Containers in cloud computing simplify and accelerate application deployment, but the ease with which users spin...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
them up can result in overuse. When this happens in the public cloud, container sprawl can drive up costs alarmingly.
Fortunately, container sprawl is manageable, but enterprises need to take control early and fight to keep it. And above all, remember that not all container sprawl management practices will address cloud costs.
VMs were the first popular virtualization strategy, but it was clear that companies could take virtualization too far, complicating both host management and application deployment.
Containers in cloud computing, and in the data center, offer a way to create virtual hosts that share an OS and some middleware on a physical server. This enables organizations to deploy more containers per server than they could with VMs. This also means, however, that the number of hosts in a data center can multiply even more and, because container systems are easier to deploy, organizations don't encounter management complexity as quickly as they do with VMs.
In the public cloud, container sprawl management is a challenge, but cost can be a bigger one. If containers in cloud computing proliferate, provider charges can increase drastically. And even worse, most recommended steps to overcome container sprawl are intended to reduce management complexity, with little impact on cloud cost.
If you want to control public cloud charges for containerized applications, reduce the number of container hosts you deploy. Evaluate these three options to accomplish that -- and to save money.
Many container users overcomponentize, which means they break up applications into loadable images that are smaller than needed. Don't separate components if you're not going to reuse them differently. Ideally, combined components should be adjacent in workflows, because that will shorten data paths and improve performance. Fewer application components also mean less complicated operations and easier, cheaper management.
Review the components of any containerized applications in your data center that are targeted for public cloud deployment. To reduce hosting charges, ensure you have the minimal useful number of containers before you shift to the cloud.
The second option to reduce the costs of sprawl is to combine VMs and containers in the public cloud. To do this, host your container system, such as Docker, inside an infrastructure-as-a-service platform. If you use many public cloud containers via a container service, you will likely be charged per container. But if you host a VM in the cloud and then create your own container hosting image in it, you could end up with a lower overall charge per container. However, this isn't a guarantee, and there are still issues to address with this model.
For example, the addition of VMs between a container OS and bare metal will impact performance. Users report that, at best, you'll lose about 25% -- and as much as 40% -- of machine performance versus running containers in cloud computing directly. You'll need to see significant cost benefits to justify this approach and choose your applications carefully. If containers host application components that don't use many resources, such as I/O or CPU and memory, but have to stay resident most of the time, this VMs-and-container approach can work.
The third option is to replace some containerized components with serverless components. This addresses the problem of sprawl directly, because it lets users pay for the processes they actually use, rather than the hosting points they consume. The problem is that organizations often need to redesign applications or components to run in a serverless model.
With serverless computing, applications are divided into a series of simple components that are loaded and run when and where organizations need them. Just like the VM hosting of a container system works best when you have many containerized components with infrequent use, serverless computing is made for that kind of application. You can have thousands of application pieces on call, and if the call doesn't come, you pay nothing.
Before you adopt serverless computing, review the available frameworks from major cloud providers, such as Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform and Microsoft Azure. Serverless computing is more than just a different kind of programming; it's a whole new model of applications. You'll need to grasp the full context of it to take advantage.
Get to know important terms related to containers
Pick the right provider for containers as a service
Solve hybrid cloud challenges with container orchestration
- Why Kubernetes Is the Future of Cloud Computing - Barron's - December 6th, 2019
- We Need to Talk About Cloud Sprawl - Computer Business Review - December 6th, 2019
- Cloud computing IaaS in Life Science Market Research, Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 - Statsflash - December 6th, 2019
- The New Paradoxes of the Cloud Computing World - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Andy Jassy's 12 Boldest Remarks On The Future Of Cloud Computing - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - December 5th, 2019
- How cloud computing can help your small business thrive - http://smallbusiness.co.uk - December 5th, 2019
- The importance of Cloud Computing for the Utility Industry - Doxee - December 5th, 2019
- Animal Logic promotes cloud computing as democratizing the future of animation - Mash Viral - December 5th, 2019
- Cloud Computing in Education Market: Competitive Landscape and Recent Industry Development Analysis 2017 - 2025 - Weekly Spy - December 5th, 2019
- Breaking Down Amazon's Storage-Related AWS News Announcements - ITPro Today - December 5th, 2019
- Why cloud computing is requiring us to rethink resiliency at the Edge - IT PRO - December 5th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market Poised for Steady Growth in the Future 2019 - 2028 - Weekly Spy - December 5th, 2019
- AWS and Verizon partner on 5G edge cloud computing - Data Economy - December 5th, 2019
- Cloud now the destination for finance, says survey - www.computing.co.uk - December 5th, 2019
- How The Parts Add Up: The First Trust Cloud Computing ETF Headed For $68 - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- What's Happening at the Cloud Insight Jam on December 19th? - Solutions Review - December 2nd, 2019
- Amazon Just Joined The Race To Dominate Quantum Computing In The Cloud - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market in Healthcare Research and Development Key Players, Industry Overview and Forecast Analysis - Montana Ledger - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud-software stocks weather harsh start to December amid tech-spending concerns - MarketWatch - December 2nd, 2019
- Technology Leader of the Year: Enabling the Digital Transformation - IndustryWeek - December 2nd, 2019
- Data in the Cloud is Much More at Risk Than Enterprises May Think - CISO MAG - December 2nd, 2019
- Global Cloud Computing Market Competitive Analysis 2019 By Top Companies Strategies Till 2028 - Sound On Sound Fest - December 2nd, 2019
- Think of data as the new uranium rather than the new oil and treat it like it's toxic - Cloud Tech - December 2nd, 2019
- Is Crowd Computing the Next Big Thing? - EE Journal - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market revenue in Europe to exceed USD 75 Bn by 2026: Global Market Insights, Inc. - GlobeNewswire - November 30th, 2019
- IT solutions found in the cloud - AZ Big Media - November 30th, 2019
- Alibaba wants its cloud computing to help power the future - Abacus - November 30th, 2019
- McAfee notes the gap between cloud-first and cloud-only yet optimism reigns on success - Cloud Tech - November 30th, 2019
- Why glass might be the future of data storage - Financial Times - November 30th, 2019
- The best Software as a Service (SaaS) companies of the 2010s decade - TechRepublic - November 30th, 2019
- Microsoft, not Amazon, is going to win the cloud wars - IT PRO - November 30th, 2019
- Infarm plants its blend of vertical farming and cloud computing in QFC grocery stores - GeekWire - November 30th, 2019
- What to expect from AWS Re:Invent 2019 - IT PRO - November 30th, 2019
- Microsoft and AT&T expand upon partnership to deliver Azure services on 5G core - Cloud Tech - November 26th, 2019
- AI, Cloud Computing and IoT: How digitalisation is driving dramatic IT changes in healthcare - Techerati - November 26th, 2019
- The Impact of Cloud Computing on the Insurance Industry - Doxee - November 26th, 2019
- Its in the Cloud, So it Secure . . . Maybe! - Security Boulevard - November 26th, 2019
- Study shows continued cloud maturation in Nordics with manufacturing a standout - Cloud Tech - November 26th, 2019
- As Per New Report on Hybrid Cloud Computing Market Will Touch a New Level in Upcoming Years | Microsoft Corporation, Cisco Systems, and Amazon Web... - November 26th, 2019
- Infarm plants its blend of vertical farming and cloud computing in QFC grocery stores - Yahoo Tech - November 26th, 2019
- 'Guess What, There's A Cost For That': Getting Cloud & AI Right - Breaking Defense - November 26th, 2019
- AWS re:Invent 2019 - Predictions And A Wishlist - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- Review: How NeuVector protects containers throughout their lifecycle - CSO Online - November 26th, 2019
- VMware Reports Earnings Today. Heres What to Expect. - Barron's - November 26th, 2019
- HiveIO Top 5 IT Predictions For 2020 - RTInsights - November 26th, 2019
- Adoption of Cloud-Native Architecture, Part 1: Architecture Evolution and Maturity - InfoQ.com - November 26th, 2019
- Cloud, AI, and personalisation: Key issues to consider - www.computing.co.uk - November 26th, 2019
- Global Medical Device Security Solutions Market 2020-2024 | Increasing Demand for Cloud-Based Solutions to Boost the Market Growth | Technavio -... - November 26th, 2019
- Cloud computing IaaS in Life Science Market Global Industry Demand, Scope and Strategic Outlook,Growth Analysis,Business Opportunities and Future... - November 26th, 2019
- How much cloud does an IT disaster recovery plan need? - TechTarget - November 26th, 2019
- Cyber and the cloud: Overcoming the key security challenges amid multi-cloud rise - Cloud Tech - November 24th, 2019
- Global Healthcare Cloud Computing Market 2018-2022 | Introduction of Blockchain in Cloud Computing to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - November 24th, 2019
- Alibaba Is Taking the Cloud Battle to Amazon - Investopedia - November 24th, 2019
- Video Streaming Platforms And The Benefits Of Cloud - Forbes - November 24th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market Expected to Grow at 623.3 Billion In Revenue by 2023 - Hitz Dairies - November 24th, 2019
- Amazon reportedly restricted partners at its New York conference from mentioning competitors like Microsoft and Google - Business Insider - November 24th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market Segmentation and Analysis by Recent Trends, Development and Growth by Regions to 2024 - Eastlake Times - November 24th, 2019
- Cloud computing | computer science | Britannica - November 20th, 2019
- What Is Cloud Computing? How Does Cloud Computing Work ... - November 20th, 2019
- Top Cloud Computing ETFs - November 20th, 2019
- Cloud Computing: Where the Jobs Are - BlackEngineer.com - November 20th, 2019
- Ask the Expert: Cloud Computing in 2020 - Datamation - November 20th, 2019
- Gartner: Cloud computing revenues to jump in coming years - The Advocate - November 20th, 2019
- Nutanix Hires Former Nexenta CEO To Build 'Hybrid Cloud Powerhouse' - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 20th, 2019
- Across the enterprise: Tackle Industry 4.0 with edge, fog and cloud computing - CanadianManufacturing.com - November 20th, 2019
- Cloud Native Computing Foundation Announces 2019 Community Awards Winners - PRNewswire - November 20th, 2019
- ExtraHop Extends Cloud-Native Network Detection and Response with Google Cloud Platform Integration - Business Wire - November 20th, 2019
- Cloud Computing in Industrial IoT Market in-depth approaches behind the Success of Top Players like Cisco, GE, ChargePoint, Honeywell, Intel, IBM -... - November 18th, 2019
- Task force on artificial intelligence hearing: AI and the evolution of cloud computing - key testimony on the risks, challenges and opportunities -... - November 18th, 2019
- Cloud computing: SaaS, IaaS or PaaS - which is growing fastest? - ZDNet - November 17th, 2019
- How governments can use cloud computing to reduce risk and improve service delivery - Which-50 - November 17th, 2019
- Regulators begin probe into Google-Ascension cloud computing deal: WSJ - Reuters - November 17th, 2019
- Why cloud computing can get you a job 'anywhere in the world' - Siliconrepublic.com - November 17th, 2019
- Salesforce signs a big new deal with Microsoft's cloud to power one of its core products - Business Insider - November 17th, 2019
- Online Education Market in India 2018-2022 | Emergence of Cloud Computing to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - November 17th, 2019
- France and Germany outline its plan to boost European cloud computing sector - Data Economy - November 17th, 2019
- Adobe Stock: Is The Cloud Computing Leader Ready For Another Leg Up? - Investor's Business Daily - November 17th, 2019
- UPDATE 1-Regulators begin probe into Google-Ascension cloud computing deal -WSJ - Reuters - November 17th, 2019
- CEO Andy Jassy reportedly said AWS is two years ahead of Microsoft - Business Insider - November 17th, 2019
- US Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Size & Share 2019 Predictions and Analysis Report by 2027: Facts & Factors (FnF) - The World Industry... - November 17th, 2019