Artificial intelligence (AI) has taken on many new shapes and use cases as experts learn more about whats possible with big data and smart algorithms.
Todays AI market, then, consists of a mixture of tried-and-true smart technologies with new optimizations and advanced AI that is slowly transforming the way we do work and live daily life.
Read on to learn about some artificial intelligence trends that are making experts most excited for the future of AI:
More on the AI market: Artificial Intelligence Market
With its ability to follow basic tasks and routines based on smart programming and algorithms, artificial intelligence is becoming embedded in the way organizations automate their business processes.
AIOps and MLops are common use cases for AI and automation, but the breadth and depth of what AI can automate in the enterprise is quickly growing.
Bali D.R., SVP at Infosys, a global digital services and consulting firm, believes that AI is moving toward a certain level of hyper-automation, partially in response to the unexpected changes in manual data and procedures caused by the pandemic.
We are in the second inflection point for AI as it graduates from consumer AI, towards enterprise-grade AI, D.R. said. Being exposed to an over-reliance on manual procedures, such as mass rescheduling in the airline industry, unprecedented loan applications in banks, etc., the industries are now turning to hyper-automation that combines robotic process automation with modern machine learning to ensure they can better handle surges in the future.
Although AI automation is still mostly limited to interval and task-oriented automation that requires little imagination or guesswork on the part of the tool, some experts believe we are moving closer to more applications for intelligent automation.
David Tareen, director for artificial intelligence at SAS, a top analytics and AI software company, had this to say about the future of intelligent automation:
Intelligent automation is an area I expect to grow, Tareen said. Just like we automated manufacturing work, we will use AI heavily to automate knowledge work.
The complexity comes in because knowledge work has a high degree of variability. For example, an organization will receive feedback on their products or services in different ways and often in different languages as well. AI will need to ingest, understand, and modify processes in real-time before we can automate knowledge work at large.
AI, automation, and the job market: Artificial Intelligence and Automation
Because of the depth of big data and AIs reliance on it, theres always the possibility that unethical or ill-prepared data will make it into an AI training data set or model.
As more companies recognize the importance of creating AI that conducts its operations in a compliant and ethical manner, a number of AI developers and service providers are starting to offer responsible AI solutions to their customers.
Read Maloney, SVP of marketing at H2O.ai, a top AI and hybrid cloud company, explained what exactly responsible AI is and some of the different initiatives that companies are undertaking to improve their AI ethics.
AI creates incredible new opportunities to improve the lives of people around the world, Maloney said. We take the responsibility to mitigate risks as core to our work, so building fairness, interpretability, security, and privacy into our AI solutions is key.
Maloney said the market is seeing an increased adoption of the core pillars of responsible AI, which he shared with Datamation:
Companies are exploring several ways to make their AI more responsible, and most are starting with cleaning and assessing both data sets and existing AI models.
Brian Gilmore, director of IoT product management at InfluxData, a database solutions company, believes that one of the top options for model and data set management is distributed ledger technology (DLT).
As attention builds around the ethical and cultural impact of AI, some organizations are beginning to invest in ancillary but important technologies that utilize consensus and other trust-ensuring systems as a part of the AI framework, Gilmore said. For example, distributed ledger technology provides a sidecar platform for auditable proof of integrity for models and training data.
The decentralized ownership, distribution of access, and shared accountability of DLT can bring significant transparency to AI development and application across the board. The dilemma is whether for-profit corporations are willing to participate in a community model, trading transparency for consumer trust in something as mission critical as AI.
See more: The Ethics of Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Up to this point, AI has most frequently been used to optimize business processes and automate some home routines for consumers.
However, some experts are beginning to realize the potential that AI-powered models can have for solving global issues.
Read Maloney at H2O.ai has worked with people from a variety of industries to brainstorm how AI can be used for the greater good.
We work with many like-minded customers, partners, and organizations tackling issues from education, conservation, health care, and more, Maloney said. AI for good is fundamental to not only our work, including current work on climate change, wildfires, and hurricane predictions, but we are seeing more and more AI for good work to make the world a better place across the AI industry.
Some of the most exciting applications of altruistic AI are being implemented in early education right now.
For instance, Helen Thomas, CEO ofDMAI, an AI-powered health care and education company, offers an AI-powered product to ensure that preschool-aged children are getting the education they need, despite potential pandemic setbacks:
On top of pre-existing barriers to preschool education, including cost and access, recent research findings suggest children born during the COVID-19 pandemic display lower IQ scores than those born before January 2020, which means toddlers are less prepared for school than ever before.
DMAI DBA Animal Island Learning Adventure (AILA) is changing this with AI. [Our product] harnesses cognitive AI to deliver appropriate lessons in a consistent and repetitious format, supportive of natural learning patterns
Recognizing learning patterns that parents might miss, the AI creates an adaptive learning journey and doesnt allow the child to move forward until theyve mastered the skills and concepts presented. This intentional delivery also increases attention span over time, ensuring children step into the classroom with the social-emotional intelligence to succeed.
More on this topic: How AI is Being Used in Education
Internet of Things (IoT) devices have become incredibly widespread among both enterprise and personal users, but what many tech companies still struggle with is how to gather actionable insights from the constant inflow of data from these devices.
AIoT, or the idea of combining artificial intelligence with IoT products, is one field that is starting to address these pools of unused data, giving AI the power to translate that data quickly and intelligently.
Bill Scudder, SVP and AIoT general manager at AspenTech, an industrial AI solutions company, believes that AIoT is one of the most crucial fields for enabling more intelligent, real-time business decisions.
Forrester has noted that up to 73% of all data collected within the enterprise goes unused, which highlights a critical challenge with IoT, Scudder said. As the volume of connected devices for example, in industrial IoT settings continues to increase, so does the volume of data collected from these devices.
This has resulted in a trend seen across many industries: the need to marry AI and IoT. And heres why: where IoT allows connected devices to create and transmit data from various sources, AI can take that data one step further, translating data into actionable insights to fuel faster, more intelligent business decisions. This is giving way to the rising trend of artificial intelligence of things or AIoT.
Decision intelligence (DI) is one of the newest artificial intelligence concepts that takes many current business optimizations a step farther, by using AI models to analyze wide-ranging sets of commercial data. These analyses are used to predict future outcomes for everything from products to customers to supply chains.
Sorcha Gilroy, data science team lead at Peak, a commercial AI solutions provider, explained that although decision intelligence is a fairly new concept, its already gaining traction with larger enterprises because of its detailed business intelligence (BI) offerings.
Decision intelligence is a new category of software that facilitates the commercial application of artificial intelligence, providing predictive insight and recommended actions to users, Gilroy said. It is outcome focused, meaning a solution must deliver against a business need before it can be classed as DI.
Recognized by Gartner and IDC, it has the potential to be the biggest software category in the world and is already being utilized by businesses across a variety of use cases, from personalizing shopper experiences to streamlining complex supply chains. Brands such as Nike, PepsiCo, and ASOS are known to be using DI already.
Read next: Top Performing Artificial Intelligence Companies
- Artificial intelligence that understands object relationships - MIT News - December 3rd, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Works To Identify How Diseases Alter The Body - HealthITAnalytics.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Council of Europe to participate in the Athens Roundtable on Artificial Intelligence and the Rule of Law - Council of Europe - December 3rd, 2021
- Connecticut Money: Artificial intelligence and the AI revolution - New Haven Register - December 3rd, 2021
- Artificial intelligence innovation among medical industry companies dropped off in the last quarter - Verdict Medical Devices - Medical Device Network - December 3rd, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in the Intelligence Community: Oversight Must Not Be an Oversight - Just Security - December 3rd, 2021
- Billion-Dollar Unicorn And Artificial Intelligence Career-Tech Startup Is Improving The Job Search Experience - Forbes - December 3rd, 2021
- Artificial intelligence may not actually be the solution for stopping the spread of fake news - The Conversation CA - December 3rd, 2021
- Healthcare Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market Size to Reach Revenues of USD 44.5 Billion by 2026 - Arizton - PRNewswire - December 3rd, 2021
- Digital Transformation 2021: 5G Technology and Solutions for IoT, Artificial Intelligence in Big Data Analytics and IoT, Digital Twins Market Sizing... - December 3rd, 2021
- Why Artificial Intelligence is Key to Community-Driven Threat Intelligence - ITPro Today - December 3rd, 2021
- 193 countries adopt the first global agreement on the Ethics of Artificial Intelligence - UN News - November 25th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and mobility, who's at the wheel? - Innovation Origins - November 25th, 2021
- Global AI (Artificial Intelligence) Market Report 2021: Ethical AI Practices and Advisory will be Incorporated in AI Technology Growth Strategy to... - November 25th, 2021
- [Webinar] Balancing Compliance with AI Solutions - How Artificial Intelligence Can Drive the Future of Work by Enabling Fair, Efficient, and Auditable... - November 25th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence in the healthcare sector: Lindera successfully closes financing round of six million euros - KULR-TV - November 25th, 2021
- At LI hospitals, the artificial intelligence revolution has already begun - Newsday - November 25th, 2021
- Sunnybrook launches innovative new artificial intelligence research lab with $1-million gift from TD Bank Group - Canada NewsWire - November 25th, 2021
- 6 positive AI visions for the future of work - World Economic Forum - November 25th, 2021
- Relief Therapeutics and InveniAI Sign a Strategic Collaboration Agreement to Identify New Product Development Opportunities using Artificial... - November 25th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Cloud Computing and 5G Will be the Most Important Technologies in 2022, Says New IEEE Study - APN News - November 24th, 2021
- Defining what's ethical in artificial intelligence needs input from Africans - The Conversation Africa - November 24th, 2021
- McGill Artificial Intelligence Society's panel discusses ethics and regulation of artificial intelligence - McGill Tribune - November 24th, 2021
- Staten Island Family Advocating For New Artificial Intelligence Program That Aims To Prevent Drug Overdoses - CBS New York - November 24th, 2021
- Data Scientist vs. Artificial Intelligence Engineer: Which Is a Better Career Choice? - Latest Digital Transformation Trends | Cloud News - Wire19 - November 24th, 2021
- Robotics and artificial intelligence to improve health rehabilitation - EurekAlert - November 24th, 2021
- Job hunting nightmare: 1,000 plus job applications and still no offers - ABC Action News - November 24th, 2021
- How The Overlap Between Artificial Intelligence And Stem Cell Research Is Producing Exciting Results - Forbes - November 24th, 2021
- Amazon and Alphabet lead the way in artificial intelligence, data reveals - Verdict - November 24th, 2021
- Scientists discover lie detector that uses artificial intelligence to detect micro-expressions - WION - November 24th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Successfully Predicts Protein Interactions Could Lead to Wealth of New Drug Targets - SciTechDaily - November 24th, 2021
- Filings buzz: tracking artificial intelligence mentions in the automotive industry - just-auto.com - November 6th, 2021
- The artificial intelligence in healthcare market is projected to grow from USD 6.9 billion in 2021 to USD 67.4 billion by 2027; it is expected to grow... - November 6th, 2021
- Bad Robot? Employing Artificial Intelligence in the Rush to Replace LIBOR - JD Supra - November 6th, 2021
- NATO ups the ante on disruptive tech, artificial intelligence - DefenseNews.com - November 6th, 2021
- Night vision and artificial intelligence reveal secrets of spider webs - BBC Science Focus Magazine - November 6th, 2021
- The Cultural Benefits of Artificial Intelligence in the Enterprise - MIT Sloan - November 6th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence is getting better at writing, and universities should worry about plagiarism - The Conversation CA - November 6th, 2021
- Google-parent Alphabet has set up a new lab that will use A.I. to try to discover new drugs - CNBC - November 6th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence hiring levels in the tech industry dropped in September 2021 - Verdict - November 6th, 2021
- A Tale Of Two Jurisdictions: Sufficiency Of Disclosure For Artificial Intelligence (AI) Patents In The US And The EPO - Intellectual Property - United... - November 6th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Manufacturing Market Worth $13.96 billion by 2028 Exclusive Report by Meticulous Research - Yahoo Finance - November 6th, 2021
- Why testing must address the trust-based issues surrounding artificial intelligence - Aerospace Testing International - November 6th, 2021
- US/EU Initiative Spotlights Cooperation, Differing Approaches To Regulation Of Artificial Intelligence Systems - Privacy - Worldwide - Mondaq News... - November 6th, 2021
- How does McLaren win the race both on the track and in cyberspace? With innovation and Artificial Intelligence - Entrepreneur - November 6th, 2021
- Ethics and governance of artificial intelligence for health - November 1st, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence, Automation and The Future of Corporate Finance - PRNewswire - November 1st, 2021
- DISA Moves to Combat Intensifying Cyber Threats with Artificial Intelligence - Nextgov - November 1st, 2021
- A Look Into The Future: EEOC Announces Artificial Intelligence Initiative - JD Supra - November 1st, 2021
- Yuval Noah Harari on the power of data, artificial intelligence and the future of the human race - CBS News - November 1st, 2021
- FEATURE: How is artificial intelligence changing these five industries? - Nantwich News - November 1st, 2021
- UMass Amherst and Brigham and Women's Hospital to Lead New Center on Artificial Intelligence, Aging and Alzheimer's, Funded by $20 Million NIA Grant -... - November 1st, 2021
- KLA Corporation Opens New Artificial Intelligence-Advanced Computing Lab at Indian Institute of Technology Madras Research Park - PR Newswire India - November 1st, 2021
- Israel and Germany Kick Off Digital Cooperation to Boost Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare - Algemeiner - November 1st, 2021
- High-performance, low-cost machine learning infrastructure is accelerating innovation in the cloud - MIT Technology Review - November 1st, 2021
- Humans in the loop: it takes people to ensure artificial intelligence success - ZDNet - October 30th, 2021
- Vlodomyr Kindratenko Named Director of the Center for Artificial Intelligence Innovation at NCSA - HPCwire - October 30th, 2021
- Yeah, were spooked: AI starting to have big real-world impact, says expert - The Guardian - October 30th, 2021
- Expert warns that artificial intelligence could soon be able to 'hack' human beings | TheHill - The Hill - October 30th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare Market worth $67.4 billion by 2027 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - Yahoo Finance - October 30th, 2021
- Machine learning can revolutionize healthcare, but it also carries legal risks - Healthcare IT News - October 30th, 2021
- Reliable Health Assistants Yielded by Artificial Intelligence - Analytics Insight - October 30th, 2021
- UNESCO Conducts a Training on Artificial Intelligence for Disaster Response in Tanzania - Africanews English - October 30th, 2021
- MIT Centre for Future Skills Excellence Concludes the 5-Week, Short Term Course on Artificial Intelligence for Teachers - PR Newswire India - October 30th, 2021
- The Coming Convergence of NFTs and Artificial Intelligence - Yahoo Finance - October 30th, 2021
- AT&T and H2O.ai Launch Co-Developed Artificial Intelligence Feature Store with Industry-First Capabilities - inForney.com - October 28th, 2021
- US Leadership in Artificial Intelligence is Still Possible - Council on Foreign Relations - October 28th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in the Education Sector Market Size Forecasted to be Worth USD 17.83 Billion by 2027 - TechBullion - October 28th, 2021
- Global Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market to Reach US$291.5 Billion by the Year 2026 - Yahoo Finance - October 28th, 2021
- Pinecone Recognized as a 2021 Gartner Cool Vendor in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning - PRNewswire - October 28th, 2021
- How artificial intelligence is driving the growth of startups - YourStory - October 28th, 2021
- How Has Artificial Intelligence Affected The Casino Industry? - KHTS Radio - October 28th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence to power the banks of the Future - Google - IT Brief New Zealand - October 28th, 2021
- Filings buzz in the power industry: 16% increase in artificial intelligence mentions in Q2 of 2021 - Power Technology - October 28th, 2021
- U.S. and UK Form Real Bond Over Artificial Intelligence Capabilities - ClearanceJobs - October 28th, 2021
- 2 Artificial Intelligence Stocks That Have Spooked Investors - Motley Fool - October 28th, 2021
- Northwell Health and Aegis Ventures to form first-of-its-kind artificial intelligence venture to drive better, more equitable, and lower-cost... - October 28th, 2021
- An artificial intelligence tool is helping retailers and manufacturers weather the holidays by simulating supply chain issues before they happen -... - October 28th, 2021
- China Rapidly Developing Artificial Intelligence, Officials Warn - The National Interest - October 28th, 2021
- China beats the USA in Artificial Intelligence and international awards - Modern Diplomacy - October 24th, 2021