The Cloud has become a major buzzword in business for very good reason. Small businesses and large enterprises alike cantake advantage of cloud computingto build and expand the computer based infrastructurebehind the scenes. Follow this guide to better understand what cloud computing is, how it works, and how you can take advantage.
In the old world of web servers and internet infrastructure, websites and other online assets were typically limited to one main server, or a few linked servers using tools called load balancers, to process and send data, whether it be acustomer facing websiteor internal facing application. The advent of content delivery networks (CDNs) powered up those servers to host and serve data from the edge of the network for faster serving and sometimes lower costs.
As computing demand exploded with the rise of the smartphone and high-speed internet, consumer and business needs downstream of those servers continues to creep upward. Cloud computing has emerged as the best option to handle an array of computing needs for startups and small businesses due to the ability to start at a low cost and scale, almost infinitely, as demand grows. Advances in cloud technology at Amazon, Google, Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, and other major cloud providers is making cloud computing more desirable for all businesses.
When cloud computing first emerged, large enterprises were the only businesses able to afford the cost of elastic, flexible computing power. Now, however, those costs are more likely a drop in the bucket for small businesses.
For example, I use the cloud to store and serve videos forDenver Flash Mob, a side hustle business I run with my wife. Our monthly bill is typically around a dollar or two, and heavy months lead to a bill around five bucks. No big deal! Mylending startup Money Molais also cloud based, with costs to run both a development server and public facing server running us around $30 per month.
The first time I logged into Amazon Web Services (AWS) it seemed like I needed a computer science degree to use it! I had a hard time doing even basic tasks outside of uploading and sharing videos. Thankfully Amazon has made using AWS much easier, though it is not without its challenges.
Im a pretty techy guy, so my skillset is a bit more advanced than the average computer user. I have setup AWS to send outgoing transactional emails,automatically backup websites, and more on my own. If you are willing and able to hire a cloud expert, the possibilities of the cloud are endless. Anything from web hosting to artificial intelligence and big data analysis can run in the cloud.
The most basic way to get started with cloud computing is website and computer backups. If you use WordPress for your website, setting up cloud backups is simple with one of a handful of plugins likeUpdraft Plus. If you can use the WordPress dashboard, you can setup cloud backups with Updraft plus. It is quick and easy and includes out of the box support. Easy from companies like AWS, Drobox, Google Drive, Rackspace Cloud, and other services. The paid plugin version adds access to Microsoft OneDrive and Azure, Google Cloud Storage, and other options.
I runseveral backups of both my laptop and my web based assets. If my home were to be burglarized or burned down, the cloud has me covered. If my laptop is stolen, I have a backup at home and in the cloud. Redundant backups are not optional, they are a must in 2017.
In addition to safe, secure backups, the cloud can reach far corners of the planet. Utilizingcloud based CDNs, you know your customers will get every video and web page they want with near instant speeds.
Lets say your business has a popular video you want to share around the world. With acloud CDN, you upload your video once to the web. Then the CDN takes over and creates copies of that video file in data centers around the world. Whenever a customer clicks to view that video, they are served a copy from the closest data center to their location.
Thanks to the power of a CDN, you dont have to send viewers in Australia, London, Bangkok, and Buenos Aires a video from your web server in Texas. Each one gets a local copy so they get their video even faster, offering a better customer experience. App based businesses can even run multiple versions of their app in data centers around the world. This will nsure every user has the same great experience.
It doesnt matter what your business does, there is some way the cloud can help you achieve better results. The cloud is only going to grow and become more prominent in business. Older computer methods will go the way of the fax machine. If you want serious computing success with scalability and flexibility, the cloud is your best option.
This article was originally published on Due.com.
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.
Read the original post:
Why 2017 Is The Year To Understand Cloud Computing - Nasdaq
- Why Kubernetes Is the Future of Cloud Computing - Barron's - December 6th, 2019
- We Need to Talk About Cloud Sprawl - Computer Business Review - December 6th, 2019
- Cloud computing IaaS in Life Science Market Research, Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 - Statsflash - December 6th, 2019
- The New Paradoxes of the Cloud Computing World - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Andy Jassy's 12 Boldest Remarks On The Future Of Cloud Computing - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - December 5th, 2019
- How cloud computing can help your small business thrive - http://smallbusiness.co.uk - December 5th, 2019
- The importance of Cloud Computing for the Utility Industry - Doxee - December 5th, 2019
- Animal Logic promotes cloud computing as democratizing the future of animation - Mash Viral - December 5th, 2019
- Cloud Computing in Education Market: Competitive Landscape and Recent Industry Development Analysis 2017 - 2025 - Weekly Spy - December 5th, 2019
- Breaking Down Amazon's Storage-Related AWS News Announcements - ITPro Today - December 5th, 2019
- Why cloud computing is requiring us to rethink resiliency at the Edge - IT PRO - December 5th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market Poised for Steady Growth in the Future 2019 - 2028 - Weekly Spy - December 5th, 2019
- AWS and Verizon partner on 5G edge cloud computing - Data Economy - December 5th, 2019
- Cloud now the destination for finance, says survey - www.computing.co.uk - December 5th, 2019
- How The Parts Add Up: The First Trust Cloud Computing ETF Headed For $68 - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- What's Happening at the Cloud Insight Jam on December 19th? - Solutions Review - December 2nd, 2019
- Amazon Just Joined The Race To Dominate Quantum Computing In The Cloud - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market in Healthcare Research and Development Key Players, Industry Overview and Forecast Analysis - Montana Ledger - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud-software stocks weather harsh start to December amid tech-spending concerns - MarketWatch - December 2nd, 2019
- Technology Leader of the Year: Enabling the Digital Transformation - IndustryWeek - December 2nd, 2019
- Data in the Cloud is Much More at Risk Than Enterprises May Think - CISO MAG - December 2nd, 2019
- Global Cloud Computing Market Competitive Analysis 2019 By Top Companies Strategies Till 2028 - Sound On Sound Fest - December 2nd, 2019
- Think of data as the new uranium rather than the new oil and treat it like it's toxic - Cloud Tech - December 2nd, 2019
- Is Crowd Computing the Next Big Thing? - EE Journal - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market revenue in Europe to exceed USD 75 Bn by 2026: Global Market Insights, Inc. - GlobeNewswire - November 30th, 2019
- IT solutions found in the cloud - AZ Big Media - November 30th, 2019
- Alibaba wants its cloud computing to help power the future - Abacus - November 30th, 2019
- McAfee notes the gap between cloud-first and cloud-only yet optimism reigns on success - Cloud Tech - November 30th, 2019
- Why glass might be the future of data storage - Financial Times - November 30th, 2019
- The best Software as a Service (SaaS) companies of the 2010s decade - TechRepublic - November 30th, 2019
- Microsoft, not Amazon, is going to win the cloud wars - IT PRO - November 30th, 2019
- Infarm plants its blend of vertical farming and cloud computing in QFC grocery stores - GeekWire - November 30th, 2019
- What to expect from AWS Re:Invent 2019 - IT PRO - November 30th, 2019
- Microsoft and AT&T expand upon partnership to deliver Azure services on 5G core - Cloud Tech - November 26th, 2019
- AI, Cloud Computing and IoT: How digitalisation is driving dramatic IT changes in healthcare - Techerati - November 26th, 2019
- The Impact of Cloud Computing on the Insurance Industry - Doxee - November 26th, 2019
- Its in the Cloud, So it Secure . . . Maybe! - Security Boulevard - November 26th, 2019
- Study shows continued cloud maturation in Nordics with manufacturing a standout - Cloud Tech - November 26th, 2019
- As Per New Report on Hybrid Cloud Computing Market Will Touch a New Level in Upcoming Years | Microsoft Corporation, Cisco Systems, and Amazon Web... - November 26th, 2019
- Infarm plants its blend of vertical farming and cloud computing in QFC grocery stores - Yahoo Tech - November 26th, 2019
- 'Guess What, There's A Cost For That': Getting Cloud & AI Right - Breaking Defense - November 26th, 2019
- AWS re:Invent 2019 - Predictions And A Wishlist - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- Review: How NeuVector protects containers throughout their lifecycle - CSO Online - November 26th, 2019
- VMware Reports Earnings Today. Heres What to Expect. - Barron's - November 26th, 2019
- HiveIO Top 5 IT Predictions For 2020 - RTInsights - November 26th, 2019
- Adoption of Cloud-Native Architecture, Part 1: Architecture Evolution and Maturity - InfoQ.com - November 26th, 2019
- Cloud, AI, and personalisation: Key issues to consider - www.computing.co.uk - November 26th, 2019
- Global Medical Device Security Solutions Market 2020-2024 | Increasing Demand for Cloud-Based Solutions to Boost the Market Growth | Technavio -... - November 26th, 2019
- Cloud computing IaaS in Life Science Market Global Industry Demand, Scope and Strategic Outlook,Growth Analysis,Business Opportunities and Future... - November 26th, 2019
- How much cloud does an IT disaster recovery plan need? - TechTarget - November 26th, 2019
- Cyber and the cloud: Overcoming the key security challenges amid multi-cloud rise - Cloud Tech - November 24th, 2019
- Global Healthcare Cloud Computing Market 2018-2022 | Introduction of Blockchain in Cloud Computing to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - November 24th, 2019
- Alibaba Is Taking the Cloud Battle to Amazon - Investopedia - November 24th, 2019
- Video Streaming Platforms And The Benefits Of Cloud - Forbes - November 24th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market Expected to Grow at 623.3 Billion In Revenue by 2023 - Hitz Dairies - November 24th, 2019
- Amazon reportedly restricted partners at its New York conference from mentioning competitors like Microsoft and Google - Business Insider - November 24th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market Segmentation and Analysis by Recent Trends, Development and Growth by Regions to 2024 - Eastlake Times - November 24th, 2019
- Cloud computing | computer science | Britannica - November 20th, 2019
- What Is Cloud Computing? How Does Cloud Computing Work ... - November 20th, 2019
- Top Cloud Computing ETFs - November 20th, 2019
- Cloud Computing: Where the Jobs Are - BlackEngineer.com - November 20th, 2019
- Ask the Expert: Cloud Computing in 2020 - Datamation - November 20th, 2019
- Gartner: Cloud computing revenues to jump in coming years - The Advocate - November 20th, 2019
- Nutanix Hires Former Nexenta CEO To Build 'Hybrid Cloud Powerhouse' - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 20th, 2019
- Across the enterprise: Tackle Industry 4.0 with edge, fog and cloud computing - CanadianManufacturing.com - November 20th, 2019
- Cloud Native Computing Foundation Announces 2019 Community Awards Winners - PRNewswire - November 20th, 2019
- ExtraHop Extends Cloud-Native Network Detection and Response with Google Cloud Platform Integration - Business Wire - November 20th, 2019
- Cloud Computing in Industrial IoT Market in-depth approaches behind the Success of Top Players like Cisco, GE, ChargePoint, Honeywell, Intel, IBM -... - November 18th, 2019
- Task force on artificial intelligence hearing: AI and the evolution of cloud computing - key testimony on the risks, challenges and opportunities -... - November 18th, 2019
- Cloud computing: SaaS, IaaS or PaaS - which is growing fastest? - ZDNet - November 17th, 2019
- How governments can use cloud computing to reduce risk and improve service delivery - Which-50 - November 17th, 2019
- Regulators begin probe into Google-Ascension cloud computing deal: WSJ - Reuters - November 17th, 2019
- Why cloud computing can get you a job 'anywhere in the world' - Siliconrepublic.com - November 17th, 2019
- Salesforce signs a big new deal with Microsoft's cloud to power one of its core products - Business Insider - November 17th, 2019
- Online Education Market in India 2018-2022 | Emergence of Cloud Computing to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - November 17th, 2019
- France and Germany outline its plan to boost European cloud computing sector - Data Economy - November 17th, 2019
- Adobe Stock: Is The Cloud Computing Leader Ready For Another Leg Up? - Investor's Business Daily - November 17th, 2019
- UPDATE 1-Regulators begin probe into Google-Ascension cloud computing deal -WSJ - Reuters - November 17th, 2019
- CEO Andy Jassy reportedly said AWS is two years ahead of Microsoft - Business Insider - November 17th, 2019
- US Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Size & Share 2019 Predictions and Analysis Report by 2027: Facts & Factors (FnF) - The World Industry... - November 17th, 2019