Our editors curated this list of the biggest data science news items during the first half of 2021, as highlighted on Solutions Review.
Data science is one of thefastest-growing fieldsin America. Organizations are employing data scientists at a rapid rate to help them analyze increasingly large and complex data volumes. The proliferation of big data and the need to make sense of it all has created a vortex where all of these things exist together. As a result, new techniques, technologies, and theories are continually being developed to run advanced analysis, and they all require development and programming to ensure a path forward.
Part of Solutions Reviews ongoing analysis of the big data marketplace includes covering the biggest data science news stories which have the greatest impact on enterprise technologists. This is a curated list of the most important data science news stories from the first half of 2021. For more on the space, including the newest product releases, funding rounds and mergers and acquisitions, follow our popular news section.
Databricks raised $1 billion in Series G funding in response to the rapid adoption of its unified data platform, according to a press release. The capital injection, which follows araise of $400 millionin October 2019, puts Databticks at a $28 billion valuation. The round was led by new investor Franklin Templeton with inclusion from Amazon Web Services, CapitalG and Salesforce Ventures. The funding will enable Databricks to move ahead with additional product innovations and scale support for the lakehouse data architecture.
In a media statement, Databricks co-founder and CEO Ali Ghodsi said We see this investment and our continued rapid growth as further validation of our vision for a simple, open and unified data platform that can support all data-driven use cases, from BI to AI. Built on a modern lakehouse architecture in the cloud, Databricks helps organizations eliminate the cost and complexity that is inherent in legacy data architectures so that data teams can collaborate and innovate faster. This lakehouse paradigm is whats fueling our growth, and its great to see how excited our investors are to be a part of it.
OmniSci recentlyannounced the launchof OmniSci Free, a full-featured version of its analytics platform available for use at no cost. OmniSci free will enable users to utilize the full power of the OmniSci Analytics Platform, which includes OmniSciDB, OmniSci Render Engine, OmniSci Immerse, and the OmniSci Data Science Toolkit. The solution can be deployed on Linux-based servers and is generally adequate for datasets of up to 500 million records. Three concurrent users are permitted.
In a media statement on the news, OmniSci co-founder and CEO Todd Mostak said Our mission from the beginning has been to make analytics instant, powerful, and effortless for everyone, and the launch of OmniSci Free is our latest step towards making our platform accessible to an even broader audience. While our open source database has delivered significant value to the community as an ultra-fast OLAP SQL engine, it has become increasingly clear that many use cases heavily benefit from access to the capabilities of our full platform, including its massively scalable visualization and data science capabilities.
DataRobotrecently announcedthe release of DataRobot 7, the latest version of its flagship AI and machine learning platform. The release is highlighted by MLOps remove model challengers which allow customers to challenge production models no matter where they are running and regardless of framework or language in which it was built. Additionally, DataRobot 7 also offers choose your own forecast baseline which lets users compare the output of their forecasting models with predictions from DataRobot Automated Time Series.
In a media statement, DataRobot SVP of Product Nenshad Bardoliwalla said Through ongoing engagement with our customers, weve developed an intimate understanding of the challenges they face, as well as the opportunities they have, with AI. Our latest platform release has been specifically designed to help them seize the transformative power of AI and advance on their journeys to becoming AI-driven enterprises.
Tableau announced the releaseof Tableau 2021.1, the latest version of the companys flagship business intelligence and data analytics offering. The release is highlighted by the introduction of business science, a new class of AI-powered analytics that enables business users to take advantage of data science techniques. Business science is delivered via Einstein Discovery. Other key additions aim to simplify analytics at scale and expand the Tableau ecosystem to help different user personas understand their environment.
In a media statement about the news, Tableau Chief Product Officer Francois Ajenstat said Data science has always been able to solve big problems but too often that power is limited to a few select people within an organization. To build truly data-driven organizations, we need to unlock the power of data for as many people as possible. Democratizing data science will help more people make smarter decisions faster.
Dataiku recently announced the release of Dataiku 9, the latest version of the companys flagship data science and machine learning platform. The release is highlighted by best practice guardrails to prevent common pitfalls, model assertations to capture and test known use cases, what-if analysis to interactively test model sensitivity, and a new model fairness report to augment existing biased detection methods when building responsible AI models. Dataikuraised $100 millionin Series D funding last summer.
The release notes add For business analysts engaged in data preparation tasks, the highly requested fuzzy join recipe makes it easy to join close-but-not-equal columns, an updated formula editor requires less time to learn, and updated date functions simplify time date preparation. It also touts support for the Dash application framework.
Domino Data Lab recently announced a series of new integrated solutions and product enhancements with NVIDIA,according to a press release. The technologies were unveiled at theNVIDIA GTC Conference. Dominos latest is highlighted by Dominos availability for the NetApp ONTAP AI Integrated Solution, which upgrades data science productivity with software that streamlines the workflow while maximizing infrastructure utilization. As such, Domino has been tested and validated to run on the packaged offering and is available via the NVIDIA Partner network.
The new platform automatically creates and manages multi-node clusters and releases them when training is done. Domino currently supports ephemeral clusters using Apache Spark and Ray, and will be adding support for Dask in a product release later in the year. Administrators can also divide a single NVIDIA DGX A100 GPU into multiple instances or partitions to support a variety of users with Dominos support. According to the announcement, this allows 7x the number of data scientists to run a Jupyter notebook attached to a single GPU versus without MIG.
Exploriumrecently announcedthat it has secured $75 million in Series C funding, according to a press release on the companys website. The funding isExploriums second roundin the last nine months and brings the companys total capital raised to more than $125 million since its founding in 2017. Explorium doubled its customer base during the last 16 months.
In a media statement on the news, Explorium CEO Maor Shlomo said As we saw last year, machine learning models and tools for advanced analytics are only as good as the data behind them. And often that data is not sufficient. Were addressing a business-critical need, guiding data scientists and business leaders to the signals that will help them make better predictions and achieve better business outcomes.
Alteryx recentlyannounced product enhancementsacross its product line of data science and analytics tools, as well as the release of Alteryx Machine Learning. The company broke the news at Alteryx Inspire Virtual, its annual user conference. Currently available in early access, Alteryx Machine Learning provides guided, explainable, and fully automated machine learning (AutoML). Key features include feature engineering and deep feature synthesis, automated insight generation, and an Education Mode that offers data science best practices.
In a media statement on the news, Alteryx Chief Product Officer Suresh Vittal said: We are investing deeply in analytics and data science automation in the cloud, starting with Designer Cloud, Alteryx Machine Learning and AI introduced today. We remain focused on being the best at democratizing analytics so millions of people can leverage the power of data.
Tim is Solutions Review's Editorial Director and leads coverage on big data, business intelligence, and data analytics. A 2017 and 2018 Most Influential Business Journalist and 2021 "Who's Who" in data management and data integration, Tim is a recognized influencer and thought leader in enterprise business software. Reach him via tking at solutionsreview dot com.
- Coatue Data Science Head Alex Izydorczyk Is Leaving the Company - Business Insider - November 25th, 2021
- Data Science Is a Key Weapon in the Fight Against Fraud - Built In - November 25th, 2021
- Grads from MIT, IITs, IIMs and other Renowned Varsities Working on Building LIVEY, a World-Class Data Science and AI-powered Healthcare Solution -... - November 25th, 2021
- Tim Kao: Infusing Data Science to Revolutionize the Functionalities of Navy and Marine Industries - Analytics Insight - November 25th, 2021
- COVID-19: Compliance to household mixing restrictions in England decreased with each lockdown - EurekAlert - November 25th, 2021
- Data science approaches to confronting the COVID-19 pandemic: a narrative review - DocWire News - November 25th, 2021
- Bayer and Microsoft partner to build new cloud-based digital tools - IT Brief New Zealand - November 25th, 2021
- Elizabeth Holmes testifies in Theranos trial & Athenahealth acquisition 2.0 - STAT - November 25th, 2021
- Who are the current generation of Chief Data Officers? - ComputerWeekly.com - November 25th, 2021
- Analysis in Government Awards 2021 Shortlist - GOV.UK - November 25th, 2021
- Pace receives NSF grant to expand data science instruction nationwide - Westfair Online - November 17th, 2021
- Snowflake Shapes the Future of Data Science with Python Support - Business Wire - November 17th, 2021
- UK Railroads Invest in Data Science, AI, and Machine Learning - Cities of the Future - November 17th, 2021
- Top Upcoming Data Science Webinars to Attend in 2021 - Analytics Insight - November 17th, 2021
- The Iconic CEO Erica Berchtold wants to use the science of data to convert you to online shopping - The Australian Financial Review - November 17th, 2021
- Immunosuppressants linked to severe reactions in people with common genetic profile - Stanford Medical Center Report - November 17th, 2021
- Why Genpact 'Dare in Reality' Is A Hackathon Not To Be Missed - Analytics India Magazine - November 17th, 2021
- TigerGraph expands its graph data library with 20 new algorithms - VentureBeat - November 17th, 2021
- Improving Your Odds of ML Success with MLOps - insideBIGDATA - November 17th, 2021
- Smarter Production and Data-Driven Insight | - Advanced Television - November 17th, 2021
- The Role of Women in Scalping up AI and Data Science - Analytics Insight - November 10th, 2021
- Debunking The Four Most Common Data Science Myths - Influencive - November 10th, 2021
- Olive Partners with ClosedLoop to Improve Care and Reduce Financial Risk for Patients - Yahoo Finance - November 10th, 2021
- Knowland Releases First-of-Its-Kind Future Event Activity Forecast - PRNewswire - November 10th, 2021
- The Question Weve Stopped Asking About Teen-Agers and Social Media - The New Yorker - November 10th, 2021
- Do You Want To Deploy Responsible AI In Your Organization? Join This Session To Operationalize Responsible AI - Analytics India Magazine - November 10th, 2021
- In-Demand skills research finds the US is one of the most competitive markets for skilled tech workers, but talent scarcity is a global issue -... - November 10th, 2021
- Data Science Master's Degree | 100% Online | University of ... - November 6th, 2021
- MSE in Data Science - November 6th, 2021
- Variable Names: Why They're a Mess and How to Clean Them Up - Built In - November 6th, 2021
- UVA Announces New Research Partnership at Intersection of Business and Data Science - UVA Today - November 6th, 2021
- Succeeding in Data Science Projects Inputs that Could Help You - Analytics Insight - November 6th, 2021
- Inspiring Innovation; New Short Talks Features Karl Schubert and Data Science Program - University of Arkansas Newswire - November 6th, 2021
- How to succeed around data science projects - Information Age - November 6th, 2021
- Training students at the intersection of power engineering and computer science WSU Insider - WSU News - November 6th, 2021
- California Tries to Close the Gap in Math, but Sets Off a Backlash - The New York Times - November 6th, 2021
- A look at some of the AI and ML expert speakers at the iMerit ML DataOps Summit - TechCrunch - November 6th, 2021
- Exploring, Monitoring and Modeling the Deep Ocean Are Goals of New Research - UT News - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - November 6th, 2021
- UVA Science and Engineering Faculty Win 12 NSF Career Awards - University of Virginia - November 6th, 2021
- Microsoft Excel is still the data analytics gold standard. The pre-Black Friday sale can teach you fast. - The Next Web - November 6th, 2021
- Heard on the Street 10/28/2021 - insideBIGDATA - October 28th, 2021
- Insights on the Data Science Platform Global Market to 2027 - Featuring Microsoft, IBM and Google Among Others - Yahoo Finance - October 28th, 2021
- Ericsson helps Giga to map connectivity in more than a million schools - Ericsson - October 28th, 2021
- NIH awards nearly $75M to catalyze data science research in Africa - National Institutes of Health - October 26th, 2021
- Worldwide Data Science Platform Industry to 2027 - Increasing Adoption of Data-Driven Technologies by Enterprises Presents Opportunities - PRNewswire - October 26th, 2021
- Multi-institution project to train Kenyan experts to bring social determinants to bear on modeling health outcomes - Newswise - October 26th, 2021
- Takeda's Krista McKee on Shifting the Data Ecosystem - Bio-IT World - October 26th, 2021
- Stitch Fix CEO: 'Data science and algorithms are at the core' of the company - Oakland News Now - October 26th, 2021
- Miami Dade College to Host 10th Anniversary School of Science White Coat Ceremony and STEM Research Symposium - The Reporter - October 26th, 2021
- FDA takes hands-on approach to upskill workforce under data modernization action plan - Federal News Network - October 26th, 2021
- Global Data Science Platform Market (2021 to 2027) - by Component, Deployment, Organization Size, Function, Industry Vertical and Geography -... - October 26th, 2021
- Planning to study Data Science after Plus-Two? Heres what is on offer - Telegraph India - October 26th, 2021
- Consumer-facing Companies Still Have Few Incentives to Stop Data Breaches, and Thats a National Security Concern. - Council on Foreign Relations - October 26th, 2021
- Skills and online courses to become a Data Scientist, the top job role in the world by 2025 - India Today - October 26th, 2021
- Which degree is right for me: data science or digital health? - News - The University of Sydney - October 26th, 2021
- Data Science Leaders are Ruling the Corporate Industry for their Technical Talent as well as Management Expertise - Analytics Insight - October 26th, 2021
- Will Data Science be in Demand in the Future? - Entrepreneur - September 30th, 2021
- Promoting the Public Good | UVA Today - UVA Today - September 30th, 2021
- MetaCell launches innovative Cloud Hosting for life science and healthcare - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2021
- KDD 2021 Honors Recipients of the SIGKDD Best Paper Awards - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2021
- Analytics Insight Announces Big Data Analytics Companies of the Year - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2021
- R is better than Python. Try telling that to banks - eFinancialCareers - September 30th, 2021
- World AI & Data Science Conference to be held on October 13th, 2021 - Analytics Insight - September 27th, 2021
- How Data Science and Big Data are Shaping the Indian Food Industry in 2021? - Analytics Insight - September 27th, 2021
- mRNA Could Fight Diseases Such as Alzheimer's and Cancer, With Help of UVA Scientist - University of Virginia - September 27th, 2021
- Media advisory: Kevin Leicht to testify before congressional subcommittee about disinformation - University of Illinois News - September 27th, 2021
- Heard on the Street 9/27/2021 - insideBIGDATA - September 27th, 2021
- New Business Institute at UT Austin Will Specialize in Sports Analytics - Diverse: Issues in Higher Education - September 27th, 2021
- How AI is Transforming The Race Strategy Of Electric Vehicles - Analytics India Magazine - September 27th, 2021
- Argentine project analyzing how data science and artificial intelligence can help prevent the outbreak of Covid-19 | Chosen from more than 150... - September 25th, 2021
- Metropolitan Chicago Data-science Corps to partner with area organizations on projects - Northwestern University NewsCenter - September 25th, 2021
- Business of Sports Institute at UT McCombs School Founded by Gift from Accenture - UT News - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - September 25th, 2021
- 'I Want The Folks in Our Society to Be Data Literate So That We Are Making Good Decisions Together for the Good of the World,' Says Professor... - September 25th, 2021
- Pandemic oversight board to preserve data analytics tools beyond its sunset date - Federal News Network - September 25th, 2021
- Increase the Readability of Your Python Script With 1 Simple Tool - Built In - September 25th, 2021
- On World Cancer Research Day, Illumina Highlights the Transformative Power of Genomics - Yahoo Finance - September 25th, 2021
- An Introduction to Portfolio Optimization in Python - Built In - September 25th, 2021
- Life sciences use of digital twins mirrors its application in other industries - MedCity News - September 25th, 2021
- The Top 3 Tools Every Data Scientist Needs - Built In - September 21st, 2021
- OpsRamp Introduces The Future of Incident Response: Harnessing Machine Learning and Data Science to Predict and Prevent IT Outages - Yahoo Finance - September 21st, 2021