Cloud computing is a general term for anything that involves delivering hosted services over the Internet. These services are broadly divided into three categories: Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS), Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) and Software-as-a-Service (SaaS). The name cloud computing was inspired by the cloud symbol that's often used to represent the Internet in flowcharts and diagrams.
A cloud service has three distinct characteristics that differentiate it from traditional web hosting. It is sold on demand, typically by the minute or the hour; it is elastic -- a user can have as much or as little of a service as they want at any given time; and the service is fully managed by the provider (the consumer needs nothing but a personal computer and Internet access). Significant innovations in virtualization and distributed computing, as well as improved access to high-speed Internet, have accelerated interest in cloud computing.
A cloud can be private or public. A public cloud sells services to anyone on the Internet. (Currently, Amazon Web Services is the largest public cloud provider.) A private cloud is a proprietary network or a data center that supplies hosted services to a limited number of people. Private or public, the goal of cloud computing is to provide easy, scalable access to computing resources and IT services.
Private cloud services are delivered from a business's data center to internal users. This model offers the versatility and convenience of the cloud, while preserving the management, control and security common to local data centers. Internal users may or may not be billed for services throughIT chargeback. Common private cloud technologies and vendors include VMware and OpenStack.
In the public cloud model, a third-party cloud service provider delivers the cloud service over the internet. Public cloud services are sold on demand, typically by the minute or hour, though long-term commitments are available for many services. Customers only pay for theCPUcycles,storageorbandwidththey consume. Leading public cloud service providers include Amazon Web Services (AWS), MicrosoftAzure,IBMandGoogle Cloud Platform.
A hybrid cloud is a combination of public cloud services and an on-premises private cloud, with orchestration and automation between the two. Companies can run mission-critical workloads or sensitive applications on the private cloud and use the public cloud to handle workload bursts or spikes in demand.The goal of a hybrid cloud is to create a unified, automated, scalable environment that takes advantage of all that a public cloud infrastructure can provide, while still maintaining control over mission-critical data.
In addition, organizations are increasingly embracing a multicloud model, or the use of multiple infrastructure-as-a-service providers. This enables applications to migrate between different cloud providers or to even operate concurrently across two or more cloud providers. Organizations adopt multicloud for various reasons. For example, they could do so to minimize the risk of a cloud service outage or to take advantage of more competitive pricing from a particular provider. Multicloud implementation and application development can be a challenge because of the differences between cloud providers' services and application program interfaces (APIs). Multicloud deployments should become easier, however, as providers' services and APIs converge and become more homogeneous through industry initiatives such as the Open Cloud Computing Interface.
Cloud computing boasts several attractive benefits for businesses and end users. Five of the main benefits of cloud computing are:
Although cloud computing has changed over time, it has been divided into three broad service categories: infrastructure as a service (IaaS), platform as a service (PaaS) and software as a service (SaaS).
IaaS providers, such as AWS, supply avirtual serverinstance and storage, as well as APIs that enable users to migrateworkloadsto aVM. Users have an allocated storage capacity and can start, stop, access and configure the VM and storage as desired. IaaS providers offer small, medium, large, extra-large and memory- or compute-optimized instances, in addition to customized instances, for various workload needs.
In the PaaS model, cloud providers host development tools on their infrastructures. Users access these tools over the internet using APIs, webportalsor gateway software. PaaS is used for general software development, and many PaaS providers host the software after it's developed. Common PaaS providers include Salesforce'sForce.com,AWS Elastic BeanstalkandGoogle App Engine.
SaaS is a distribution model that delivers software applications over the internet; these applications are often calledweb services. Users can access SaaS applications and services from any location using a computer or mobile device that has internet access. One common example of a SaaS application is MicrosoftOffice 365for productivity and email services.
Cloud providers are competitive, and they constantly expand their services to differentiate themselves. This has led public IaaS providers to offer far more than common compute and storage instances.
For example, serverless, or event-driven computing is a cloud service that executes specific functions, such as image processing and database updates. Traditional cloud deployments require users to establish a compute instance and load code into that instance. Then, the user decides how long to run -- and pay for -- that instance.
With serverless computing, developers simply create code, and the cloud provider loads and executes that code in response to real-world events, so users don't have to worry about the server or instance aspect of the cloud deployment. Users only pay for the number of transactions that the function executes. AWS Lambda, Google Cloud Functions and Azure Functions are examples of serverless computing services.
Public cloud computing also lends itself well to big data processing, which demands enormous compute resources for relatively short durations. Cloud providers have responded with big data services, including Google BigQuery for large-scale data warehousing and Microsoft Azure Data Lake Analytics for processing huge data sets.
Another crop of emerging cloud technologies and services relates to artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning. These technologies build machine understanding, enable systems to mimic human understanding and respond to changes in data to benefit the business. Amazon Machine Learning, Amazon Lex, Amazon Polly, Google Cloud Machine Learning Engine and Google Cloud Speech API are examples of these services.
Security remains a primary concern for businesses contemplating cloud adoption -- especially public cloud adoption. Public cloud service providers share their underlying hardware infrastructure between numerous customers, as public cloud is amulti-tenant environment. This environment demands copious isolation between logical compute resources. At the same time, access to public cloud storage and compute resources is guarded by account login credentials.
Many organizations bound by complexregulatoryobligations andgovernancestandards are still hesitant to place data or workloads in the public cloud for fear of outages, loss or theft. However, this resistance is fading, as logical isolation has proven reliable, and the addition of dataencryptionand various identity and access management tools has improved security within the public cloud.
Here is the original post:
What is cloud computing? - Definition from WhatIs.com
- Healthcare Cloud Computing World Market Analyses; 2014-2019 & 2020-2026 - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- A Top Cloud Stock to Buy in 2020 and Hold for the Long Run - Motley Fool - January 19th, 2020
- Global IT compensation is at an all-time high, thanks to skills trainings - TechRepublic - January 19th, 2020
- Job of the Week: Head of Research Computing at the Norwich Biosciences Institute - insideHPC - January 19th, 2020
- Middle East Cloud Applications Market Worth $4.5 Billion by 2024 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PR Newswire UK - January 19th, 2020
- Blockchain is the top skill for 2020, LinkedIn says - CoinGeek - January 19th, 2020
- MongoDB: Riding The Data Wave - Seeking Alpha - January 19th, 2020
- Computing at the edge - ComputerWeekly.com - January 19th, 2020
- Cloud 'land grab' to descend on SA this year - ITWeb - January 19th, 2020
- Supermicro Expands Oracle Relationship with Best in Class Server Solutions - HPCwire - January 19th, 2020
- Blockchain crowned as hottest skill in 2020 ahead of AI and cloud computing - Geekymint.com - January 19th, 2020
- Latin America Cloud Computing Market Study, 2019-2023 - Market to Exhibit a CAGR of 22.4%, Driven by the Increasing Demand for Hybrid Cloud Solutions... - January 17th, 2020
- Top 7 emerging hybrid cloud computing trends to watch in 2020 - Express Computer - January 17th, 2020
- Middle East Cloud Applications Market Worth $4.5 Billion by 2024 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - Yahoo Finance - January 17th, 2020
- Socionext Side Steps the Pitfalls of Cloud Computing with New Edge Computing Devices - News - All About Circuits - January 17th, 2020
- LinkedIn: Blockchain beats AI and cloud computing for hottest skill in 2020 - The Next Web - January 17th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Education Sector Market 2019 Global Trends, Business Opportunities and Future Scenario Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 17th, 2020
- Majority of workloads will go to cloud in 2020 - TechHQ - January 17th, 2020
- What will the end of Windows 7 mean for business? - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - January 17th, 2020
- These are the most in-demand job skills in 2020, according to LinkedIn - CNBC - January 17th, 2020
- Alibaba's 10 Tech Trends to Watch in... - Alizila - January 17th, 2020
- 10 ETFs Crushing the Market to Start 2020 - Nasdaq - January 17th, 2020
- Wall Street expects gains for Alphabet and the rest of the $1 trillion gang to slow from here - CNBC - January 17th, 2020
- 5 things to know for January 17: Colt, CNet Training, AWS and HPE appointments - Data Economy - January 17th, 2020
- Xanadu Receives $4.4M Investment to Advance its Photonic Quantum Computing Technology - HPCwire - January 17th, 2020
- Top 5 Cloud Computing Trends of 2020 - Analytics Insight - January 5th, 2020
- Global Healthcare Cloud Computing Market to Reach $51.9B by 2024 - HITInfrastructure.com - January 5th, 2020
- 2020 vision: Synopsys predictions - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - January 5th, 2020
- Managing Cloud Security In A Multicloud Environment (Part 2) - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- Global Cloud Computing for Business Operations Market 2019 SWOT Analysis Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure - Food & Beverage Herald - January 5th, 2020
- Microsoft Stock Soared in 2019. Heres Why It Could Continue to Outperform This Year. - Barron's - January 5th, 2020
- Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Size, Outlook on Key Growth Trends, Factors and Forecast to 2026 - ReportsPioneer - January 5th, 2020
- 3 Top Tech Stocks to Buy in January - The Motley Fool - January 5th, 2020
- The Cloud infrastructure race who is better: AWS or Azure? - TechiExpert.com - January 5th, 2020
- Centilytics Becomes the First Cloud Management Platform to Introduce Flat Fees and Widget-Based Pricing - EnterpriseTalk - January 5th, 2020
- Five Technology Trends in 2020 that Will Affect Your Business - eWeek - January 5th, 2020
- Disney+ Could Be Halfway to Its 5-Year Subscriber Goal Already - Nasdaq - January 5th, 2020
- Centilytics Becomes the First Cloud Management Platform to Introduce Flat Fees and Widget-Based Pricing - PRNewswire - December 30th, 2019
- 20 stocks to buy in 2020: Apple, Amazon and Disney are among favorites of Wall Street pros - USA TODAY - December 30th, 2019
- Introduction of 5G-Enabled Value Added Services to Boost APAC Telecom Sector Revenues, finds Frost & Sullivan - PRNewswire - December 30th, 2019
- What are the Top 3 Trends in Cloud Computing? - CIOReview - December 27th, 2019
- This Cloud Computing Stock Is Transforming the $1.2 Trillion Drug Industry - Money Morning - December 27th, 2019
- Debunking the Myths Associated with Migrating to the Cloud & Cloud Visibility - Security Boulevard - December 27th, 2019
- Protect the cloud with essential security training - Android Authority - December 27th, 2019
- Hybrid Cloud to Gain Traction in 2020: 5 Stocks in Focus - Zacks.com - December 27th, 2019
- Extending the Circle of Trust with Confidential Computing - Infosecurity Magazine - December 27th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Service Market Structure, Industry Inspection, and Forecast 2025 - Info Street Wire - December 27th, 2019
- Tech stocks are poised to close out their best year in a decade, propelled by Apple and AMD - CNBC - December 27th, 2019
- Can Google Ever Catch Amazon And Microsoft In The Cloud? - Benzinga - December 23rd, 2019
- GDPR and the Cloud - Helpful DPC Guidance for Organisations - Lexology - December 23rd, 2019
- HPE goes on the warpath, seeks to scalp AWS over vendor lock-in - The Register - December 23rd, 2019
- The rise of cloud computing is having an impact on data center efficiency and it's not great - CIO Dive - December 22nd, 2019
- NSF Awards Grant to Research Team to Develop Next-Generation Cloud Computing Testbed - HPCwire - December 22nd, 2019
- Data security is the biggest worry in cloud computing - ITProPortal - December 22nd, 2019
- Google reportedly set a goal of being a top-two cloud player by 2023 - CNBC - December 22nd, 2019
- National Science Foundation Awards Grant to Develop Next-Generation Cloud Computing Testbed Powered by Red Hat - Business Wire - December 22nd, 2019
- 2020 vision: Y-Soft print industry predictions - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - December 22nd, 2019
- Amazon used Bluetooth beacons to track attendees at its massive AWS cloud computing conference - Business Insider UK - December 22nd, 2019
- Solving the Data Explosion with Fog and Edge Computing - CDOTrends - December 22nd, 2019
- The true value of cloud-based AI isnt what you think - InfoWorld - December 22nd, 2019
- Raleigh analytics firm Cymatic named most promising startup finalist in The Cloud Awards - WRAL Tech Wire - December 22nd, 2019
- 12 Highlights from the First Annual Cloud Insight Jam - Solutions Review - December 22nd, 2019
- How the DOD Plans to Bring Its JEDI Cloud Contract to Life - FedTech Magazine - December 22nd, 2019
- 4 Ways Healthcare Is Being Transformed by the Cloud - HealthTech Magazine - December 22nd, 2019
- Will Amazon Make a Dent in Cisco's Revenue With This New Project? - The Motley Fool - December 22nd, 2019
- Scale Computing says it was proved right on edge over cloud - Data Economy - December 22nd, 2019
- Cloud computing IaaS in Life Science Market Growth Rate by 2026 Top Key Vendors, Trend, Segmentation, Drivers, Challenges and Forecast - Market... - December 22nd, 2019
- Global Cloud Computing Industry Emerging Trends and Prospects by leading Players Yahoo Inc. CISCO Systems, IBM Co., Hewlett Packard, Dell Inc. -... - December 22nd, 2019
- Cloud computing in 2020: views of the industry - Techerati - December 15th, 2019
- Cloud Computing and Security: The Risks You Need to Know - TechDecisions - December 15th, 2019
- Cloud Computing Security: Agencies Increased Their Use of the Federal Authorization Program, but Improved Oversight and Implementation Are Needed -... - December 15th, 2019
- Cloud Computing: Do You Really Need It? This Will Help You Decide! - Times of India - December 15th, 2019
- IBM Cloud Pak for Security: Full Protection Wherever Data Resides - eWeek - December 15th, 2019
- Cloud Computing in Education Sector Global Market Demand and Forecast 2026 Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, IBM, Aliyun, Google Cloud Platform -... - December 15th, 2019
- Microsoft is pushing forward with JEDI recruiting despite Amazon's legal fight - CNBC - December 15th, 2019
- Global Cloud Computing In Education Market | 2018-2023 Growth Analysis, Business Opportunities, Sales, Revenue, Gross Margin, Advance Technology and... - December 15th, 2019
- This Is How Amazon Web Services Is Turning Its Cloud Into A Supercomputer - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - December 15th, 2019
- Cloud computing IaaS in Life Science Market 2019 | Demand, Growth Analysis, Product Scope and Strategic Outlook 2019-2026 - Downey Magazine - December 15th, 2019
- Cloud Computing in Pharmaceutical Market is Responsible for Increasing Market Share and Forecast 2026 with Top Key Players: Carestream Health, VMware,... - December 15th, 2019
- Global Healthcare Cloud Computing Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - The Market-News 24 - December 15th, 2019