Instructors from Pace Universitys Dyson College of Arts and Sciences recently received a $499,354 grant from the National Science Foundation that will allow them to expand the teaching of data science skills into introductory biology and environmental science courses.
Specifically, the grants purpose is to allow the group to continue expanding the Biological and Environmental Data Education Network, which will create a system of instructors addressing the need for data science skills and offer training, resources and professional development opportunities for biology and environmental science instructors to enable them to teach the skill set in their regular coursework.
Aiello-Lammens and Crispos roles in the program are to help other instructors learn to incorporate data education into curricula, an approach that the two instructors already practice in all of their courses taught at Pace.
Aiello-Lammens has been involved with the network before, during its original founding through a National Science Foundation incubator grant, of which he was a recipient along with colleagues from Kenyon College and Denison University. Crispo was among one of the first attendees of the networks activities.
We think its vital that our students understand how to make sense of these data and use them to make decisions for what they should be doing from whether to eat certain foods, consider certain medicines, or accept a particular job, Aiello-Lammens said. If they have these data science skills in general, then they can apply them both in their work and in their lives.
Today were able to collect more data more rapidly, collect it on computers, and analyze it on supercomputers, Crispo said. Its becoming more challenging to handle data and analyze itand its becoming increasingly important to give students the skills to be able to do so.
According to the National Science Foundation, data science skills are increasingly necessary in the fields of science, technology, engineering, mathematics and beyond, but instructors often do not have the training necessary to impart this skill set to their students. Other barriers it cited include curricula that are already perceived as overcrowded, confusion over what the key skills are and a lack of confidence in teaching them.
Data management, data analysis, data visualization, programming, modeling and reproducibility are the main subject areas and strategies the network will focus on imparting to students.
The Biological and Environmental Data Education Network will hold annual meetings, the first of which will be held at Paces Manhattan campus in 2022 and will focus on diversity and inclusion in data science education.
Its other education expansion efforts will include developing training and education workshops, publishing a curriculum guide and adding members to create a more active and diverse community of educators. Aiello-Lammens and Crispo aim to expand it nationally and internationally.
According to Pace, the program aligns with its new university-wide strategic plan, Pace Forward.
This grant epitomizes what we believe in at Pace and helps to put Pace at the forefront of educational innovation, said Tresmaine Grimes, dean of Dyson College of Arts and Sciences and School of Education. The work of Professors Aiello-Lammens and Crispo is inspiring in its aim to be cutting-edge, far-reaching, and cross-disciplinary, and will serve instructors and students not only at Pace, but across the country.
See the rest here:
- Data Science is Helping the World Recover from Covid Loss - Analytics Insight - January 8th, 2022
- Data Science Is the Future. Let's Start Teaching It (Opinion) - Education Week - January 8th, 2022
- Geoscience expert to study why continents break apart where magma is missing - EurekAlert - January 8th, 2022
- CIOs and CDOs Strengthen Their Relationship - CMSWire - January 8th, 2022
- 68% of CTOs have Implemented Machine Learning at their Organization - insideBIGDATA - January 8th, 2022
- The best job in America pays up to $125,000 a year and has 10,000 job openings - MarketWatch - January 8th, 2022
- Is the omicron variant less severe? And what are its symptoms? : Shots - Health News - NPR - January 8th, 2022
- PhD Candidate in Data-driven Load Disaggregation and Building Load Profile Classification job with NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY -... - January 8th, 2022
- New Opportunities: Top Deep Learning Jobs to Apply in Jan 2022 - Analytics Insight - January 8th, 2022
- Third Wave May Peak Between February 1 And 15: IIT Madras Analysis - NDTV - January 8th, 2022
- Begin a new career as a data scientist with this $20 training bundle | TheHill - The Hill - January 6th, 2022
- BLM, Reuters, and the Price of Dissent - City Journal - January 6th, 2022
- In The Data Science Playground, The First Lesson Is DataOps - Forbes - January 6th, 2022
- Schnucks' Data Solutions Exec Promoted to Strategy Team - Progressive Grocer - January 6th, 2022
- AIM announces the fourth edition of The Rising, India's Biggest Women in AI Conference - Analytics India Magazine - January 6th, 2022
- 12 in-demand technical hires leaders want to make in 2022 - Fast Company - January 6th, 2022
- What does the future of tech education look like? - Siliconrepublic.com - January 6th, 2022
- Domino Data Lab Named a Winner of Built In's Best Places to Work Award for Second Year in Row - PRNewswire - January 6th, 2022
- Council Post: Building the next generation of AI professionals - Analytics India Magazine - January 6th, 2022
- Video Career Paths in Analytics and Data Science and Analytics Team Building Machine Learning Times - The Predictive Analytics Times - January 6th, 2022
- Ses-imagotag : SES-imagotag completes the acquisition of Irish data analytics start-up MarketHub with founder Roy Horgan to join SES-imagotags... - January 6th, 2022
- Ford, With a Renewed Focus on Innovation, Recruits Globally Detroit Jewish News - The Jewish News - January 6th, 2022
- Axtria Recognized Again For Its High-Trust, High-Performance Culture By The Great Place To Work Institute - GlobeNewswire - January 6th, 2022
- Top Data Science Jobs to Apply for in the First Week of 2022 - Analytics Insight - January 4th, 2022
- Data Science & Analytics Predictions for 2022 - Datamation - January 4th, 2022
- E Source acquires AAC Utility Partners to help utilities accelerate their transformation to digital, data-driven organizations - PRNewswire - January 4th, 2022
- How Data Analytics and AI Solve the Toughest Global Problems - HackRead - January 4th, 2022
- Top online resources to learn Active Learning - Analytics India Magazine - January 4th, 2022
- IT Sligo helping to close the data science skills gap with flexible, online learning - The Irish Times - January 4th, 2022
- Insights on the Healthcare Artificial Intelligence Global Market to 2026 - Featuring Google, IBM and Intel Among Others - Yahoo Finance - January 4th, 2022
- An Exclusive Interview with Abhishek Rungta, Founder and CEO, INT - Analytics Insight - January 4th, 2022
- Top 10 Best Machine Learning Companies to Join in 2022 - Analytics Insight - January 4th, 2022
- A Guide to ECCO: Python Based Tool for Explainability of Transformers - Analytics India Magazine - January 4th, 2022
- What to know about the Minnesota redistricting plans going before a special judicial panel this week - MinnPost - January 4th, 2022
- Upcoming NSTDA Supercomputer in Thailand to Use Nvidia A100 GPUs - CDOTrends - January 4th, 2022
- January 2022: Insight into how metabolites affect health aided by new data platforms - Environmental Factor Newsletter - January 4th, 2022
- Texas public universities to partner for data science camp - The Cougar - The Daily Cougar - December 22nd, 2021
- Lecturer/Associate Professor in Computational Environmental Science and Data Analytics job with UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON | 275934 - Times Higher... - December 22nd, 2021
- Lecturer in Data Science job with VICTORIA UNIVERSITY OF WELLINGTON | 275167 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 22nd, 2021
- Data science in the civil service: How to build capability to rewire government - Civil Service World - December 22nd, 2021
- The Top MIT SMR Articles of 2021 - MIT Sloan - December 22nd, 2021
- Top 5 trends in business analytics: Heres how ISB Executive Educations Applied Business Analytics progr - Times of India - December 22nd, 2021
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, DARE Training Centre job with UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY | 275911 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 22nd, 2021
- We're starting to see a national response to ransomware, says Mandiant CEO - CNBC - December 22nd, 2021
- Amplitude Ranks #1 in Three Analytics Categories by G2, Announces 2021 Datamonsters of the Year Winners - Business Wire - December 22nd, 2021
- From Strategy to Action: How to Break the Code of Analytics at Scale in Retail and CPG - Global Banking And Finance Review - December 22nd, 2021
- Subex : What is AutoML and how it is democratizing AI? - marketscreener.com - December 22nd, 2021
- Multidisciplinary Data Science Scholarship Program to Host Information Session - University of Arkansas Newswire - December 12th, 2021
- Smart SNFs: The ROI of Data Analytics - Skilled Nursing News - December 12th, 2021
- 31 Data Science and Analytics Predictions from 19 Experts for 2022 - Solutions Review - December 12th, 2021
- Working in tandem, Barney will guide engineering and data science teams at Aktify, while Rigby will spearhead the product development and design.... - December 12th, 2021
- Use of Data Science in the Making of Cryptocurrency Blockchains - Analytics Insight - December 12th, 2021
- How a Boot Camp Grad Went From Unemployed to 6 Figures in 2 Months - Business Insider - December 12th, 2021
- Data Science Platform Market Share and Size 2021: Industry Demand and Forecast to 2027 by Top Key Players Overview Dataiku, Alteryx, Continuum... - December 12th, 2021
- Prisma Analytics and CryptoDATA Tech are hosting a promotional event in Dubai - Times of Oman - December 12th, 2021
- Student entrepreneurs at Intus Care harness power of data to improve health care for the elderly - Brown University - December 12th, 2021
- Someone's calling about AI. Graph technology is ready to answer - ComputerWeekly.com - December 12th, 2021
- 'Tis the season to plan a summer internship - In addition to celebrating holidays December is the perfect time for students on their winter break to... - December 12th, 2021
- Wildfire dataset could help firefighters save lives and property - UC Riverside - December 12th, 2021
- Regents approve plan for computer science and information building | The University Record - The University Record - December 12th, 2021
- Council Post: Experiential LearningAn Essence To Address The Skill Gap In The Field Of Analytics And Data Science - Analytics India Magazine - December 12th, 2021
- Five UB faculty named SUNY Distinguished Professors - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff - University at Buffalo Reporter - December 12th, 2021
- Athinia to Accelerate the Use of AI and Big Data to Solve Critical Semiconductor Challenges - PRNewswire - December 12th, 2021
- Aktify Announces New Chief Product Officer and New Chief Technology Officer to Expand Team and Product Offering - Yahoo Finance - December 12th, 2021
- Implementing AI: Bridging the Gap | ARC Advisory - ARC Advisory Group - December 12th, 2021
- Data Science Program | The George Washington University - December 3rd, 2021
- Data Science - December 3rd, 2021
- South African crowd-solving startup Zindi building a community of data scientists and using AI to solve real-world problems - TechCrunch - December 3rd, 2021
- Equity Data Science Appoints Theresa Elamparo as Head of Marketing - Business Wire - December 3rd, 2021
- Doma's Chief Data Science Officer Andy Mahdavi Named 2021 HousingWire Tech Trendsetter - Business Wire - December 3rd, 2021
- Why is Blockchain the Next Big Thing for Data Science? - Analytics Insight - December 3rd, 2021
- Top Technical Skills That Get People Hired, According to HackerRank - Business Insider - December 3rd, 2021
- Jaguar Land Rover gets more from graph analytics - CIO UK - December 3rd, 2021
- Media statements - $2.4 million for data science and cybersecurity innovation hubs to support start-up and SME growth - Media Statements - December 3rd, 2021
- Vinehealth, offering digital support for cancer patients and SaaS for R&D, gets $5.5M to launch in the US - TechCrunch - December 3rd, 2021
- Problem-Solving And Discussion With Experts Are The Best Methods For Studying A Subject: Sumanta Mukherjee, IBM - Analytics India Magazine - December 3rd, 2021
- SK life science Presents Long-Term Data of XCOPRI (cenobamate tablets) CV in Adults with Partial-Onset Seizures at the American Epilepsy Society 2021... - December 3rd, 2021
- The U.S. Air Force Partners with Udacity to Develop Programs on Data Science, Cloud, Programming, and UX - IBL News - December 3rd, 2021
- How advanced AI tools can give organisations a holistic understanding of their data and improve compliance - TechNative - TechNative - December 3rd, 2021
- Lecturer in Computational Science and Data Science job with Institute for Applied Computational Science | 414622 - The Chronicle of Higher Education - December 3rd, 2021