Rene Cummings arrived at the University of Virginia in October 2020 as the School of Data Sciences first data-activist-in-residence. Cummings, who speaks internationally on artificial intelligence ethics and inclusive innovation, also lectures on big data ethics in the schools data science masters program.
The No. 1 question she gets from UVA students is also big: How do I make a difference? Students want to know how to think about making decisions to ensure their choices are ethical and serve society.
Our work at UVA is to give students the confidence to act responsibly and on behalf of the public good, Cummings said. We want students to understand why justice and social good and civic-mindedness are so critical to the work that we are doing in technology.
Now Cummings is furthering her contributions to this mission by helping lead UVAs role in the Public Interest Technology University Network, a consortium of 43 academic institutions focused on building the field of public interest technology and preparing the next generation of civic-minded technologists. Her co-leader at UVA, with whom she will serve a three-year term, is Jonathan L. Goodall, professor of civil engineering in the School of Engineering and Applied Science.
Technology can help address many challenges facing cities and communities, but technological solutions must be developed in partnership with communities so that they are trusted and targeted in their use, Goodall said. Public interest technology is a new field at this interface between technology and community engagement, with the aim of creating technology that best serves the public interest. It is exciting to work with Rene to build a community of folks from across Grounds engaging in this new field.
UVA was one of 21 college and university founding members of the network, convened in 2019 by New America, the Ford Foundation and the Hewlett Foundation. The goal of the Public Interest Technology University Network, which uses the abbreviation PIT-UN, is to collaborate on new curricula, faculty training, experiential learning opportunities and innovative ways to support students who enter public interest technology fields. The network provides grants to its members to support these efforts.
UVAs relationship with the network was initiated by Louis Nelson, vice provost for academic outreach, who quickly moved to recruit content experts from across Grounds to guide the work.
While public service and community-facing programs are clearly in the academic outreach domain, UVA is well-positioned to grow a stronger footprint in technology and ethics, Nelson said. Technology is going to shape the future, and I am thrilled that Rene and Jonathan are going to be leading and representing UVA in this space.
As a founding partner, UVA has a critical role to play, particularly at this moment, Cummings said. We have the ability to harness the power of the public in building justice-oriented, equitable, diverse and inclusive technology that is responsible, trustworthy and good for all.
Cummings, who started her career as a journalist to give a voice to the underserved, went on to advocate as a criminologist, criminal psychologist and AI ethicist. She brings to data science a passion for developing ideas around how to create principled technology.
Goodall comes to the co-leadership role as a 2020 recipient of a network grant, one of three received by UVA since the inaugural grant cycle. The funding will help strengthen the Community Fellows Program, which is jointly spearheaded by UVA Engineerings Link Lab for cyber-physical systems and the Center for Civic Innovation, a local nonprofit. The fellows program supports citizen-defined, civic innovation projects that serve the Charlottesville community. The 2021 cohort of fellows was announced Sept. 16.
A civil engineer by training, Goodall collaborates with cities facing flooding challenges due to climate change. He works in infrastructure, hydrology and technology, focusing on flood solutions and resiliency measures that best serve the localities.
Goodall is also the associate director of the Link Lab and leads research projects related to smart cities technology, one of the Link Labs key research focus areas. Interaction with local community is a critical component of the work and this new role builds on that foundation.
As co-leaders of UVAs role in the network, Cummings and Goodall will promote opportunities for UVA peers to connect and cultivate public interest technology collaborations.
Our purpose is to bring together researchers from a range of disciplines to imagine creative new solutions toward justness and fairness in the technology ecosystem, Cummings said. We seek to inspire interdisciplinary approaches that leverage the extraordinary promise, potential and power of technology for the social good and for the public good.
Goodall and Cummings also will lead UVA teams in cooperative efforts with other network member schools aimed at supporting the use of data and technology to deliver better outcomes to the public
Working with peer institutions will be imperative in defining what public interest technology will look like in the future, Goodall said. This problem is bigger than any one college or university, so collaborating across universities will be important.
The Public Interest Technology University Network collaboration offers an extraordinary opportunity to reimagine the world in a way that technology can be used for the benefit of all, Cummings said. Everything I have done in my past prepared me for that future.
View original post here:
- Coatue Data Science Head Alex Izydorczyk Is Leaving the Company - Business Insider - November 25th, 2021
- Data Science Is a Key Weapon in the Fight Against Fraud - Built In - November 25th, 2021
- Grads from MIT, IITs, IIMs and other Renowned Varsities Working on Building LIVEY, a World-Class Data Science and AI-powered Healthcare Solution -... - November 25th, 2021
- Tim Kao: Infusing Data Science to Revolutionize the Functionalities of Navy and Marine Industries - Analytics Insight - November 25th, 2021
- COVID-19: Compliance to household mixing restrictions in England decreased with each lockdown - EurekAlert - November 25th, 2021
- Data science approaches to confronting the COVID-19 pandemic: a narrative review - DocWire News - November 25th, 2021
- Bayer and Microsoft partner to build new cloud-based digital tools - IT Brief New Zealand - November 25th, 2021
- Elizabeth Holmes testifies in Theranos trial & Athenahealth acquisition 2.0 - STAT - November 25th, 2021
- Who are the current generation of Chief Data Officers? - ComputerWeekly.com - November 25th, 2021
- Analysis in Government Awards 2021 Shortlist - GOV.UK - November 25th, 2021
- Pace receives NSF grant to expand data science instruction nationwide - Westfair Online - November 17th, 2021
- Snowflake Shapes the Future of Data Science with Python Support - Business Wire - November 17th, 2021
- UK Railroads Invest in Data Science, AI, and Machine Learning - Cities of the Future - November 17th, 2021
- Top Upcoming Data Science Webinars to Attend in 2021 - Analytics Insight - November 17th, 2021
- The Iconic CEO Erica Berchtold wants to use the science of data to convert you to online shopping - The Australian Financial Review - November 17th, 2021
- Immunosuppressants linked to severe reactions in people with common genetic profile - Stanford Medical Center Report - November 17th, 2021
- Why Genpact 'Dare in Reality' Is A Hackathon Not To Be Missed - Analytics India Magazine - November 17th, 2021
- TigerGraph expands its graph data library with 20 new algorithms - VentureBeat - November 17th, 2021
- Improving Your Odds of ML Success with MLOps - insideBIGDATA - November 17th, 2021
- Smarter Production and Data-Driven Insight | - Advanced Television - November 17th, 2021
- The Role of Women in Scalping up AI and Data Science - Analytics Insight - November 10th, 2021
- Debunking The Four Most Common Data Science Myths - Influencive - November 10th, 2021
- Olive Partners with ClosedLoop to Improve Care and Reduce Financial Risk for Patients - Yahoo Finance - November 10th, 2021
- Knowland Releases First-of-Its-Kind Future Event Activity Forecast - PRNewswire - November 10th, 2021
- The Question Weve Stopped Asking About Teen-Agers and Social Media - The New Yorker - November 10th, 2021
- Do You Want To Deploy Responsible AI In Your Organization? Join This Session To Operationalize Responsible AI - Analytics India Magazine - November 10th, 2021
- In-Demand skills research finds the US is one of the most competitive markets for skilled tech workers, but talent scarcity is a global issue -... - November 10th, 2021
- Data Science Master's Degree | 100% Online | University of ... - November 6th, 2021
- MSE in Data Science - November 6th, 2021
- Variable Names: Why They're a Mess and How to Clean Them Up - Built In - November 6th, 2021
- UVA Announces New Research Partnership at Intersection of Business and Data Science - UVA Today - November 6th, 2021
- Succeeding in Data Science Projects Inputs that Could Help You - Analytics Insight - November 6th, 2021
- Inspiring Innovation; New Short Talks Features Karl Schubert and Data Science Program - University of Arkansas Newswire - November 6th, 2021
- How to succeed around data science projects - Information Age - November 6th, 2021
- Training students at the intersection of power engineering and computer science WSU Insider - WSU News - November 6th, 2021
- California Tries to Close the Gap in Math, but Sets Off a Backlash - The New York Times - November 6th, 2021
- A look at some of the AI and ML expert speakers at the iMerit ML DataOps Summit - TechCrunch - November 6th, 2021
- Exploring, Monitoring and Modeling the Deep Ocean Are Goals of New Research - UT News - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - November 6th, 2021
- UVA Science and Engineering Faculty Win 12 NSF Career Awards - University of Virginia - November 6th, 2021
- Microsoft Excel is still the data analytics gold standard. The pre-Black Friday sale can teach you fast. - The Next Web - November 6th, 2021
- Heard on the Street 10/28/2021 - insideBIGDATA - October 28th, 2021
- Insights on the Data Science Platform Global Market to 2027 - Featuring Microsoft, IBM and Google Among Others - Yahoo Finance - October 28th, 2021
- Ericsson helps Giga to map connectivity in more than a million schools - Ericsson - October 28th, 2021
- NIH awards nearly $75M to catalyze data science research in Africa - National Institutes of Health - October 26th, 2021
- Worldwide Data Science Platform Industry to 2027 - Increasing Adoption of Data-Driven Technologies by Enterprises Presents Opportunities - PRNewswire - October 26th, 2021
- Multi-institution project to train Kenyan experts to bring social determinants to bear on modeling health outcomes - Newswise - October 26th, 2021
- Takeda's Krista McKee on Shifting the Data Ecosystem - Bio-IT World - October 26th, 2021
- Stitch Fix CEO: 'Data science and algorithms are at the core' of the company - Oakland News Now - October 26th, 2021
- Miami Dade College to Host 10th Anniversary School of Science White Coat Ceremony and STEM Research Symposium - The Reporter - October 26th, 2021
- FDA takes hands-on approach to upskill workforce under data modernization action plan - Federal News Network - October 26th, 2021
- Global Data Science Platform Market (2021 to 2027) - by Component, Deployment, Organization Size, Function, Industry Vertical and Geography -... - October 26th, 2021
- Planning to study Data Science after Plus-Two? Heres what is on offer - Telegraph India - October 26th, 2021
- Consumer-facing Companies Still Have Few Incentives to Stop Data Breaches, and Thats a National Security Concern. - Council on Foreign Relations - October 26th, 2021
- Skills and online courses to become a Data Scientist, the top job role in the world by 2025 - India Today - October 26th, 2021
- Which degree is right for me: data science or digital health? - News - The University of Sydney - October 26th, 2021
- Data Science Leaders are Ruling the Corporate Industry for their Technical Talent as well as Management Expertise - Analytics Insight - October 26th, 2021
- Will Data Science be in Demand in the Future? - Entrepreneur - September 30th, 2021
- MetaCell launches innovative Cloud Hosting for life science and healthcare - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2021
- KDD 2021 Honors Recipients of the SIGKDD Best Paper Awards - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2021
- Analytics Insight Announces Big Data Analytics Companies of the Year - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2021
- R is better than Python. Try telling that to banks - eFinancialCareers - September 30th, 2021
- World AI & Data Science Conference to be held on October 13th, 2021 - Analytics Insight - September 27th, 2021
- How Data Science and Big Data are Shaping the Indian Food Industry in 2021? - Analytics Insight - September 27th, 2021
- mRNA Could Fight Diseases Such as Alzheimer's and Cancer, With Help of UVA Scientist - University of Virginia - September 27th, 2021
- Media advisory: Kevin Leicht to testify before congressional subcommittee about disinformation - University of Illinois News - September 27th, 2021
- Heard on the Street 9/27/2021 - insideBIGDATA - September 27th, 2021
- New Business Institute at UT Austin Will Specialize in Sports Analytics - Diverse: Issues in Higher Education - September 27th, 2021
- How AI is Transforming The Race Strategy Of Electric Vehicles - Analytics India Magazine - September 27th, 2021
- Argentine project analyzing how data science and artificial intelligence can help prevent the outbreak of Covid-19 | Chosen from more than 150... - September 25th, 2021
- Metropolitan Chicago Data-science Corps to partner with area organizations on projects - Northwestern University NewsCenter - September 25th, 2021
- Business of Sports Institute at UT McCombs School Founded by Gift from Accenture - UT News - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - September 25th, 2021
- 'I Want The Folks in Our Society to Be Data Literate So That We Are Making Good Decisions Together for the Good of the World,' Says Professor... - September 25th, 2021
- Pandemic oversight board to preserve data analytics tools beyond its sunset date - Federal News Network - September 25th, 2021
- Increase the Readability of Your Python Script With 1 Simple Tool - Built In - September 25th, 2021
- On World Cancer Research Day, Illumina Highlights the Transformative Power of Genomics - Yahoo Finance - September 25th, 2021
- An Introduction to Portfolio Optimization in Python - Built In - September 25th, 2021
- Life sciences use of digital twins mirrors its application in other industries - MedCity News - September 25th, 2021
- The Top 3 Tools Every Data Scientist Needs - Built In - September 21st, 2021
- OpsRamp Introduces The Future of Incident Response: Harnessing Machine Learning and Data Science to Predict and Prevent IT Outages - Yahoo Finance - September 21st, 2021
- Health Data Science Symposium: Smartphones, Wearables, and Health 11/5 Reduced Registration by 10/5 - HSPH News - September 21st, 2021