The first time I visited Tbilisi was for a badminton competition in the eighties.
I won it, and since then Georgia has been on my mind; whether I watch Georgian movies, listen to Georgian music, enjoy Georgian hospitality or just talk to my Georgian colleagues; I have always shared Georgias aspiration for freedom and democracy and admired the determination and pride of Georgians.
Georgia is not only one of the three associated countries on the European Unions Eastern flank, it is also an oasis of democracy, peace and prosperity in an otherwise complex and conflict-ridden region: the Caucasus.
Georgias special relationship with the EU is underpinned by the 2014 Association Agreement, which includes a Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area. Since March 2017, almost 500,000 Georgians have benefitted from visa-free travel to the Schengen area, bringing our contact to a new level.
As a European, I am thrilled to see that support for EU integration remains extremely high in Georgia - more than 80 percent - a figure that any EU Member State could only envy
Georgia has gained a special place among our Eastern partners by making continued, strenuous efforts to live up to its commitments under the Association Agreement and further deepening its political and economic integration with the EU.
Often, the country goes beyond the mere requirements of the Agreement, launching ambitious, full-scale reforms under its unilateral Roadmap to the EU.
Of course, further harmonisation efforts are still needed, for example when it comes to promotion of gender equality in the economic and political spheres or the protection of vulnerable groups.
These efforts will require continued political will as well as a strengthened administrative capacity, under the scrutiny of a vibrant civil society. I believe that our inter- parliamentary dialogue has a crucial role to play here.
The EU-Georgia Parliamentary Association Committee, which I have the honour to co-chair with Georgian MP David Songulashvili, is tasked with scrutinising the implementation of the Association Agreement and addressing recommendations to the Association Council.
In this format, Members of the European Parliament and of the Parliament of Georgia review all the topics of interest for EU-Georgia relations.
Needless to say, we closely follow present political tensions between the ruling majority and the opposition parties. I very much regret this polarisation of the political landscape.
However, I truly believe that recent steps to defuse tensions will convince parliamentarians from all sides to engage constructively in the negotiations on the reform of the electoral system in the run-up to this autumns parliamentary elections.
By doing so, they will serve the greater interest of the Georgian people and their chosen Euro- Atlantic path. We should not forget that part of Georgia is still occupied, and Russian armed forces are stationed in 20 percent of Georgias territory.
Puppet regimes have been installed in the occupied region of Abkhazia and South Ossetia, where human rights violations are widespread, the economy is in dire straits and emigration is immense.
We must remain firmly committed to the EUs policy of supporting Georgias territorial integrity and sovereignty within its internationally recognised borders and engagement for peaceful conflict resolution.
I would like to conclude with two remarks: one as a European, and one as an Estonian.
As a European, I am thrilled to see that support for EU integration remains extremely high in Georgia - more than 80 percent - a figure that any EU Member State could only envy.
As an Estonian, who has seen my country going through the same reforms and challenges, I strongly believe that the future of Georgia lies in the hands of the Georgian people. Nothing is impossible for them if they really want it.
- DeepMind extends hunt for the worlds best A.I. researchers to Toronto - CNBC - May 10th, 2021
- ECO V2 by Pangeanic: Deep Adaptive Machine Translation Document Translator and Anonymization Solution - PRNewswire - May 10th, 2021
- Matters of the Mind: Compassion fatigue, vicarious trauma and hopelessness - The Indian Express - May 10th, 2021
- Prison education alums work with undergrads on theater piece | Cornell Chronicle - Cornell Chronicle - May 10th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Insights, Deep Analysis of Key Vendor in the Industry 2021-2030 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies Limited,... - May 2nd, 2021
- Matisse & Sadko unveil the mind bending progressive tune 'Heal Me' - We Rave You - May 2nd, 2021
- The Deep-Sea Podcast review: The mind-boggling mysteries of the deep - New Scientist - May 1st, 2021
- Three Books: Zena Hitz *05 on a Life of the Mind - Princeton Alumni Weekly - May 1st, 2021
- Flavor 1st has Georgia on its mind | Produce News - TheProduceNews.com - May 1st, 2021
- Young attorney digs deep to make a genuine mark in the profession - Loop News Jamaica - May 1st, 2021
- Figures of Speech: 40 Ways to Improve your Writing - Visual Capitalist - May 1st, 2021
- Tony Bailie's Take on Nature: Bear in mind the simple principles of Leave No Trace - The Irish News - May 1st, 2021
- Food & Wine names 10 best pizza states in America and New York isnt in the top spot - KXAN.com - May 1st, 2021
- Essence Group Announces 'Peace of Mind' Strategy as Top Objective of All Future IoT Products and Services - PRNewswire - April 28th, 2021
- Centring of The Mind - Economic Times - April 28th, 2021
- PLU professors and students dive deep into the psychology of the pandemic - Pacific Lutheran University - April 28th, 2021
- Derby Undercard: Eclipse Winner Whitmore is a fan favorite in deep field of 13 for the Churchill Downs - Past The Wire - April 28th, 2021
- How Luxury Travel Is Leading the Recovery: A Skift Deep Dive - Skift - April 28th, 2021
- 'I recall it with deep despair': North Sea marks five years since Norway helicopter crash - News for the Oil and Gas Sector - Energy Voice - April 28th, 2021
- Single-Use Plastics Found at the Deepest Points of the Ocean - Technology Networks - April 28th, 2021
- Global Ai In Healthcare Market Top 10 Key players in 2021 |DeepMind Technologies Limited, IBM Corporation, Nuance Communications Inc, Microsoft,... - April 28th, 2021
- Has pharma missed the boat? - PharmaTimes - April 28th, 2021
- BlanQuil weighted blankets: Products and brand review - Medical News Today - April 28th, 2021
- A New Book Explores the Connections Between Music, Physics, and Neuroscience - Columbia University - April 28th, 2021
- Global Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market (2020) to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Deep Relax, Smiling Mind, Inner Explorer, Inc., Committee for... - April 19th, 2021
- Line of Duty, season 6 episode 5 recap: Davidson is in deep but who fired those cliffhanger shots? - The Telegraph - April 19th, 2021
- Calvin University Selects Noah Toly As Provost - News - Calvin News - April 19th, 2021
- I'm an insomniac who's tried everything from meds to sleep sprays. This meditation app is the only thing that' - Business Insider India - April 19th, 2021
- 'We've had this in mind for some time' - Gosden aims for another Blue Riband win - Racing Post - April 19th, 2021
- What two pieces of unrelated pop culture are forever connected in your mind? - The A.V. Club - April 19th, 2021
- Bringing China-US ties where they need to be - Chinadaily.com.cn - China Daily - April 8th, 2021
- Deep in the heart of the Texas Butterfly Ranch - The Picayune - April 8th, 2021
- Cultivating a Diverse and Inclusive Culture: Recruiting - ATD - ATD - ATD - April 8th, 2021
- The Mavericks Who Brought AI to the World - Review of Genius Makers by Cade Metz - Forbes - April 8th, 2021
- 'I can't unsee them': Rockland woman copes with trauma from Haiti earthquake by writing - Enterprise News - April 8th, 2021
- Q&A: How The Atlantic's Ed Yong navigated a year of deep coronavirus coverage - Poynter - April 8th, 2021
- Healthcare AI Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- Apple, GE Healthcare, Google Deepmind Health, IBM... - April 8th, 2021
- Easter is when we go deep into the enduring stories of death and life - The National - April 4th, 2021
- How Open Source is Driving the Future of Data Science - RTInsights - April 4th, 2021
- Space Regime in Deep Distress: Experts The Diplomat - The Diplomat - April 4th, 2021
- Gulf News webinar to focus on fasting with health conditions during Ramadan | Uae - Gulf News - April 4th, 2021
- When it rains, it floods, and you better know what to do - Columbia Daily Herald - April 4th, 2021
- Opera Meets Film: How Opera is Used to Immerse Us Deeper into Anthony's Mind in 'The Father' - OperaWire - April 2nd, 2021
- Dive Deep Into These Mind-Blowing Underwater Photographer of the Year Entries - Yahoo News - April 2nd, 2021
- Sunfield Farm and Waldorf School dig deep to the root of learning - Port Townsend Leader - April 2nd, 2021
- Dear Eonni: A Filipino UAENA respects Lilac singer IU as a lyricist because her songs are 'active and awake' - PINKVILLA - April 2nd, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Is Set to Experience Revolutionary Growth by 2030 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies Limited KSU | The... - April 2nd, 2021
- Brain Tracking: Unraveling Mysteries of the Human Mind - WGEM - April 2nd, 2021
- On My Mind: The Solution To Gun Violence? More Guns, Apparently - WFAE - April 2nd, 2021
- System on Chips And The Modern Day Motherboards - Analytics India Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Drug R&D: Market By New Business Developments, Innovations, And Top Companies Forecast To 2025 | Gatehouse Bio, Google... - April 2nd, 2021
- Artificial intelligence kept expanding through a turbulent year, with some exceptions - ZDNet - March 21st, 2021
- The Book Corner: The Deep by Rivers Solomon, Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, and Jonathan Snipes - University Press - March 21st, 2021
- 12-foot-deep sinkhole 'accidentally' discovered near Williams Arts Center The Lafayette - The Lafayette - March 21st, 2021
- DeepMind is building a team of A.I. researchers in New York - CNBC - March 16th, 2021
- AI & Robotics in the Global Defense Industry to Reach $61 Billion by 2027 - Robotics Anticipated to Account for the Largest Share of Expenditure -... - March 16th, 2021
- Your horoscope for the week ahead: Mercury enters reflective Pisces allowing deep insights to flourish - CBC.ca - March 16th, 2021
- The Father (2021) Movie Review | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - March 16th, 2021
- On My Mind: Paying Our Emotional Bills - WFAE - March 16th, 2021
- The Secret Auction that Set Off the Race for AI Supremacy - WIRED - March 16th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Growth Opportunities Witnessed Around the World to Support Expansion by 2030 | DeepMind Technologies Limited, IBM Corporation,... - March 16th, 2021
- Tai Chi vs. Yoga: What To Know About These Mind-Body Practices - Women's Health - March 16th, 2021
- From a Faith Perspective: Daylight Savings Time reminds us the long winter of COVID is almost over - Bucks County Courier Times - March 16th, 2021
- Fire Brings Down The Internet, NFT Mania And More: Weekly Top News - Analytics India Magazine - March 16th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Is A Gamechanger In The Battery Boom - OilPrice.com - March 16th, 2021
- Cold shower? The routine of the most productive people when they wake up - Entrepreneur - March 16th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Huge Business Opportunity, Size growth, Top Leaders Acquisition analysis by 2030 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind... - March 16th, 2021
- Mind your head - Law Society of Ireland Gazette - March 16th, 2021
- Mind Cure Health Appoints Rob Hill To Board Of Directors - The Deep Dive - February 28th, 2021
- Quotes of the quarter: Pipeline executives talk energy transition, deep freeze - S&P Global - February 28th, 2021
- Billie Eilish: The Worlds A Little Blurry review: inside the mind of pops teen pioneer - NME.com - February 28th, 2021
- Why Plug Power Stock Is Deep in the Red Today - Motley Fool - February 28th, 2021
- WandaVision Recap: How Wanda Became the Scarlet Witch - The Ringer - February 28th, 2021
- Deeper Study on Breathing and Five Important Deep Breathing Techniques - Part 1: NJ Reddy, YPV Sadhana - Free Press Journal - February 28th, 2021
- From vision to reality: the rise of Artificial Intelligence in the healthcare sector - Health Europa - February 16th, 2021
- Henry Louis Gates Jr. takes viewers on a deep and joyous journey through history of 'The Black Church' - Worcester Telegram - February 16th, 2021
- Who Are the Covid Investigators? - The Wall Street Journal - February 16th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Growth Strategies And Competition Background Through 2020 To 2030 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies... - February 16th, 2021
- Inside the five-year battle food companies have fought to resist stricter labelling norms - Mint - February 16th, 2021
- Mind Cure Sees Warrants Approved For Trading | the deep dive - The Deep Dive - February 16th, 2021