Accounting firms across the nation are knee-deep in tax season, but now, they are also knee-deep in a crisis no one could have predicted: the coronavirus pandemic. As the severity of the disease and its spread became clearer over the past week, many national firms have quickly put together plans for their staff to telecommute, and are handling client meetings remotely as much as possible.
Fortunately, in 2020, many business clients are used to handling meetings and document transmission remotely. As early as March 3, a spokesperson for Piascik, a firm based in Glen Allen, Virginia, said, Some of [the firms] clients have been grounded for several weeks, but most information can be transmitted electronically so its not slowing their side of things down.
As the month has progressed, so has the disease, and especially in areas hit hard by COVID-19, firms started to see the necessity for limiting in-person contact.
On March 10, BDO issued a statement to clients assuring them: Weve assembled a cross-disciplinary team, working with our crisis management and business continuity practice professionals, to monitor the COVID-19 public health emergency and to put measures in place that help ensure both safety for our people and business continuity for our clients.
The following day, Prager Metis announced its global offices would remain open. The firm added, We have business continuity plans in place that will enable us to continue to provide a high level of service in the event that our team must work remotely. These plans include the use of various technologies, as we remain committed to delivering the service that you are accustomed to receiving.
Rob Dutkiewicz, president of Southfield, Michigan-based firm Clayton & McKervey, acknowledged the value of in-person meetings, while reassuring clients that the firm has technology in place that would help them not skip a beat: If anyone from Clayton & McKervey is scheduled to work with you or your organization in a way that requires face-to-face time, we will be in touch to discuss options to safeguard both the health of your team and ours," he said. "I admit to preferring face-to-face meetings, but recognize that we have excellent technology which allows us to accomplish most of our work via phone, through electronic file sharing, or using our LifeSize technology. As a reminder, LifeSize is a tool similar to Skype, which allows for security-protected face time from the comfort of a remote location.
Most firm communications to clients hit the same notes: Their first concern is the health and well-being of staff and clients; they are following the guidelines of public health organizations like the World Health Organization and the Centers of Disease Control; and they will be using technology to accommodate any staff or client that needed to work with them remotely.
Going virtual on short notice
Over the weekend of March 16, New York City Mayor Bill De Blasio announced that city schools would be closing; the city of Hoboken, New Jersey, instituted a curfew, with other cities likely following suit; the Centers for Disease Control issued a guideline strongly discouraging gatherings of more than 50 people in New York; and the death toll worldwide surpassed 6,000. In short, midsized and large firms nationwide are now being forced to seriously consider going totally remote, quickly.
Large, national firms tend to have robust technological capabilities in place that allow for secure remote document transmission and remote work.
On Monday, March 16, Marcum LLP announced it would be going completely remote starting Tuesday through Sunday March 22, with plans to extend if necessary.
From an information technology perspective, we have processes to deploy immediately when necessary, said Molly Crane, co-chief human resources officer for Marcum, a global firm which also has offices in New York City as well as New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut. Weve had that in place already for remote work. Our IT team is very progressive, and at times like this were ahead of the curve.
Before going totally remote, Marcum allowed its employees to work from home if they wanted to, but it also allowed them other flexibilities, such as taking later trains to avoid rush hour crowds. The key, Crane said, is to be supportive of employees who want to go remote, and not penalize them in any way.
Smaller firms may find themselves scrambling to adjust to virtual work quickly, and as was made clear by the firms that have been proactive in their client communications, technology plays a major part in preparedness for such a need.
Beyond just discussing a preparedness plan, documentation and training are important, said Nicole Fluty, product manager of OfficeTools for AbacusNext, which provides cloud hosting and other collaboration tools for professional services firms. Its what schools do as well. They have a communications plan if we make a sudden change in how a firm is structured, how do we communicate this to staff and clients for full transparency? And if a firm has a smooth transition to going remote, client communication may not even need to happen they won't even notice.
- Cloud-based Database Market 2020 | Top Business Growing Strategies, Technological Innovation and Emerging Trends of Outlook To 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 23rd, 2020
- New study Global Cloud Based Database Market 2019 | Growth Opportunities, Investment Feasibility, Market Share And Forecast 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 23rd, 2020
- Disaster Recovery as a Service: Everything You Need to Know - The Fast Mode - May 23rd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Companies Help Customers Contain Costs Winning Trust and Loyalty - EnterpriseAI - May 17th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Research, Size, Share Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Type And Application To 2025 - News Distinct - May 17th, 2020
- Illinois advances pioneering proposal for utility rate recovery of cloud computing investments - Utility Dive - May 17th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 17th, 2020
- I.T. Ideas Inc. and Sytex Ltd win the 2020 Three Best Rated Award for Best IT Service Companies in Canada - PRUnderground - May 17th, 2020
- COVID-19: Responding to the business impacts of Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market: Extensive Analysis of Key Segments of the Industry and Emerging... - May 17th, 2020
- Global Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Outlook, Opportunities, Key Players, Growth, Competitive Landscape, Trends and Forecast by 2026 - Cole of... - May 17th, 2020
- These are the richest people in North Wales in 2020 - Daily Post - May 17th, 2020
- Global Cloud-based Database Market 2020 Growth, Innovations, Demand, Size, Revenue, Emerging Trends, Players, Type, Applications, New Development and... - May 17th, 2020
- Locked Down But Not Out, Hyderabadi Haleem Can Still Be Had this Ramzan - The Wire - May 17th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Benefits, Key Market Plans, Forthcoming Developments, Business Opportunities & Future Investments... - May 12th, 2020
- Bare Metal Cloud Market Industry Expected to Witness Significant Revenue Growth Through 2020-2025: IBM Corporation, Dell Inc., Rackspace Hosting Inc -... - May 12th, 2020
- ITRenew and Hydro66 Join Forces in Sweden to Reduce the Cost and Carbon Footprint of Hosting Data at Scale for Enterprises Across the EU - Yahoo... - May 12th, 2020
- Delivery Lead II - AWS job with AARP | 41014045 - Washington Post - May 12th, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Database Market Global Key Players, Trends and Technology Development Forecast to 2025. - Cole of Duty - May 12th, 2020
- Josiah Hincks ensure business continuity by going hosted with DPS - Legal Futures - May 12th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Infrastructure as a Service Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft... - May 12th, 2020
- Warren Buffett Probably Won't Buy These 3 Stocks, but You Probably Should - The Motley Fool - May 10th, 2020
- GitHub gets a built-in IDE with Codespaces, discussion forums and more - TechCrunch - May 10th, 2020
- Putting people first to enable effective working from home - Business Post - May 10th, 2020
- Multi-Cloud Platforms Offer Up Key New Capabilities and Differentiation - CXOToday.com - May 10th, 2020
- 5 benefits of switching to cloud hosting - KnowTechie - May 4th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Size by Top Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Outlook and Forecasts to 2026 - Latest Herald - May 4th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Size by Top Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Outlook and Forecasts to 2026 - Latest... - May 4th, 2020
- Top 10 Cloud Technology Market Expected to Witness Significant Growth in the Forecast Years 2017-2025 - Latest Herald - May 4th, 2020
- Yellowbrick Partners With ScaleMatrix to Expand Free Solution for COVID-19 Vaccine Research - Business Wire - May 4th, 2020
- June events 'on the horizon': Previewing more than 50 events across NC - WRAL Tech Wire - May 4th, 2020
- Battle Royale: Which of These Indian Video Conferencing Apps Would Win Govt Challenge? - 360TopNews - May 4th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 28th, 2020
- Without cloud computing, businesses would now be in even deeper trouble - ZDNet - April 28th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Size, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and... - April 28th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 28th, 2020
- Keep the cash flowing in your recruitment business - Onrec - April 28th, 2020
- CANCOM: Very high growth rates in the cloud segment and recurring revenues in the financial year 2019; moderate growth of Group expected for 2020. -... - April 28th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Innovations, Revenue Analysis, Competitive Landscape and Trends by Forecast 2025 - Latest Herald - April 28th, 2020
- Triangle event headliners: Previewing 70 events & deadlines through the end of May - WRAL Tech Wire - April 28th, 2020
- COVID-19 and the Migration to SAP S/4 HANA - JD Supra - April 23rd, 2020
- Provide remote access with cloud hosting - InnovationMap - April 23rd, 2020
- Case study: How to quickly build and deliver a cloud-agnostic product - Cloud Tech - April 23rd, 2020
- SVG SportsTech On Demand: EEG's John Voorheis on the Role of Falcon, Lexi in Live Stream Captioning - Sports Video Group - April 23rd, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Demand, Trend, Latest Techniques, Innovations, Applications, Analysis and 2025 Industry Growth... - April 23rd, 2020
- 4 Reasons to Move to QuickBooks Hosting in 2020 - HostReview.com - April 22nd, 2020
- Laplink Helps IT Transition to Azure Active Directory with Free Migration Tool - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2020
- Considering a move from colocation to cloud? Here's how to build a solid business case - Techerati - April 22nd, 2020
- Scaleway disarms its ARM64 cloud, cites unreliable hardware as the reason - The Register - April 22nd, 2020
- AWS doubles the performance of its Snowball Edge device and adds new software - SiliconANGLE - April 22nd, 2020
- AWS Cape Town region goes live - MyBroadband - April 22nd, 2020
- Valuation Risks Keep DocuSign Stock From Being a Buy - Investorplace.com - April 22nd, 2020
- Cloud hosting firm anticipating strong revenue and EBITDA improvements - The Business Desk - April 20th, 2020
- Cloudflare wants to put an end to BGP hijacking and leaks - TechRadar - April 20th, 2020
- CHILI publish Introduces CHILI publisher Online the SaaS Editing Solution for All Web2print Service Providers - What They Think - April 20th, 2020
- 8 Takeaways and Recommendations for the Age of AI in Asia - Fintech News Singapore - April 20th, 2020
- Business Continuity in the Wake of COVID-19 - Techwire.net - April 20th, 2020
- Remote learning: Telecom providers must come to the party - Daily Maverick - April 20th, 2020
- VAST Data's latest funding round has the company valued at $1.2B - DataCenterNews North America - April 20th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting vs Dedicated Server Hosting Which one is better? - PC-Tablet - April 9th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Research Report: Market Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Market Trends Adopted by the... - April 9th, 2020
- Demand for e-learning continues to grow as Moodle announces their newest Certified Moodle Partner: South Africa-based company The Training Room Online... - April 9th, 2020
- Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid Infrastructure Managed Services Market What Factors will drive the Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid... - April 9th, 2020
- Latest Technology Trends in Business - 1redDrop - April 9th, 2020
- Global Video Hosting Software Market Analysis, Growth By Top Companies, Trends By Types and Application, Forecast To 2024 - Science In Me - April 9th, 2020
- AWS: the worlds most comprehensive cloud platform - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - April 6th, 2020
- Summit Hosting Offers 90 Days of Free Cloud Hosting to Help Small and Medium Businesses Operate Remotely During COVID-19 - Benzinga - April 6th, 2020
- Why large non-profits opt for small hosting companies over the cloud - BestTechie - April 6th, 2020
- Special Report on Cloud ERP in the Aftermath of COVID-19 to Be Hosted by ERP Advisors Group - EconomyWatch.com - April 6th, 2020
- On the tech horizon: Here's a look at what's coming across NC in May - WRAL Tech Wire - April 6th, 2020
- Top 9 Reasons Your District Should be Moving to the Cloud - STN Media - School Transportation News - April 1st, 2020
- MSPs: Time to Reinvent - Channel Futures - April 1st, 2020
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2020 Industry Statistics on Key Trends, Growth and Opportunities to 2025 - Monroe Scoop - April 1st, 2020
- Health Catalyst Launches Four Additional COVID-19 Solutions and a Modular Bundle - The Herald Journal - April 1st, 2020
- Tech pitches in to fight COVID-19 pandemic - Computerworld - April 1st, 2020
- Transitioning Your Enterprise Workload? Read This First - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Hybrid cloud - The business infrastructure of tomorrow - Techerati - March 23rd, 2020
- On the horizon: 57 meetups, conferences & networking events across NC in April - WRAL Tech Wire - March 23rd, 2020
- The Four Main Reasons Your Cloud Spending Is Out of Control - Cloud Wars - March 21st, 2020
- Everyone needs the cloud now more than ever. So understand AWS, Azure and more for under $25. - The Next Web - March 21st, 2020
- Zoom warns investors they may become a victim of their own success as costs spiral - MSPoweruser - MSPoweruser - March 21st, 2020