February 6, 2014 | Written by: Maamar Ferkoun
Share this post:
Cloud computing has been credited with increasing competitiveness through cost reduction, greater flexibility, elasticity and optimal resource utilization. Here are a few situations where cloud computing is used to enhance the ability to achieve business goals.
1. Infrastructure as a service (IaaS) and platform as a service (PaaS)
When it comes to IaaS, using an existing infrastructure on a pay-per-use scheme seems to be an obvious choice for companies saving on the cost of investing to acquire, manage and maintain an IT infrastructure. There are also instances where organizations turn to PaaS for the same reasons while also seeking to increase the speed of development on a ready-to-use platform to deploy applications.
2. Private cloud and hybrid cloud
Among the many incentives for using cloud, there are two situations where organizations are looking into ways to assess some of the applications they intend to deploy into their environment through the use of a cloud (specifically a public cloud). While in the case of test and development it may be limited in time, adopting a hybrid cloud approach allows for testing application workloads, therefore providing the comfort of an environment without the initial investment that might have been rendered useless should the workload testing fail.
Another use of hybrid cloud is also the ability to expand during periods of limited peak usage, which is often preferable to hosting a large infrastructure that might seldom be of use. An organization would seek to have the additional capacity and availability of an environment when needed on a pay-as you-go basis.
3. Test and development
Probably the best scenario for the use of a cloud is a test and development environment. This entails securing a budget, setting up your environment through physical assets, significant manpower and time. Then comes the installation and configuration of your platform. All this can often extend the time it takes for a project to be completed and stretch your milestones.
With cloud computing, there are now readily available environments tailored for your needs at your fingertips. This often combines, but is not limited to, automated provisioning of physical and virtualized resources.
4. Big data analytics
One of the aspects offered by leveraging cloud computing is the ability to tap into vast quantities of both structured and unstructured data to harness the benefit of extracting business value.
Retailers and suppliers are now extracting information derived from consumers buying patterns to target their advertising and marketing campaigns to a particular segment of the population. Social networking platforms are now providing the basis for analytics on behavioral patterns that organizations are using to derive meaningful information.
5. File storage
Cloud can offer you the possibility of storing your files and accessing, storing and retrieving them from any web-enabled interface. The web services interfaces are usually simple. At any time and place you have high availability, speed, scalability and security for your environment. In this scenario, organizations are only paying for the amount of cloud storage they are actually consuming, and do so without the worries of overseeing the daily maintenance of the storage infrastructure.
There is also the possibility to store the data either on or off premises depending on the regulatory compliance requirements. Data is stored in virtualized pools of storage hosted by a third party based on the customer specification requirements.
6. Disaster recovery
This is yet another benefit derived from using cloud based on the cost effectiveness of a disaster recovery (DR) solution that provides for a faster recovery from a mesh of different physical locations at a much lower cost that the traditional DR site with fixed assets, rigid procedures and a much higher cost.
Backing up data has always been a complex and time-consuming operation. This included maintaining a set of tapes or drives, manually collecting them and dispatching them to a backup facility with all the inherent problems that might happen in between the originating and the backup site. This way of ensuring a backup is performed is not immune to problems such as running out of backup media, and there is also time to load the backup devices for a restore operation, which takes time and is prone to malfunctions and human errors.
Cloud-based backup, while not being the panacea, is certainly a far cry from what it used to be. You can now automatically dispatch data to any location across the wire with the assurance that neither security, availability nor capacity are issues.
While the list of the above uses of cloud computing is not exhaustive, it certainly give an incentive to use the cloud when comparing to more traditional alternatives to increase IT infrastructure flexibility , as well as leverage on big data analytics and mobile computing.
Read the original post:
Top 7 most common uses of cloud computing - Cloud ...
- Advantages of cloud computing in education - Optocrypto - December 8th, 2019
- Okta's CEO says it is poised to keep growing as identity management market expands - Business Insider - December 8th, 2019
- Cloud Wars: Why Amazon is escalating its battle against Microsoft in enterprise tech - GeekWire - December 8th, 2019
- Cloud Computing: Amazon AWS Graviton 2 at 7nm to combat Intel and AMD - Optocrypto - December 8th, 2019
- Digital enterprise transformation with SAP and Deloitte - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - December 8th, 2019
- 5 trends shaping the cloud in 2020 - TechRadar - December 8th, 2019
- Why Kubernetes Is the Future of Cloud Computing - Barron's - December 6th, 2019
- We Need to Talk About Cloud Sprawl - Computer Business Review - December 6th, 2019
- Cloud computing IaaS in Life Science Market Research, Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 - Statsflash - December 6th, 2019
- The New Paradoxes of the Cloud Computing World - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Andy Jassy's 12 Boldest Remarks On The Future Of Cloud Computing - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - December 5th, 2019
- How cloud computing can help your small business thrive - http://smallbusiness.co.uk - December 5th, 2019
- The importance of Cloud Computing for the Utility Industry - Doxee - December 5th, 2019
- Animal Logic promotes cloud computing as democratizing the future of animation - Mash Viral - December 5th, 2019
- Cloud Computing in Education Market: Competitive Landscape and Recent Industry Development Analysis 2017 - 2025 - Weekly Spy - December 5th, 2019
- Breaking Down Amazon's Storage-Related AWS News Announcements - ITPro Today - December 5th, 2019
- Why cloud computing is requiring us to rethink resiliency at the Edge - IT PRO - December 5th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market Poised for Steady Growth in the Future 2019 - 2028 - Weekly Spy - December 5th, 2019
- AWS and Verizon partner on 5G edge cloud computing - Data Economy - December 5th, 2019
- Cloud now the destination for finance, says survey - www.computing.co.uk - December 5th, 2019
- How The Parts Add Up: The First Trust Cloud Computing ETF Headed For $68 - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- What's Happening at the Cloud Insight Jam on December 19th? - Solutions Review - December 2nd, 2019
- Amazon Just Joined The Race To Dominate Quantum Computing In The Cloud - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market in Healthcare Research and Development Key Players, Industry Overview and Forecast Analysis - Montana Ledger - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud-software stocks weather harsh start to December amid tech-spending concerns - MarketWatch - December 2nd, 2019
- Technology Leader of the Year: Enabling the Digital Transformation - IndustryWeek - December 2nd, 2019
- Data in the Cloud is Much More at Risk Than Enterprises May Think - CISO MAG - December 2nd, 2019
- Global Cloud Computing Market Competitive Analysis 2019 By Top Companies Strategies Till 2028 - Sound On Sound Fest - December 2nd, 2019
- Think of data as the new uranium rather than the new oil and treat it like it's toxic - Cloud Tech - December 2nd, 2019
- Is Crowd Computing the Next Big Thing? - EE Journal - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market revenue in Europe to exceed USD 75 Bn by 2026: Global Market Insights, Inc. - GlobeNewswire - November 30th, 2019
- IT solutions found in the cloud - AZ Big Media - November 30th, 2019
- Alibaba wants its cloud computing to help power the future - Abacus - November 30th, 2019
- McAfee notes the gap between cloud-first and cloud-only yet optimism reigns on success - Cloud Tech - November 30th, 2019
- Why glass might be the future of data storage - Financial Times - November 30th, 2019
- The best Software as a Service (SaaS) companies of the 2010s decade - TechRepublic - November 30th, 2019
- Microsoft, not Amazon, is going to win the cloud wars - IT PRO - November 30th, 2019
- Infarm plants its blend of vertical farming and cloud computing in QFC grocery stores - GeekWire - November 30th, 2019
- What to expect from AWS Re:Invent 2019 - IT PRO - November 30th, 2019
- Microsoft and AT&T expand upon partnership to deliver Azure services on 5G core - Cloud Tech - November 26th, 2019
- AI, Cloud Computing and IoT: How digitalisation is driving dramatic IT changes in healthcare - Techerati - November 26th, 2019
- The Impact of Cloud Computing on the Insurance Industry - Doxee - November 26th, 2019
- Its in the Cloud, So it Secure . . . Maybe! - Security Boulevard - November 26th, 2019
- Study shows continued cloud maturation in Nordics with manufacturing a standout - Cloud Tech - November 26th, 2019
- As Per New Report on Hybrid Cloud Computing Market Will Touch a New Level in Upcoming Years | Microsoft Corporation, Cisco Systems, and Amazon Web... - November 26th, 2019
- Infarm plants its blend of vertical farming and cloud computing in QFC grocery stores - Yahoo Tech - November 26th, 2019
- 'Guess What, There's A Cost For That': Getting Cloud & AI Right - Breaking Defense - November 26th, 2019
- AWS re:Invent 2019 - Predictions And A Wishlist - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- Review: How NeuVector protects containers throughout their lifecycle - CSO Online - November 26th, 2019
- VMware Reports Earnings Today. Heres What to Expect. - Barron's - November 26th, 2019
- HiveIO Top 5 IT Predictions For 2020 - RTInsights - November 26th, 2019
- Adoption of Cloud-Native Architecture, Part 1: Architecture Evolution and Maturity - InfoQ.com - November 26th, 2019
- Cloud, AI, and personalisation: Key issues to consider - www.computing.co.uk - November 26th, 2019
- Global Medical Device Security Solutions Market 2020-2024 | Increasing Demand for Cloud-Based Solutions to Boost the Market Growth | Technavio -... - November 26th, 2019
- Cloud computing IaaS in Life Science Market Global Industry Demand, Scope and Strategic Outlook,Growth Analysis,Business Opportunities and Future... - November 26th, 2019
- How much cloud does an IT disaster recovery plan need? - TechTarget - November 26th, 2019
- Cyber and the cloud: Overcoming the key security challenges amid multi-cloud rise - Cloud Tech - November 24th, 2019
- Global Healthcare Cloud Computing Market 2018-2022 | Introduction of Blockchain in Cloud Computing to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - November 24th, 2019
- Alibaba Is Taking the Cloud Battle to Amazon - Investopedia - November 24th, 2019
- Video Streaming Platforms And The Benefits Of Cloud - Forbes - November 24th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market Expected to Grow at 623.3 Billion In Revenue by 2023 - Hitz Dairies - November 24th, 2019
- Amazon reportedly restricted partners at its New York conference from mentioning competitors like Microsoft and Google - Business Insider - November 24th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market Segmentation and Analysis by Recent Trends, Development and Growth by Regions to 2024 - Eastlake Times - November 24th, 2019
- Cloud computing | computer science | Britannica - November 20th, 2019
- What Is Cloud Computing? How Does Cloud Computing Work ... - November 20th, 2019
- Top Cloud Computing ETFs - November 20th, 2019
- Cloud Computing: Where the Jobs Are - BlackEngineer.com - November 20th, 2019
- Ask the Expert: Cloud Computing in 2020 - Datamation - November 20th, 2019
- Gartner: Cloud computing revenues to jump in coming years - The Advocate - November 20th, 2019
- Nutanix Hires Former Nexenta CEO To Build 'Hybrid Cloud Powerhouse' - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 20th, 2019
- Across the enterprise: Tackle Industry 4.0 with edge, fog and cloud computing - CanadianManufacturing.com - November 20th, 2019
- Cloud Native Computing Foundation Announces 2019 Community Awards Winners - PRNewswire - November 20th, 2019
- ExtraHop Extends Cloud-Native Network Detection and Response with Google Cloud Platform Integration - Business Wire - November 20th, 2019
- Cloud Computing in Industrial IoT Market in-depth approaches behind the Success of Top Players like Cisco, GE, ChargePoint, Honeywell, Intel, IBM -... - November 18th, 2019
- Task force on artificial intelligence hearing: AI and the evolution of cloud computing - key testimony on the risks, challenges and opportunities -... - November 18th, 2019
- Cloud computing: SaaS, IaaS or PaaS - which is growing fastest? - ZDNet - November 17th, 2019
- How governments can use cloud computing to reduce risk and improve service delivery - Which-50 - November 17th, 2019
- Regulators begin probe into Google-Ascension cloud computing deal: WSJ - Reuters - November 17th, 2019
- Why cloud computing can get you a job 'anywhere in the world' - Siliconrepublic.com - November 17th, 2019
- Salesforce signs a big new deal with Microsoft's cloud to power one of its core products - Business Insider - November 17th, 2019