Modern public-key encryption is currently good enough to meet enterprise requirements, according to experts. Most cyberattacks target different parts of the security stack these days unwary users in particular. Yet this stalwart building block of present-day computing is about to be eroded by the advent of quantum computing within the next decade, according to experts.
About 99% of online encryption is vulnerable to quantum computers, said Mark Jackson, scientific lead for Cambridge Quantum Computing, at the Inside Quantum Technology conference in Boston on Wednesday.
Quantum computers those that use the principles of quantum entanglement and superposition to represent information, instead of electrical bits are capable of performing certain types of calculation orders of magnitude more quickly than classical, electronic computers. Theyre more or less fringe technology in 2019, but their development has accelerated in recent years, and experts at the IQT conference say that a spike in deployment could occur as soon as 2024.
Lawrence Gasman, president of IQT, compared the current state of quantum computing development to that of fiber-optic networking in the 1980s a technology with a lot of promise, but one still missing one or two key pieces.
Optical amplifiers were what got optical networking going, he said. Without them, theyd really have never turned into what they are today.
Pure research, the military, and the financial sector are the prime movers behind quantum computing in general and quantum security in particular, according to Gasman. The latter, in particular, has been an enthusiastic early adopter of the technology.
If you look at the amount of money lost to credit card fraud, thats a huge driver, he noted.
A shift to either different types of classical encryption some algorithms have proven to be resistant to quantum computing or to quantum computing-based security is going to be necessary.
Quantum computing-based security technology is effective because it relies on two of the best-known properties of quantum physics the idea that observing a particle changes its behavior, and that paired or entangled particles share the same set of properties as the other.
What this means, in essence, is that both parties to a message can share an identical cipher key, thanks to quantum entanglement. In addition, should a third party attempt to eavesdrop on that sharing, it would break the symmetry of the entangled pairs, and it would be instantly apparent that something fishy was going on.
If everything is working perfectly, everything should be in sync. But if something goes wrong, it means youll see a discrepancy, said Jackson.
Its like a soap bubble, according to Brian Lowy, vice president at ID Quantique SA, a Switzerland-based quantum computing vendor mess with it and it pops.
At some point, youre going to have to factor [quantum computing], he said, noting that, even now, bad actors could download encrypted information now, planning to crack its defenses once quantum computing is equal to the task.
The precise day of the shift will vary by industry, according to Paul Lucier, vice president of sales and business development at quantum computing security vendor Isara.
Devices that have short usage life like smartphones arent in immediate danger, because quantum security technology ought to be sufficiently miniaturized by the time quantum codebreaking is powerful enough to undercut modern public-key encryption.
Its verticals like the automotive industry and the infrastructure sector that have to worry, Lucier said. Anything with a long service life and anything thats expensive to repair and replace is potentially vulnerable.
Thats not to say that its time to rip-and-replace immediately. Standards bodies are expected to approve quantum-safe encryption algorithms at around the same time experts are predicting that quantum-powered decryption threatens modern security, so a hybrid approach is possible.
But the threat is very real, so much so that the National Quantum Initiative Act became law in December of last year. The act calls for official advisory groups to be formed by the executive branch, and directs research funding for further exploration of quantum computing technology.
So be prepared, the experts at the IQT conference all agreed.
We think by 2026, if youre not ready with your systems prepared, youre taking a giant risk, said Lucier.
Continue reading here:
Quantum computing will break your encryption in a few ...
- Better encryption for wireless privacy at the dawn of quantum computing - UC Riverside - June 30th, 2020
- Menten AIs combination of buzzword bingo brings AI and quantum computing to drug discovery - TechCrunch - June 30th, 2020
- Paper Outlines the Role of ERM in Managing Risks Related to New Technologies - Business Wire - June 30th, 2020
- Airbus CTO Grazia Vittadini: Aviation needs to tap emerging technologies, diverse talent to get climate-neutral - Verdict Medical Devices - Medical... - June 30th, 2020
- Is IT regulation in the DARQ? - IT PRO - June 30th, 2020
- Sen. Warner: 5G ORAN Bill Added to Must-Pass Legislation - Multichannel News - June 30th, 2020
- Is teleportation possible? Yes, in the quantum world - University of Rochester - June 25th, 2020
- JPMorgan Shows Its Chops in Quantum Computing. Heres Why It Matters. - Barron's - June 25th, 2020
- Physicist Chen Wang Receives DOE Early Career Award - UMass News and Media Relations - June 25th, 2020
- Teleportation Is Indeed Possible At Least in the Quantum World - SciTechDaily - June 25th, 2020
- Cambridge Innovation Capital plc: Annual results for the year ended 31 March 2020 - PharmiWeb.com - June 25th, 2020
- Docuseries takes viewers into the lives and labs of scientists - UChicago News - June 25th, 2020
- Should children be taught quantum computing and other sciences that are studied in college? - Explica - June 25th, 2020
- Canadas 5G Moment Of Truth - Forbes - June 25th, 2020
- The Inter-dependence of Quantum Computing and Robotics - Analytics Insight - June 21st, 2020
- 2 thoughts on Learn Quantum Computing With Spaced Repetition - Hackaday - June 21st, 2020
- New Way to Assess the Performance of Quantum Devices - AZoQuantum - June 21st, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market 2020 Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Learn Quantum Computing With Spaced Repetition - Hackaday - June 21st, 2020
- GlobalQuantum Software Market Report 2020 Sales Forecast to Grow Negatively in Western Regio post COVID 19 Impact Analysis Updated Edition Top Players... - June 21st, 2020
- Is China Threatening Americas Dominance In The Digital Space? - Forbes - June 21st, 2020
- Lockheed's ventures arm backs quantum computing and training tech firms - Washington Technology - June 18th, 2020
- Brighton scientists in the race to build quantum computer - The Argus - June 18th, 2020
- Toronto-based Association Quantum appoints Northern Hive PR - Business Up North - June 18th, 2020
- NTT Research Builds Upon its Micro Technologies and Cryptography Expertise with Distinguished New Hires - Business Wire - June 18th, 2020
- Coming out of lockdown is harder than going in - Science Business - June 18th, 2020
- Northern Hive PR rides a wave of new client wins - Business Up North - June 18th, 2020
- Global and Asia Pacific Quantum Computing Market Research Report 2020 CoronaVirus Efect on Industry and Companies, Anyon Systems, Cambridge Quantum... - June 17th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market: Segmentation, Industry trends and Development to 2019-2029 - The Canton Independent Sentinel - June 17th, 2020
- Archer touts performing early-stage validation of quantum computing chip - ZDNet - June 16th, 2020
- Quantum computing is the next big leap - Lexology - June 16th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Analysis, Trends, Top Manufacturers, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 16th, 2020
- The technical realities of functional quantum computers - is Googles ten-year plan for Quantum Computing viable? - Diginomica - June 13th, 2020
- Quantum Computing And The End Of Encryption - Hackaday - June 13th, 2020
- First master's thesis in Quantum Computing defended at the University of Tartu - Baltic Times - June 13th, 2020
- What's New in HPC Research: Hermione, Thermal Neutrons, Certifications & More - HPCwire - June 13th, 2020
- Preparing for the Jobs of the Future: The Coding School and MIT Physicists Are Making Quantum Computing Accessible to High School Students This Summer... - June 5th, 2020
- QCI Achieves Best-in-Class Performance with its Mukai Quantum-Ready Application Platform - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - June 5th, 2020
- India and Australia pump $12.7 million into AI, quantum computing and robotics renewing their cyber and crit - Business Insider India - June 5th, 2020
- Spain's CaixaBank Teams With IBM Services to Accelerate Cloud Transformation and Innovation in the Financial Services - AiThority - June 5th, 2020
- Riverlane partners with biotech company Astex - Cambridge Network - June 5th, 2020
- Faujis Tour of Duty - The Statesman - June 5th, 2020
- Why your website may be packed with malware - TechHQ - June 5th, 2020
- House Introduces the Advancing Quantum Computing Act - Lexology - May 30th, 2020
- The Role of Quantum Computing in Online Education - MarketScale - May 30th, 2020
- The University of New Mexico Becomes IBM Q Hub's First University Member - HPCwire - May 30th, 2020
- Riverlane partner with bio-tech company Astex - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - May 30th, 2020
- Bipartisan push for US$100 billion investment in science - University World News - May 30th, 2020
- What's New in HPC Research: Astronomy, Weather, Security & More - HPCwire - May 30th, 2020
- Total to crunch the numbers on 'nanoporus' materials to hone carbon capture - Recharge - May 24th, 2020
- Total partners with Cambridge Quantum Computing on CO2 capture - Green Car Congress - May 20th, 2020
- Seeqc UK Awarded 1.8M In Grants To Advance Quantum Computing Initiatives - Business Wire - May 20th, 2020
- Atos and CSC empower the Finnish quantum research community with Atos Quantum Learning Machine - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - May 20th, 2020
- Light Waves Used to Access Unique Properties of the Quantum World - AZoQuantum - May 20th, 2020
- Weekly Update: Global Coronavirus Impact and Implications on Quantum Computing Market Forecast Report Offers Key Insights, Key Drivers, Technology -... - May 20th, 2020
- Quantum computing will (eventually) help us discover vaccines in days - VentureBeat - May 16th, 2020
- Registration Open for Inaugural IEEE International Conference on Quantum Computing and Engineering (QCE20) - PRNewswire - May 16th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- The Global Quantum Dots Market is expected to grow from USD 2,581.12 Million in 2018 to USD 10,423.13 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound Annual... - May 16th, 2020
- Quantum computing analytics: Put this on your IT roadmap - TechRepublic - May 15th, 2020
- David Graves to Head New Research at PPPL for Plasma Applications in Industry and Quantum Information Science - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing... - May 15th, 2020
- Registration Open for Inaugural IEEE International Conference on Quantum Computing and Engineering - HPCwire - May 15th, 2020
- Seeqc UK Awarded 1.8M in Grants to Advance Quantum Computing Initiatives - HPCwire - May 15th, 2020
- Yale College 2020: Meet some of the graduates - Yale News - May 15th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Analysis, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - News Distinct - May 15th, 2020
- Video: The Future of Quantum Computing with IBM - insideHPC - May 14th, 2020
- Topological Quantum Computing Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- IonQ CEO Peter Chapman on how quantum computing will change the future of AI - VentureBeat - May 14th, 2020
- New Tool Could Pave the Way for Future Insights in Quantum Chemistry - AZoQuantum - May 14th, 2020
- Daily AI Roundup: The Coolest Things on Earth Today - AiThority - May 14th, 2020
- Research Fellow in Geometric Topology job with UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS | 206608 - Times Higher Education (THE) - May 14th, 2020
- Archer to work alongside IBM in progressing quantum computing - ZDNet - May 6th, 2020
- A Discovery That Long Eluded Physicists: Superconductivity to the Edge - SciTechDaily - May 6th, 2020
- Physicists Criticize Stephen Wolfram's 'Theory of Everything' - Scientific American - May 6th, 2020
- Virtual ICM Seminar: 'HPC Simulations of the Early Universe' - HPCwire - May 6th, 2020
- 9 great reads from CNET this week - CNET - May 4th, 2020
- Devs: Here's the real science behind the quantum computing TV show - New Scientist News - May 4th, 2020
- IBM Announces a Quantum Challenge With Four Exercises to Solve in 4 Days - Database Trends and Applications - May 4th, 2020
- New Princeton study takes superconductivity to the edge - Princeton University - May 4th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Inclinations And Development Status Highlighted During Forecast Period 2019-2026 - Latest Herald - April 29th, 2020