 2021
- Google says it has created a time crystal in a quantum computer, and it's weirder than you can imagine - ZDNet - August 6th, 2021
- T-Hub, HCL to collaborate on Quantum Computing and Deep Tech. - The Hindu - August 6th, 2021
- Google announces that it may have created a "time crystal" that breaks physics - Texasnewstoday.com - August 6th, 2021
- Why it's time to wake up to the quantum threat - Finextra - Finextra - Finextra - August 6th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Market 2021-2025Top Trends, Business Opportunity, and Growth Strategy The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - August 6th, 2021
- Superconductivity Research: Researchers Develop New Material that Enables Quantum Information-Based Technology - Science Times - August 6th, 2021
- AI, quantum computing and other technologies poised to transform healthcare - Healthcare Finance News - August 5th, 2021
- Data Analytica Just Released Their New Quantum Computing Simulation Software - PR.com - August 5th, 2021
- Q-CTRL, University of Sydney Devise Machine Learning Technique Used to Pinpoint Quantum Errors - HPCwire - August 5th, 2021
- Q-CTRL: machine learning technique to pinpoint quantum errors - News - The University of Sydney - August 5th, 2021
- U.S. DoE sends another $ 73 million into the future of Quantum - Illinoisnewstoday.com - August 5th, 2021
- Harvard-led physicists have taken a major step in the competition with quantum computing - Illinoisnewstoday.com - July 18th, 2021
- Startup hopes the world is ready to buy quantum processors - Ars Technica - July 16th, 2021
- Covid isolation hits auto, Tom Tom's Virtual Horizon, BMW/Amazon quantum computing - the week - just-auto.com - July 16th, 2021
- Rigetti Computing Partners with Riverlane, Astex Pharmaceuticals to Advance Quantum Computing for Drug Discovery - Yahoo Finance - July 16th, 2021
- Quantum computing: This new 100-qubit processor is built with atoms cooled down near to absolute zero - ZDNet - July 10th, 2021
- This quantum computer with a 3D chip is heading into the cloud - ZDNet - July 10th, 2021
- French researchers on the verge of quantum computing milestone - RFI English - July 10th, 2021
- IBM partners with UK on $ 300 million quantum computing research initiative - Illinoisnewstoday.com - July 10th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Software Market worth $0.43 billion by 2026 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - July 10th, 2021
- African Education Minister Has Big Hi-Tech Dreams And Makes Music Videos Too : Goats and Soda - NPR - July 10th, 2021
- Why industry supports the government's $110 billion bet on technology R&D - Federal News Network - July 10th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Breakthrough: Unveiling Properties of New Superconductor - Analytics Insight - July 2nd, 2021
- The only answer to the quantum cybersecurity threat is quantum - Sifted - July 2nd, 2021
- Quantum computers are already detangling natures mysteries - Wired.co.uk - June 18th, 2021
- What Are the Quantum Computing Threats to Security? - Design and Reuse - Design and Reuse - June 18th, 2021
- Cutting-edge research into quantum computing: BMW Group and Technical University of Munich agree to create an endowed chair in Quantum Algorithms and... - June 18th, 2021
- Is quantum computing about to change the world? - BroadbandDeals - June 18th, 2021
- Clearing the way toward robust quantum computing - MIT News - June 16th, 2021
- Heres How Quantum Computers Will Really Affect Cryptocurrencies - Forbes - June 16th, 2021
- New quantum computing company will set the pace - Cambridge Network - June 16th, 2021
- Honeywell joins hands with Cambridge Quantum Computing to form a new company - The Hindu - June 16th, 2021
- NSWCDD Focuses on Quantum Computing with its First-Ever Hackathon - Naval Sea Systems Command - June 16th, 2021
- Trinity College teams up with Microsoft on quantum computing programme - The Irish Times - June 16th, 2021
- Honeywell Quantum, Cambridge Quantum Computing form joint venture - Reuters - June 8th, 2021
- With cyberattacks on the rise, organizations are already bracing for devastating quantum hacks - CNBC - June 8th, 2021
- Swedish university is behind quantum computing breakthrough - ComputerWeekly.com - June 8th, 2021
- Global Quantum Computing Market to Gain $667.3 Million and Surge at a CAGR of 30.0% from 2020-2027 Timeframe - Exclusive [193 pages] COVID-19 Impact... - June 8th, 2021
- The 'second quantum revolution' is almost here. We need to make sure it benefits the many, not the few - The Conversation AU - June 8th, 2021
- UK govt and IBM together to build 210M AI & quantum computing centre in Daresbury - UKTN (UK Technology News - June 8th, 2021
- Archer Materials "one of the front-runners" in the quantum computing economy - Proactive Investors Australia - June 8th, 2021
- Quantum Computing & Technologies Market Share at a CAGR of 32.5 %, Trends, Growth, Sales, Demand, Revenue, Size, Forecast and COVID-19 Impacts... - June 8th, 2021
- Bristol startup scores 3.1M to control next-gen quantum hacks threatening the future of internet - UKTN (UK Technology News - June 8th, 2021
- How Will Federal Investment in Quantum Affect Local Gov? - Governing - June 8th, 2021
- STFC and IBM sign 210m AI and quantum computing deal - BusinessCloud - June 8th, 2021
- $100 Million to Advance Duke Science and Technology Research - Duke Today - June 8th, 2021