Nobody knows who she was, just that she was different: a teenage girl from over 50,000 years ago of such strange uniqueness she looked to be a 'hybrid' ancestor to modern humans that scientists had never seen before.
Only recently, researchers have uncovered evidence she wasn't alone. In a 2019 study analysing the complex mess of humanity's prehistory, scientists used artificial intelligence (AI) to identify an unknown human ancestor species that modern humans encountered and shared dalliances with on the long trek out of Africa millennia ago.
"About 80,000 years ago, the so-called Out of Africa occurred, when part of the human population, which already consisted of modern humans, abandoned the African continent and migrated to other continents, giving rise to all the current populations", explainedevolutionary biologist Jaume Bertranpetit from the Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Spain.
As modern humans forged this path into the landmass of Eurasia, they forged some other things too breeding with ancient and extinct hominids from other species.
Up until recently, these occasional sexual partners were thought to include Neanderthals and Denisovans, the latter of which were unknown until 2010.
But in this study, a third ex from long ago was isolated in Eurasian DNA, thanks to deep learning algorithms sifting through a complex mass of ancient and modern human genetic code.
Using a statistical technique called Bayesian inference, the researchers found evidence of what they call a "third introgression" a 'ghost' archaic population that modern humans interbred with during the African exodus.
"This population is either related to the Neanderthal-Denisova clade or diverged early from the Denisova lineage," the researchers wrote in their paper, meaning that it's possible this third population in humanity's sexual history was possibly a mix themselves of Neanderthals and Denisovans.
In a sense, from the vantage point of deep learning, it's a hypothetical corroboration of sorts of the teenage girl 'hybrid fossil' identified in 2018;although there's still more work to be done, and the research projects themselves aren't directly linked.
"Our theory coincides with the hybrid specimen discovered recently in Denisova, although as yet we cannot rule out other possibilities", one of the team, genomicist Mayukh Mondal from the University of Tartu in Estonia, said in a press statement at the time of discovery.
That being said, the discoveries being made in this area of science are coming thick and fast.
Also in 2018, another team of researchers identified evidence of what they called a "definite third interbreeding event" alongside Denisovans and Neanderthals, and a pair of papers published in early 2019 traced the timeline of how those extinct species intersected and interbred in clearer detail than ever before.
There's a lot more research to be done here yet. Applying this kind of AI analysis is a decidedly new technique in the field of human ancestry, and the known fossil evidence we're dealing with is amazingly scant.
But according to the research, what the team has found explains not only a long-forgotten process of introgression it's a dalliance that, in its own way, informs part of who we are today.
"We thought we'd try to find these places of high divergence in the genome, see which are Neanderthal and which are Denisovan, and then see whether these explain the whole picture," Bertranpetit told Smithsonian.
"As it happens, if you subtract the Neanderthal and Denisovan parts, there is still something in the genome that is highly divergent."
The findings were published in Nature Communications.
A version of this article was originally published in February 2019.
Read more from the original source:
Artificial Intelligence Has Found an Unknown 'Ghost' Ancestor in The Human Genome - ScienceAlert
- Artificial intelligence that understands object relationships - MIT News - December 3rd, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Works To Identify How Diseases Alter The Body - HealthITAnalytics.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Council of Europe to participate in the Athens Roundtable on Artificial Intelligence and the Rule of Law - Council of Europe - December 3rd, 2021
- Connecticut Money: Artificial intelligence and the AI revolution - New Haven Register - December 3rd, 2021
- Artificial intelligence innovation among medical industry companies dropped off in the last quarter - Verdict Medical Devices - Medical Device Network - December 3rd, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in the Intelligence Community: Oversight Must Not Be an Oversight - Just Security - December 3rd, 2021
- Billion-Dollar Unicorn And Artificial Intelligence Career-Tech Startup Is Improving The Job Search Experience - Forbes - December 3rd, 2021
- Artificial intelligence may not actually be the solution for stopping the spread of fake news - The Conversation CA - December 3rd, 2021
- Healthcare Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market Size to Reach Revenues of USD 44.5 Billion by 2026 - Arizton - PRNewswire - December 3rd, 2021
- Digital Transformation 2021: 5G Technology and Solutions for IoT, Artificial Intelligence in Big Data Analytics and IoT, Digital Twins Market Sizing... - December 3rd, 2021
- Why Artificial Intelligence is Key to Community-Driven Threat Intelligence - ITPro Today - December 3rd, 2021
- 193 countries adopt the first global agreement on the Ethics of Artificial Intelligence - UN News - November 25th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and mobility, who's at the wheel? - Innovation Origins - November 25th, 2021
- Global AI (Artificial Intelligence) Market Report 2021: Ethical AI Practices and Advisory will be Incorporated in AI Technology Growth Strategy to... - November 25th, 2021
- [Webinar] Balancing Compliance with AI Solutions - How Artificial Intelligence Can Drive the Future of Work by Enabling Fair, Efficient, and Auditable... - November 25th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence in the healthcare sector: Lindera successfully closes financing round of six million euros - KULR-TV - November 25th, 2021
- At LI hospitals, the artificial intelligence revolution has already begun - Newsday - November 25th, 2021
- Sunnybrook launches innovative new artificial intelligence research lab with $1-million gift from TD Bank Group - Canada NewsWire - November 25th, 2021
- 6 positive AI visions for the future of work - World Economic Forum - November 25th, 2021
- Relief Therapeutics and InveniAI Sign a Strategic Collaboration Agreement to Identify New Product Development Opportunities using Artificial... - November 25th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Cloud Computing and 5G Will be the Most Important Technologies in 2022, Says New IEEE Study - APN News - November 24th, 2021
- Defining what's ethical in artificial intelligence needs input from Africans - The Conversation Africa - November 24th, 2021
- McGill Artificial Intelligence Society's panel discusses ethics and regulation of artificial intelligence - McGill Tribune - November 24th, 2021
- Staten Island Family Advocating For New Artificial Intelligence Program That Aims To Prevent Drug Overdoses - CBS New York - November 24th, 2021
- Data Scientist vs. Artificial Intelligence Engineer: Which Is a Better Career Choice? - Latest Digital Transformation Trends | Cloud News - Wire19 - November 24th, 2021
- Robotics and artificial intelligence to improve health rehabilitation - EurekAlert - November 24th, 2021
- Job hunting nightmare: 1,000 plus job applications and still no offers - ABC Action News - November 24th, 2021
- How The Overlap Between Artificial Intelligence And Stem Cell Research Is Producing Exciting Results - Forbes - November 24th, 2021
- Amazon and Alphabet lead the way in artificial intelligence, data reveals - Verdict - November 24th, 2021
- Scientists discover lie detector that uses artificial intelligence to detect micro-expressions - WION - November 24th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Successfully Predicts Protein Interactions Could Lead to Wealth of New Drug Targets - SciTechDaily - November 24th, 2021
- Filings buzz: tracking artificial intelligence mentions in the automotive industry - just-auto.com - November 6th, 2021
- The artificial intelligence in healthcare market is projected to grow from USD 6.9 billion in 2021 to USD 67.4 billion by 2027; it is expected to grow... - November 6th, 2021
- Bad Robot? Employing Artificial Intelligence in the Rush to Replace LIBOR - JD Supra - November 6th, 2021
- NATO ups the ante on disruptive tech, artificial intelligence - DefenseNews.com - November 6th, 2021
- Night vision and artificial intelligence reveal secrets of spider webs - BBC Science Focus Magazine - November 6th, 2021
- The Cultural Benefits of Artificial Intelligence in the Enterprise - MIT Sloan - November 6th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence is getting better at writing, and universities should worry about plagiarism - The Conversation CA - November 6th, 2021
- Google-parent Alphabet has set up a new lab that will use A.I. to try to discover new drugs - CNBC - November 6th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence hiring levels in the tech industry dropped in September 2021 - Verdict - November 6th, 2021
- A Tale Of Two Jurisdictions: Sufficiency Of Disclosure For Artificial Intelligence (AI) Patents In The US And The EPO - Intellectual Property - United... - November 6th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Manufacturing Market Worth $13.96 billion by 2028 Exclusive Report by Meticulous Research - Yahoo Finance - November 6th, 2021
- Why testing must address the trust-based issues surrounding artificial intelligence - Aerospace Testing International - November 6th, 2021
- US/EU Initiative Spotlights Cooperation, Differing Approaches To Regulation Of Artificial Intelligence Systems - Privacy - Worldwide - Mondaq News... - November 6th, 2021
- How does McLaren win the race both on the track and in cyberspace? With innovation and Artificial Intelligence - Entrepreneur - November 6th, 2021
- Ethics and governance of artificial intelligence for health - November 1st, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence, Automation and The Future of Corporate Finance - PRNewswire - November 1st, 2021
- DISA Moves to Combat Intensifying Cyber Threats with Artificial Intelligence - Nextgov - November 1st, 2021
- A Look Into The Future: EEOC Announces Artificial Intelligence Initiative - JD Supra - November 1st, 2021
- Yuval Noah Harari on the power of data, artificial intelligence and the future of the human race - CBS News - November 1st, 2021
- FEATURE: How is artificial intelligence changing these five industries? - Nantwich News - November 1st, 2021
- UMass Amherst and Brigham and Women's Hospital to Lead New Center on Artificial Intelligence, Aging and Alzheimer's, Funded by $20 Million NIA Grant -... - November 1st, 2021
- KLA Corporation Opens New Artificial Intelligence-Advanced Computing Lab at Indian Institute of Technology Madras Research Park - PR Newswire India - November 1st, 2021
- Israel and Germany Kick Off Digital Cooperation to Boost Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare - Algemeiner - November 1st, 2021
- High-performance, low-cost machine learning infrastructure is accelerating innovation in the cloud - MIT Technology Review - November 1st, 2021
- Humans in the loop: it takes people to ensure artificial intelligence success - ZDNet - October 30th, 2021
- Vlodomyr Kindratenko Named Director of the Center for Artificial Intelligence Innovation at NCSA - HPCwire - October 30th, 2021
- Yeah, were spooked: AI starting to have big real-world impact, says expert - The Guardian - October 30th, 2021
- Expert warns that artificial intelligence could soon be able to 'hack' human beings | TheHill - The Hill - October 30th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare Market worth $67.4 billion by 2027 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - Yahoo Finance - October 30th, 2021
- Machine learning can revolutionize healthcare, but it also carries legal risks - Healthcare IT News - October 30th, 2021
- Reliable Health Assistants Yielded by Artificial Intelligence - Analytics Insight - October 30th, 2021
- UNESCO Conducts a Training on Artificial Intelligence for Disaster Response in Tanzania - Africanews English - October 30th, 2021
- MIT Centre for Future Skills Excellence Concludes the 5-Week, Short Term Course on Artificial Intelligence for Teachers - PR Newswire India - October 30th, 2021
- The Coming Convergence of NFTs and Artificial Intelligence - Yahoo Finance - October 30th, 2021
- AT&T and H2O.ai Launch Co-Developed Artificial Intelligence Feature Store with Industry-First Capabilities - inForney.com - October 28th, 2021
- US Leadership in Artificial Intelligence is Still Possible - Council on Foreign Relations - October 28th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in the Education Sector Market Size Forecasted to be Worth USD 17.83 Billion by 2027 - TechBullion - October 28th, 2021
- Global Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market to Reach US$291.5 Billion by the Year 2026 - Yahoo Finance - October 28th, 2021
- Pinecone Recognized as a 2021 Gartner Cool Vendor in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning - PRNewswire - October 28th, 2021
- How artificial intelligence is driving the growth of startups - YourStory - October 28th, 2021
- How Has Artificial Intelligence Affected The Casino Industry? - KHTS Radio - October 28th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence to power the banks of the Future - Google - IT Brief New Zealand - October 28th, 2021
- Filings buzz in the power industry: 16% increase in artificial intelligence mentions in Q2 of 2021 - Power Technology - October 28th, 2021
- U.S. and UK Form Real Bond Over Artificial Intelligence Capabilities - ClearanceJobs - October 28th, 2021
- 2 Artificial Intelligence Stocks That Have Spooked Investors - Motley Fool - October 28th, 2021
- Northwell Health and Aegis Ventures to form first-of-its-kind artificial intelligence venture to drive better, more equitable, and lower-cost... - October 28th, 2021
- An artificial intelligence tool is helping retailers and manufacturers weather the holidays by simulating supply chain issues before they happen -... - October 28th, 2021
- China Rapidly Developing Artificial Intelligence, Officials Warn - The National Interest - October 28th, 2021
- China beats the USA in Artificial Intelligence and international awards - Modern Diplomacy - October 24th, 2021