Sept. 5 Cloud computing lies behind many of todays most popular technologies, from streaming video and music to e-mail and chat services to storing and sharing family photos. Since 2015, theChameleontestbed has helped researchers push the potential of cloud computing even further, finding novel scientific applications and improving security and privacy.
A new grant from the National Science Foundation will extend Chameleons mission for another three years, allowing the project led by University of Chicago with partners at theTexas Advanced Computing Center(TACC), Renaissance Computing Institute (RENCI), and Northwestern University to enter its next phase of cloud computing innovation. Upgrades to hardware and services as well as new features will help scientists rigorously test new cloud computing platforms and networking protocols.
The $10 million renewal will be officially announced at the inauguralChameleon User Meeting, taking place September 13-14 at Argonne National Laboratory.
In phase one we built a testbed, but in phase two were going to transform this testbed into a scientific instrument, saidKate Keahey, Argonne computer scientist, Computation Institute fellow, and Chameleon project PI. Were going to extend the capabilities that allow users to keep a record of their experiments in Chameleon and provide new services that allow them to build more repeatable experiments.
The new features build upon the projects original philosophies of flexibility and transparency, which provided users with a large-scale, ~600-node cloud infrastructure with bare metal reconfiguration privileges. This unique level of access allows researchers to go beyond limited development on existing commercial or scientific clouds, offering a customizable platform to create and test entirely new cloud computing architectures.
In its first phase, this powerful resource supported advanced work in computer science areas such as cybersecurity, OS design and power management. With Chameleon, scientists could realisticallysimulate cyberattacksupon cloud computing systems to improve their defenses, train students tosearch high-resolution telescope imagesfor undiscovered exoplanets, and develop machine learning algorithms that automatically determinethe most energy-efficient task assignment schemesfor large data centers.
Many of these projects benefited from Chameleon features that allow them to extract detailed, precise data about system performance and status during usage. To further support the conduct of reproducible science, the Chameleon team will make it even easier for scientists to gather and use this information.
Everything in the testbed is a recorded event, but right now the information about those events is in various different places, Keahey said. Were going to make it very easy for users to have a record of everything that was happening on the testbed resources that they used, and well also provide services to replay those experiments.
Additional phase two landmarks include new hardware, including additional racks at UChicago and TACC, infusion of highly-contested resources such as GPUs, and Corsa network switches. The new Corsa switches enable experimentation with software-defined networking (SDN) within a Chameleon site as well as extending individual SDN experiments across the wide-area to include resources from either Chameleon site or even from other compatible testbeds, such as NSF GENI.
New hardware will be complemented by new capabilities allowing users to define entirely new classes of experiments. For the second phase, new team members from RENCI with significant expertise developing such capabilities will join the existing Chameleon team based at UChicago, TACC, and Northwestern University.
On the software side, the Chameleon team will package CHI (CHameleon Infrastructure), the software operating Chameleon, based primarily on the open-sourceOpenStackproject to which the University of Chicago team made substantial contributions. Packaging the Chameleon operational model will allow others to create their own experimental clouds easily.
Whether somebody wants to provide a Chameleon resource or create their own experimental testbed, CHI will make it very easy for them Keahey said. It is based on a widely used open source system that is increasingly popular in scientific data centers and thus easy to adopt. Ultimately, we would like to make testbeds for Computer Science research cost-effective to operate.
The project will also look to expand their community through outreach events, including workshops, online tutorials, and Septembers user meeting. In addition to training scientists in the use of Chameleon and gathering feedback for future improvements, these events will also be an opportunity for defining the future of cloud computing science, Keahey said.
We would like to go beyond simply providing resources, and give the community the opportunity to focus on experimental methodology in computer science: how to improve it, how to control it, and how to make experimental computer science less about logistics and more about the science.
Source: Computation Institute & The University of Chicago
See the original post:
Cloud Computing Testbed Chameleon Renewed for Second Phase - HPCwire
- Amazon claims President Trump pressured DoD to award Microsoft cloud computing contract - CBS News - December 10th, 2019
- Cloud computing surges in the UAE in 2019 - ComputerWeekly.com - December 10th, 2019
- How to become a computing expert in software, web and cloud - Study International News - December 10th, 2019
- IDC picks Trend Micro as the top vendor in SDC workload protection - Cloud Tech - December 10th, 2019
- Amazon, Google, Microsoft: Here's Who Has the Greenest Cloud - WIRED - December 10th, 2019
- Reduce Cloud Spend and avoid Cloud Shock - ITWeb - December 10th, 2019
- Cloud Computing in Healthcare Market 2019 Size, Share, Technological Innovations & Growth Forecast To 2025 - The Raleigh Recorder - December 10th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2024 - The Market Expedition - December 10th, 2019
- 99% of Indian companies set to adopt multiple Hybrid Cloud within 3 years - Tech Explorist - December 10th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Server Market Expected to Deliver Dynamic Progression until 2028| Intel, IBM, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsof - Exclusive Industry... - December 10th, 2019
- Healthcare Cloud Computing Market - Global Forecast to 2024 - Increasing Adoption of Big Data Analytics, Wearable Devices, and IoT in Healthcare -... - December 9th, 2019
- Intelligent Cloud: Transforming the Future of Computing - Analytics Insight - December 9th, 2019
- Partnership of the Year: A 4-year cloud degree pathway - Education Dive - December 9th, 2019
- Staying ahead in the cloud computing arena - New Straits Times - December 9th, 2019
- NFL and AWS Partner to Reduce Player Injuries - Morning Brew - December 9th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market 2019: Future Investment Initiatives, Growing with Technology Development, New Innovations, Competitive Analysis and Forecast... - December 9th, 2019
- Advantages of cloud computing in education - Optocrypto - December 8th, 2019
- Okta's CEO says it is poised to keep growing as identity management market expands - Business Insider - December 8th, 2019
- Cloud Wars: Why Amazon is escalating its battle against Microsoft in enterprise tech - GeekWire - December 8th, 2019
- Cloud Computing: Amazon AWS Graviton 2 at 7nm to combat Intel and AMD - Optocrypto - December 8th, 2019
- Digital enterprise transformation with SAP and Deloitte - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - December 8th, 2019
- 5 trends shaping the cloud in 2020 - TechRadar - December 8th, 2019
- Why Kubernetes Is the Future of Cloud Computing - Barron's - December 6th, 2019
- We Need to Talk About Cloud Sprawl - Computer Business Review - December 6th, 2019
- Cloud computing IaaS in Life Science Market Research, Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 - Statsflash - December 6th, 2019
- The New Paradoxes of the Cloud Computing World - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Andy Jassy's 12 Boldest Remarks On The Future Of Cloud Computing - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - December 5th, 2019
- How cloud computing can help your small business thrive - http://smallbusiness.co.uk - December 5th, 2019
- The importance of Cloud Computing for the Utility Industry - Doxee - December 5th, 2019
- Animal Logic promotes cloud computing as democratizing the future of animation - Mash Viral - December 5th, 2019
- Cloud Computing in Education Market: Competitive Landscape and Recent Industry Development Analysis 2017 - 2025 - Weekly Spy - December 5th, 2019
- Breaking Down Amazon's Storage-Related AWS News Announcements - ITPro Today - December 5th, 2019
- Why cloud computing is requiring us to rethink resiliency at the Edge - IT PRO - December 5th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market Poised for Steady Growth in the Future 2019 - 2028 - Weekly Spy - December 5th, 2019
- AWS and Verizon partner on 5G edge cloud computing - Data Economy - December 5th, 2019
- Cloud now the destination for finance, says survey - www.computing.co.uk - December 5th, 2019
- How The Parts Add Up: The First Trust Cloud Computing ETF Headed For $68 - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- What's Happening at the Cloud Insight Jam on December 19th? - Solutions Review - December 2nd, 2019
- Amazon Just Joined The Race To Dominate Quantum Computing In The Cloud - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market in Healthcare Research and Development Key Players, Industry Overview and Forecast Analysis - Montana Ledger - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud-software stocks weather harsh start to December amid tech-spending concerns - MarketWatch - December 2nd, 2019
- Technology Leader of the Year: Enabling the Digital Transformation - IndustryWeek - December 2nd, 2019
- Data in the Cloud is Much More at Risk Than Enterprises May Think - CISO MAG - December 2nd, 2019
- Global Cloud Computing Market Competitive Analysis 2019 By Top Companies Strategies Till 2028 - Sound On Sound Fest - December 2nd, 2019
- Think of data as the new uranium rather than the new oil and treat it like it's toxic - Cloud Tech - December 2nd, 2019
- Is Crowd Computing the Next Big Thing? - EE Journal - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market revenue in Europe to exceed USD 75 Bn by 2026: Global Market Insights, Inc. - GlobeNewswire - November 30th, 2019
- IT solutions found in the cloud - AZ Big Media - November 30th, 2019
- Alibaba wants its cloud computing to help power the future - Abacus - November 30th, 2019
- McAfee notes the gap between cloud-first and cloud-only yet optimism reigns on success - Cloud Tech - November 30th, 2019
- Why glass might be the future of data storage - Financial Times - November 30th, 2019
- The best Software as a Service (SaaS) companies of the 2010s decade - TechRepublic - November 30th, 2019
- Microsoft, not Amazon, is going to win the cloud wars - IT PRO - November 30th, 2019
- Infarm plants its blend of vertical farming and cloud computing in QFC grocery stores - GeekWire - November 30th, 2019
- What to expect from AWS Re:Invent 2019 - IT PRO - November 30th, 2019
- Microsoft and AT&T expand upon partnership to deliver Azure services on 5G core - Cloud Tech - November 26th, 2019
- AI, Cloud Computing and IoT: How digitalisation is driving dramatic IT changes in healthcare - Techerati - November 26th, 2019
- The Impact of Cloud Computing on the Insurance Industry - Doxee - November 26th, 2019
- Its in the Cloud, So it Secure . . . Maybe! - Security Boulevard - November 26th, 2019
- Study shows continued cloud maturation in Nordics with manufacturing a standout - Cloud Tech - November 26th, 2019
- As Per New Report on Hybrid Cloud Computing Market Will Touch a New Level in Upcoming Years | Microsoft Corporation, Cisco Systems, and Amazon Web... - November 26th, 2019
- Infarm plants its blend of vertical farming and cloud computing in QFC grocery stores - Yahoo Tech - November 26th, 2019
- 'Guess What, There's A Cost For That': Getting Cloud & AI Right - Breaking Defense - November 26th, 2019
- AWS re:Invent 2019 - Predictions And A Wishlist - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- Review: How NeuVector protects containers throughout their lifecycle - CSO Online - November 26th, 2019
- VMware Reports Earnings Today. Heres What to Expect. - Barron's - November 26th, 2019
- HiveIO Top 5 IT Predictions For 2020 - RTInsights - November 26th, 2019
- Adoption of Cloud-Native Architecture, Part 1: Architecture Evolution and Maturity - InfoQ.com - November 26th, 2019
- Cloud, AI, and personalisation: Key issues to consider - www.computing.co.uk - November 26th, 2019
- Global Medical Device Security Solutions Market 2020-2024 | Increasing Demand for Cloud-Based Solutions to Boost the Market Growth | Technavio -... - November 26th, 2019
- Cloud computing IaaS in Life Science Market Global Industry Demand, Scope and Strategic Outlook,Growth Analysis,Business Opportunities and Future... - November 26th, 2019
- How much cloud does an IT disaster recovery plan need? - TechTarget - November 26th, 2019
- Cyber and the cloud: Overcoming the key security challenges amid multi-cloud rise - Cloud Tech - November 24th, 2019
- Global Healthcare Cloud Computing Market 2018-2022 | Introduction of Blockchain in Cloud Computing to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - November 24th, 2019
- Alibaba Is Taking the Cloud Battle to Amazon - Investopedia - November 24th, 2019
- Video Streaming Platforms And The Benefits Of Cloud - Forbes - November 24th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market Expected to Grow at 623.3 Billion In Revenue by 2023 - Hitz Dairies - November 24th, 2019
- Amazon reportedly restricted partners at its New York conference from mentioning competitors like Microsoft and Google - Business Insider - November 24th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market Segmentation and Analysis by Recent Trends, Development and Growth by Regions to 2024 - Eastlake Times - November 24th, 2019
- Cloud computing | computer science | Britannica - November 20th, 2019