The cloud has become a giant profit machine for much of the tech world. Its pushed both Amazon. com (ticker: AMZN) and Microsoft (MSFT) to stratospheric valuations. But the next big thing in the cloud is, ironically, being enabled by a non-profit.
The Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) is the non-profit foundation that owns the Kubernetes trademark and hosts the Kubernetes open source project. Kubernetes, as Barrons explained recently, is making the cloud far more useful for running cloud-native applications. The Greek word for helmsman or pilot, Kubernetes is accelerating the transition from legacy client-server technology to the cloud.
Last month, more than 12,000 developers and executives gathered in San Diego at the largest annual Kubernetes conference called KubeCon, run by CNCF. Thats up from just 550 attendees four years ago. The developers are looking for ways to take advantage of Kubernetes and its management of containers stored in the cloud. CNCF is a subsidiary of the Linux Foundation, which supports the open-source Linux operating system used in PCs, enterprise servers, and in the cloud.
Containers hold an application, its settings, and other related instructions. The key to the container is that its essentially a free agent, not tied down to one operating system and able to run across different clouds.
Alphabets (ticker: GOOGL) Google long ago developed software called Borg to orchestrate its in-house containers for apps like Gmail and Google Maps, spinning them up and down as needed. In 2014, the search giant opted to make a version of Borg open source, calling it Kubernetes. Today, the major cloud providers all offer a Kubernetes option to customers.
This week, Barrons spoke to Dan Kohn, Executive Director of the Cloud Native Computing Foundation, about the future of Kubernetes.
Heres an edited transcript of our conversation:
Barrons: Whats the history of Kubernetes and the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF)?
Dan Kohn: The history here is that Google originally created the [Kubernetes open source] project back in 2014. The company brought in developers from a number of other companies Red Hat, IBM (IBM), Huawei and others. They wanted to get more adoption. So they said, who can we transfer the trademark to to ensure that there would be neutral governance around this project and thered be a fair way of deciding to use it for other sorts of things. So they came to the Linux Foundation and the Linux Foundation set up CNCF.
Why is Kubernetes such a sea change in computing, and why has it gained so much traction over the last few years?
The idea behind Kubernetes is to leverage the last decade of innovation. This is where the term container comes in -- the idea that you wrapped each of your microservices into its own container.
Instead of hiring a team of system administrators -- dozens or hundreds of people whose job it is to keep track and to make sure that all of those things are running within the rules -- you program that into software. And then Kubernetes is the platform -- the term is orchestration engine. It is the orchestrator that is making sure that all of your software is running the way its supposed to.
What are the key advantages of Kubernetes versus older models of computing?
There are three big advantages. The first one is resource efficiency, and this is the idea that by breaking up your application into lots of different pieces, running just the way they need to, you can run the same workloads on a smaller number of servers.
Number two is a higher development velocity. When you had one big monolith, its extremely difficult to make changes to it. But when you can break it up into microservices, each team can be responsible for its own part and can have it improve at its own rate. And that allows the whole system to improve much faster.
And the third one is about portability in hybrid cloud -- being able to move your workloads and not being locked into a single provider or a single vendor. Also one of the huge strengths of open source is that you ultimately have control over the technology your businesses rely on.
Are these key advantages of Kubernetes accelerating the trend to cloud native software development and cloud computing in general?
Definitely. Kubernetes ensures that workloads get the resources that they need. Were just seeing that adoption accelerate among our members, and we now have over 130 end user companies using these technologies [and paying dues to the foundation]. So its folks like Apple (AAPL) and Ant Financial, which does Alipay. Its a pretty spectacular group. Were seeing that story of cloud native adoption very consistent between them. [Editors note: Kubernetes is open source, so any company can use it for free without being a CNCF member.]
Who are the top contributors right now who are contributing the most to the Kubernetes project?
Theres 35,000 individual contributors, over 2,000 companies, and 1.1 million contributions. We list the top eight contributor companies - Google, Red Hat, VMware (VMW), Huawei, Microsoft, IBM, Fujitsu and a startup called Weaveworks. Googles contributions continue to go up, but their percentage as a whole has been consistently going down, as all these additional companies have gotten involved.
Thanks for your time, Dan.
See the rest here:
Why Kubernetes Is the Future of Cloud Computing - Barron's
- Cloud Computing Market Could Surpass $830 Billion Within 5 Years - ETF Trends - September 19th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing in Healthcare Industry Growth Analysis 2020-2026 with Market Share, Size, Trends, Revenue, CAGR and SWOT Analysis - The Daily... - September 19th, 2020
- Snowflake's IPO is a bet on companies using AI for everything - Quartz - September 19th, 2020
- Will Amazon Split Its Stock? - The Motley Fool - September 19th, 2020
- How to deal with the challenges of cloud storage vs. SAN - TechTarget - September 19th, 2020
- Trending News 2020 Covid-19 impact on Cloud Intelligent Computing Chip Industry Trends, Statistics, Size, Share, Growth, by Key Players Industry... - September 19th, 2020
- Securing healthcare organizations when moving to the cloud - Techradar - September 19th, 2020
- VGT: Buy the Dips in These 3 Tech ETFs - StockNews.com - September 19th, 2020
- Industry experts discuss disparities in cloud ERP - www.computing.co.uk - September 19th, 2020
- Mobile Edge Computing Market Worth $2.8 billion by 2027- Exclusive Report Covering Pre and Post COVID-19 Market Analysis by Meticulous Research -... - September 19th, 2020
- Healthcare Cloud Computing Market- Roadmap for Recovery from COVID-19 | Increasing Cloud Assisted Medical Collaborations to boost the Market Growth |... - September 17th, 2020
- Wall Street's Love Affair With Snowflake And Cloud Computing Creates Biggest Software IPO In History - International Business Times - September 17th, 2020
- The Top Green Zone Stocks in This Tech Disruptor Sector - Money and Markets - September 17th, 2020
- What's the risk of becoming too cloud-dependent? - TechHQ - September 17th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Service Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2026 | Amazon, Salesforce.com, VMware and more - The Daily Chronicle - September 17th, 2020
- What are the Benefits of Cloud Computing Security? - Enterprise Security Mag - September 17th, 2020
- What's at the root of most cloud attacks? Cryptomining, apparently - TechHQ - September 17th, 2020
- Microsoft wants to take on Amazon in connecting satellites to the cloud - CNBC - September 17th, 2020
- With TikTok Deal, Larry Ellison Signals That Oracles Cloud Computing Ambitions Are No Longer A Pie In The Sky - Swarajya - September 17th, 2020
- The Right Cloud Strategy Starts with the Right Data Center Strategy - Data Center Frontier - September 17th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market 2019 Share Growing Rapidly with Recent Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand and Forecast to 2024 - The Market Chronicles - September 17th, 2020
- Google highlights its cloud capabilities with Deutsche Brse and Bed Bath & Beyond - SiliconANGLE News - September 17th, 2020
- Cloud Security Challenges in 2020 And How to Avoid Them - TechFunnel - September 17th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Higher Education Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2026 | Blackboard, Cisco, Ellucian and more - The Daily Chronicle - September 17th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing Service Market Report Reviews Trends, Future opportunities, Revenue, Competitive Landscape Analysis And Forecast to 2027 - The... - September 17th, 2020
- 2020 Puts Cloud Computing in Government to the Test - GovTech - September 4th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Trends During the COVID-19 Pandemic - ITPro Today - September 4th, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - AiThority - September 4th, 2020
- Here's where AIOps is delivering results today - Cloud Tech - September 4th, 2020
- A guide to DataOps: Enabling the true speed of your data - Cloud Tech - September 4th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market Study for 2020 to 2027 providing information on Key Players, Growth Drivers and Industry challenges - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Global 5G and Edge Computing Market to 2024 - Cloud Workloads Shifting to the Edge - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - September 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Commerce Cloud Computing Market 2020: Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Demand, Growth rate and Forecasts Till 2025 -... - September 4th, 2020
- Multi-Cloud: Worst Practice or the Future of Public Cloud? - InfoQ.com - September 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing for Business Operations Market 2020-2026 | Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, IBM Cloud, Red Hat - NJ... - September 4th, 2020
- The secret of the cloud: Remote collaboration, elasticity, and the e-discovery paradigm - KMWorld Magazine - September 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing in Healthcare Market Size, Analysis, Growth ratio, Top Players and Future Forecasts to 2020-2026 - Galus Australis - September 4th, 2020
- A year with the Army's cloud management office - Defense Systems - September 4th, 2020
- The Future Of Cloud Computing: Moving At The Speed Of Business - iAfrica.com - September 4th, 2020
- What's the state of quantum computing? Led by IBM & Amazon it's developing rapidly - WRAL Tech Wire - September 4th, 2020
- SA leading the way as cloud computing uplifts Africa - IOL - September 4th, 2020
- DEWA to accelerate UAE's adoption of AI and cloud computing - Smart Energy - August 31st, 2020
- Partnership to transform cloud computing education - The Star Online - August 31st, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Education Market Competitive Intelligence And Tracking Report Till 2028 - The Daily Chronicle - August 31st, 2020
- Why Cloud Computing Stocks & ETFs Soared This Year - Yahoo Finance - August 29th, 2020
- Why cloud computing isn't the answer to all business problems - Verdict - August 29th, 2020
- How to manage the risk of cloud sprawl with centralised management - Cloud Tech - August 29th, 2020
- AWS, Azure or Google? Six steps to decide the best cloud for SAP implementations - Cloud Tech - August 29th, 2020
- UTAR and Alibaba Cloud Sign MoU to Transform Cloud Computing Education - QS WOW News - August 29th, 2020
- IBM has built a new drug-making lab entirely in the cloud - MIT Technology Review - August 29th, 2020
- The global cloud computing market at a CAGR of over 16% during the forecast period - Yahoo Finance UK - August 29th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market Witness the Growth of $832.1 Billion by 2025 - Press Release - Digital Journal - August 29th, 2020
- Worldwide To Maintain The Momentum In The Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Between 2025 - Scientect - August 29th, 2020
- Financial Governance for Big Data in the Cloud - Express Computer - August 29th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Global Cloud Computing in K-12 Market 2020 Industry Size, Advancement Strategy, Top Players, SWOT Analysis and 2025... - August 29th, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Cloud Computing in Retail Banking Market Report 2020 Key Players Amazon Web... - August 29th, 2020
- Splunk Appoints Cloud Computing and Finance Veteran Sean Boyle to its Board of Directors - Business Wire - August 26th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact On Healthcare Cloud Computing Industry 2020: Global Market Size, Share, Emerging Trends, Business Growth Applications, SWOT Analysis... - August 26th, 2020
- Addressing the potential impact of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Cloud Computing in Oil and Gas Market Trends Together With Growth Forecast To... - August 26th, 2020
- Deloitte: Cloud Will Be a Relevant Technology in the "Next Normal" - Solutions Review Enterprise Cloud - August 26th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Industry to Grow from $371.4 Billion in 2020 to $832.1 Billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 17.5% - Yahoo Finance - August 26th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing Service Market Checkout the Unpredictable Future: Industry Applications, Competitors growth prospects, Industry Growth Rate... - August 26th, 2020
- Latest Forcast On Cloud Computing in Higher Education Market Emerging Industries, Remarkable Developments and Key Players| Global Future Prospects... - August 26th, 2020
- Cyber security, cloud computing, IoT, and data science are the next booming sectors - Express Computer - August 26th, 2020
- How the edge and the cloud tackle latency, security and bandwidth issues - Information Age - August 26th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in K-12 Market -Industry Trends, Opportunities and Forecasts to Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast... - August 26th, 2020
- Will 5G Networks Move To Open RAN? - Forbes - August 26th, 2020
- 3 Stocks That Have Doubled In 2020 and Still Have Room to Grow - Motley Fool - August 26th, 2020
- Cloud Computing: The Solution to a Pandemic-Induced Problem - DevPro Journal - August 20th, 2020
- Worldwide Transaction Monitoring Solutions Industry to 2024 - The Emergence of Cloud Computing Services is Boosting Growth - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - August 20th, 2020
- Insights on the Global Cloud Computing Market | COVID-19 Impact and Analysis of Related Markets Drivers, Opportunities and Threats | Technavio -... - August 20th, 2020
- Cloud Computing And Cybersecurity Need Better Oversight Now - Forbes - August 20th, 2020
- SKYY: A Cloud Computing ETF Not Overly Concentrated In The Big-3 - Seeking Alpha - August 20th, 2020
- Canvas and AWS Educate Make Extensive Teaching Resources Available for Cloud Computing Education - PRNewswire - August 20th, 2020
- Shipping and Maritime Industry Powered by Cloud Computing - Sea News - August 20th, 2020
- Bank of America, Daimler, and Apple partnering with IBM for confidential computing services - TechRepublic - August 20th, 2020
- Cloud Native Computing Foundation Grants Zalando the Top End User Award - PRNewswire - August 20th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing Platform as a Service (PaaS) Market 2020 Shares, Strategy, and Forecasts 2025 by Top Manufacturers- Cloudflare Windows Azure... - August 20th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Technologies Market: Global Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Size, Revenue and Forecast up to 2023 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Optical Component Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020