By David LeibowitzFoothills Focus Columnist
As our days fill with talk of race, you wonder about the honesty of it all.
Blacks, whites, Latinos, Asians, so many shades of skin color, everyone screaming, posturing, but is anyone truly capable of telling hard truths?
You crave hearing someone plainly speak their mind without fear. So, you call the Rev. Jarrett Maupin.
To label Maupin a controversial figure is to do him little justice.
Loathed by many, called out by Blacks and whites alike, Maupin nonetheless has been a fixture in Arizona for more than 15 years. Say what you want about himand I havebut the reverend rarely holds his tongue for fear of bruising feelings on matters of race.
So, you ask him, point blank, what percentage of whites does he believe are racists?
If I just had to put a number on it, Id say about 10% have some kind of prejudice because of their upbringing or their estrangement from minorities, any number of factors, Maupin begins. Now if you get deep in the weeds of race relations, I would say maybe 40% of whites have what you might call subconscious bias.
This would be the you people crowd, Maupin explains: Whites who mean no offense but blurt out lines like, You people have really good soul food.
As he puts it: They dont mean anything by it but a compliment, but its interpreted the wrong way. That doesnt bother me actually. I get a smile out of it.
The reverends summation: The vast majority of white people are not racist.
Which raises a second question, equally blunt: What percentage of Blacks does he believe are prejudiced?
Now youre asking me a tough-a question, Maupin laughs. Ill tell you the honest-to-God truth. I think 50% of Blacks have some prejudice against whites because of things theyve experienced or heard first-hand that have sort of jaded them. Theyve come across that one in 10 white man or one in 10 white woman and theyve painted with a broad brush.
Considered from the perspective of statistics, Maupins response feels breathtaking. Of late, you have heard frequently that racism is a public health crisis, an affliction with all the virulence of COVID-19.
To date, not even 1% of Americans have tested positive for coronavirus. Maupin has just pegged the infectiousness of discrimination at a rate of one in two.
You wonder which cohort youre in, and your loved ones, friends, colleagues?
More to the point, you wonder if America has passed the point where a cure is possible, because unlike a virus, racism does not seem to fade due to herd immunity, at least not if the 155 years since Emancipation tell the tale.
But then Maupin preaches a little. He speaks about his grandmother, the great Opal Ellis, and the late Lincoln Ragsdale, Arizona civil rights icons, and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
He talks about South Africas recovery from apartheid and Americas need for a similar formal reckoning. He talks about his belief that fighting racism in 2020 is less about making new laws and more about changing minds. He shrugs off ideas like reparations or pumping endless tax dollars into public programs.
Brother Leibowitz, we cannot spend our way out of emotional discord, Maupin says. I wish I had a better answer. I know I probably sound like I dont have one.
Not at all, my friend. You sound like a man struggling with something hard. And you sound like someone open to baring your soul. Maybe that is the best two men from opposite worlds can do.
And maybeyou praythat is truly something.
- DeepMind extends hunt for the worlds best A.I. researchers to Toronto - CNBC - May 10th, 2021
- ECO V2 by Pangeanic: Deep Adaptive Machine Translation Document Translator and Anonymization Solution - PRNewswire - May 10th, 2021
- Matters of the Mind: Compassion fatigue, vicarious trauma and hopelessness - The Indian Express - May 10th, 2021
- Prison education alums work with undergrads on theater piece | Cornell Chronicle - Cornell Chronicle - May 10th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Insights, Deep Analysis of Key Vendor in the Industry 2021-2030 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies Limited,... - May 2nd, 2021
- Matisse & Sadko unveil the mind bending progressive tune 'Heal Me' - We Rave You - May 2nd, 2021
- The Deep-Sea Podcast review: The mind-boggling mysteries of the deep - New Scientist - May 1st, 2021
- Three Books: Zena Hitz *05 on a Life of the Mind - Princeton Alumni Weekly - May 1st, 2021
- Flavor 1st has Georgia on its mind | Produce News - TheProduceNews.com - May 1st, 2021
- Young attorney digs deep to make a genuine mark in the profession - Loop News Jamaica - May 1st, 2021
- Figures of Speech: 40 Ways to Improve your Writing - Visual Capitalist - May 1st, 2021
- Tony Bailie's Take on Nature: Bear in mind the simple principles of Leave No Trace - The Irish News - May 1st, 2021
- Food & Wine names 10 best pizza states in America and New York isnt in the top spot - KXAN.com - May 1st, 2021
- Essence Group Announces 'Peace of Mind' Strategy as Top Objective of All Future IoT Products and Services - PRNewswire - April 28th, 2021
- Centring of The Mind - Economic Times - April 28th, 2021
- PLU professors and students dive deep into the psychology of the pandemic - Pacific Lutheran University - April 28th, 2021
- Derby Undercard: Eclipse Winner Whitmore is a fan favorite in deep field of 13 for the Churchill Downs - Past The Wire - April 28th, 2021
- How Luxury Travel Is Leading the Recovery: A Skift Deep Dive - Skift - April 28th, 2021
- 'I recall it with deep despair': North Sea marks five years since Norway helicopter crash - News for the Oil and Gas Sector - Energy Voice - April 28th, 2021
- Single-Use Plastics Found at the Deepest Points of the Ocean - Technology Networks - April 28th, 2021
- Global Ai In Healthcare Market Top 10 Key players in 2021 |DeepMind Technologies Limited, IBM Corporation, Nuance Communications Inc, Microsoft,... - April 28th, 2021
- Has pharma missed the boat? - PharmaTimes - April 28th, 2021
- BlanQuil weighted blankets: Products and brand review - Medical News Today - April 28th, 2021
- A New Book Explores the Connections Between Music, Physics, and Neuroscience - Columbia University - April 28th, 2021
- Global Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market (2020) to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Deep Relax, Smiling Mind, Inner Explorer, Inc., Committee for... - April 19th, 2021
- Line of Duty, season 6 episode 5 recap: Davidson is in deep but who fired those cliffhanger shots? - The Telegraph - April 19th, 2021
- Calvin University Selects Noah Toly As Provost - News - Calvin News - April 19th, 2021
- I'm an insomniac who's tried everything from meds to sleep sprays. This meditation app is the only thing that' - Business Insider India - April 19th, 2021
- 'We've had this in mind for some time' - Gosden aims for another Blue Riband win - Racing Post - April 19th, 2021
- What two pieces of unrelated pop culture are forever connected in your mind? - The A.V. Club - April 19th, 2021
- Bringing China-US ties where they need to be - Chinadaily.com.cn - China Daily - April 8th, 2021
- Deep in the heart of the Texas Butterfly Ranch - The Picayune - April 8th, 2021
- Cultivating a Diverse and Inclusive Culture: Recruiting - ATD - ATD - ATD - April 8th, 2021
- The Mavericks Who Brought AI to the World - Review of Genius Makers by Cade Metz - Forbes - April 8th, 2021
- 'I can't unsee them': Rockland woman copes with trauma from Haiti earthquake by writing - Enterprise News - April 8th, 2021
- Q&A: How The Atlantic's Ed Yong navigated a year of deep coronavirus coverage - Poynter - April 8th, 2021
- Healthcare AI Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- Apple, GE Healthcare, Google Deepmind Health, IBM... - April 8th, 2021
- Easter is when we go deep into the enduring stories of death and life - The National - April 4th, 2021
- How Open Source is Driving the Future of Data Science - RTInsights - April 4th, 2021
- Space Regime in Deep Distress: Experts The Diplomat - The Diplomat - April 4th, 2021
- Gulf News webinar to focus on fasting with health conditions during Ramadan | Uae - Gulf News - April 4th, 2021
- When it rains, it floods, and you better know what to do - Columbia Daily Herald - April 4th, 2021
- Opera Meets Film: How Opera is Used to Immerse Us Deeper into Anthony's Mind in 'The Father' - OperaWire - April 2nd, 2021
- Dive Deep Into These Mind-Blowing Underwater Photographer of the Year Entries - Yahoo News - April 2nd, 2021
- Sunfield Farm and Waldorf School dig deep to the root of learning - Port Townsend Leader - April 2nd, 2021
- Dear Eonni: A Filipino UAENA respects Lilac singer IU as a lyricist because her songs are 'active and awake' - PINKVILLA - April 2nd, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Is Set to Experience Revolutionary Growth by 2030 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies Limited KSU | The... - April 2nd, 2021
- Brain Tracking: Unraveling Mysteries of the Human Mind - WGEM - April 2nd, 2021
- On My Mind: The Solution To Gun Violence? More Guns, Apparently - WFAE - April 2nd, 2021
- System on Chips And The Modern Day Motherboards - Analytics India Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Drug R&D: Market By New Business Developments, Innovations, And Top Companies Forecast To 2025 | Gatehouse Bio, Google... - April 2nd, 2021
- Artificial intelligence kept expanding through a turbulent year, with some exceptions - ZDNet - March 21st, 2021
- The Book Corner: The Deep by Rivers Solomon, Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, and Jonathan Snipes - University Press - March 21st, 2021
- 12-foot-deep sinkhole 'accidentally' discovered near Williams Arts Center The Lafayette - The Lafayette - March 21st, 2021
- DeepMind is building a team of A.I. researchers in New York - CNBC - March 16th, 2021
- AI & Robotics in the Global Defense Industry to Reach $61 Billion by 2027 - Robotics Anticipated to Account for the Largest Share of Expenditure -... - March 16th, 2021
- Your horoscope for the week ahead: Mercury enters reflective Pisces allowing deep insights to flourish - CBC.ca - March 16th, 2021
- The Father (2021) Movie Review | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - March 16th, 2021
- On My Mind: Paying Our Emotional Bills - WFAE - March 16th, 2021
- The Secret Auction that Set Off the Race for AI Supremacy - WIRED - March 16th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Growth Opportunities Witnessed Around the World to Support Expansion by 2030 | DeepMind Technologies Limited, IBM Corporation,... - March 16th, 2021
- Tai Chi vs. Yoga: What To Know About These Mind-Body Practices - Women's Health - March 16th, 2021
- From a Faith Perspective: Daylight Savings Time reminds us the long winter of COVID is almost over - Bucks County Courier Times - March 16th, 2021
- Fire Brings Down The Internet, NFT Mania And More: Weekly Top News - Analytics India Magazine - March 16th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Is A Gamechanger In The Battery Boom - OilPrice.com - March 16th, 2021
- Cold shower? The routine of the most productive people when they wake up - Entrepreneur - March 16th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Huge Business Opportunity, Size growth, Top Leaders Acquisition analysis by 2030 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind... - March 16th, 2021
- Mind your head - Law Society of Ireland Gazette - March 16th, 2021
- Mind Cure Health Appoints Rob Hill To Board Of Directors - The Deep Dive - February 28th, 2021
- Quotes of the quarter: Pipeline executives talk energy transition, deep freeze - S&P Global - February 28th, 2021
- Billie Eilish: The Worlds A Little Blurry review: inside the mind of pops teen pioneer - NME.com - February 28th, 2021
- Why Plug Power Stock Is Deep in the Red Today - Motley Fool - February 28th, 2021
- WandaVision Recap: How Wanda Became the Scarlet Witch - The Ringer - February 28th, 2021
- Deeper Study on Breathing and Five Important Deep Breathing Techniques - Part 1: NJ Reddy, YPV Sadhana - Free Press Journal - February 28th, 2021
- From vision to reality: the rise of Artificial Intelligence in the healthcare sector - Health Europa - February 16th, 2021
- Henry Louis Gates Jr. takes viewers on a deep and joyous journey through history of 'The Black Church' - Worcester Telegram - February 16th, 2021
- Who Are the Covid Investigators? - The Wall Street Journal - February 16th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Growth Strategies And Competition Background Through 2020 To 2030 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies... - February 16th, 2021
- Inside the five-year battle food companies have fought to resist stricter labelling norms - Mint - February 16th, 2021
- Mind Cure Sees Warrants Approved For Trading | the deep dive - The Deep Dive - February 16th, 2021