European organisations have mirrored the global spending trend, with record levels invested in IT outsourcingdriven by cloud service investments.
In Europe, the value of contracts signed during the third quarter of this year reached a record 4.7bn, 36% higher than the same quarter last year and 4% higher than the previous quarter this year.
The increase was driven by heavy spending on cloud services, which totalled 2.4bn, 59% higher than last year. In Europe, infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) and software-as-a-service (SaaS) deals were both up 59%, to records of 1.75bn and 677m respectively.
Demand for IaaS and SaaS solutions remains robust as European companies pick up the pace in their adoption of cloud-based technologies and services, said Steve Hall, partner and president of ISG EMEA. The region has been slower than others to move to the cloud due to privacy and security concerns, but that appears to be abating as companies accelerate their digital transformations.
ISG, which measures contracts with a value of 3.6m or more, last week published record global spending figures with $21.8bn spent on IT and IT-enabled business services during the past quarter, with cloud computing accounting for $13.4bn of this. Itexpects global cloud-based IaaS and SaaS contracts to be worth 25% more in 2021 overall, compared with 2020, and expects firm-managed services contract values to increase by just over 10% during the same period.
While the value of traditional IT outsourcing contracts in Europe, including IT outsourcing and BPO, increased 19% to 2.3bn of total spend, UK organisations invested 61% less on them during the third quarter, with a total of 296m spent, making this its weakest since the third quarter 2002.
ISG said that despite the drop in the latest quarter, the first half of the year was robust, and the fourth quarter is expected to see the UK back in line with previous years. The UK had a weak third quarter compared with the past several years, but the first six months were very robust and there remains a strong pipeline of deals. Infrastructure spend in the UK was down significantly, but cloud spend was up, said Hall. Traditional datacentre and ITO deals remain weak in the UK market as organisations continue to shift spend to cloud hyperscalers.
But the UK IT services sector still faces challenges, with spending expected to remain flat in the financial services sector in 2021/22 compared with 2019, with a 23% drop in spending in the energy sector, a 9% reduction in the travel, transport and leisure segment, and a 1% fall in Telecoms and Media predicted.
There will, however, be a 17% rise in the amount manufacturers spend on IT services, with the business services and retail sectors increasing spending by 7%.
The DACH region, which includes Germany, also recorded a decline in spending on these services, with an 8% drop to 379m, but France saw a 201% increase with a total of 552m spent.
Hall put this down to a traditionally slow quarter due to the holiday season and its impact on deal flow. Volume is in-line when normalised for seasonality, so we dont see a long-term trend or broader concern with the DACH market, he said.
On traditional IT services in Europe, Hall said: Deal flow remains active, but we saw a number of them move to later stages in financial services, and we continue to see weakness in the manufacturing sector, as the economic recovery in Europe remains choppy.
- re:Invent recap: Amazon showcases cloud computing innovation - VentureBeat - December 3rd, 2021
- Cloud computing is changing everything about IT skills. Here's what that means for your job - ZDNet - December 3rd, 2021
- What is 'The Cloud' and How Does it Pervade Our Lives? - Scientific American - December 3rd, 2021
- Cyber Security Today, Dec. 1, 2021 - The FBI seizes alleged ransomware gang member's funds, a cloud computing security report from Google and more -... - December 3rd, 2021
- How are Organizations Doing with Cloud? - InformationWeek - December 3rd, 2021
- Amazon Way Behind Microsoft, Salesforce, and Oracle in Cloud Software - Business Insider - December 3rd, 2021
- Sidero CTO: Why multi-cloud strategies are on the rise - Siliconrepublic.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Everyone's been talking about AWS, and Google Cloud is jealous - Techradar - December 3rd, 2021
- Industrial Cyber Security Market: High Investment in Infrastructure as a Service and Cloud Computing Tools to Augment Growth During Coronavirus -... - December 3rd, 2021
- Cloud Security Alliance Issues Guidance to Help Organizations Optimize Business Outcomes When Using Cloud-native Key Management Services with External... - December 3rd, 2021
- Running business on Cloud - The Hindu - December 3rd, 2021
- EMBL-EBI Selects Google Cloud as Strategic Partner to Accelerate the Pace of Research - PRNewswire - December 3rd, 2021
- Varcoe: Amazon 'bet the right way' choosing Calgary for new data hub and tech training - Calgary Herald - December 3rd, 2021
- Joint Cloud Computing: How Can Organizations Benefit From This New Trend? - Toolbox - November 28th, 2021
- AI and Machine Learning, Cloud Computing, and 5G Will Dominate in 2022 - IBL News - November 28th, 2021
- EU companies issue formal complaint against Microsoft OneDrive Windows integration - ZDNet - November 28th, 2021
- One of the world's largest supercomputers lived for only 10 minutes - TechRadar - November 28th, 2021
- 3 Reasons to Buy Ankr - Motley Fool - November 28th, 2021
- Tencent and Green Packet firm up cloud deal - The Star Online - November 28th, 2021
- Attackers are using AWS instances to launch attacks on WordPress sites - Techradar - November 28th, 2021
- Atos and OVHcloud strengthen their partnership by leveraging Atos OneCloud Sovereign Shield - GlobeNewswire - November 28th, 2021
- Microsoft Partners With the Global Manufacturing and Industrialisation Summit To Fast-track Digital Manufacturing Through Cloud Computing - Al-Bawaba - November 28th, 2021
- Global Micro Server IC Market to Reach $6.1 Billion by 2027 - Yahoo Finance - November 28th, 2021
- Smart Cloud: What role will AI play in the evolution of cloud technology? - Global Banking And Finance Review - November 28th, 2021
- AVM Cloud VMware collaboration: Committed to customers' end-to-end cloud journeys - Malaysiakini - November 28th, 2021
- Cerebras Systems and G42 to Partner to Bring High-Performance AI Compute to the Middle East - Financial Post - November 28th, 2021
- What is Cloud Computing? | Oracle - November 24th, 2021
- The Top 10 Hottest Cloud Computing Startup Companies Of 2021 - CRN - November 24th, 2021
- An Overview of Cloud Computing Technology in the Era of Digital Transformation - Analytics Insight - November 24th, 2021
- What Is Edge Computing? Why It's Important and How It Works | eWEEK - eWeek - November 24th, 2021
- LPU Launches BTech in CSE Cloud Computing in Collaboration with Google Cloud - News18 - November 24th, 2021
- Internet of Things (IoT) Cloud Trends 2021 - Datamation - November 24th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Cloud Computing, and 5G Will Be the Most Important Technologies in 2022, Says New IEEE Study - Dark... - November 24th, 2021
- How SOAR Helps to Hold Up Your Part of the Cloud Security Shared Responsibility Model - Security Boulevard - November 24th, 2021
- Global Virtualization Security Market Expected to Generate a Revenue of $6,986.3 Million, Growing at a Healthy CAGR of 13.6% During the Forecast... - November 24th, 2021
- Cohere partners with Google Cloud to train large language models using dedicated hardware - VentureBeat - November 24th, 2021
- 5 Ways to Improve Data Management in the Cloud - ITPro Today - November 24th, 2021
- Scalable Modular Data Centers and the Race to ROI - Data Center Frontier - November 24th, 2021
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: Nordstrom, Gap, VMware, HP and more - CNBC - November 24th, 2021
- Why Dream11 wants to float in the cloud - ETCIO.com - November 24th, 2021
- Beginners Guide to Cloud Computing - An Introduction ... - November 11th, 2021
- 12 Risks, Threats, & Vulnerabilities in Moving to the Cloud - November 11th, 2021
- What is Cloud Computing? | Oracle South Africa - November 11th, 2021
- Cloud Computing in Automotive Market : Qualitative And Quantitative Research Incorporating Impact Of Economic And Non-Economic Aspects | Intellias... - November 11th, 2021
- Should You Invest in the First Trust Cloud Computing ETF (SKYY)? - Yahoo Finance - November 11th, 2021
- The 3 biggest challenges of SASE in hybrid cloud environments - CSO Online - November 11th, 2021
- Microsoft to further expand cloud services in China - Chinadaily USA - November 11th, 2021
- Global Cloud Computing for Business Operations Market 2021 Supply Chain Analysis, Structure, Industry Inspection, and Forecast 2026 - Energy Siren - November 11th, 2021
- Global Cloud Computing for Business Operations Market Assessment 2021-2028| Industry Size, Share and Top Key Players: Amazon Web Services, Microsoft... - November 11th, 2021
- Cloud Computing Optical Component Market 2021: Applications, Market Assessments, Key Players Analysis, Trends, And Forecasts To 2027 - Energy Siren - November 11th, 2021
- Why a Wider Net is Now Needed to Find the Right Software Engineer - Entrepreneur - November 11th, 2021
- VMware salaries revealed: How much the cloud computing firm is paying engineers, managers, and salespeople as it navigates a future without Dell -... - November 11th, 2021
- IIT Jodhpur along with WileyNXT invites applications for its first-ever online PG Diploma with academic credits in Data Engineering and Cloud... - November 11th, 2021
- Cloud computing | Shaping Europes digital future - November 6th, 2021
- NIST Cloud Computing Program - NCCP | NIST - November 6th, 2021
- Home | Federal Cloud Computing Strategy - November 6th, 2021
- Cloud Computing Security | Trend Micro - November 6th, 2021
- The global cloud computing market size is expected to grow from USD 445.3 billion in 2021 to USD 947.3 billion by 2026, at a Compound Annual Growth... - November 6th, 2021
- Spotlight on FINRA's latest report on cloud computing in the US securities industry - Lexology - November 6th, 2021
- Microsoft rolls out new tech to connect its cloud to rivals - Yahoo Finance - November 6th, 2021
- Chicago on a Revenue Roll From Cloud and Netflix Taxes (1) - Bloomberg Tax - November 6th, 2021
- Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Projected To Represent Strong Growth, Expanded Technology By 2021 To 2030 | Scoop News - Scoop - November 6th, 2021
- Riding the wave of edge computing growth - ITProPortal - November 6th, 2021
- Creatio Partners with Whale Cloud to Accelerate Digital Transformation for Telcos - PRNewswire - November 6th, 2021
- What is Cloud Computing? | Oracle India - November 3rd, 2021
- Cloud Computing Architecture - javatpoint - November 3rd, 2021
- 10 Future Cloud Computing Trends To Watch In 2021 - November 3rd, 2021
- Filings buzz in the power industry: 18% increase in cloud computing mentions in Q2 of 2021 - Power Technology - November 3rd, 2021
- Cloud computing spending is at a record high. But the global chip shortage could create some problems ahead - ZDNet - November 3rd, 2021
- How to go hybrid: The right recipe for mixing on-prem and cloud computing - VentureBeat - November 3rd, 2021
- Microsoft rolls out new tech to connect its cloud to rivals - Reuters - November 3rd, 2021
- Cloud computing grows but agencies lacking resources, auditor general hears - The Mandarin - November 3rd, 2021
- Why cloud bugs don't get CVEs, and why it's an issue - TechTarget - November 3rd, 2021
- Top Hybrid Cloud Computing Companies to Watch in 2021 - Analytics Insight - November 3rd, 2021
- We're still just scratching the surface of the cloud's potential - TechCrunch - November 3rd, 2021
- Beginner computer classes online: What can you take, and where? - ZDNet - November 3rd, 2021
- Microsoft Rides Cloud Computing Boost to Nearly Overtake Apple as Most Valuable Company | Technology News - Gadgets 360 - November 3rd, 2021
- Secrets to success with cybersecurity hiring and retention - Healthcare IT News - November 3rd, 2021
- Ekinops acquires SixSq and steps up its presence in Edge Computing - PRNewswire - November 3rd, 2021
- Alibaba launches new server chip to boost its cloud business in challenge to Amazon and Microsoft - CNBC - October 24th, 2021