These are the Step-by-Step Guides that YouveBeen Looking For!What do you want help with?
How Do I Get Started?
The most common question Im asked is: how do I get started?
My best advice for getting started in machine learning is broken down into a 5-step process:
For more on this top-down approach, see:
Many of my students have used this approach to go on and do well in Kaggle competitions and get jobs as Machine Learning Engineers and Data Scientists.
Applied Machine Learning Process
The benefit of machine learning are the predictions and the models that make predictions.
To have skill at applied machine learning means knowing how to consistently and reliably deliver high-quality predictions on problemafter problem. You need to follow a systematic process.
Below is a 5-step process that you can follow to consistently achieve above average results on predictive modeling problems:
For a good summary of this process, see the posts:
Linear algebra is an important foundation area of mathematics required for achieving a deeper understanding of machine learning algorithms.
Below is the 3 step process that you can use to get up-to-speed with linear algebra for machine learning, fast.
You can see all linear algebra posts here. Below is a selection of some of the most popular tutorials.
Statistical Methods an important foundation area of mathematics required for achieving a deeper understanding of the behavior of machine learning algorithms.
Below is the 3 step process that you can use to get up-to-speed with statistical methods for machine learning, fast.
You can see all of the statistical methods posts here.Below is a selection of some of the most popular tutorials.
Understand Machine Learning Algorithms
Machine learning is about machine learning algorithms.
You need to know what algorithms are available for a given problem, how they work, and how to get the most out of them.
Heres how to get started withmachine learning algorithms:
You can see all machine learning algorithm posts here. Below is a selection of some of the most popular tutorials.
Weka Machine Learning (no code)
Weka is a platform that you can use to get started in applied machine learning.
It has a graphical user interface meaning that no programming is required and it offers a suite of state of the art algorithms.
Heres how you can get started with Weka:
You can see all Weka machine learning posts here. Below is a selection of some of the most popular tutorials.
Python Machine Learning (scikit-learn)
Python is one of the fastest growing platforms for applied machine learning.
You can use the same tools like pandas andscikit-learn in the development and operational deployment of your model.
Below are the steps that you can use to get started with Python machine learning:
You can see all Python machine learning posts here. Below is a selection of some of the most popular tutorials.
R Machine Learning (caret)
R is a platform for statistical computing and is the most popular platform among professional data scientists.
Its popular because of the large number oftechniques available, and because of excellent interfaces to these methods such as the powerful caret package.
Heres how to get started with R machine learning:
You can see all R machine learning posts here. Below is a selection of some of the most popular tutorials.
Code Algorithm from Scratch (Python)
You can learn a lot about machine learning algorithms by coding them from scratch.
Learning via coding is the preferred learning style for many developers and engineers.
Heres how to get started with machine learning by coding everything from scratch.
You can see all of the Code Algorithms from Scratch posts here.Below is a selection of some of the most popular tutorials.
Introduction to Time Series Forecasting (Python)
Time series forecasting is an important topic in business applications.
Many datasets contain a time component, but the topic of time series is rarely covered in much depth from a machine learning perspective.
Heres how to get started with Time Series Forecasting:
You can see all Time Series Forecasting posts here. Below is a selection of some of the most popular tutorials.
XGBoost in Python (Stochastic Gradient Boosting)
XGBoost is a highly optimized implementation ofgradient boosted decision trees.
It is popularbecause it is being usedby some of the best data scientists in the world to win machine learning competitions.
Heres how to get started with XGBoost:
You can see all XGBoosts posts here. Below is a selection of some of the most popular tutorials.
Deep Learning (Keras)
Deep learning is afascinating and powerful field.
State-of-the-art results are coming from the field of deep learning and it is asub-field of machine learning that cannot be ignored.
Heres how to get started with deep learning:
You can see all deep learning posts here. Below is a selection of some of the most popular tutorials.
Better Deep Learning
Although it is easy to define and fit a deep learning neural network model, it can be challenging to get good performance on a specific predictive modeling problem.
There are standard techniques that you can use to improve the learning, reduce overfitting, and make better predictions with your deep learning model.
Heres how to get started with getting better deep learning performance:
You can see all better deep learning posts here. Below is a selection of some of the most popular tutorials.
Long Short-Term Memory (LSTM)
Long Short-Term Memory (LSTM) Recurrent Neural Networks are designed for sequence prediction problems and are astate-of-the-art deep learning technique for challenging prediction problems.
Heres how to get started with LSTMs in Python:
You can see all LSTMposts here. Below is a selection of some of the most popular tutorials using LSTMs in Python with the Keras deep learning library.
Deep Learning for Natural Language Processing (NLP)
Working with text data is hard because of the messy nature of natural language.
Text is not solved but to get state-of-the-art results on challenging NLP problems, you need to adopt deep learning methods
Heres how to get started with deep learning for natural language processing:
You can see all deep learning for NLP posts here. Below is a selection of some of the most popular tutorials.
Deep Learning for Computer Vision
Working with image data is hard because of the gulf between raw pixels and the meaning in the images.
Computer vision is not solved, but to get state-of-the-art results on challenging computer vision tasks like object detection and face recognition, you need deep learning methods.
Heres how to get started with deep learning for computer vision:
You can see all deep learning for Computer Vision posts here. Below is a selection of some of the most popular tutorials.
Deep Learning for Time Series Forecasting
Deep learning neural networks are able to automatically learn arbitrary complex mappings from inputs to outputs and support multiple inputs and outputs.
Methods such as MLPs, CNNs, and LSTMs offer a lot of promise for time series forecasting.
Heres how to get started with deep learning for time series forecasting:
You can see all deep learning for time series forecasting posts here.Below is a selection of some of the most popular tutorials.
Generative Adversarial Networks
Generative Adversarial Networks, or GANs for short, are an approach to generative modeling using deep learning methods, such as convolutional neural networks.
GANs are an exciting and rapidly changing field, delivering on the promise of generative models in their ability to generate realistic examples across a range of problem domains, most notably in image-to-image translation tasks.
Heres how to get started with deep learning for Generative Adversarial Networks:
You can see all Generative Adversarial Networktutorials listed here. Below is a selection of some of the most popular tutorials.
Need More Help?
Im here to help you become awesome at applied machine learning.
If youstill have questions and need help, you have some options:
- New Research Claims to Have Found a Solution to Machine Learning Attacks - Analytics Insight - May 18th, 2020
- Patent Analytics Market to Reach USD 1,668.4 Million by 2027; Integration of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence to Spur Business... - May 18th, 2020
- AI, machine learning, and blockchain are key for healthcare innovation - Health Europa - May 18th, 2020
- Our Behaviour in This Pandemic Has Seriously Confused AI Machine Learning Systems - ScienceAlert - May 18th, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Machine Learning in Healthcare Cybersecurity Market Report 2020 - News Distinct - May 18th, 2020
- Associations with No Place to Meet Are Turning to JUNO, A Live and On-Demand Digital Platform - AiThority - May 18th, 2020
- Reality Of Metrics: Is Machine Learning Success Overhyped? - Analytics India Magazine - May 18th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market to Reach USD 297.54 Billion by 2027; Higher Adoption of Machine Learning to Boost Growth, Says Fortune Business Insights -... - May 18th, 2020
- Q&A on the Book Hands-On Genetic Algorithms with Python - InfoQ.com - May 18th, 2020
- Bitglass Integrates CrowdStrike's Machine-Learning Technology to Provide Zero-Day Advanced Threat Protection in the Cloud - Business Wire - May 18th, 2020
- Parasoft Unleashes Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning to Accelerate Time to Market for the Safety-Critical Industry - PRNewswire - May 12th, 2020
- How to overcome AI and machine learning adoption barriers - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - May 12th, 2020
- Canaan's Kendryte K210 and the Future of Machine Learning - CapitalWatch - May 12th, 2020
- Machine Learning Software Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 12th, 2020
- Eta Compute Partners with Edge Impulse to Accelerate the Development and Deployment of Machine Learning at the Edge - Yahoo Finance - May 12th, 2020
- Quantzig Launches New Article Series on COVID-19's Impact - 'Understanding Why Online Food Delivery Companies Are Betting Big on AI and Machine... - May 12th, 2020
- Five Strategies for Putting AI at the Center of Digital Transformation - Knowledge@Wharton - May 12th, 2020
- Twitter adds former Google VP and A.I. guru Fei-Fei Li to board as it seeks to play catch up with Google and Facebook - CNBC - May 12th, 2020
- Millions of historic newspaper images get the machine learning treatment at the Library of Congress - TechCrunch - May 9th, 2020
- Could quantum machine learning hold the key to treating COVID-19? - Tech Wire Asia - May 9th, 2020
- Machine Learning Engineer: Challenges and Changes Facing the Profession - Dice Insights - May 9th, 2020
- How Machine Learning Is Redefining The Healthcare Industry - Small Business Trends - May 9th, 2020
- Udacity partners with AWS to offer scholarships on machine learning for working professionals - Business Insider India - May 9th, 2020
- Tackling climate change with machine learning: Covid-19 and the energy transition - pv magazine International - May 9th, 2020
- Machine Learning Engineers Will Not Exist In 10 Years - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The Predictive Analytics... - May 9th, 2020
- The Struggle is Real 3 Considerations to Make Machine Learning More Effective - Martechcube - May 9th, 2020
- Determined AI makes its machine learning infrastructure free and open source - TechCrunch - May 1st, 2020
- Microsoft: This is how to protect your machine-learning applications - TechRepublic - May 1st, 2020
- Tecton.ai Launches with New Data Platform to Make Machine Learning Accessible to Every Company - insideBIGDATA - May 1st, 2020
- How To Verify The Memory Loss Of A Machine Learning Model - Analytics India Magazine - May 1st, 2020
- AI, machine learning and automation in cybersecurity: The time is now - GCN.com - May 1st, 2020
- Could Machine Learning Replace the Entire Weather Forecast System? - HPCwire - May 1st, 2020
- Global Machine Learning As A Service (Mlaas) Market : Industry Analysis And Forecast (2020-2027) - MR Invasion - May 1st, 2020
- Dascena Announces Publication of Prospective Study Evaluating Effect of its Machine Learning Algorithm on Severe Sepsis Prediction - Business Wire - May 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning in Medicine Market 2020-2024 Review and Outlook - Latest Herald - May 1st, 2020
- Rise in the demand for Machine Learning & AI skills in the post-COVID world - Times of India - May 1st, 2020
- A.I. can't solve this: The coronavirus could be highlighting just how overhyped the industry is - CNBC - May 1st, 2020
- Is Machine Learning Model Management The Next Big Thing In 2020? - Analytics India Magazine - May 1st, 2020
- Apple is on a hiring freeze ... except for its Hardware, Machine Learning and AI teams - Thinknum Media - May 1st, 2020
- Global Machine Learning as a Service Market Industry Raesearch Report, Growth Trends and Competitive Analysis 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- Infragistics Adds Predictive Analytics, Machine Learning and More - Patch.com - April 15th, 2020
- Machine Learning as a Service Market Coronavirus (COVID-19) Impact Analysis with Global Innovations, Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments... - April 15th, 2020
- Nothing to hide? Then add these to your ML repo, Papers with Code says DEVCLASS - DevClass - April 15th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Software Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Bandera County Courier - April 15th, 2020
- Why the information security of your company depends on machine learning - SC Magazine - April 13th, 2020
- Automated Machine Learning is the Future of Data Science - Analytics Insight - April 13th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence: From Machine Learning to NLP, these are the best 8 reasonable topics for Research ... - Gizmo Posts 24 - April 13th, 2020
- The impact of machine learning on the legal industry - ITProPortal - April 13th, 2020
- WekaIO Recognized as One of CRN's Top 100 Storage Vendors for 2020 - AiThority - April 13th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Market expected to grow USD XX.X million by 2025 , at a CAGR of XX% during forecast period: Microsoft, IBM, SAP, SAS, Google,... - April 13th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Is Going to Revolutionize the Executive Search World - BRINK - April 13th, 2020
- What Is The Difference Between Artificial Intelligence And ... - April 10th, 2020
- Machine Learning: Making Sense of Unstructured Data and Automation in Alt Investments - Traders Magazine - April 10th, 2020
- Machine Learning Improves Weather and Climate Models - Eos - April 10th, 2020
- What Will Be the Future Prospects Of the Machine Learning Software Market? Trends, Factors, Opportunities and Restraints - Science In Me - April 10th, 2020
- How Microsoft Teams will use AI to filter out typing, barking, and other noise from video calls - VentureBeat - April 10th, 2020
- Infragistics Adds Predictive Analytics, Machine Learning and More to Reveal Embedded Business Intelligence Tool - GlobeNewswire - April 3rd, 2020
- Google is using machine learning to improve the quality of Duo calls - The Verge - April 3rd, 2020
- Data Science and Machine-Learning Platformss Market Share Opportunities Trends, And Forecasts To 2020-2027 with Key Players: SAS, Alteryx, IBM,... - April 3rd, 2020
- Google TensorFlow Cert Suggests AI, ML Certifications on the Rise - Dice Insights - April 3rd, 2020
- AI cant predict how a childs life will turn out even with a ton of data - MIT Technology Review - April 3rd, 2020
- Machine Learning in Life Sciences Market Report History and Forecast 2020 Breakdown Data by Manufacturers, by Key Regions, Types and Applications -... - April 3rd, 2020
- The Global Machine Learning Market is expected to grow by USD 11.16 bn during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of 39% during the forecast period -... - April 3rd, 2020
- Well-Completion System Supported by Machine Learning Maximizes Asset Value - Journal of Petroleum Technology - April 3rd, 2020
- Weekend Roundup: Anything-Other-Than-COVID-19 Edition (Seriously!) - Dice Insights - April 3rd, 2020
- Intel + Cornell Pioneering Work in the Science of Smell - insideBIGDATA - March 27th, 2020
- Data to the Rescue! Predicting and Preventing Accidents at Sea - JAXenter - March 27th, 2020
- Return On Artificial Intelligence: The Challenge And The Opportunity - Forbes - March 27th, 2020
- Noble.AI Contributes to TensorFlow, Google's Open-Source AI Library and the Most Popular Deep Learning - AiThority - March 27th, 2020
- PSD2: How machine learning reduces friction and satisfies SCA - The Paypers - March 27th, 2020
- Machine learning teams with antibody science on COVID-19 treatment discovery - AI in Healthcare - March 27th, 2020
- Neural networks facilitate optimization in the search for new materials - MIT News - March 27th, 2020
- Natural Language Processing is an Untapped AI Tool for Innovation - Yahoo Finance - March 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus lockdown: 10 free online computer science courses from Harvard, Princeton & other top universities to study - Gadgets Now - March 27th, 2020
- How AI Can Realize The Promise Of Adaptive Education - Forbes - March 27th, 2020
- Udacity offers free tech training to laid-off workers due to the coronavirus pandemic - CNBC - March 27th, 2020
- Will COVID-19 Create a Big Moment for AI and Machine Learning? - Dice Insights - March 25th, 2020
- How our publisher harnessed machine learning to overhaul Techday websites - CFOtech New Zealand - March 25th, 2020
- dotData Receives APN Machine Learning Competency Partner of the Year Award - WFMZ Allentown - March 25th, 2020
- Machine Learning Engineer Interview Questions: What You Need to Know - Dice Insights - March 25th, 2020