Can machines think? Alan Turing, 1950
Less than a decade after breaking the Nazi encryption machine Enigma and helping the Allied Forces win World War II, mathematician Alan Turing changed history a second time with a simple question: "Can machines think?"
Turing's paper "Computing Machinery and Intelligence" (1950), and it's subsequent Turing Test, established the fundamental goal and vision of artificial intelligence.
At it's core, AI is the branch of computer science that aims to answer Turing's question in the affirmative. It is the endeavor to replicate or simulate human intelligence in machines.
The expansive goal of artificial intelligence has given rise to manyquestions and debates. So much so, that no singular definition of the field is universally accepted.
The major limitation in defining AI as simply "building machines that are intelligent" is that it doesn't actually explain what artificial intelligence is? What makes a machine intelligent?
In their groundbreaking textbook Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach, authors Stuart Russell and Peter Norvig approach the question by unifying their work around the theme of intelligent agents in machines. With this in mind, AI is "the study of agents that receive percepts from the environment and perform actions." (Russel and Norvig viii)
Norvig and Russell go on to explore four different approaches that have historically defined the field of AI:
The first two ideas concern thought processes and reasoning, while the others deal with behavior. Norvig and Russell focus particularly on rational agents that act to achieve the best outcome, noting "all the skills needed for the Turing Test also allow an agent to act rationally." (Russel and Norvig 4).
Patrick Winston, the Ford professor of artificial intelligence and computer science at MIT, defines AI as "algorithms enabled by constraints, exposed by representations that support models targeted at loops that tie thinking, perception and action together."
While these definitions may seem abstract to the average person, they help focus the field as an area of computer science and provide a blueprint for infusing machines and programs with machine learning and other subsets of artificial intelligence.
While addressing a crowd at the Japan AI Experience in 2017, DataRobot CEO Jeremy Achin began his speech by offering the following definition of how AI is used today:
"AI is a computer system able to perform tasks that ordinarily require human intelligence... Many of these artificial intelligence systems are powered by machine learning, some of them are powered by deep learning and some of them are powered by very boring things like rules."
Here is the original post:
- 4 Reasons to Use Artificial Intelligence in Your Next Embedded Design - DesignNews - November 18th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Essay - 966 Words | Bartleby - November 18th, 2019
- AI News: Track The Latest Artificial Intelligence Trends And ... - November 18th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence has become a driving force in everyday life, says LivePerson CEO - CNBC - November 18th, 2019
- Elon Musk's AI warning: Artificial Intelligence is a 'potential danger to the public' - Express.co.uk - November 18th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Will Enable the Future, Blockchain Will Secure It - Cointelegraph - November 18th, 2019
- Indiana University Touts Big Red 200 and Artificial Intelligence at SC19 - HPCwire - November 18th, 2019
- One way for the Pentagon to prove it's serious about artificial intelligence - C4ISRNet - November 18th, 2019
- UofL partners with industry experts to launch Artificial Intelligence Innovation Consortium Lane Report | Kentucky Business & Economic News - The... - November 18th, 2019
- China Sees Surge of Edtech Investments With Focus on Artificial Intelligence - Karma - November 18th, 2019
- NIST researchers use artificial intelligence for quality control of stem cell-derived tissues - National Institutes of Health - November 18th, 2019
- Two-thirds of employees would trust a robot boss more than a real one - World Economic Forum - November 18th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence has been flourishing incredibly in these 5 Southeast Asia technology hubs - e27 - November 18th, 2019
- Will Artificial Intelligence Help Resolve the Food Crisis? - Inter Press Service - November 18th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare: the future is amazing ... - October 15th, 2019
- 10 Best Artificial Intelligence Course & Certification [2019 ... - October 15th, 2019
- A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - IMDb - October 5th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence | GE Research - September 18th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence & the Pharma Industry: What's Next ... - September 18th, 2019
- What's the Difference Between Robotics and Artificial ... - September 18th, 2019
- The Impact of Artificial Intelligence - Widespread Job Losses - September 18th, 2019
- 9 Powerful Examples of Artificial Intelligence in Use ... - September 18th, 2019
- What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)? ... - Techopedia - September 13th, 2019
- What is AI (artificial intelligence)? - Definition from ... - September 11th, 2019
- Benefits & Risks of Artificial Intelligence - Future of ... - September 5th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence What it is and why it matters | SAS - September 5th, 2019
- artificial intelligence | Definition, Examples, and ... - September 5th, 2019