Artificial intelligence (AI) was once the stuff of science fiction. But its becoming widespread. It is used in mobile phone technology and motor vehicles. It powers tools for agriculture and healthcare.
But concerns have emerged about the accountability of AI and related technologies like machine learning. In December 2020 a computer scientist, Timnit Gebru, was fired from Googles Ethical AI team. She had previously raised the alarm about the social effects of bias in AI technologies. For instance, in a 2018 paper Gebru and another researcher, Joy Buolamwini, had showed how facial recognition software was less accurate in identifying women and people of colour than white men. Biases in training data can have far-reaching and unintended effects.
There is already a substantial body of research about ethics in AI. This highlights the importance of principles to ensure technologies do not simply worsen biases or even introduce new social harms. As the UNESCO draft recommendation on the ethics of AI states:
We need international and national policies and regulatory frameworks to ensure that these emerging technologies benefit humanity as a whole.
In recent years, many frameworks and guidelines have been created that identify objectives and priorities for ethical AI.
This is certainly a step in the right direction. But its also critical to look beyond technical solutions when addressing issues of bias or inclusivity. Biases can enter at the level of who frames the objectives and balances the priorities.
In a recent paper, we argue that inclusivity and diversity also need to be at the level of identifying values and defining frameworks of what counts as ethical AI in the first place. This is especially pertinent when considering the growth of AI research and machine learning across the African continent.
Research and development of AI and machine learning technologies is growing in African countries. Programmes such as Data Science Africa, Data Science Nigeria, and the Deep Learning Indaba with its satellite IndabaX events, which have so far been held in 27 different African countries, illustrate the interest and human investment in the fields.
The potential of AI and related technologies to promote opportunities for growth, development and democratisation in Africa is a key driver of this research.
Yet very few African voices have so far been involved in the international ethical frameworks that aim to guide the research. This might not be a problem if the principles and values in those frameworks have universal application. But its not clear that they do.
For instance, the European AI4People framework offers a synthesis of six other ethical frameworks. It identifies respect for autonomy as one of its key principles. This principle has been criticised within the applied ethical field of bioethics. It is seen as failing to do justice to the communitarian values common across Africa. These focus less on the individual and more on community, even requiring that exceptions are made to upholding such a principle to allow for effective interventions.
Challenges like these or even acknowledgement that there could be such challenges are largely absent from the discussions and frameworks for ethical AI.
Just like training data can entrench existing inequalities and injustices, so can failing to recognise the possibility of diverse sets of values that can vary across social, cultural and political contexts.
In addition, failing to take into account social, cultural and political contexts can mean that even a seemingly perfect ethical technical solution can be ineffective or misguided once implemented.
For machine learning to be effective at making useful predictions, any learning system needs access to training data. This involves samples of the data of interest: inputs in the form of multiple features or measurements, and outputs which are the labels scientists want to predict. In most cases, both these features and labels require human knowledge of the problem. But a failure to correctly account for the local context could result in underperforming systems.
For example, mobile phone call records have been used to estimate population sizes before and after disasters. However, vulnerable populations are less likely to have access to mobile devices. So, this kind of approach could yield results that arent useful.
Similarly, computer vision technologies for identifying different kinds of structures in an area will likely underperform where different construction materials are used. In both of these cases, as we and other colleagues discuss in another recent paper, not accounting for regional differences may have profound effects on anything from the delivery of disaster aid, to the performance of autonomous systems.
AI technologies must not simply worsen or incorporate the problematic aspects of current human societies.
Being sensitive to and inclusive of different contexts is vital for designing effective technical solutions. It is equally important not to assume that values are universal. Those developing AI need to start including people of different backgrounds: not just in the technical aspects of designing data sets and the like but also in defining the values that can be called upon to frame and set objectives and priorities.
- Lior Cole Is the Model Combining Artificial Intelligence With Religion - Vogue - January 4th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence and Sophisticated Machine Learning Techniques are Being Used to Develop Pathogenesi... - Physician's Weekly - January 4th, 2022
- Insights on the Healthcare Artificial Intelligence Global Market to 2026 - Featuring Google, IBM and Intel Among Others - GlobeNewswire - January 4th, 2022
- Robo-dogs and therapy bots: Artificial intelligence goes cuddly - CBS News - January 4th, 2022
- The role of artificial intelligence in the future of content - TechTarget - January 4th, 2022
- Will Artificial Intelligence Take Over Your Job in 2022? - Digital Information World - January 4th, 2022
- Artificial intelligence is restoring lost works by Klimt, Picasso and Rembrandt, but not everyone is happy about it - Bowling Green Daily News - January 4th, 2022
- OPPO is creating Innovative Experiences with Artificial Intelligence as it unveils its Smart Glass Technologies - BellaNaija - January 4th, 2022
- Xiaomi debuts MIUI 13 with support for the Artificial Intelligence of Things - Neowin - December 29th, 2021
- A virtual nuclear reactor and artificial intelligence in transport: Russian universities develop leading in... - Market Research Telecast - December 29th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Was the Most Discussed Technology of 2021 - TV Technology - December 24th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence May Be Just Code, But Its Our Code - Forbes - December 24th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence as an Inventor on Patents The Global Divide and the Path Forward - JD Supra - December 24th, 2021
- Insights on the Artificial Intelligence in Remote Patient Monitoring Global Market to 2026 - Featuring 100 Plus, AiCure and Cardiomo Among Others -... - December 24th, 2021
- What Advantages AI has to Offer the Telecom Industry - Critical Hit - December 24th, 2021
- How Will Artificial Intelligence Affect Workplaces And Lives In The Future? - Inventiva - December 24th, 2021
- CFPB looking for whistleblowers to report potential discrimination arising from the use of artificial intelligence - JD Supra - December 24th, 2021
- Researchers Identify Four Lupus Subgroups Associated with Lupus Outcomes using Long-term Autoantibody Data and Artificial Intelligence - Lupus... - December 24th, 2021
- Giant Fake Ladybugs on Tanks? The Future of Warfare in the Age of Artificial Intelligence and the Need for Ethics PRIO Blogs - Peace Research... - December 22nd, 2021
- Applying Artificial Intelligence to Food Tray Production - Automation World - December 22nd, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and on-the-job safety | Safety+Health magazine - Safety+Health magazine - December 22nd, 2021
- Nickel oxide is a material that can 'learn' like animals and could help further artificial intelligence research - The Conversation AU - December 22nd, 2021
- Viewpoints: Ways The Pandemic Has Affected New Mothers; Benefits Of Artificial Intelligence In Health Care - Kaiser Health News - December 22nd, 2021
- Debayan Deb: Providing Artificial Intelligence- Powered Solutions to Drive Innovation - Analytics Insight - December 22nd, 2021
- Global Artificial Intelligence Market Opportunities Report 2021 with Focus on Transformative Mega Trends of AI - Yahoo Finance - December 22nd, 2021
- UN talks to ban 'slaughterbots' collapsed here's why that matters - CNBC - December 22nd, 2021
- The Evolution of Cyber Insurance in 2021 Through the Lens of expert.ai's Artificial Intelligence - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2021
- Hexatone's FinanceAI Delivers the Power of Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Analysis to the Financial Sector - Yahoo Finance - December 22nd, 2021
- $36.22 Billion Healthcare Artificial Intelligence Markets - Global Forecasts from 2021 to 2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - December 22nd, 2021
- Artificial intelligence that understands object relationships - MIT News - December 3rd, 2021
- Council of Europe to participate in the Athens Roundtable on Artificial Intelligence and the Rule of Law - Council of Europe - December 3rd, 2021
- Connecticut Money: Artificial intelligence and the AI revolution - New Haven Register - December 3rd, 2021
- Artificial intelligence innovation among medical industry companies dropped off in the last quarter - Verdict Medical Devices - Medical Device Network - December 3rd, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in the Intelligence Community: Oversight Must Not Be an Oversight - Just Security - December 3rd, 2021
- Artificial intelligence may not actually be the solution for stopping the spread of fake news - The Conversation CA - December 3rd, 2021
- Healthcare Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market Size to Reach Revenues of USD 44.5 Billion by 2026 - Arizton - PRNewswire - December 3rd, 2021
- Digital Transformation 2021: 5G Technology and Solutions for IoT, Artificial Intelligence in Big Data Analytics and IoT, Digital Twins Market Sizing... - December 3rd, 2021
- Why Artificial Intelligence is Key to Community-Driven Threat Intelligence - ITPro Today - December 3rd, 2021
- 193 countries adopt the first global agreement on the Ethics of Artificial Intelligence - UN News - November 25th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and mobility, who's at the wheel? - Innovation Origins - November 25th, 2021
- Global AI (Artificial Intelligence) Market Report 2021: Ethical AI Practices and Advisory will be Incorporated in AI Technology Growth Strategy to... - November 25th, 2021
- [Webinar] Balancing Compliance with AI Solutions - How Artificial Intelligence Can Drive the Future of Work by Enabling Fair, Efficient, and Auditable... - November 25th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence in the healthcare sector: Lindera successfully closes financing round of six million euros - KULR-TV - November 25th, 2021
- At LI hospitals, the artificial intelligence revolution has already begun - Newsday - November 25th, 2021
- Sunnybrook launches innovative new artificial intelligence research lab with $1-million gift from TD Bank Group - Canada NewsWire - November 25th, 2021
- 6 positive AI visions for the future of work - World Economic Forum - November 25th, 2021
- Relief Therapeutics and InveniAI Sign a Strategic Collaboration Agreement to Identify New Product Development Opportunities using Artificial... - November 25th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Cloud Computing and 5G Will be the Most Important Technologies in 2022, Says New IEEE Study - APN News - November 24th, 2021
- McGill Artificial Intelligence Society's panel discusses ethics and regulation of artificial intelligence - McGill Tribune - November 24th, 2021
- Staten Island Family Advocating For New Artificial Intelligence Program That Aims To Prevent Drug Overdoses - CBS New York - November 24th, 2021
- Data Scientist vs. Artificial Intelligence Engineer: Which Is a Better Career Choice? - Latest Digital Transformation Trends | Cloud News - Wire19 - November 24th, 2021
- Robotics and artificial intelligence to improve health rehabilitation - EurekAlert - November 24th, 2021
- Job hunting nightmare: 1,000 plus job applications and still no offers - ABC Action News - November 24th, 2021
- How The Overlap Between Artificial Intelligence And Stem Cell Research Is Producing Exciting Results - Forbes - November 24th, 2021
- Amazon and Alphabet lead the way in artificial intelligence, data reveals - Verdict - November 24th, 2021
- Scientists discover lie detector that uses artificial intelligence to detect micro-expressions - WION - November 24th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Successfully Predicts Protein Interactions Could Lead to Wealth of New Drug Targets - SciTechDaily - November 24th, 2021
- Filings buzz: tracking artificial intelligence mentions in the automotive industry - just-auto.com - November 6th, 2021
- The artificial intelligence in healthcare market is projected to grow from USD 6.9 billion in 2021 to USD 67.4 billion by 2027; it is expected to grow... - November 6th, 2021
- Bad Robot? Employing Artificial Intelligence in the Rush to Replace LIBOR - JD Supra - November 6th, 2021
- NATO ups the ante on disruptive tech, artificial intelligence - DefenseNews.com - November 6th, 2021
- Night vision and artificial intelligence reveal secrets of spider webs - BBC Science Focus Magazine - November 6th, 2021
- The Cultural Benefits of Artificial Intelligence in the Enterprise - MIT Sloan - November 6th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence is getting better at writing, and universities should worry about plagiarism - The Conversation CA - November 6th, 2021
- Google-parent Alphabet has set up a new lab that will use A.I. to try to discover new drugs - CNBC - November 6th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence hiring levels in the tech industry dropped in September 2021 - Verdict - November 6th, 2021
- A Tale Of Two Jurisdictions: Sufficiency Of Disclosure For Artificial Intelligence (AI) Patents In The US And The EPO - Intellectual Property - United... - November 6th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Manufacturing Market Worth $13.96 billion by 2028 Exclusive Report by Meticulous Research - Yahoo Finance - November 6th, 2021
- Why testing must address the trust-based issues surrounding artificial intelligence - Aerospace Testing International - November 6th, 2021
- US/EU Initiative Spotlights Cooperation, Differing Approaches To Regulation Of Artificial Intelligence Systems - Privacy - Worldwide - Mondaq News... - November 6th, 2021
- How does McLaren win the race both on the track and in cyberspace? With innovation and Artificial Intelligence - Entrepreneur - November 6th, 2021
- Ethics and governance of artificial intelligence for health - November 1st, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence, Automation and The Future of Corporate Finance - PRNewswire - November 1st, 2021
- DISA Moves to Combat Intensifying Cyber Threats with Artificial Intelligence - Nextgov - November 1st, 2021
- A Look Into The Future: EEOC Announces Artificial Intelligence Initiative - JD Supra - November 1st, 2021
- Yuval Noah Harari on the power of data, artificial intelligence and the future of the human race - CBS News - November 1st, 2021
- FEATURE: How is artificial intelligence changing these five industries? - Nantwich News - November 1st, 2021
- UMass Amherst and Brigham and Women's Hospital to Lead New Center on Artificial Intelligence, Aging and Alzheimer's, Funded by $20 Million NIA Grant -... - November 1st, 2021
- KLA Corporation Opens New Artificial Intelligence-Advanced Computing Lab at Indian Institute of Technology Madras Research Park - PR Newswire India - November 1st, 2021
- Israel and Germany Kick Off Digital Cooperation to Boost Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare - Algemeiner - November 1st, 2021