Wall Street rarely talks about its mistakes, but Deutsche Bank admitted it overestimated the Amazon Web Services threat to VMware's business.
The firm raised its rating for VMware shares on Monday to buy from hold, saying the company's server virtualization software can continue to thrive in a cloud-computing world.
"We've spent much of the last two years worried about VMware's on-premise core server business given its maturity and the threat from AWS/Cloud adoption [Amazon Web Services]," analyst Karl Keirstead wrote in a note to clients entitled "Overcoming our AWS fears."
"This upgrade should be seen in the context of growing evidence that large enterprises are embracing a hybrid model, materially lowering the out-year risk profile of VMware shares."
The hybrid model is defined by companies using both local servers on-site and cloud-computing servers off-site. Keirstead said he realized the staying power of VMWare's on-site server market was more "durable" than he originally forecast.
"We believe that large enterprises are migrating IT workloads to the public cloud model at a slower-than-expected pace and are electing to ramp spending to modernize their on-premise IT infrastructures," he wrote. "Our recent checks agree that VMware technology is proving to be more durable than they would have thought 12-18 months ago."
As a result, Keirstead increased his VMware price target to $120, which is 24 percent higher than Monday's close. His previous price target was $110.
VMware shares are outperforming the market this year. Shares have risen 23.2 percent year to date through Monday compared with the S&P 500's 8.5 percent gain.
The analyst said he is also cautiously optimistic about the VMware and Amazon AWS strategic partnership announced in October, which enables access to AWS computing power for the company's customers.
"We are positive on the deal for both parties. It is hard to imagine how this could end up being a net negative for either party," he wrote. "We conclude that the stock can still work even if the initial lift from VMware Cloud on AWS is modest."
VMware will report second-quarter earnings on Thursday after the market close. Its stock traded up 1.8 percent short after Tuesday's market open.
CNBC's Michael Bloom contributed to this story.
- Why Kubernetes Is the Future of Cloud Computing - Barron's - December 6th, 2019
- We Need to Talk About Cloud Sprawl - Computer Business Review - December 6th, 2019
- Cloud computing IaaS in Life Science Market Research, Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 - Statsflash - December 6th, 2019
- The New Paradoxes of the Cloud Computing World - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Andy Jassy's 12 Boldest Remarks On The Future Of Cloud Computing - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - December 5th, 2019
- How cloud computing can help your small business thrive - http://smallbusiness.co.uk - December 5th, 2019
- The importance of Cloud Computing for the Utility Industry - Doxee - December 5th, 2019
- Animal Logic promotes cloud computing as democratizing the future of animation - Mash Viral - December 5th, 2019
- Cloud Computing in Education Market: Competitive Landscape and Recent Industry Development Analysis 2017 - 2025 - Weekly Spy - December 5th, 2019
- Breaking Down Amazon's Storage-Related AWS News Announcements - ITPro Today - December 5th, 2019
- Why cloud computing is requiring us to rethink resiliency at the Edge - IT PRO - December 5th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market Poised for Steady Growth in the Future 2019 - 2028 - Weekly Spy - December 5th, 2019
- AWS and Verizon partner on 5G edge cloud computing - Data Economy - December 5th, 2019
- Cloud now the destination for finance, says survey - www.computing.co.uk - December 5th, 2019
- How The Parts Add Up: The First Trust Cloud Computing ETF Headed For $68 - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- What's Happening at the Cloud Insight Jam on December 19th? - Solutions Review - December 2nd, 2019
- Amazon Just Joined The Race To Dominate Quantum Computing In The Cloud - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market in Healthcare Research and Development Key Players, Industry Overview and Forecast Analysis - Montana Ledger - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud-software stocks weather harsh start to December amid tech-spending concerns - MarketWatch - December 2nd, 2019
- Technology Leader of the Year: Enabling the Digital Transformation - IndustryWeek - December 2nd, 2019
- Data in the Cloud is Much More at Risk Than Enterprises May Think - CISO MAG - December 2nd, 2019
- Global Cloud Computing Market Competitive Analysis 2019 By Top Companies Strategies Till 2028 - Sound On Sound Fest - December 2nd, 2019
- Think of data as the new uranium rather than the new oil and treat it like it's toxic - Cloud Tech - December 2nd, 2019
- Is Crowd Computing the Next Big Thing? - EE Journal - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market revenue in Europe to exceed USD 75 Bn by 2026: Global Market Insights, Inc. - GlobeNewswire - November 30th, 2019
- IT solutions found in the cloud - AZ Big Media - November 30th, 2019
- Alibaba wants its cloud computing to help power the future - Abacus - November 30th, 2019
- McAfee notes the gap between cloud-first and cloud-only yet optimism reigns on success - Cloud Tech - November 30th, 2019
- Why glass might be the future of data storage - Financial Times - November 30th, 2019
- The best Software as a Service (SaaS) companies of the 2010s decade - TechRepublic - November 30th, 2019
- Microsoft, not Amazon, is going to win the cloud wars - IT PRO - November 30th, 2019
- Infarm plants its blend of vertical farming and cloud computing in QFC grocery stores - GeekWire - November 30th, 2019
- What to expect from AWS Re:Invent 2019 - IT PRO - November 30th, 2019
- Microsoft and AT&T expand upon partnership to deliver Azure services on 5G core - Cloud Tech - November 26th, 2019
- AI, Cloud Computing and IoT: How digitalisation is driving dramatic IT changes in healthcare - Techerati - November 26th, 2019
- The Impact of Cloud Computing on the Insurance Industry - Doxee - November 26th, 2019
- Its in the Cloud, So it Secure . . . Maybe! - Security Boulevard - November 26th, 2019
- Study shows continued cloud maturation in Nordics with manufacturing a standout - Cloud Tech - November 26th, 2019
- As Per New Report on Hybrid Cloud Computing Market Will Touch a New Level in Upcoming Years | Microsoft Corporation, Cisco Systems, and Amazon Web... - November 26th, 2019
- Infarm plants its blend of vertical farming and cloud computing in QFC grocery stores - Yahoo Tech - November 26th, 2019
- 'Guess What, There's A Cost For That': Getting Cloud & AI Right - Breaking Defense - November 26th, 2019
- AWS re:Invent 2019 - Predictions And A Wishlist - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- Review: How NeuVector protects containers throughout their lifecycle - CSO Online - November 26th, 2019
- VMware Reports Earnings Today. Heres What to Expect. - Barron's - November 26th, 2019
- HiveIO Top 5 IT Predictions For 2020 - RTInsights - November 26th, 2019
- Adoption of Cloud-Native Architecture, Part 1: Architecture Evolution and Maturity - InfoQ.com - November 26th, 2019
- Cloud, AI, and personalisation: Key issues to consider - www.computing.co.uk - November 26th, 2019
- Global Medical Device Security Solutions Market 2020-2024 | Increasing Demand for Cloud-Based Solutions to Boost the Market Growth | Technavio -... - November 26th, 2019
- Cloud computing IaaS in Life Science Market Global Industry Demand, Scope and Strategic Outlook,Growth Analysis,Business Opportunities and Future... - November 26th, 2019
- How much cloud does an IT disaster recovery plan need? - TechTarget - November 26th, 2019
- Cyber and the cloud: Overcoming the key security challenges amid multi-cloud rise - Cloud Tech - November 24th, 2019
- Global Healthcare Cloud Computing Market 2018-2022 | Introduction of Blockchain in Cloud Computing to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - November 24th, 2019
- Alibaba Is Taking the Cloud Battle to Amazon - Investopedia - November 24th, 2019
- Video Streaming Platforms And The Benefits Of Cloud - Forbes - November 24th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market Expected to Grow at 623.3 Billion In Revenue by 2023 - Hitz Dairies - November 24th, 2019
- Amazon reportedly restricted partners at its New York conference from mentioning competitors like Microsoft and Google - Business Insider - November 24th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Market Segmentation and Analysis by Recent Trends, Development and Growth by Regions to 2024 - Eastlake Times - November 24th, 2019
- Cloud computing | computer science | Britannica - November 20th, 2019
- What Is Cloud Computing? How Does Cloud Computing Work ... - November 20th, 2019
- Top Cloud Computing ETFs - November 20th, 2019
- Cloud Computing: Where the Jobs Are - BlackEngineer.com - November 20th, 2019
- Ask the Expert: Cloud Computing in 2020 - Datamation - November 20th, 2019
- Gartner: Cloud computing revenues to jump in coming years - The Advocate - November 20th, 2019
- Nutanix Hires Former Nexenta CEO To Build 'Hybrid Cloud Powerhouse' - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 20th, 2019
- Across the enterprise: Tackle Industry 4.0 with edge, fog and cloud computing - CanadianManufacturing.com - November 20th, 2019
- Cloud Native Computing Foundation Announces 2019 Community Awards Winners - PRNewswire - November 20th, 2019
- ExtraHop Extends Cloud-Native Network Detection and Response with Google Cloud Platform Integration - Business Wire - November 20th, 2019
- Cloud Computing in Industrial IoT Market in-depth approaches behind the Success of Top Players like Cisco, GE, ChargePoint, Honeywell, Intel, IBM -... - November 18th, 2019
- Task force on artificial intelligence hearing: AI and the evolution of cloud computing - key testimony on the risks, challenges and opportunities -... - November 18th, 2019
- Cloud computing: SaaS, IaaS or PaaS - which is growing fastest? - ZDNet - November 17th, 2019
- How governments can use cloud computing to reduce risk and improve service delivery - Which-50 - November 17th, 2019
- Regulators begin probe into Google-Ascension cloud computing deal: WSJ - Reuters - November 17th, 2019
- Why cloud computing can get you a job 'anywhere in the world' - Siliconrepublic.com - November 17th, 2019
- Salesforce signs a big new deal with Microsoft's cloud to power one of its core products - Business Insider - November 17th, 2019
- Online Education Market in India 2018-2022 | Emergence of Cloud Computing to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - November 17th, 2019
- France and Germany outline its plan to boost European cloud computing sector - Data Economy - November 17th, 2019
- Adobe Stock: Is The Cloud Computing Leader Ready For Another Leg Up? - Investor's Business Daily - November 17th, 2019
- UPDATE 1-Regulators begin probe into Google-Ascension cloud computing deal -WSJ - Reuters - November 17th, 2019
- CEO Andy Jassy reportedly said AWS is two years ahead of Microsoft - Business Insider - November 17th, 2019
- US Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Size & Share 2019 Predictions and Analysis Report by 2027: Facts & Factors (FnF) - The World Industry... - November 17th, 2019