(TNS) Researchers at the University of Michigan have been exploring the need to set ethics standards and policies when it comes to the use of artificial intelligence, and they now have their own place to do so.
The university has created a new Center of Ethics, Society and Computing (ESC) that will focus on AI, data usage, augmented and virtual reality, privacy, open data and identity.
According to thecenters website, the name and abbreviation alludes to the ESC key on a computer keyboard, which was added to interrupt a program when it produced unwanted results.
In the same way, the Center for Ethics, Society and Computing (ESC pronounced escape) is dedicated to intervening when digital media and computing technologies reproduce inequality, exclusion, corruption, deception, racism or sexism, the centers mission statement reads.
The center will bring together scholars who are committed to feminist, justice-focused, inclusive and interdisciplinary approaches to computing, the university said in a news release.
Associate Director Silvia Lindtner said the center has been in a soft launch phase since March 2019. The idea for ESC was born out of making a critical engagement with the politics and ethics of computing a central aspect of technology research and design, she said.
We established ESC to build on and give legitimacy to the long-term scholarship and activism in technology, engineering and design, and to create an interdisciplinary space to explore and apply critical, justice-oriented and feminist approaches to computing and technology research, Lindtner said.
Director Christian Sandvig said the center is hosting a visiting artist working on robotics this term, and that the center includes faculty from computer science, architecture, music and business schools.
We are fairly unique because we are aggressively pursuing research approaches and topics beyond what people normally think about as computing, Sandvig said.
Lindtner said the universitys public nature allows the center to engage deeply with the broader public, policy experts and actors in the social justice movement.
This is a topic that used to be on the fringes, but more recently has gotten broader attention as we have experienced many unintended consequences of technology, Lindtner said.
Some of the concerns the center will be tackling include gender and racial stereotyping in AI and data-based algorithms, as well as an overall lack of accountability and digital justice.
Sandvig said a lot of companies are now rushing to nominal ethics conversations as a solution to the negative perceptions of their products, but ESC is not interested in ethics-washing.
Were looking ahead to difficult debates about the future path we are steering with technology in society, Sandvig said. We need to make it normal that there is an extensive program of research about this topic ethics, justice, technology, people and the future and it must be central to the enterprise of developing technology and training students.
The center is sponsored by the School of Information; the Center for Political Studies at the Institute for Social Research, and the Department of Communication Studies in the College of Literature, Sciences and the Arts at UM.
2020 MLive.com, Walker, Mich..Distributed byTribune Content Agency, LLC.
- Stanford launches an accelerated test of AI to help with Covid-19 care - STAT - April 2nd, 2020
- Stanford is Using Artificial Intelligence to Help Treat Coronavirus Patients - ETF Trends - April 2nd, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence is Going to Make Your Analytics Better Than Ever - Security Magazine - April 2nd, 2020
- STAT's guide to how hospitals are using AI to fight Covid-19 - STAT - April 2nd, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Retail Market Projected to Grow with a CAGR of 35.9% Over the Forecast Period, 2019-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo... - April 2nd, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence turns a persons thoughts into text - Times of India - April 2nd, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence News: Latest Advancements in AI ... - March 30th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Why Artificial Intelligence Is Important To You - March 30th, 2020
- The real risks of artificial intelligence - BBC Future - March 30th, 2020
- Pros and Cons of Artificial Intelligence - HRF - March 30th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence: The fourth industrial revolution - March 30th, 2020
- 16 Artificial Intelligence Pros and Cons Vittana.org - March 30th, 2020
- Top 75 Artificial Intelligence Websites & Blogs For AI ... - March 30th, 2020
- What Skills Do I Need to Get a Job in Artificial Intelligence? - March 30th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach (3rd Edition ... - March 30th, 2020
- Top 12 Artificial Intelligence Tools & Frameworks | Edureka - March 30th, 2020
- AI Standards | NIST - March 30th, 2020
- AI Tutorial | Artificial Intelligence Tutorial - Javatpoint - March 30th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in India Opportunities, Risks ... - March 30th, 2020
- The Global Artificial Intelligence in Aviation Market is ... - March 30th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Business: How to Use AI in Your ... - March 30th, 2020
- 10 Business Functions That Are Ready To Use Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - March 30th, 2020
- COVID-19: AI can help - but the right human input is key - World Economic Forum - March 30th, 2020
- 6 Visions of How Artificial Intelligence will Change Architecture - ArchDaily - March 30th, 2020
- Futuristic Impacts of AI Over Businesses and Society - Analytics Insight - March 30th, 2020
- As adoption of artificial intelligence accelerates, can the technology be trusted? - SiliconANGLE News - March 30th, 2020
- Role of AI soars in tackling Covid-19 pandemic - BusinessLine - March 30th, 2020
- Google and the Oxford Internet Institute explain artificial intelligence basics with the A-Z of AI - VentureBeat - March 28th, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare Market - Premium Insight, Competitive News Feed Analysis, Company Usability Profiles, Market Sizing &... - March 28th, 2020
- VA Looking to Expand Usage of Artificial Intelligence Data - GovernmentCIO Media - March 28th, 2020
- The future through Artificial Intelligence - The Star Online - March 28th, 2020
- The Global Artificial Intelligence in Retail Market is expected to grow from USD 1,956.36 Million in 2018 to USD 5,512.37 Million by the end of 2025... - March 28th, 2020
- Why transparency is key to promoting trust in artificial intelligence - IT PRO - March 28th, 2020
- Is artificial intelligence the answer to disease prevention? - The Burn-In - March 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Spain to use artificial intelligence to automate testing - ComputerWeekly.com - March 28th, 2020
- Bridging the gaps: joining human and artificial intelligence | Technology - Business Chief Canada - March 28th, 2020
- To fight the coronavirus spread, give artificial intelligence a chance - Livemint - March 28th, 2020
- What Is Artificial Intelligence (AI)? - IoT For All - March 22nd, 2020
- Stanford virtual conference to focus on COVID19 and artificial intelligence | Stanford News - Stanford University News - March 22nd, 2020
- Developing new light of tomorrow with artificial intelligence - ELE Times - March 22nd, 2020
- Is it right to use artificial intelligence in aviation security? - Airport Technology - March 22nd, 2020
- Artificial intelligence taking lessons on how to second-guess us - Times of India - March 22nd, 2020
- AI and humans will co-exist, not compete, and AI will serve us, not the other way round - The National - March 22nd, 2020
- Is Your Company Using Artificial Intelligence To Transform An Industry? Nominations For The Forbes 2020 AI 50 List Are Now Open - Forbes - March 19th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence is Becoming the Future of Investment Platforms - EnterpriseTalk - March 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence myths: Reality check - Livemint - March 19th, 2020
- On the Role of Artificial Intelligence in Genomics to Enhance Precisio | PGPM - Dove Medical Press - March 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence recruited to find clues about Covid-19 - The Star Online - March 19th, 2020
- Battery Researchers Look to Artificial Intelligence to Slash Recharging Times - Greentech Media News - March 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence: The new power dynamic of today - Daily Sabah - March 19th, 2020
- Canon Medical's 3T MR System Receives FDA Clearance for Artificial Intelligence-Based Image Reconstruction Technology - BioSpace - March 19th, 2020
- Rethinking Financial Services with Artificial Intelligence Tools - The Financial Brand - March 19th, 2020
- An Unexpected Ally in the War With Bacteria - The Atlantic - March 19th, 2020
- The Army Will Soon Be Able to Command Robot Tanks With Artificial Intelligence - The National Interest - March 19th, 2020
- BWIRE: Artificial Intelligence could be helpful in dealing with... - Citizen TV - March 19th, 2020
- San Diego-Based Company takes Digital Marketing to the next Level by Launching the First Artificial Intelligence Marketing Agency in the United States... - March 19th, 2020
- Asia Pacific Artificial Intelligence in Fashion Market to 2027 - Featuring Amazon.com, Catchoom and Facebook Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - March 19th, 2020
- The next step in digital transformation: is Artificial Intelligence production-ready for green sand foundries? - Foundry-Planet.com - March 19th, 2020
- The influence of artificial intelligence on the current trends of material science - Economic Times - March 19th, 2020
- Insights into the North America Artificial Intelligence in Fashion Market to 2027 - Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities and Trends -... - March 19th, 2020
- This Artificial Intelligence Stock Raised Its Dividend on "Black Thursday" - Nasdaq - March 19th, 2020
- The Evolution of Artificial Intelligence and Future of National Security - The National Interest - March 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus: How Artificial Intelligence, Data Science And Technology Is Used To Fight The Pandemic - Forbes - March 15th, 2020
- Blockchain and Artificial Intelligence Convergence Powering the Robotics Capability - EnterpriseTalk - March 15th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence And Smartphone Photography: How Tech Makes You Look Like A Pro (infographic) - Digital Information World - March 15th, 2020
- Trepper: The Anti-Bigotry App That Uses Artificial Intelligence to Identify White Nationalists - Capital Research Center - March 15th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence won't rule the world so long as humans rule AI - The Age - March 15th, 2020
- Detailed Insights on the Global Artificial Intelligence in Enterprise Communications and Collaboration Market, 2019 - How AI is Making Inroads into... - March 12th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Applications: Is Your Business Implementing AI Smartly? - IoT For All - March 12th, 2020
- Verizon Connect Integrated Video Utilizes Artificial Intelligence | Security News - SecurityInformed - March 12th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Supply Chain Market to Grow at a CAGR of 45.3% to Reach $21.8 billion by 2027, Largely Driven by the Consistent... - March 12th, 2020
- Global smart-city artificial intelligence software revenue set to rise sevenfold by 2025, spurred by advancing AI and connectivity technologies -... - March 12th, 2020
- Cybersecurity pros are using artificial intelligence but still prefer the human touch - TechRepublic - March 12th, 2020
- The VA Has Embraced Artificial Intelligence To Improve Veterans' Health Care - KPBS - March 12th, 2020
- Why Artificial Intelligence Is Biased Against Women - IFLScience - March 12th, 2020
- Jvion Tackles Socioeconomic Barriers to Care with Industry-Leading Artificial Intelligence - GlobeNewswire - March 12th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Controlled Submarines Are Developed By The US Navy - Maritime Herald - March 12th, 2020
- Top 5 things to know about the state of artificial intelligence - TechRepublic - March 5th, 2020
- Global Healthcare Artificial Intelligence Market was Estimated to Grow at 25.9% CAGR During the Forecast Period Due to the Rising Adoption of... - March 5th, 2020
- The Temptations: Will Artificial Intelligence Ever Replace Broadway Shows? - Grit Daily - March 5th, 2020