The Transformational Tech series highlights Cisco's nonprofit grant recipient that uses technology to help transform the lives of individuals and communities.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) are utilized in many different industries. AI and ML create more efficient virtual healthcare visits and more intuitive online education platforms. They enhance agriculture through IoT devices to monitor soil health, and devise new ways for people to access banking and other financial services.
This type of technology can also be used to improve services that nonprofits provide to local communities. At Cisco, we have a proven track record of supporting nonprofits through our strategic social impact grants along with a strong culture of giving back. Cisco's AI for Good program brings these values together by connecting Cisco data science talent to nonprofits that do not have the resources to use AI/ML to meet their goals.
Cisco AI product manager and former data scientist Arya Taylor leads the AI for Good program. Arya shared, 'AI for Good is specifically dedicated to the data science community at Cisco. We heard that a lot of data scientists want to apply their skills to a problem for good.'
The AI for Good team constantly works to grow its network of nonprofit partners by engaging with the team that manages Cisco's social impact grants and by reaching out to nonprofits directly. One of the organizations that AI for Good volunteers support is Cisco nonprofit partner Replate. Based out of Oakland, California, Replate reduces food waste through a digital platform that makes it easy for companies to schedule on-demand pickups for their surplus food. Replate's food rescuers bring donated food to nonprofit partners who distribute it to people of all ages and backgrounds who are experiencing food insecurity.
Cisco data scientists use ML to forecast food supply and optimize Replate's operations
Cisco's AI for Good team spent six months working with Replate to develop a model that can forecast food supply to maximize food recovery and optimize their operations. Replate's staff met with Cisco's AI for Good team via WebEx to share more about their method of food recovery. Cisco data scientists first assessed the scope of Replate's needs and learned how they could best apply their skills in ML to make an impact.
This Cisco AI for Good project was led by data scientist Aarthi Janakiraman, who also served as cause champion-which means she led the project from start to finish to ensure the project's success. Other members of the project included data scientist Idris Kuti and ML operations expert David Meyer. The team looked at how Cisco's machine learning models would allow Replate to predict surplus food supply within their donor network.
Because Replate offers a variety of donor plans to their partners, it can be challenging to calculate availability and capacity. As a result, Cisco's data scientists developed an ML model that could predict the total pounds of food each donor would contribute on any given day. This more accurate prediction helps Replate's food rescuers, who deliver the food, as well as the nonprofit organizations that rely on meal delivery.
'Before our project started,' Arya explained, 'Replate was using a rules-based model with different thresholds that would determine the estimated amount. But there's no single threshold in machine learning that you can apply to every single donor; it just becomes more personalized to that donor and evolves as more data is collected. So, it works more like our brain, rather than a static generalization.'
Aarthi gave an example: 'Let's say there is a donor for Replate, and they tell us that next Friday they will be able to provide 60 trays of food. This number is often a skewed estimate-donations are typically from grocery stores, corporate cafeterias, or farmer's markets, who may not be able to provide an exact prediction due to the variability of consumption. Our model will take in different information about the donor and estimate a more accurate donation amount in pounds. That estimation will go into Replate's algorithm and match the food rescue task to the correct driver.'
By incorporating machine learning models, Replate can also predict donation volume for existing and new partners. The volume of a new donor's first pickup will be predicted based on data from donors in similar regions or industries. 'Such forecasting will make a significant difference in our operations and allow us to better fulfill our mission,' said Mehran Navabi, senior data scientist at Replate. 'Replate will implement these models into our codebase and integrate them within our existing routing algorithm. The algorithms will coalesce to automate driver-dispatches for each donor's pickup.'
Cisco and Replate: Working together to create lasting change
Replate's team met with Cisco data scientists for biweekly progress reports throughout the project lifecycle and discussed how they could advance their platform's technological capacities. The models that the AI for Good team created will enable smarter dispatching, which will allow a greater volume of food to be recovered and delivered to communities in need.
According to Mehran, one challenge for Replate is meeting the different needs and expectations of their nonprofit partners who serve diverse populations with varying capacities for food storage and meal distribution. Having a model to forecast food supply can reduce waste and help Replate connect food delivery tasks to the correct drivers to ensure as much food as possible will be given to those in need. The project may even increase the amount of surplus food that can be recovered by giving Replate the information needed to make smarter, predictive dispatching decisions.
Now, Cisco's AI for Good team is handing over the project to Replate and will leave them with a maintenance plan which will allow them to retrain the model on Google Cloud Platform. They also built out a service that will track the model's accuracy, so any adjustments can be made as time goes on.
'Working with Cisco's AI for Good team was incredible,' said Mehran. 'Their team was professional and knowledgeable. And overall, their communication was excellent. The partnership enabled Replate to build a fruitful and beneficial connection with the Cisco team and foster new approaches to the way we collect and interpret data.'
See original here:
- Will Data Science be in Demand in the Future? - Entrepreneur - September 30th, 2021
- Promoting the Public Good | UVA Today - UVA Today - September 30th, 2021
- MetaCell launches innovative Cloud Hosting for life science and healthcare - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2021
- KDD 2021 Honors Recipients of the SIGKDD Best Paper Awards - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2021
- Analytics Insight Announces Big Data Analytics Companies of the Year - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2021
- R is better than Python. Try telling that to banks - eFinancialCareers - September 30th, 2021
- World AI & Data Science Conference to be held on October 13th, 2021 - Analytics Insight - September 27th, 2021
- How Data Science and Big Data are Shaping the Indian Food Industry in 2021? - Analytics Insight - September 27th, 2021
- mRNA Could Fight Diseases Such as Alzheimer's and Cancer, With Help of UVA Scientist - University of Virginia - September 27th, 2021
- Media advisory: Kevin Leicht to testify before congressional subcommittee about disinformation - University of Illinois News - September 27th, 2021
- Heard on the Street 9/27/2021 - insideBIGDATA - September 27th, 2021
- New Business Institute at UT Austin Will Specialize in Sports Analytics - Diverse: Issues in Higher Education - September 27th, 2021
- How AI is Transforming The Race Strategy Of Electric Vehicles - Analytics India Magazine - September 27th, 2021
- Argentine project analyzing how data science and artificial intelligence can help prevent the outbreak of Covid-19 | Chosen from more than 150... - September 25th, 2021
- Metropolitan Chicago Data-science Corps to partner with area organizations on projects - Northwestern University NewsCenter - September 25th, 2021
- Business of Sports Institute at UT McCombs School Founded by Gift from Accenture - UT News - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - September 25th, 2021
- 'I Want The Folks in Our Society to Be Data Literate So That We Are Making Good Decisions Together for the Good of the World,' Says Professor... - September 25th, 2021
- Pandemic oversight board to preserve data analytics tools beyond its sunset date - Federal News Network - September 25th, 2021
- Increase the Readability of Your Python Script With 1 Simple Tool - Built In - September 25th, 2021
- On World Cancer Research Day, Illumina Highlights the Transformative Power of Genomics - Yahoo Finance - September 25th, 2021
- An Introduction to Portfolio Optimization in Python - Built In - September 25th, 2021
- Life sciences use of digital twins mirrors its application in other industries - MedCity News - September 25th, 2021
- The Top 3 Tools Every Data Scientist Needs - Built In - September 21st, 2021
- OpsRamp Introduces The Future of Incident Response: Harnessing Machine Learning and Data Science to Predict and Prevent IT Outages - Yahoo Finance - September 21st, 2021
- Health Data Science Symposium: Smartphones, Wearables, and Health 11/5 Reduced Registration by 10/5 - HSPH News - September 21st, 2021
- Twitter round-up: KDnuggets' tweet on the importance of extract transform load (ETL) in data science the most popular tweet in Q2 2021 - Verdict - September 21st, 2021
- RwHealth: supporting the NHS with AI and data science - Healthcare Global - Healthcare News, Magazine and Website - September 21st, 2021
- Trialbee and Castor Partner to Democratize Access and Simplify Enrollment to Clinical Trials Globally - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - September 21st, 2021
- Data Scientist vs Data Engineers: All you need to know before choosing the right career path - India Today - September 21st, 2021
- Taylor & Francis Group Partners with Robert Bosch Centre for Data Science and AI to Amplify Research - IT News Online - September 21st, 2021
- Modern Hire Reveals New Research on the Effectiveness of Social Media in Hiring - PRNewswire - September 21st, 2021
- How is data science changing the way we get insured for the better? - BOSS Magazine - September 17th, 2021
- Business Analytics Lecture Series Kicks Off with Janssen Pharmaceutical's Jeffery Headd - Seton Hall University News & Events - September 17th, 2021
- The Poisson Process and Poisson Distribution, Explained (With Meteors!) - Built In - September 17th, 2021
- Understanding the Role and Attributes of Data Access Governance in Data Science & Analytics - Analytics Insight - September 17th, 2021
- Groundbreakers: U of T's Data Sciences Institute to help researchers find answers to their biggest questions - News@UofT - September 17th, 2021
- Top 15 Tools Every Data Scientist Should Bring to Work - Analytics Insight - September 17th, 2021
- Visualising the future through data at these 4 US universities - Study International News - September 15th, 2021
- $300K to teach data science for the jobs of the future | University of Hawaii System News - UH System Current News - September 15th, 2021
- Legacy Companies Biggest AI Challenge Often Isnt What You Might Think - Forbes - September 15th, 2021
- Is AI racist? Why more diversity is needed in the field of data science - The National - September 15th, 2021
- dotData and Tableau Partner to Accelerate Augmented and Predictive Analytics for the Business Intelligence Community - Yahoo Finance - September 15th, 2021
- The UK government has ended Palantir's NHS data deal. But the fight isn't over - Open Democracy - September 15th, 2021
- Global Data Science Platform Market Anticipated to Hit $224.3 Billion by 2026, Growing at a CAGR of 31.1% from 2019 to 2026 - GlobeNewswire - August 26th, 2021
- ConcertAI Expands Data Science Collaboration with Janssen to Drive Effective Therapies and Address Health Disparities in Clinical Trials - Woburn... - August 26th, 2021
- Liquidity is key to unlocking the value in data, researchers say - MIT Sloan News - August 26th, 2021
- MSK Study Identifies Biomarker That May Help Predict Benefits of Immunotherapy - On Cancer - Memorial Sloan Kettering - August 26th, 2021
- Understanding The Macroscope Initiative And GeoML - Forbes - August 26th, 2021
- Cancer Informatics for Cancer Centers: Scientific Drivers for Informatics, Data Science, and Care in Pediatric, Adolescent, and Young Adult Cancer -... - August 26th, 2021
- Empowering the Intelligent Data-Driven Enterprise in the Cloud - CDOTrends - August 26th, 2021
- The Winners Of Weekend Hackathon -Tea Story at MachineHack - Analytics India Magazine - August 26th, 2021
- Data science is a team sport: How to choose the right players - ZDNet - August 24th, 2021
- Mathematical Optimization: A Powerful Prescriptive Analytics Technology That Belongs In Your Data Science Toolbox - insideBIGDATA - August 24th, 2021
- Could Data Science Diversify the STEM Field? Why Courses Designed This Century Feel so Relevant to All Students - MindShift - KQED - August 24th, 2021
- Data science and digital coding could soon be the new English - Mint - August 24th, 2021
- Perfect data science team: The right blend of roles, responsibilities and skills - ETCIO.com - August 24th, 2021
- Top Data Science Quizzes That You Must Give a Try in 2021 - Analytics Insight - August 24th, 2021
- Governor Pritzker announced U of I will receive over $140 million funds - wcia.com - August 24th, 2021
- Excelra launches a re-envisioned version of GOSTAR, its structure-activity relationship application, with an innovative set of new features to... - August 24th, 2021
- Lacklustre success of analytics in the public cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - August 24th, 2021
- The Best Udacity Nanodegrees for Data Analytics and Visualization - Solutions Review - August 24th, 2021
- 5 tips to begin your career in the field of Data Science - India Today - August 14th, 2021
- What Stops Data Science from Scaling? Domino Data Lab to Host Enterprise MLOps Expert Virtual Panel on August 19th Exploring Common Failures and... - August 14th, 2021
- Fill the Application for These Top Data Scientist Jobs in MNCs Today - Analytics Insight - August 14th, 2021
- The rise of the autonomous data science teams - ETCIO.com - August 14th, 2021
- Learn the wonders of big data with this super-sized learning bundle for under $60 - The Next Web - August 14th, 2021
- Wildfire smoke may have contributed to thousands of extra COVID-19 cases and deaths in western US in 2020 - Harvard School of Engineering and Applied... - August 14th, 2021
- Seed grant to explore using AI to model subsurface rock formations | Penn State University - Penn State News - August 14th, 2021
- Augmented analytics capabilities mark the new era of BI - TechTarget - August 14th, 2021
- AdTheorent, a Leader in Data Science and Machine Learning Optimized Advertising, to List on NASDAQ via Merger with MCAP Acquisition Corporation -... - July 27th, 2021
- Why is it Necessary for Engineers to Learn Data Science in 2021? - Analytics Insight - July 27th, 2021
- Alliance formed to create new professional standards for data science - FE News - July 27th, 2021
- Hypertension: Comparing ACE inhibitors and ARBs - Medical News Today - July 27th, 2021
- Data Science is Here to Spearhead Organizations Through Tough Competition - Analytics Insight - July 25th, 2021
- The Biggest Data Science News Items During the First Half of 2021 - Solutions Review - July 25th, 2021
- Behind the scenes: A day in the life of a data scientist - TechRepublic - July 25th, 2021
- Scaling AI and data science 10 smart ways to move from pilot to production - VentureBeat - July 25th, 2021
- Beware the 1% view of data science - ComputerWeekly.com - July 25th, 2021
- Top Data Science Jobs to Apply for this Weekend - Analytics Insight - July 25th, 2021
- Thickness and structure of the martian crust from InSight seismic data - Science Magazine - July 25th, 2021