The term artificial intelligence was coined in 1956, but AI has become more popular today thanks to increased data volumes, advanced algorithms, and improvements in computing power and storage.
Early AI research in the 1950s explored topics like problem solving and symbolic methods. In the 1960s, the US Department of Defense took interest in this type of work and began training computers to mimic basic human reasoning. For example, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) completed street mapping projects in the 1970s. And DARPA produced intelligent personal assistants in 2003, long before Siri, Alexa or Cortana were household names.
This early work paved the way for the automation and formal reasoning that we see in computers today, including decision support systems and smart search systems that can be designed to complement and augment human abilities.
While Hollywood movies and science fiction novels depict AI as human-like robots that take over the world, the current evolution of AI technologies isnt that scary or quite that smart. Instead, AI has evolved to provide many specific benefits in every industry. Keep reading for modern examples of artificial intelligence in health care, retail and more.
Why is artificial intelligence important?
Go here to see the original:
- 4 Reasons to Use Artificial Intelligence in Your Next Embedded Design - DesignNews - November 18th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Essay - 966 Words | Bartleby - November 18th, 2019
- AI News: Track The Latest Artificial Intelligence Trends And ... - November 18th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence has become a driving force in everyday life, says LivePerson CEO - CNBC - November 18th, 2019
- Elon Musk's AI warning: Artificial Intelligence is a 'potential danger to the public' - Express.co.uk - November 18th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Will Enable the Future, Blockchain Will Secure It - Cointelegraph - November 18th, 2019
- Indiana University Touts Big Red 200 and Artificial Intelligence at SC19 - HPCwire - November 18th, 2019
- One way for the Pentagon to prove it's serious about artificial intelligence - C4ISRNet - November 18th, 2019
- UofL partners with industry experts to launch Artificial Intelligence Innovation Consortium Lane Report | Kentucky Business & Economic News - The... - November 18th, 2019
- China Sees Surge of Edtech Investments With Focus on Artificial Intelligence - Karma - November 18th, 2019
- NIST researchers use artificial intelligence for quality control of stem cell-derived tissues - National Institutes of Health - November 18th, 2019
- Two-thirds of employees would trust a robot boss more than a real one - World Economic Forum - November 18th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence has been flourishing incredibly in these 5 Southeast Asia technology hubs - e27 - November 18th, 2019
- Will Artificial Intelligence Help Resolve the Food Crisis? - Inter Press Service - November 18th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare: the future is amazing ... - October 15th, 2019
- 10 Best Artificial Intelligence Course & Certification [2019 ... - October 15th, 2019
- A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - IMDb - October 5th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence | GE Research - September 18th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence & the Pharma Industry: What's Next ... - September 18th, 2019
- What's the Difference Between Robotics and Artificial ... - September 18th, 2019
- The Impact of Artificial Intelligence - Widespread Job Losses - September 18th, 2019
- 9 Powerful Examples of Artificial Intelligence in Use ... - September 18th, 2019
- What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)? ... - Techopedia - September 13th, 2019
- What is AI (artificial intelligence)? - Definition from ... - September 11th, 2019
- Benefits & Risks of Artificial Intelligence - Future of ... - September 5th, 2019
- artificial intelligence | Definition, Examples, and ... - September 5th, 2019
- What is Artificial Intelligence? How Does AI Work? | Built In - September 5th, 2019