The increasing reliance on AI systems also poses potential risks.
Underuse of AI is considered as a major threat: missed opportunities for the EU could mean poor implementation of major programmes, such as the EU Green Deal, losing competitive advantage towards other parts of the world, economic stagnation and poorer possibilities for people. Underuse could derive from public and business' mistrust in AI, poor infrastructure, lack of initiative, low investments, or, since AI's machine learning is dependent on data, from fragmented digital markets.
Overuse can also be problematic: investing in AI applications that prove not to be useful or applying AI to tasks for which it is not suited, for example using it to explain complex societal issues.
An important challenge is to determine who is responsible for damage caused by an AI-operated device or service: in an accident involving a self-driving car. Should the damage be covered by the owner, the car manufacturer or the programmer?
If the producer was absolutely free of accountability, there might be no incentive to provide good product or service and it could damage peoples trust in the technology; but regulations could also be too strict and stifle innovation.
The results that AI produces depend on how it is designed and what data it uses. Both design and data can be intentionally or unintentionally biased. For example, some important aspects of an issue might not be programmed into the algorithm or might be programmed to reflect and replicate structural biases. In adcition, the use of numbers to represent complex social reality could make the AI seem factual and precise when it isnt . This is sometimes referred to as mathwashing.
If not done properly, AI could lead to decisions influenced by data on ethnicity, sex, age when hiring or firing, offering loans, or even in criminal proceedings.
AI could severely affect the right to privacy and data protection. It can be for example used in face recognition equipment or for online tracking and profiling of individuals. In addition, AI enables merging pieces of information a person has given into new data, which can lead to results the person would not expect.
It can also present a threat to democracy; AI has already been blamed for creating online echo chambers based on a person's previous online behaviour, displaying only content a person would like, instead of creating an environment for pluralistic, equally accessible and inclusive public debate. It can even be used to create extremely realistic fake video, audio and images, known as deepfakes, which can present financial risks, harm reputation, and challenge decision making. All of this could lead to separation and polarisation in the public sphere and manipulate elections.
AI could also play a role in harming freedom of assembly and protest as it could track and profile individuals linked to certain beliefs or actions.
Use of AI in the workplace is expected to result in the elimination of a large number of jobs. Though AI is also expected to create and make better jobs, education and training will have a crucial role in preventing long-term unemployment and ensure a skilled workforce.
- Using Artificial Intelligence to speed up recovery time and save patients money - fox13now.com - October 13th, 2020
- The Next Generation Of Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - October 13th, 2020
- SparkCognition Advances the Science of Artificial Intelligence with 85 Patents - PRNewswire - October 13th, 2020
- Reply is "Best in Class" Provider of Artificial Intelligence According to teknowlogy Group/PAC - Business Wire - October 13th, 2020
- USA receives grant to research using artificial intelligence to forecast the weather - WKRG News 5 - October 13th, 2020
- Neuromorphic Computing: How the Brain-Inspired Technology Powers the Next-Generation of Artificial Intelligence - Interesting Engineering - October 13th, 2020
- Asia Pacific Digital Transformation Research Report 2020-2025: Focus on 5G, Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things, and Smart Cities - PRNewswire - October 13th, 2020
- This Week in Washington IP: Antitrust in the Ninth Circuit, Shaping Artificial Intelligence and Promoting Security in 5G Networks - IPWatchdog.com - October 13th, 2020
- Prime Minister Janez Jana: Digitisation and artificial intelligence will become an essential integral part of the future - Gov.si - October 13th, 2020
- AI is the next national security frontier, but Israel may be losing its edge - Haaretz.com - October 13th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence could speed up breast screening in north-east - Aberdeen Evening Express - October 13th, 2020
- Four Practical Applications Of Artificial Intelligence And 5G - Forbes - October 11th, 2020
- What Is GPT-3 And Why Is It Revolutionizing Artificial Intelligence? - Forbes - October 11th, 2020
- Intermountain uses Artificial Intelligence to reduce costs and improve outcomes - ABC 4 - October 11th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is for the birds - University of California - October 11th, 2020
- Applications of Artificial Intelligence Driven Kiosks - BBN Times - October 11th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence solutions built in India can serve the world - The Indian Express - October 11th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Powers 8X Conversion Growth by Taking the Guesswork out of Successful Digital Marketing - PR Web - October 11th, 2020
- Automation And Artificial Intelligence Revolutionize The Cannabis Industry - Benzinga - October 11th, 2020
- Thomas J. Fuchs, DSc, Named Dean of Artificial Intelligence and Human Health and Co-Director of the Hasso Plattner Institute for Digital Health at... - October 11th, 2020
- How Is Artificial Intelligence Revolutionising Our Global Healthcare? - Blog - The Island Now - October 11th, 2020
- Penn researchers get $3.2 million grant to use artificial intelligence for improving heart transplants - PhillyVoice.com - October 11th, 2020
- IBM Watson Advertising Expands Suite, Makes Artificial Intelligence The Backbone 10/08/2020 - MediaPost Communications - October 11th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence ChipsMarket: Qualitative analysis of the leading players | AMD (Advanced Micro Device), Google, Intel, NVIDIA, Baidu - Crypto... - September 27th, 2020
- Singapore hopes artificial intelligence will help boost its tourism industry - CNBC - September 24th, 2020
- Regina Barzilay wins $1M Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence Squirrel AI award - MIT News - September 24th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Is Ready For Prime Time, But Needs Full Executive Support - Forbes - September 24th, 2020
- Microsoft And Shell Announce New Partnership To Use Artificial Intelligence And Tech To Reduce Carbon Emissions - Forbes - September 24th, 2020
- Rokt Recognized for Innovation in Artificial Intelligence with 2020 MarTech Breakthrough Award - PRNewswire - September 24th, 2020
- YouTube to exploit artificial intelligence to enforce age restrictions - SiliconANGLE News - September 24th, 2020
- Agencies Should Consider the Pros and Cons of Artificial Intelligence - Nextgov - September 24th, 2020
- New Ricoh artificial intelligence tool helps drive accuracy and efficiency in production print - PRNewswire - September 24th, 2020
- VODA.ai and Mueller Form a Relationship to Support Decision-Making Through Artificial Intelligence - AiThority - September 24th, 2020
- Impact of Artificial Intelligence on the current education system - Latest Digital Transformation Trends | Cloud News - Wire19 - September 24th, 2020
- Using Artificial Intelligence to Connect Vehicles and Traffic Infrastructure - Chattanooga Pulse - September 24th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence for Medical Evacuation in Great-Power Conflict - War on the Rocks - September 24th, 2020
- Qualtrics Announces Delighted AI, a Machine Learning Engine to Automate Every Step of the Customer Feedback Process - PRNewswire - September 24th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Security Market 2020 Latest Trending Technology, Growing Demand, Application, Types, Services, Regional Analysis and... - September 24th, 2020
- Scientists around the world join forces to combat anti-Semitism with artificial intelligence - New York Post - September 24th, 2020
- UK Information Commissioner's Office publishes guidance on artificial intelligence and data protection - Lexology - September 24th, 2020
- University of Illinois Professor Vikram Adve to lead new artificial intelligence institute - newsindiatimes.com - September 24th, 2020
- Why Fashion Needs More Imagination When It Comes To Using Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - September 22nd, 2020
- Call for tech businesses in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Internet of Things (IoT) and beyond - Cambridge Wireless - September 22nd, 2020
- The first of its kind in the region: Bahrain Polytechnic Launches Artificial Intelligence Academy with 38 Participants - Middle East & Africa News... - September 22nd, 2020
- Whitespace, Pfizer UK and IBM to launch artificial intelligence in histopathology tech innovation challenge - PCR-online.biz - September 22nd, 2020
- The Importance of Predictive Artificial Intelligence in Cybersecurity - Analytics Insight - September 12th, 2020
- What are the Important Factors that Drive Artificial Intelligence? - Analytics Insight - September 12th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact & Recovery Analysis | Global Artificial Intelligence Market in Agriculture Industry 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities With Ag... - September 12th, 2020
- Post Covid-19 Impact on Artificial Intelligence and Advanced Machine Learning Market Consumption Forecast by Application 2020 to 2026 - The Daily... - September 12th, 2020
- A robot wrote this entire article. Are you scared yet, human? - The Guardian - September 12th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence and the future of mankind! - Dunya News - September 12th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence is Driving the Memory Market for Autonomous and Connected Vehicles - Global Trade Magazine - September 12th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence is critical to organisations, but many unprepared - Workplace Insight - September 12th, 2020
- US DoD to Focus C4ISR Spending on Commercial IT Advances in Artificial Intelligence and Cloud Computing - PRNewswire - September 12th, 2020
- UC Riverside Wins Grant to Bring Artificial Intelligence to the Colorado River Basin - AG INFORMATION NETWORK OF THE WEST - AGInfo Ag Information... - September 12th, 2020
- How the VA is using artificial intelligence to improve veterans' mental health | TheHill - The Hill - September 12th, 2020
- 3 Predictions For The Role Of Artificial Intelligence In Art And Design - Forbes - September 6th, 2020
- Catalyst of change: Bringing artificial intelligence to the forefront - The Financial Express - September 6th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence: How realistic is the claim that AI will change our lives? - Bangkok Post - September 6th, 2020
- 3 Ways Artificial Intelligence Is Transforming The Energy Industry - OilPrice.com - September 6th, 2020
- Toward a machine learning model that can reason about everyday actions - MIT News - September 6th, 2020
- The fourth generation of AI is here, and its called Artificial Intuition - The Next Web - September 6th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Is Helping to Spot California Wildfires - GovTech - September 6th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence expert moves to Montreal because it's an AI hub - Montreal Gazette - September 6th, 2020
- MQ-9 Reaper Flies With AI Pod That Sifts Through Huge Sums Of Data To Pick Out Targets - The Drive - September 6th, 2020
- 60% of enterprises believe AI will disrupt their business in 2-3 years: Nasscom/EY - Economic Times - September 6th, 2020
- 3 Daunting Ways Artificial Intelligence Will Transform The World Of Work - Forbes - August 12th, 2020
- The Guardian view on artificial intelligence's revolution: learning but not as we know it - The Guardian - August 12th, 2020
- What Is The Artificial Intelligence Revolution And Why Does It Matter To Your Business? - Forbes - August 12th, 2020
- Digitalized Discrimination: COVID-19 and the Impact of Bias in Artificial Intelligence - JD Supra - August 12th, 2020
- Adopting IT Advances: Artificial Intelligence and Real Challenges - CIO Applications - August 12th, 2020
- Stanford Center for Health Education Launches Online Program in Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare to Improve Patient Outcomes - PRNewswire - August 12th, 2020
- The costs and benefits of artificial intelligence - The Japan Times - August 12th, 2020
- Analysis Covid 19: Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare Market Scenario 2020 Current Trends, Size, Share and Future Opportunities by 2026 - The... - August 12th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence can improve CT screening to identify patients infected with the Coronavirus - EdexLive - August 12th, 2020
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Artificial intelligence could be your best friend in finding a new one - The Conversation US - August 12th, 2020
- Evil AI: These are the 20 most dangerous crimes that artificial intelligence will create - ZDNet - August 6th, 2020
- 3 Important Ways Artificial Intelligence Will Transform Your Business And Turbocharge Success - Forbes - August 6th, 2020
- Experts Are Divided Over Future Of Artificial Intelligence But Agree On Its Growing Impact - Outlook India - August 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market Will Accelerate at a CAGR of Over 48% Through 2020-2024|Growing Adoption of... - August 6th, 2020