It's kind of a unique opportunity because there wasn't a high school data science course before, said Suyen Machado, director of the Introduction to Data Science program, which was started as a partnership between UCLA and the Los Angeles Unified School District nearly ten years ago. The program was funded with a National Science Foundation grant to increase the amount of students going into STEM careers and to bring computational and statistical thinking to underrepresented high school students, according to Machado.
Engaging lessons that are inquiry driven, student driven and collaborative are really well suited for underrepresented groups, and you will find all of that in our curriculum. And they're good for students in general, Machado said.
The data science curriculum gives students opportunities to look at real data instead of abstract formulas.
It's just so much fun, said James Molyneux, a professor at Oregon State University who was involved in the development of IDS. For example, students can collect their data and compare themselves to larger government data sets, like the American Time Use Survey from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Students can measure how much time they spend grooming, eating, being with family and consuming social media, according to Molyneux.
Among students, theres a growing interest in data sets, such as pollution in school communities and which gender character is most likely to survive a horror film. For IDS participants, the most popular data project involves snacks.
It honestly made me more aware of what I was taking in and putting in my body, said student Linda Solares of Leuzinger High School of the snack project. Not to worry, the unit is not about encouraging weight loss or anything. Students used the IDS app to track information like the amount of salt, sugar content, cost, number of ingredients or their reasons for eating.Were in quarantine, we're eating a lot more out of boredom and stuff. So honestly, it really helped me, said Solares. After I finished the survey, I was like, whoa, she said, I was really eating not so healthy.
Surveys of IDS students in LAUSD found that coding was the most challenging part of the course, but also, the most important skill students learned. Using programming tools, like RStudio, they persisted by trying over and over again to get their code right. And that helped boost confidence in their ability to problem solve.
The lab is a lesson for us to learn about the codes and how we can implement them in certain situations, said Leuzinger student Peter Tran, who would test different variables against one another, like finding the most common time of day students ate unhealthy snacks.
An important part of the data science curriculum is understanding privacy matters, and knowing how data is collected about people and used against them. This knowledge can help develop a person's media literacy.
"There's a lot of misinformation out there," said Boaler. "Having students develop a critical perspective that's one of the things we can teach in data science. Be skeptical of data that's put in front of you, ask questions of it, think about who put that data together, what purpose did they have for it."
The messiness of the data sets is part of the appeal for students; its what engages them in learning and not shying away from unknown outcomes, according to Concord Consortiums Chad Dorsey.
It's almost sort of pre-chewed and preordained, said Dorsey of traditional curriculum that doesnt engage students. And when we do that, we take a lot of the discovery away. We're finding the value in putting students into the place of needing to ask and answer questions with data that might be ambiguous or that might have a missing value, said Dorsey. As part of an NSF grant, the group developed the free CODAP tool so teachers can integrate data skills into their classes, such as science. The group also provides teachers with professional development.
We're finding the value of putting students in the driver's seat to do the exploration themselves, to uncover new things in the data that maybe the teachers didn't understand was there in the first place and where students are finding something different than their neighbors, said Dorsey.
For Leuzinger High School IDS teacher Ding-ay Tadena, that has meant giving students agency over the topics they want to investigate, such as sports. They learn how to think deeper and then use these math skills and eventually they love it, says Tadena, who has seen students of all math levels succeed in data science. She says that in data science class, students see themselves as more than the math track theyre in.
It taught them how to dream bigger rather than just being profiled as lower performing in terms of math, she said. And that is the beauty of it because you teach them how to code, how to do this data, how to scrape data from the internet and push it in R in the field that interests them. Tadena, who has been teaching math for about two decades, says data science is in many ways a respite for math teachers like herself who are looking for ways to engage their students.
The students are so interested, Tadena said. Theyre so into it.
For science teacher Emerlyn Gatchalian, having Concord Consortiums CODAP tool makes understanding the periodic table easier for some of her students. They're looking at the different properties of elements in the periodic table using data like the atomic size, ionic size, she said. Because they're using data using CODAP, it's so easy for them to look for patterns and trends and make them feel that they can actually understand and interpret data instead of using all the equations that they're learning in math.
For high school special education teacher Michelle Murtha, students ability to graph their data using digital tools helped them understand it. "Sometimes, graphing itself is so hard for the students. But because the program helps them through it, she said, they're able to actually see the graph. And for us, that's more important, so they can actually analyze the data versus, can you plot this point?
REDEFINING HIGH SCHOOL
When Emilio Jaime was a student at Phineas Banning High School, he was on track to take AP Calculus his senior year. He had been confident about math throughout school, but decided to take IDS based on a teachers suggestion. Plus, one less AP class would help ease his senior year course load.
"I decided to let go of calculus and took on IDS, which I'm so glad I did, because I guess I was just scared because it wasn't the norm that students were doing," said Jaime, who graduated from UC Berkeley last spring.
What he liked about data science was the ability to play with formulas and not feel limited by right and wrong answers that were the hallmark of his math education. This is how the formula is, and this is the answer, and there is a wrong answer, he said of his earlier relationship to math. But data science was more fluid. On our projects, I tried so many different graphs and so many different solutions to try to create so many different conclusions.
I think IDS and data science really allows students to try different things without being scared to fail, he said.
IDS trains teachers across the country and abroad on how to teach data science as a course. Its one of several programs, including ones operated by the Concord Consortium and Boalers YouCubed. The outcome of getting more underrepresented students in the STEM field has yet to be seen. But for now, these educators are shifting students experiences with STEM to increase the odds that theyll stay.
All of these skills will hopefully help students become better informed members of society.
I think that's the biggest gift that we can give students right now no matter how we're doing it is to help them understand that there are data all around them, that those data have answers, that they come from people, and that the things that they are doing are generating data all over, and to give them the ability to start to feel empowered to work with this data themselves, said Dorsey.
- Coatue Data Science Head Alex Izydorczyk Is Leaving the Company - Business Insider - November 25th, 2021
- Data Science Is a Key Weapon in the Fight Against Fraud - Built In - November 25th, 2021
- Grads from MIT, IITs, IIMs and other Renowned Varsities Working on Building LIVEY, a World-Class Data Science and AI-powered Healthcare Solution -... - November 25th, 2021
- Tim Kao: Infusing Data Science to Revolutionize the Functionalities of Navy and Marine Industries - Analytics Insight - November 25th, 2021
- COVID-19: Compliance to household mixing restrictions in England decreased with each lockdown - EurekAlert - November 25th, 2021
- Data science approaches to confronting the COVID-19 pandemic: a narrative review - DocWire News - November 25th, 2021
- Bayer and Microsoft partner to build new cloud-based digital tools - IT Brief New Zealand - November 25th, 2021
- Elizabeth Holmes testifies in Theranos trial & Athenahealth acquisition 2.0 - STAT - November 25th, 2021
- Who are the current generation of Chief Data Officers? - ComputerWeekly.com - November 25th, 2021
- Analysis in Government Awards 2021 Shortlist - GOV.UK - November 25th, 2021
- Pace receives NSF grant to expand data science instruction nationwide - Westfair Online - November 17th, 2021
- Snowflake Shapes the Future of Data Science with Python Support - Business Wire - November 17th, 2021
- UK Railroads Invest in Data Science, AI, and Machine Learning - Cities of the Future - November 17th, 2021
- Top Upcoming Data Science Webinars to Attend in 2021 - Analytics Insight - November 17th, 2021
- The Iconic CEO Erica Berchtold wants to use the science of data to convert you to online shopping - The Australian Financial Review - November 17th, 2021
- Immunosuppressants linked to severe reactions in people with common genetic profile - Stanford Medical Center Report - November 17th, 2021
- Why Genpact 'Dare in Reality' Is A Hackathon Not To Be Missed - Analytics India Magazine - November 17th, 2021
- TigerGraph expands its graph data library with 20 new algorithms - VentureBeat - November 17th, 2021
- Improving Your Odds of ML Success with MLOps - insideBIGDATA - November 17th, 2021
- Smarter Production and Data-Driven Insight | - Advanced Television - November 17th, 2021
- The Role of Women in Scalping up AI and Data Science - Analytics Insight - November 10th, 2021
- Debunking The Four Most Common Data Science Myths - Influencive - November 10th, 2021
- Olive Partners with ClosedLoop to Improve Care and Reduce Financial Risk for Patients - Yahoo Finance - November 10th, 2021
- Knowland Releases First-of-Its-Kind Future Event Activity Forecast - PRNewswire - November 10th, 2021
- The Question Weve Stopped Asking About Teen-Agers and Social Media - The New Yorker - November 10th, 2021
- Do You Want To Deploy Responsible AI In Your Organization? Join This Session To Operationalize Responsible AI - Analytics India Magazine - November 10th, 2021
- In-Demand skills research finds the US is one of the most competitive markets for skilled tech workers, but talent scarcity is a global issue -... - November 10th, 2021
- Data Science Master's Degree | 100% Online | University of ... - November 6th, 2021
- MSE in Data Science - November 6th, 2021
- Variable Names: Why They're a Mess and How to Clean Them Up - Built In - November 6th, 2021
- UVA Announces New Research Partnership at Intersection of Business and Data Science - UVA Today - November 6th, 2021
- Succeeding in Data Science Projects Inputs that Could Help You - Analytics Insight - November 6th, 2021
- Inspiring Innovation; New Short Talks Features Karl Schubert and Data Science Program - University of Arkansas Newswire - November 6th, 2021
- How to succeed around data science projects - Information Age - November 6th, 2021
- Training students at the intersection of power engineering and computer science WSU Insider - WSU News - November 6th, 2021
- California Tries to Close the Gap in Math, but Sets Off a Backlash - The New York Times - November 6th, 2021
- A look at some of the AI and ML expert speakers at the iMerit ML DataOps Summit - TechCrunch - November 6th, 2021
- Exploring, Monitoring and Modeling the Deep Ocean Are Goals of New Research - UT News - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - November 6th, 2021
- UVA Science and Engineering Faculty Win 12 NSF Career Awards - University of Virginia - November 6th, 2021
- Microsoft Excel is still the data analytics gold standard. The pre-Black Friday sale can teach you fast. - The Next Web - November 6th, 2021
- Heard on the Street 10/28/2021 - insideBIGDATA - October 28th, 2021
- Insights on the Data Science Platform Global Market to 2027 - Featuring Microsoft, IBM and Google Among Others - Yahoo Finance - October 28th, 2021
- Ericsson helps Giga to map connectivity in more than a million schools - Ericsson - October 28th, 2021
- NIH awards nearly $75M to catalyze data science research in Africa - National Institutes of Health - October 26th, 2021
- Worldwide Data Science Platform Industry to 2027 - Increasing Adoption of Data-Driven Technologies by Enterprises Presents Opportunities - PRNewswire - October 26th, 2021
- Multi-institution project to train Kenyan experts to bring social determinants to bear on modeling health outcomes - Newswise - October 26th, 2021
- Takeda's Krista McKee on Shifting the Data Ecosystem - Bio-IT World - October 26th, 2021
- Stitch Fix CEO: 'Data science and algorithms are at the core' of the company - Oakland News Now - October 26th, 2021
- Miami Dade College to Host 10th Anniversary School of Science White Coat Ceremony and STEM Research Symposium - The Reporter - October 26th, 2021
- FDA takes hands-on approach to upskill workforce under data modernization action plan - Federal News Network - October 26th, 2021
- Global Data Science Platform Market (2021 to 2027) - by Component, Deployment, Organization Size, Function, Industry Vertical and Geography -... - October 26th, 2021
- Planning to study Data Science after Plus-Two? Heres what is on offer - Telegraph India - October 26th, 2021
- Consumer-facing Companies Still Have Few Incentives to Stop Data Breaches, and Thats a National Security Concern. - Council on Foreign Relations - October 26th, 2021
- Skills and online courses to become a Data Scientist, the top job role in the world by 2025 - India Today - October 26th, 2021
- Which degree is right for me: data science or digital health? - News - The University of Sydney - October 26th, 2021
- Data Science Leaders are Ruling the Corporate Industry for their Technical Talent as well as Management Expertise - Analytics Insight - October 26th, 2021
- Will Data Science be in Demand in the Future? - Entrepreneur - September 30th, 2021
- Promoting the Public Good | UVA Today - UVA Today - September 30th, 2021
- MetaCell launches innovative Cloud Hosting for life science and healthcare - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2021
- KDD 2021 Honors Recipients of the SIGKDD Best Paper Awards - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2021
- Analytics Insight Announces Big Data Analytics Companies of the Year - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2021
- R is better than Python. Try telling that to banks - eFinancialCareers - September 30th, 2021
- World AI & Data Science Conference to be held on October 13th, 2021 - Analytics Insight - September 27th, 2021
- How Data Science and Big Data are Shaping the Indian Food Industry in 2021? - Analytics Insight - September 27th, 2021
- mRNA Could Fight Diseases Such as Alzheimer's and Cancer, With Help of UVA Scientist - University of Virginia - September 27th, 2021
- Media advisory: Kevin Leicht to testify before congressional subcommittee about disinformation - University of Illinois News - September 27th, 2021
- Heard on the Street 9/27/2021 - insideBIGDATA - September 27th, 2021
- New Business Institute at UT Austin Will Specialize in Sports Analytics - Diverse: Issues in Higher Education - September 27th, 2021
- How AI is Transforming The Race Strategy Of Electric Vehicles - Analytics India Magazine - September 27th, 2021
- Argentine project analyzing how data science and artificial intelligence can help prevent the outbreak of Covid-19 | Chosen from more than 150... - September 25th, 2021
- Metropolitan Chicago Data-science Corps to partner with area organizations on projects - Northwestern University NewsCenter - September 25th, 2021
- Business of Sports Institute at UT McCombs School Founded by Gift from Accenture - UT News - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - September 25th, 2021
- 'I Want The Folks in Our Society to Be Data Literate So That We Are Making Good Decisions Together for the Good of the World,' Says Professor... - September 25th, 2021
- Pandemic oversight board to preserve data analytics tools beyond its sunset date - Federal News Network - September 25th, 2021
- Increase the Readability of Your Python Script With 1 Simple Tool - Built In - September 25th, 2021
- On World Cancer Research Day, Illumina Highlights the Transformative Power of Genomics - Yahoo Finance - September 25th, 2021
- An Introduction to Portfolio Optimization in Python - Built In - September 25th, 2021
- Life sciences use of digital twins mirrors its application in other industries - MedCity News - September 25th, 2021
- The Top 3 Tools Every Data Scientist Needs - Built In - September 21st, 2021
- OpsRamp Introduces The Future of Incident Response: Harnessing Machine Learning and Data Science to Predict and Prevent IT Outages - Yahoo Finance - September 21st, 2021