In an era where the only constant in technology is change, innovation through AI and intelligent process automation in businesses is commonplace. This transformation often leads to businesses investing in digital solutions in order to stay relevant in an increasingly competitive and saturated market.
The number of digital workers entering the workforce will increase by 50% by 2021, according to new IDC research. With the explosion of the robotic process automation (RPA) market, there are now millions of digital workers employed at businesses around the world. So dont be surprised to see a new robotic colleague at your next company meeting as organisations give at least one robot to every employee to augment their day-to-day activities.
But despite the promise that trillions of dollars are expected to be saved by deploying digital workers, most RPA projects fail to fully deliver. The root cause of many of these failures is that digital workers dont know how to handle unstructured content or undocumented processes just like badly onboarded employees dont. In order to realise the return on investment in RPA and content intelligence, we need to ensure our robot colleagues are employed and on-boarded appropriately.
A digital worker checklist
Step one of the hiring process is figuring out whether you really should invest in that digital worker. Given all the hype, this may seem counter-intuitive, but not every process is qualified for RPA and hastily implementing automation for the sake of it benefits no-one. Worse still, picking the wrong process will only lead to frustration as you try to make your digital worker perform a task it is technically unable to do.
In order to determine whether the process needs a robotic touch, its important to ensure your digital colleagues follow rules-based decisions rather than judgement-based. If your process is prone to human error and is repetitive - and especially if there is input data, and it is digitised through optical character recognition (OCR) and document capture - then the opportunity is ripe.
Onboarding your new colleague
So, youve decided a robotic helping hand is what your business needs. But before you get too excited, lets set a few ground rules. Avoid duplicate work and overlaps in the job function for your digital worker. Unlike humans, digital workers will tirelessly do what you ask of them, even when there are unintended results. Therefore, it is critical that digital workers managers use process intelligence to ensure they are properly designed to avoid conflicts and can deliver their benefits without the costly side effects of a poorly employed worker.
Secondly, ensure the process is fully documented for a digital worker, as this information is the basis of properly training the robot. Having this insight into processes means you can evaluate your current processes in their baseline state, so that process automation teams can clearly set ROI expectations and ensure agile service delivery so that automation efforts do not produce any unintended consequences.
Getting the bots up to speed
As with our human workforce, if we want our digital workers to handle increasing complexity and process sophistication, they will need more training. However, there is no skills gap with digital workers. This training is realised through the addition of cognitive skills such as AI and machine learning-enabled content intelligence, to raise the digital IQ of digital workers.
Previously, first generation RPA bots focused on automating high-volume, relatively simple processes involving structured data with no human intervention. As enterprise demands have evolved and AI capabilities increased, digital workers are increasingly being used in processes with unstructured data, in more complex environments where humans are part of the process and where some cognitive reasoning may be needed.
As with the human counterparts, regular check-ins, performance evaluations and review meetings are integral for the long-lasting career of your digital worker. A common reason why RPA projects fail is because bots arent monitored effectively and get stuck performing broken or poorly executed processes. Automating a bad process just makes bad things happen faster.
Using process intelligence to monitor digital workers ensures your automation investment is operating as expected post-deployment, especially in mixed mode scenarios where bots incorporate human assistance. Beyond digital worker monitoring, process intelligence can easily identify situations that require real time notifications to alert the right people at the right time.
By having proof of digital workers performance and cost impact, youll be able to reward your robot and expand them at enterprise scale. The future of work will be made up of a growing digital workforce that will take on more reasoning and decision-making, allowing them to go much further than simple automation. IDC estimates that today, machines conduct 29% of evaluating information, reasoning and decision making, and that this will only increase from this point on.
Digital transformation of the workplace is in full swing, with more organisations recognising the benefits of digital workers in augmenting human employees. Human-machine collaboration is not just the future of work, but the norm for high performing enterprises. So, what are you waiting for?
By Neil Murphy, Global VP, ABBYY
View original post here:
Now hiring: robots to your workplace - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website
- Qarnot Computing raises $6.5 million to heat buildings with wasted energy from cloud computing - VentureBeat - April 1st, 2020
- Can cloud computing sustain the remote working surge? - Tech Wire Asia - April 1st, 2020
- The Cloud Native Computing Foundation Adds 81 Members to Reach New Heights - Yahoo Finance - April 1st, 2020
- Which [r]evolution lies ahead for cloud computing in Southeast Asia? - DatacenterDynamics - April 1st, 2020
- 4 Reasons Why Cloud Technology Is Inseparable from Our Daily Lives - IT News Africa - April 1st, 2020
- 4 things you need to understand about edge computing - VentureBeat - April 1st, 2020
- Microsoft 'might be the best tech stock in this market,' Jim Cramer says - CNBC - April 1st, 2020
- D-Wave gives anyone working on responses to the COVID-19 free cloud access to its quantum computers - TechCrunch - April 1st, 2020
- Creating the optimal cloud defense strategy - ITP.net - April 1st, 2020
- InfiniteIO Introduces Native File Support for Cloud Storage to Accelerate Access, Analytics and Collaboration for Cloud-Native Applications - Business... - April 1st, 2020
- Five trends affecting the adoption of cloud today - ITProPortal - April 1st, 2020
- JD to Snatch Share of China's Cloud Market Dominated by the Big Three - CapitalWatch - April 1st, 2020
- The European Web Hoster IKOULA Supports All Companies to Continue Operating during the Covid-19 crisis, by Offering Them Its Collaborative Work,... - April 1st, 2020
- Best ETFs of 2020: The Global X Cloud Computing Fund Should Be a Winner - Investorplace.com - March 28th, 2020
- Blog: How cloud companies are reacting to Covid-19 and services offered: AWS, Alibaba, and more - Cloud Tech - March 28th, 2020
- Women in STEM: Giving back to the community - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - March 28th, 2020
- Cloud computing IaaS in Life Science Market 2020 | Growing Rapidly with Significant CAGR, Leading Players, Innovative Trends and Expected Revenue by... - March 28th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing Market 2020 | industry overview, supply and demand analysis and forecast 2026 - Packaging News 24 - March 28th, 2020
- 4 Ways the Coronavirus Pandemic Could Impact IBM - Motley Fool - March 28th, 2020
- Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Application Forecast - Skyline Gazette - March 28th, 2020
- What Pentagon cloud contract means to Amazon and Microsoft - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - March 28th, 2020
- Invest In The Software Of Social Distancing - Forbes - March 28th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market Report, History and Forecast 2020-2027, Breakdown Data by Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types and Application - News Succeed - March 28th, 2020
- Land-cover Maps of Europe from the Cloud - GIM International - March 28th, 2020
- Uncovering the hidden costs of cloud migration - IT PRO - March 28th, 2020
- The 10 American Companies With the Most Cash - 24/7 Wall St. - March 28th, 2020
- Zoho takes Freshworks to court in the first battle of Indian unicorns - YourStory - March 28th, 2020
- Microsoft to end investments in facial recognition firms after AnyVision controversy - The Verge - March 27th, 2020
- Bringing the cloud to Africa - ITWeb - March 27th, 2020
- How cloud providers are changing the outlook for IoT data and analytics management - Cloud Tech - March 23rd, 2020
- Amazon and Microsoft join White House team to unleash high-performance computing on COVID-19 - GeekWire - March 23rd, 2020
- Better to Be Realistic About the Security Opportunities of Cloud Computing - Lawfare - March 23rd, 2020
- 3 Cloud Computing Stocks That Are Winning From the Coronavirus - Investorplace.com - March 23rd, 2020
- Lehi-based company strives to help residents working from home with free services - Daily Herald - March 23rd, 2020
- The Best Virtual Cloud Computing Events and User Conferences for 2020 - Solutions Review - March 23rd, 2020
- Yes, you can build your business in the public cloud: Tune in live online next month to find out exactly how - The Register - March 23rd, 2020
- Hyper-Converged Infrastructure Industry to Post a 33.2% CAGR During 2019-2025 - Yahoo Finance - March 23rd, 2020
- Banking of Things zeroes in on data from devices, cloud computing - TheNewsTrace - March 23rd, 2020
- Security Advisory Services Market Study, 2020: Rising Adoption of Cloud-Based Solutions & Services Will Drive Future Demand - Yahoo Finance - March 23rd, 2020
- Pentagon Will Not Split JEDI Award EXCLUSIVE Breaking Defense - Defense industry news, analysis and commentary - Breaking Defense - March 23rd, 2020
- Cloud in a time of crisis - Gadget - March 23rd, 2020
- Supply Chain Embraces the Cloud to Drive Digital Transformation - EPS News - March 23rd, 2020
- Rescale Partners with Google Cloud and Azure to Offer Cloud HPC for COVID-19 Researchers - insideHPC - March 23rd, 2020
- Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Cost Analysis, Strategy and Growth Factor Report 2020| International Business Machines Corporation (IBM), Carestream... - March 23rd, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Government Market Increase In Analysis & Development Activities Is More Boosting Demands, 2020-2025 - News Times - March 23rd, 2020
- AMD and Intel have a formidable new foe but youll never guess who it is - TechRadar India - March 23rd, 2020
- Sabio further fleshes out its cloud contact centre offering with acquisition - Data Economy - March 23rd, 2020
- Cloud Computing Is Not the Energy Hog That Had Been Feared - The New York Times - February 28th, 2020
- Cloud computing: More costly, complicated and frustrating than expected - but still essential - ZDNet - February 28th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Security Risks and How to Protect Cloud Customers from Ransomware - Customer Think - February 28th, 2020
- Global Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 25.1& Over the Forecast Period, 2018-2023 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo... - February 28th, 2020
- Architecting a Cloud-to-Edge Computing Strategy As data-hungry devices and apps clamor for speed - IoT World Today - February 28th, 2020
- Cloud the next destination of geospatial - Geospatial World - February 28th, 2020
- FERC Opens Inquiry into Virtualization and Cloud Computing Services - Lexology - February 28th, 2020
- Fog and edge computing: revolutionary new technologies operating at the edge of the law - Business MattersBusiness Matters - February 28th, 2020
- Compare serverless tools and services in the public cloud - TechTarget - February 28th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market by Type and Distribution Channel: Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast 2020-2025 - News Times - February 28th, 2020
- Cloud Database and DBaaS Market Worth $24.8 Billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - Benzinga - February 28th, 2020
- Tech Disruptors from the Anaheim Show: Life After the Mars 2020 Rover - DesignNews - February 28th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing Data Center IT Asset Disposition (ITAD) Market 2025 by Orbis Market Reports | Expected to Grow as Demand from End-Users- AMI,... - February 28th, 2020
- Eficode Joins the Cloud Native Computing Foundation - Database Trends and Applications - February 28th, 2020
- The Future Of IoT Is At The Edge | By Ian Millar - Hospitality Net - February 28th, 2020
- The Best Cloud Computing Companies To Work For In 2020 Based On Glassdoor - Forbes - February 23rd, 2020
- Why Move to the Cloud? - Tulsa World - February 23rd, 2020
- Where Will Microsoft Be in 5 Years? - Motley Fool - February 23rd, 2020
- Hybrid Cloud Computing Market : Analysis and In-depth Study on Hybrid Cloud Computing Market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts to... - February 23rd, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Government Market Evolving Technology and Future Scope 2020 to 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 23rd, 2020
- Deal: Cloud And Networking Certification Training ~ Get 97% OFF - Internet - February 23rd, 2020
- Top Skills a Cloud Architect Needs to Be Successful - Dice Insights - February 23rd, 2020
- Whats in the Cloud? Proposed IRS Rules for Digital and Cloud Transactions - JD Supra - February 23rd, 2020
- Expanding massive growth of Cloud Computing Services Market 2020-2025 by Top Key Players Trend Emerson , ABB , GE Indutrade , BD Sensors , Lord, MTS... - February 23rd, 2020
- Tech and energy are teaming up, creating a market that could grow 500% in the next 5 years - CNBC - February 23rd, 2020
- Here are the three things driving Virgin Galactic's triple-digit rally: Space ETF issuer - CNBC - February 23rd, 2020
- Has Polaris Industries Really Conquered Its Off-Road Vehicle Fire Hazard Problem? - Nasdaq - February 23rd, 2020
- 3 ETFs to Profit from Explosive Growth of Cloud Computing - Yahoo Finance - February 20th, 2020
- 5 latest cloud computing trends for 2020 (and future predictions) - Daily Host News - February 20th, 2020
- What's Happening with Cloud Computing in 2020? - MarketScale - February 20th, 2020
- Why Is Google Cutting Jobs in Its Cloud Unit? - Market Realist - February 20th, 2020
- Cloud Computing for Business Operations Market Major Segments, Services, Solutions, Product Analysis, Industry Insights, Outlook and Future Forecast... - February 20th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Automotive Market investigated in the latest research - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - February 20th, 2020