Cloud computing is taking the world by storm. In fact, 94% of workloads and compute instances will be processed through cloud data centers by 2021, compared to only 6% by traditional data centers, according to research by Cisco.
The principle of the cloud isnt new, but as more and more companies and businesses switch to cloud-based services, its important to understand the nuances of cloud computing terminology and concepts.
For non-techies out there, the cloud might be an intimidating and nebulous concept. We hear about cloud computing all the time, but what exactly does it mean?
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) describes the basics of cloud computing this way:
Cloud computing is a model for enabling ubiquitous, convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources (e.g., networks, servers, storage, applications, and services) that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction.
In short, the cloud is the Internet, and cloud computing is techspeak that describes software and services that run through the Internet (or an intranet) rather than on private servers and hard drives.
Cloud computing differs from traditional IT hosting services in that the consumer (whether thats a business, organization, or individual user) generally doesnt own the infrastructure needed to support the programs or applications they use.
Instead, those elements are owned and operated by a third party, and the end-user pays only for the services they use. In other words, cloud computing is an on-demand, utility-based model of computing.
Users can access computing services via the cloud when they need to without interaction from the service provider. The computing services should be fully on-demand so that users have control and agility to meet their evolving needs.
Broad network access
Cloud computing services are widely available via the network through users preferred tools (e.g., laptops, desktops, smartphones, etc.).
One of the most attractive elements of cloud computing is the pooling of resources to deliver computing services at scale. Resources, such as storage, memory, processing, and network bandwidth, are pooled and assigned to multiple consumers based on demand.
Successful resource allocation requires elasticity. Resources must be assigned accurately and quickly with the ability to absorb significant increases and decreases in demand without service interruption or quality degradation.
Following the utility model, cloud computing services are measured and metered. This measurement allows the service provider (and consumer) to track usage and gauge costs according to their demand on resources.
Compare cloud vs on-premises server solutions to find the right solution for your organization.
Cloud solutions come in three primary service models: Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and Software as a Service (SaaS).
IaaS gives users access to storage, networking, servers, and other computing resources via the cloud. While the user is still responsible for managing their applications, data, middleware, etc., IaaS provides automated and scalable environments that provide a high degree of control and flexibility for the user.
For example, many businesses use IaaS to support workload spikes during busy seasons (like holidays).
Popular IaaS providers include:
Find the best cloud platform for you and your business when you compare AWS, Azure, and GCP.
This service layer is primarily geared towards developers and operations professionals. Service providers rent out cloud-based platforms for users to develop and deliver applications. In other words, PaaS provides a framework that makes it easier and more efficient to build, customize, and deploy applications.
Cloud application services are the most well-known of the cloud service models. The software is hosted, packaged, and delivered by a third party through the Internet (typically on a browser-based interface). By delivering the software application over the Internet, enterprises can offload the costs of management and maintenance to the vendor(s).
Popular SaaS options include email and customer relationship management software.
There are three main cloud service options: private, public, and hybrid clouds. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages and which one you (or your business) choose will depend on your data as well as the level of security and management you need.
A public cloud is probably the most commonly understood cloud computing option. This is where all the services and supporting infrastructure are managed off-site over the Internet and shared across multiple users (or tenants).
A good example of a public cloud at the individual consumer level is a streaming service like Netflix or Hulu. Users subscribe to the service through an individual account but access the same services across the platform through the Internet.
The advantage of using a public cloud is the increased efficiency and subsequent cost-effectiveness from shared resources. Public clouds are typically cheaper than private and hybrid cloud solutions (as well as traditional on-premise computing) because they rely on economies of scale. Users dont have to pay for services they arent using and dont have to worry about managing and maintaining the physical infrastructure.
A private cloud provides IT services through the Internet or a private network to select users, rather than to the general public. Instead of having multiple tenants, like a public cloud does, a private cloud typically has only one tenant. All the data is protected behind a firewall. This is a popular choice for many businesses who want the agility of the cloud with greater customization and security.
Private clouds can reside on-site or off-site. The distinguishing feature is the single, private tenant who maintains greater control over the IT services. Private clouds are popular choices for organizations who have high priorities on security and compliance.
A hybrid cloud environmentcombines both private and public cloud elements to varying degrees. Despite operating independently, the clouds in a hybrid environment communicate over an encrypted connection and allow for the portability of data and applications.
This is an increasingly popular cloud solution because it allows organizations greater flexibility to meet their IT needs.
There are many potential advantages to adopting cloud-based solutions for your business. Depending on your business and data needs, migrating to a cloud environment can result in the following benefits:
Although the initial price tag for migrating to the cloud can give some businesses sticker shock, there are attractive opportunities for ROI and cost savings. Operating on the cloud typically means adopting a pay-as-you-go model, which means you no longer have to pay for IT youre not using (whether thats storage, bandwidth, etc.).
Plus, cloud solutions are particularly affordable for smaller businesses who dont have the capital to build out and manage their own IT infrastructures. Greater efficiencies and economies of scale mean more money in your pocket in the long run.
A managed cloud platform is generally much more reliable than an in-house IT infrastructure, with fewer instances of downtime or service interruptions. Most providers offer 24/7 support and over 99.9% availability.
With backups for their backups, you can rest assured your data and applications will be available whenever you need them.
The cloud brings a level of portability unheard of with traditional IT delivery. By managing your data and software on the cloud, employees can access necessary information and communicate with each other whenever and wherever they want from their laptop, smartphone, or other Internet-connected devices.
Cloud-based solutions open up opportunities for more remote work and higher productivity and efficiency as everyone is assured access to the same updated information at the touch of a button.
Is your business preparing to move to the cloud? Use our checklist to keep your cloud migration strategy on track.
Find out more
The Basics of Cloud Computing | Lucidchart
- Google Teams With NVIDIA on New Cloud Computing Offerings - The Motley Fool - July 9th, 2020
- How will the cloud strengthen business continuity? | EC-Council Official Blog - EC-Council Blog - July 9th, 2020
- How is Cloud Computing Transforming the Businesses of Consumer Electronics? - Embedded Computing Design - July 9th, 2020
- Google Cloud and Renault partner for Industry 4.0 optimisation - Cloud Tech - July 9th, 2020
- Star2Star Wins 2020 Cloud Computing Product of the Year Award - Yahoo Finance - July 9th, 2020
- In cloud computing, SMEs have the magic wand to disruption of supply chain - The Standard - July 9th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Data Center It Asset Disposition Market Growth By Manufacturers, Countries, Types And Application, End Users And Forecast To 2026 -... - July 9th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Platform as a Service (PaaS) Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 9th, 2020
- Collective Demand for Cloud Computing Optical Component Market to Significantly Boost Revenues through the COVID-19 Crisis - 3rd Watch News - July 9th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Education Sector Market Segmentation and Analysis by Recent - News by aeresearch - July 9th, 2020
- Cloud Native Computing Foundation Scales Sandbox Approval Process to Meet Growing Demand from New Projects - PRNewswire - July 9th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing in Automotive Market 2020: Production Cost, Sales, Demand, End User, Manufacturers and Industry Shares till 2025 - Owned - July 9th, 2020
- AWS Looks to the Final Frontier of Cloud Computing: Space - WebProNews - July 9th, 2020
- Commerce Cloud Computing Market 2020 Emerging Trends, Top Companies, Industry Demand, Growth Opportunities, Business Review and Regional Analysis 2025... - July 9th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing in K-12 Market Recent Trends, In-depth Analysis, Market Size Research Report Forecast up to 2027: SAP, Adobe Systems, NetApp -... - July 9th, 2020
- Cloud computing IaaS in Life Science Market Growth By Manufacturers, Countries, Types And Application, End Users And Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 9th, 2020
- Nutanix to Host Tech Talk on End User Computing - Business Wire - July 9th, 2020
- What is cloud VPN and why is its popularity on the rise? - TechRadar - July 9th, 2020
- Government Cloud Computing Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 9th, 2020
- Interview: Seacom CIO Marius Burger on cloud in the time of Covid - TechCentral - July 9th, 2020
- Pearson and Amazon Web Services develop first Cloud Computing BTEC Higher National qualifications to help address the cloud computing skills gap - FE... - July 6th, 2020
- Cloud Supply Chain Management (SCM) Software Market to Witness over XX% Growth 'in Revenue During the COVID-19 Pandemic 2017-2023 3w Market News... - July 6th, 2020
- Prospects of Cloud Advertising Market 2020-2026 and Top Players involved in the market Like Amazon Web Services, Inc., Oracle Corporation, Google... - July 6th, 2020
- Cloud Engineering Market Global Industry Size, Growth, Segments and Top Companies Overview that are Trianz, Sogeti, Aricent Inc, Calsoft Inc,... - July 6th, 2020
- 3 Top Cloud Computing Stocks to Buy in July - The Motley Fool - July 5th, 2020
- Cloud Computing is the Focus of this New ETF from Dan Ives and Wedbush - The Wall Street Transcript - July 5th, 2020
- AMZN: 5 Cloud Computing Stocks that are Expected to Outperform - StockNews.com - July 5th, 2020
- Edge and the Cloud Partners or Competitors? Part I - Manufacturing.net - July 5th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Security Software Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Why Indian IT Professionals Are Looking To Upskill Themselves In Cloud Computing - Analytics India Magazine - July 5th, 2020
- Adopt Cloud fast to beat pandemic blues: Indian tech honchos - Outlook India - July 5th, 2020
- Cloud Computing for Business Operations Market to Witness Robust Expansion throughout the Forecast Period 2020-2025: Top Key Players Amazon Web... - July 5th, 2020
- Concerned on Parts of Tech Sector, But Sees Continued Growth Tied to Two Megatrends: Fidelity - FX Empire - July 5th, 2020
- Here's My Top Stock to Buy in July - Motley Fool - July 5th, 2020
- 3 Stocks to Buy in the Market That Could Mint the World's First Trillionaire - Motley Fool - July 5th, 2020
- Amazon Web Services joins hands with SpringPeople to close the cloud computing skill gaps - CRN.in - July 5th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Healthcare Market: Analysis of Installation Type and End-user, Market performance and key opportunities, Forecasts (2020 2025) -... - July 5th, 2020
- Micron Helps Power a New Wave of High-End Computing Amidst the COVID-19 Crisis - Motley Fool - July 5th, 2020
- Here's Why 2020 Belongs To Microsoft - Seeking Alpha - July 5th, 2020
- Improving Internal Operations - RFID Journal - July 5th, 2020
- Rural Cloud Initiative seeks to bring the edge to rural America - RCR Wireless News - July 5th, 2020
- JMI organises International Symposium to discuss Artificial Intelligence, Big Data Analytics, Cloud Computing and Internet of Things - India Education... - July 5th, 2020
- Amazon Web Services is creating its very own space force for cloud computing - GeekWire - July 1st, 2020
- Localization Of Data Storage Through Cloud Computing Systems - Finance and Banking - Turkey - Mondaq News Alerts - July 1st, 2020
- Canada - Cloud Computing Forecast and Perspective: Sunny, with a chance of Growth - Lexology - July 1st, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Healthcare Market Size, Analysis, Trends and Segmented Data by Top Companies and Opportunities 2020-2027 - Apsters News - July 1st, 2020
- Red Hat looks to move SAP managed services on-premises in new partnership - Cloud Tech - July 1st, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Healthcare Market SWOT Analysis 2020 & Technological Innovation by Leading Industry Experts 2025 - Apsters News - July 1st, 2020
- CGG GeoSoftware and Alibaba Cloud collaborate to support the E&P industry with cloud geoscience technologies - WorldOil - July 1st, 2020
- Data Loss Protection for the Hybrid Cloud - Security Boulevard - July 1st, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing in Higher Education Market 2020: Industry Analysis By Size, Share, Consumption, Demand, Growth, Revenue, Key-Companies, Types,... - July 1st, 2020
- A Cloud Guru Plans to Hire 90+ People This Year, Most of Them in Austin - Built In Austin - July 1st, 2020
- Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Size, Analysis, Trends and Segmented Data by Top Companies and Opportunities 2020-2027 - Cole of Duty - July 1st, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market by global COVID-19 impact analysis, industry trends, business strategies, opportunities and forecast to 2025 discussed in a new... - July 1st, 2020
- 5 Ways the Cloud Can Benefit Your Business During the Pandemic - CT Post - July 1st, 2020
- Industry Voices Chua: CSPs, hyperscale clouds and edge - beware the camel's nose - FierceTelecom - July 1st, 2020
- Universities and Tech Giants Again Nationwide Cloud Computing Mission - Editorials 360 - July 1st, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Higher Education Market 2020 Global Analysis, Trends, Forecast up to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- CGG GeoSoftware and Alibaba Cloud to support E&P companies with cloud geoscience technologies - Oilfield Technology - July 1st, 2020
- Reaching for the Cloud: Embracing digital channels in cooperative societies within Africa - Techpoint.ng - July 1st, 2020
- Huawei: 5G's 'five opportunities' | - Advanced Television - July 1st, 2020
- Taking the middleware out of high performance computing - TechRadar - July 1st, 2020
- Cloud computing firm iomart reports 12th consecutive year of growth - Prolific North - June 24th, 2020
- Hybrid Cloud Computing Market Prospects & Upcoming Trends and Opportunities Analyzed for Coming Years - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Expanding Resources with Rapid HPC Orchestration in the Cloud - HPCwire - June 24th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing Market 2020 | By Developments, Solutions, Services, Applications, Industry Analysis and Forecast 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Key Things to Consider While Choosing a Public Cloud - CXOToday.com - June 24th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing in Automotive Market 2020-2025: Value, Components, Technology, Installation Base and Leading Players Comparison - Owned - June 24th, 2020
- Ampere Altra Family of Cloud Native Processors expands to 128 cores with Altra Max - PRNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- Microsoft's new Asia boss outlines business priorities in the age of coronavirus - CNBC - June 24th, 2020
- How Edge Computing and 5G Work Together - TechAcute - June 24th, 2020
- Increasing election security monitoring in cloud computing - Microsoft on the Issues - Microsoft - June 23rd, 2020
- Cloud Computing Technologies and Its Legal Dimension - Lexology - June 23rd, 2020
- Higher Education Will See a Jump in Cloud Adoption - EdTech Magazine: Focus on Higher Education - June 23rd, 2020
- The 10 Hottest Cloud Startups Of 2020 (So Far) - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - June 23rd, 2020
- Cloud computing to surge in Latin America once Covid-19 lays off - Contxto - June 23rd, 2020
- Baidu to increase investment in AI and cloud, plans for 5 million servers - RCR Wireless News - June 23rd, 2020
- Why AIOps Tools Could (Finally) Breathe New Life into Cloud Computing - ITPro Today - June 23rd, 2020
- Cloud-native computing: The future of 5G and IoT - ETCIO.com - June 23rd, 2020
- AMD EPYC Processor Adoption Expands with New Supercomputing and High-Performance Cloud Computing System Wins - HPCwire - June 23rd, 2020