A tourist in Singapore taking in the iconic skyline with Marina Bay Sands and the Singapore Flyer in view.
IronHeart | Moment | Getty Images
Singapore is gradually reopening its borders again after months of coronavirus travel restrictions.
As the city-state looks to salvage its battered tourism industry which contributes around 4% to its economy it's hoped that artificial intelligence (AI) can help the sector bring back visitors safely.
Official datashowsmonthlyvisitor arrivals were down by 76% between January to July, compared to a year ago. Visitor arrivals in July alone were down more than 99% year-on-year.
Even though the Southeast Asian nation remains closed off to most foreigners, officials are now considering lifting restrictions for select groups of visitors.
Local start-ups like Vouch and Travelstop are betting on their AI-powered systems as the country navigates new security measures.
Launched in 2017, Vouch sells an AI-enabled digital concierge that's designed to answer guest inquiries, make bookings and take room service orders. The company says its chatbots used by hotels including Andaz Singapore and the Pan Pacificin Singapore can conduct health declarations, facilitate contactless ordering for dine-in services and manage crowd control.
The Vouch app being used on a mobile phone.
Handout from Vouch
"Interestingly, Covid-19 has actually helped our business significantly," Vouch co-founder Joseph Ling told CNBC.
The company had to initially modify its in-room dining ordering system to allow for takeaways and deliveries a feature that it gave to hotels for free during Singapore's partial lockdown.
"Thanks to this, we were able to build great relationships," Ling said. "When hotels began to plan for the future around June and July, we signed up many of them." He said Vouch is now growing rapidly with "15 percent of the total Singapore hotel room stock on board."
Other AI-backed firms also say they're optimistic about the long-term outlook.
Two-year-old Travelstop aims to simplify business travel with the help of its serverless SaaS platform, that's designed to speed up the booking process, automate expense reporting and provide cost-saving insights.
"For the past few months, even though corporate travel revenues have been down, we are seeing significant traction on our expense management platform as companies are now accelerating digitizing the workflows and processes to support the work from home culture," said Travelstop's co-founder Prashant Kirtane.
Ongoing border restrictions and lower consumer appetite for international flights have changed travel as an industry. The two entrepreneurs said they believe machine learning and AI will change travel as an experience.
"The business models of traditional corporate travel management companies have not evolved for decades," Kirtane stated. "Existing tools have not kept pace with the modern business traveler, and are generally not affordable by smaller and mid-sized businesses."
"Hotels used to feel more technologically advanced than our homes but as IoT (Internet of Things), AI and consumer tech companies take the lead, the tech gradient has reversed hotels now feel lower tech than our own homes," said Ling of Vouch. The Internet of Things is the idea of a network of devices thatare all connected to the internet and, conceptually at least, can work together.
Before the pandemic, AI and other forms of machine learning were just beginning to infiltrate the travel sector. Their biggest advantage is the ability to personalize experiences and streamline services based on customer data.
Singaporean start-up Fooyo, for example, creates customized itinerary planners that include real-time crowd monitoring for attractions and events. The app it created for the Chinese city of Chongqing also includes an AI audio guide, which gives visitors information based on their GPS location.
As the economy begins to recover from the pandemic,AI-backed systemscouldbecome especially useful.
For example, "with people being more cautious about being in long queues and waiting in crowded spaces, more AI processes would be beneficial to safe distancing," said James Walton, the transportation, hospitality and services sector leader at Deloitte Southeast Asia. He cited the example of remote check-ins and check-outs in hotels.
Investors are paying attention to this rapidly growing sector. Travelstop raised $3 million in pre-Series A funding led by Silicon Valley venture capital firm Accel last year, on top of the $1.2 million it obtained in a 2019 seed round led by Singapore's SeedPlus.
Kirtane said the company aims to complete a new fundraising round in 2021. Vouch, meanwhile, has raised about $250,000 of angel investment to-date and will be seeking more funds as it looks to expand in Thailand and Malaysia.
And investments in new technology continue. In 2017, the country's tourism body and the Singapore Hotel Association launched a program to crowdsource technologies for hotels. Among the winners was a wireless system that automatically adjusts air-conditioning units for energy efficiency.
Officials announced an accelerator program for tourism-oriented tech start-ups late last year.
Technological innovation "can also strengthen investor perception, and thus encourage investments in the country," Walton said.
Singapore has long faced a severe labor crunch amid state-imposed foreign worker levies and quotas factors that have contributed to wage increases. For employers, "the use of tech and AI in areas such as hotel operations will go some way to alleviate this pressure," Walton said.
Ling of Vouch echoed those sentiments. Hiring is difficult for Singapore hotels since most locals don't want to work in hospitality, he explained. As a result, back-office staff are predominantly foreigners and due to quotas on foreign manpower, hotels often lack sufficient front-end personnel, Ling continued. With many establishments reducing staff count in the aftermath of Covid-19, labor issues are as critical as ever, he said.
Whilst AI can improve overall efficiency with less manpower, it can also lead to job losses an unwanted development at a time when people are already concerned about job security.
"Would this mean reducing foreign manpower numbers, and saving the jobs for Singaporeans? Does adopting [AI] replace the jobs, or would it enable more high-level jobs for Singaporeans?" Walton asked.
It remains to be seen, he said, how the government can balance that situation.
- Using Artificial Intelligence to speed up recovery time and save patients money - fox13now.com - October 13th, 2020
- The Next Generation Of Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - October 13th, 2020
- SparkCognition Advances the Science of Artificial Intelligence with 85 Patents - PRNewswire - October 13th, 2020
- Reply is "Best in Class" Provider of Artificial Intelligence According to teknowlogy Group/PAC - Business Wire - October 13th, 2020
- USA receives grant to research using artificial intelligence to forecast the weather - WKRG News 5 - October 13th, 2020
- Neuromorphic Computing: How the Brain-Inspired Technology Powers the Next-Generation of Artificial Intelligence - Interesting Engineering - October 13th, 2020
- Asia Pacific Digital Transformation Research Report 2020-2025: Focus on 5G, Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things, and Smart Cities - PRNewswire - October 13th, 2020
- This Week in Washington IP: Antitrust in the Ninth Circuit, Shaping Artificial Intelligence and Promoting Security in 5G Networks - IPWatchdog.com - October 13th, 2020
- Prime Minister Janez Jana: Digitisation and artificial intelligence will become an essential integral part of the future - Gov.si - October 13th, 2020
- AI is the next national security frontier, but Israel may be losing its edge - Haaretz.com - October 13th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence could speed up breast screening in north-east - Aberdeen Evening Express - October 13th, 2020
- Four Practical Applications Of Artificial Intelligence And 5G - Forbes - October 11th, 2020
- What Is GPT-3 And Why Is It Revolutionizing Artificial Intelligence? - Forbes - October 11th, 2020
- Intermountain uses Artificial Intelligence to reduce costs and improve outcomes - ABC 4 - October 11th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is for the birds - University of California - October 11th, 2020
- Applications of Artificial Intelligence Driven Kiosks - BBN Times - October 11th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence solutions built in India can serve the world - The Indian Express - October 11th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Powers 8X Conversion Growth by Taking the Guesswork out of Successful Digital Marketing - PR Web - October 11th, 2020
- Automation And Artificial Intelligence Revolutionize The Cannabis Industry - Benzinga - October 11th, 2020
- Thomas J. Fuchs, DSc, Named Dean of Artificial Intelligence and Human Health and Co-Director of the Hasso Plattner Institute for Digital Health at... - October 11th, 2020
- How Is Artificial Intelligence Revolutionising Our Global Healthcare? - Blog - The Island Now - October 11th, 2020
- Penn researchers get $3.2 million grant to use artificial intelligence for improving heart transplants - PhillyVoice.com - October 11th, 2020
- IBM Watson Advertising Expands Suite, Makes Artificial Intelligence The Backbone 10/08/2020 - MediaPost Communications - October 11th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence ChipsMarket: Qualitative analysis of the leading players | AMD (Advanced Micro Device), Google, Intel, NVIDIA, Baidu - Crypto... - September 27th, 2020
- Regina Barzilay wins $1M Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence Squirrel AI award - MIT News - September 24th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence: threats and opportunities | News - EU News - September 24th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Is Ready For Prime Time, But Needs Full Executive Support - Forbes - September 24th, 2020
- Microsoft And Shell Announce New Partnership To Use Artificial Intelligence And Tech To Reduce Carbon Emissions - Forbes - September 24th, 2020
- Rokt Recognized for Innovation in Artificial Intelligence with 2020 MarTech Breakthrough Award - PRNewswire - September 24th, 2020
- YouTube to exploit artificial intelligence to enforce age restrictions - SiliconANGLE News - September 24th, 2020
- Agencies Should Consider the Pros and Cons of Artificial Intelligence - Nextgov - September 24th, 2020
- New Ricoh artificial intelligence tool helps drive accuracy and efficiency in production print - PRNewswire - September 24th, 2020
- VODA.ai and Mueller Form a Relationship to Support Decision-Making Through Artificial Intelligence - AiThority - September 24th, 2020
- Impact of Artificial Intelligence on the current education system - Latest Digital Transformation Trends | Cloud News - Wire19 - September 24th, 2020
- Using Artificial Intelligence to Connect Vehicles and Traffic Infrastructure - Chattanooga Pulse - September 24th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence for Medical Evacuation in Great-Power Conflict - War on the Rocks - September 24th, 2020
- Qualtrics Announces Delighted AI, a Machine Learning Engine to Automate Every Step of the Customer Feedback Process - PRNewswire - September 24th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Security Market 2020 Latest Trending Technology, Growing Demand, Application, Types, Services, Regional Analysis and... - September 24th, 2020
- Scientists around the world join forces to combat anti-Semitism with artificial intelligence - New York Post - September 24th, 2020
- UK Information Commissioner's Office publishes guidance on artificial intelligence and data protection - Lexology - September 24th, 2020
- University of Illinois Professor Vikram Adve to lead new artificial intelligence institute - newsindiatimes.com - September 24th, 2020
- Why Fashion Needs More Imagination When It Comes To Using Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - September 22nd, 2020
- Call for tech businesses in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Internet of Things (IoT) and beyond - Cambridge Wireless - September 22nd, 2020
- The first of its kind in the region: Bahrain Polytechnic Launches Artificial Intelligence Academy with 38 Participants - Middle East & Africa News... - September 22nd, 2020
- Whitespace, Pfizer UK and IBM to launch artificial intelligence in histopathology tech innovation challenge - PCR-online.biz - September 22nd, 2020
- The Importance of Predictive Artificial Intelligence in Cybersecurity - Analytics Insight - September 12th, 2020
- What are the Important Factors that Drive Artificial Intelligence? - Analytics Insight - September 12th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact & Recovery Analysis | Global Artificial Intelligence Market in Agriculture Industry 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities With Ag... - September 12th, 2020
- Post Covid-19 Impact on Artificial Intelligence and Advanced Machine Learning Market Consumption Forecast by Application 2020 to 2026 - The Daily... - September 12th, 2020
- A robot wrote this entire article. Are you scared yet, human? - The Guardian - September 12th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence and the future of mankind! - Dunya News - September 12th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence is Driving the Memory Market for Autonomous and Connected Vehicles - Global Trade Magazine - September 12th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence is critical to organisations, but many unprepared - Workplace Insight - September 12th, 2020
- US DoD to Focus C4ISR Spending on Commercial IT Advances in Artificial Intelligence and Cloud Computing - PRNewswire - September 12th, 2020
- UC Riverside Wins Grant to Bring Artificial Intelligence to the Colorado River Basin - AG INFORMATION NETWORK OF THE WEST - AGInfo Ag Information... - September 12th, 2020
- How the VA is using artificial intelligence to improve veterans' mental health | TheHill - The Hill - September 12th, 2020
- 3 Predictions For The Role Of Artificial Intelligence In Art And Design - Forbes - September 6th, 2020
- Catalyst of change: Bringing artificial intelligence to the forefront - The Financial Express - September 6th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence: How realistic is the claim that AI will change our lives? - Bangkok Post - September 6th, 2020
- 3 Ways Artificial Intelligence Is Transforming The Energy Industry - OilPrice.com - September 6th, 2020
- Toward a machine learning model that can reason about everyday actions - MIT News - September 6th, 2020
- The fourth generation of AI is here, and its called Artificial Intuition - The Next Web - September 6th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Is Helping to Spot California Wildfires - GovTech - September 6th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence expert moves to Montreal because it's an AI hub - Montreal Gazette - September 6th, 2020
- MQ-9 Reaper Flies With AI Pod That Sifts Through Huge Sums Of Data To Pick Out Targets - The Drive - September 6th, 2020
- 60% of enterprises believe AI will disrupt their business in 2-3 years: Nasscom/EY - Economic Times - September 6th, 2020
- 3 Daunting Ways Artificial Intelligence Will Transform The World Of Work - Forbes - August 12th, 2020
- The Guardian view on artificial intelligence's revolution: learning but not as we know it - The Guardian - August 12th, 2020
- What Is The Artificial Intelligence Revolution And Why Does It Matter To Your Business? - Forbes - August 12th, 2020
- Digitalized Discrimination: COVID-19 and the Impact of Bias in Artificial Intelligence - JD Supra - August 12th, 2020
- Adopting IT Advances: Artificial Intelligence and Real Challenges - CIO Applications - August 12th, 2020
- Stanford Center for Health Education Launches Online Program in Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare to Improve Patient Outcomes - PRNewswire - August 12th, 2020
- The costs and benefits of artificial intelligence - The Japan Times - August 12th, 2020
- Analysis Covid 19: Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare Market Scenario 2020 Current Trends, Size, Share and Future Opportunities by 2026 - The... - August 12th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence can improve CT screening to identify patients infected with the Coronavirus - EdexLive - August 12th, 2020
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Artificial intelligence could be your best friend in finding a new one - The Conversation US - August 12th, 2020
- Evil AI: These are the 20 most dangerous crimes that artificial intelligence will create - ZDNet - August 6th, 2020
- 3 Important Ways Artificial Intelligence Will Transform Your Business And Turbocharge Success - Forbes - August 6th, 2020
- Experts Are Divided Over Future Of Artificial Intelligence But Agree On Its Growing Impact - Outlook India - August 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market Will Accelerate at a CAGR of Over 48% Through 2020-2024|Growing Adoption of... - August 6th, 2020