The cloud has become a giant profit machine for much of the tech world. Its pushed both Amazon. com (ticker: AMZN) and Microsoft (MSFT) to stratospheric valuations. But the next big thing in the cloud is, ironically, being enabled by a non-profit.
The Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) is the non-profit foundation that owns the Kubernetes trademark and hosts the Kubernetes open source project. Kubernetes, as Barrons explained recently, is making the cloud far more useful for running cloud-native applications. The Greek word for helmsman or pilot, Kubernetes is accelerating the transition from legacy client-server technology to the cloud.
Last month, more than 12,000 developers and executives gathered in San Diego at the largest annual Kubernetes conference called KubeCon, run by CNCF. Thats up from just 550 attendees four years ago. The developers are looking for ways to take advantage of Kubernetes and its management of containers stored in the cloud. CNCF is a subsidiary of the Linux Foundation, which supports the open-source Linux operating system used in PCs, enterprise servers, and in the cloud.
Containers hold an application, its settings, and other related instructions. The key to the container is that its essentially a free agent, not tied down to one operating system and able to run across different clouds.
Alphabets (ticker: GOOGL) Google long ago developed software called Borg to orchestrate its in-house containers for apps like Gmail and Google Maps, spinning them up and down as needed. In 2014, the search giant opted to make a version of Borg open source, calling it Kubernetes. Today, the major cloud providers all offer a Kubernetes option to customers.
This week, Barrons spoke to Dan Kohn, Executive Director of the Cloud Native Computing Foundation, about the future of Kubernetes.
Heres an edited transcript of our conversation:
Barrons: Whats the history of Kubernetes and the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF)?
Dan Kohn: The history here is that Google originally created the [Kubernetes open source] project back in 2014. The company brought in developers from a number of other companies Red Hat, IBM (IBM), Huawei and others. They wanted to get more adoption. So they said, who can we transfer the trademark to to ensure that there would be neutral governance around this project and thered be a fair way of deciding to use it for other sorts of things. So they came to the Linux Foundation and the Linux Foundation set up CNCF.
Why is Kubernetes such a sea change in computing, and why has it gained so much traction over the last few years?
The idea behind Kubernetes is to leverage the last decade of innovation. This is where the term container comes in -- the idea that you wrapped each of your microservices into its own container.
Instead of hiring a team of system administrators -- dozens or hundreds of people whose job it is to keep track and to make sure that all of those things are running within the rules -- you program that into software. And then Kubernetes is the platform -- the term is orchestration engine. It is the orchestrator that is making sure that all of your software is running the way its supposed to.
What are the key advantages of Kubernetes versus older models of computing?
There are three big advantages. The first one is resource efficiency, and this is the idea that by breaking up your application into lots of different pieces, running just the way they need to, you can run the same workloads on a smaller number of servers.
Number two is a higher development velocity. When you had one big monolith, its extremely difficult to make changes to it. But when you can break it up into microservices, each team can be responsible for its own part and can have it improve at its own rate. And that allows the whole system to improve much faster.
And the third one is about portability in hybrid cloud -- being able to move your workloads and not being locked into a single provider or a single vendor. Also one of the huge strengths of open source is that you ultimately have control over the technology your businesses rely on.
Are these key advantages of Kubernetes accelerating the trend to cloud native software development and cloud computing in general?
Definitely. Kubernetes ensures that workloads get the resources that they need. Were just seeing that adoption accelerate among our members, and we now have over 130 end user companies using these technologies [and paying dues to the foundation]. So its folks like Apple (AAPL) and Ant Financial, which does Alipay. Its a pretty spectacular group. Were seeing that story of cloud native adoption very consistent between them. [Editors note: Kubernetes is open source, so any company can use it for free without being a CNCF member.]
Who are the top contributors right now who are contributing the most to the Kubernetes project?
Theres 35,000 individual contributors, over 2,000 companies, and 1.1 million contributions. We list the top eight contributor companies - Google, Red Hat, VMware (VMW), Huawei, Microsoft, IBM, Fujitsu and a startup called Weaveworks. Googles contributions continue to go up, but their percentage as a whole has been consistently going down, as all these additional companies have gotten involved.
Thanks for your time, Dan.
See the rest here:
Why Kubernetes Is the Future of Cloud Computing - Barron's
- Healthcare Cloud Computing World Market Analyses; 2014-2019 & 2020-2026 - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- A Top Cloud Stock to Buy in 2020 and Hold for the Long Run - Motley Fool - January 19th, 2020
- What will drive 2020 in cloud governance? In a hybrid world, a solid strategy is key - Cloud Tech - January 19th, 2020
- Global IT compensation is at an all-time high, thanks to skills trainings - TechRepublic - January 19th, 2020
- Job of the Week: Head of Research Computing at the Norwich Biosciences Institute - insideHPC - January 19th, 2020
- Middle East Cloud Applications Market Worth $4.5 Billion by 2024 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PR Newswire UK - January 19th, 2020
- Blockchain is the top skill for 2020, LinkedIn says - CoinGeek - January 19th, 2020
- MongoDB: Riding The Data Wave - Seeking Alpha - January 19th, 2020
- Computing at the edge - ComputerWeekly.com - January 19th, 2020
- Cloud 'land grab' to descend on SA this year - ITWeb - January 19th, 2020
- Supermicro Expands Oracle Relationship with Best in Class Server Solutions - HPCwire - January 19th, 2020
- Blockchain crowned as hottest skill in 2020 ahead of AI and cloud computing - Geekymint.com - January 19th, 2020
- Latin America Cloud Computing Market Study, 2019-2023 - Market to Exhibit a CAGR of 22.4%, Driven by the Increasing Demand for Hybrid Cloud Solutions... - January 17th, 2020
- Top 7 emerging hybrid cloud computing trends to watch in 2020 - Express Computer - January 17th, 2020
- Middle East Cloud Applications Market Worth $4.5 Billion by 2024 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - Yahoo Finance - January 17th, 2020
- Socionext Side Steps the Pitfalls of Cloud Computing with New Edge Computing Devices - News - All About Circuits - January 17th, 2020
- LinkedIn: Blockchain beats AI and cloud computing for hottest skill in 2020 - The Next Web - January 17th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Education Sector Market 2019 Global Trends, Business Opportunities and Future Scenario Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 17th, 2020
- Majority of workloads will go to cloud in 2020 - TechHQ - January 17th, 2020
- What will the end of Windows 7 mean for business? - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - January 17th, 2020
- These are the most in-demand job skills in 2020, according to LinkedIn - CNBC - January 17th, 2020
- Alibaba's 10 Tech Trends to Watch in... - Alizila - January 17th, 2020
- 10 ETFs Crushing the Market to Start 2020 - Nasdaq - January 17th, 2020
- Wall Street expects gains for Alphabet and the rest of the $1 trillion gang to slow from here - CNBC - January 17th, 2020
- 5 things to know for January 17: Colt, CNet Training, AWS and HPE appointments - Data Economy - January 17th, 2020
- Xanadu Receives $4.4M Investment to Advance its Photonic Quantum Computing Technology - HPCwire - January 17th, 2020
- Top 5 Cloud Computing Trends of 2020 - Analytics Insight - January 5th, 2020
- Global Healthcare Cloud Computing Market to Reach $51.9B by 2024 - HITInfrastructure.com - January 5th, 2020
- 2020 vision: Synopsys predictions - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - January 5th, 2020
- Managing Cloud Security In A Multicloud Environment (Part 2) - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing for Business Operations Market 2019 SWOT Analysis Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure - Food & Beverage Herald - January 5th, 2020
- Microsoft Stock Soared in 2019. Heres Why It Could Continue to Outperform This Year. - Barron's - January 5th, 2020
- Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Size, Outlook on Key Growth Trends, Factors and Forecast to 2026 - ReportsPioneer - January 5th, 2020
- 3 Top Tech Stocks to Buy in January - The Motley Fool - January 5th, 2020
- The Cloud infrastructure race who is better: AWS or Azure? - TechiExpert.com - January 5th, 2020
- Centilytics Becomes the First Cloud Management Platform to Introduce Flat Fees and Widget-Based Pricing - EnterpriseTalk - January 5th, 2020
- Five Technology Trends in 2020 that Will Affect Your Business - eWeek - January 5th, 2020
- Disney+ Could Be Halfway to Its 5-Year Subscriber Goal Already - Nasdaq - January 5th, 2020
- Centilytics Becomes the First Cloud Management Platform to Introduce Flat Fees and Widget-Based Pricing - PRNewswire - December 30th, 2019
- 20 stocks to buy in 2020: Apple, Amazon and Disney are among favorites of Wall Street pros - USA TODAY - December 30th, 2019
- Introduction of 5G-Enabled Value Added Services to Boost APAC Telecom Sector Revenues, finds Frost & Sullivan - PRNewswire - December 30th, 2019
- What are the Top 3 Trends in Cloud Computing? - CIOReview - December 27th, 2019
- This Cloud Computing Stock Is Transforming the $1.2 Trillion Drug Industry - Money Morning - December 27th, 2019
- Debunking the Myths Associated with Migrating to the Cloud & Cloud Visibility - Security Boulevard - December 27th, 2019
- Protect the cloud with essential security training - Android Authority - December 27th, 2019
- Hybrid Cloud to Gain Traction in 2020: 5 Stocks in Focus - Zacks.com - December 27th, 2019
- Extending the Circle of Trust with Confidential Computing - Infosecurity Magazine - December 27th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Service Market Structure, Industry Inspection, and Forecast 2025 - Info Street Wire - December 27th, 2019
- Tech stocks are poised to close out their best year in a decade, propelled by Apple and AMD - CNBC - December 27th, 2019
- Can Google Ever Catch Amazon And Microsoft In The Cloud? - Benzinga - December 23rd, 2019
- GDPR and the Cloud - Helpful DPC Guidance for Organisations - Lexology - December 23rd, 2019
- HPE goes on the warpath, seeks to scalp AWS over vendor lock-in - The Register - December 23rd, 2019
- The rise of cloud computing is having an impact on data center efficiency and it's not great - CIO Dive - December 22nd, 2019
- NSF Awards Grant to Research Team to Develop Next-Generation Cloud Computing Testbed - HPCwire - December 22nd, 2019
- Data security is the biggest worry in cloud computing - ITProPortal - December 22nd, 2019
- Google reportedly set a goal of being a top-two cloud player by 2023 - CNBC - December 22nd, 2019
- National Science Foundation Awards Grant to Develop Next-Generation Cloud Computing Testbed Powered by Red Hat - Business Wire - December 22nd, 2019
- 2020 vision: Y-Soft print industry predictions - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - December 22nd, 2019
- Amazon used Bluetooth beacons to track attendees at its massive AWS cloud computing conference - Business Insider UK - December 22nd, 2019
- Solving the Data Explosion with Fog and Edge Computing - CDOTrends - December 22nd, 2019
- The true value of cloud-based AI isnt what you think - InfoWorld - December 22nd, 2019
- Raleigh analytics firm Cymatic named most promising startup finalist in The Cloud Awards - WRAL Tech Wire - December 22nd, 2019
- 12 Highlights from the First Annual Cloud Insight Jam - Solutions Review - December 22nd, 2019
- How the DOD Plans to Bring Its JEDI Cloud Contract to Life - FedTech Magazine - December 22nd, 2019
- 4 Ways Healthcare Is Being Transformed by the Cloud - HealthTech Magazine - December 22nd, 2019
- Will Amazon Make a Dent in Cisco's Revenue With This New Project? - The Motley Fool - December 22nd, 2019
- Scale Computing says it was proved right on edge over cloud - Data Economy - December 22nd, 2019
- Cloud computing IaaS in Life Science Market Growth Rate by 2026 Top Key Vendors, Trend, Segmentation, Drivers, Challenges and Forecast - Market... - December 22nd, 2019
- Global Cloud Computing Industry Emerging Trends and Prospects by leading Players Yahoo Inc. CISCO Systems, IBM Co., Hewlett Packard, Dell Inc. -... - December 22nd, 2019
- Cloud computing in 2020: views of the industry - Techerati - December 15th, 2019
- Cloud Computing and Security: The Risks You Need to Know - TechDecisions - December 15th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Security: Agencies Increased Their Use of the Federal Authorization Program, but Improved Oversight and Implementation Are Needed -... - December 15th, 2019
- Cloud Computing: Do You Really Need It? This Will Help You Decide! - Times of India - December 15th, 2019
- IBM Cloud Pak for Security: Full Protection Wherever Data Resides - eWeek - December 15th, 2019
- Cloud Computing in Education Sector Global Market Demand and Forecast 2026 Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, IBM, Aliyun, Google Cloud Platform -... - December 15th, 2019
- Microsoft is pushing forward with JEDI recruiting despite Amazon's legal fight - CNBC - December 15th, 2019
- Global Cloud Computing In Education Market | 2018-2023 Growth Analysis, Business Opportunities, Sales, Revenue, Gross Margin, Advance Technology and... - December 15th, 2019
- This Is How Amazon Web Services Is Turning Its Cloud Into A Supercomputer - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - December 15th, 2019
- Cloud computing IaaS in Life Science Market 2019 | Demand, Growth Analysis, Product Scope and Strategic Outlook 2019-2026 - Downey Magazine - December 15th, 2019
- Cloud Computing in Pharmaceutical Market is Responsible for Increasing Market Share and Forecast 2026 with Top Key Players: Carestream Health, VMware,... - December 15th, 2019