In this special guest feature, Dr. Gregory Glockner, Vice President and Technical Fellow at Gurobi, explains how you can get started using mathematical optimization and provides some examples of how this prescriptive analytics technology can be combined with machine learning to deliver business benefits across various industries. Prior to joining Gurobi in 2009, Dr. Glockner was partner and Chief Operating Officer for Dwaffler, a provider of decision analysis tools. Dr. Glockner has a B.S. magna cum laude from Yale University in Applied Mathematics and Music, and an M.S. and Ph.D. in Operations Research from the Georgia Institute of Technology. He has trained users of optimization software in Brazil, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, and throughout the USA and Canada. He is an expert in optimization modeling and software development.
We are in the midst of a golden age of data analytics, where high-quality data abounds and powerful, advanced analytics tools are readily available.
Enterprises across industries are looking to leverage these analytics tools to generate solutions to their mission-critical problems, guide their predictions and decisions, and gain a competitive advantage. But with so many analytics tools on the market, many companies have difficulties determining which ones they truly need.
Broadly speaking, analytics consists of three different types of tools:
All three types of analytics tools are widely used by organizations today. For example, as governments and the healthcare industry rush to vaccinate the global population against COVID-19, descriptive analytics tools can provide us with an accurate, real-time overview of current vaccination and infection rates; predictive analytics tools can forecast what would happen to infection rates if we administer more vaccines in specific locations at certain times; and prescriptive analytics tools can help us decide exactly where and when to distribute vaccines.
If you as a data scientist or IT professional want to extract maximum value from your data (by utilizing it to drive insights, predictions, decisions, and the best possible business outcomes), you should use all three types of analytics tools, ideally in an integrated manner.
You probably have a very firm grasp of descriptive and predictive analytics tools, but perhaps are not that familiar with prescriptive analytics in general and mathematical optimization (the primary prescriptive analytics tool) in particular.
In this article, Ill briefly explain how you can get started using mathematical optimization and provide some examples of how this prescriptive analytics technology can be combined with machine learning to deliver business benefits across various industries.
Learning to Leverage Mathematical Optimization at Scale
Chances are that you, like most data scientists and IT professionals, already have some experience using mathematical optimization most likely in Excel.
Like a Swiss Army Knife, Excel provides users access to a number of different tools, including forecasting and scenario analysis functionality and a basic mathematical optimization solver.
Although Excel gives you the opportunity to get your get your feet wet with these analytics tools and perform simple tasks, this softwares capabilities are quite limited as it cant handle large, multi-dimensional data sets or problems of significant complexity.
If you want use mathematical optimization or other sophisticated analytics tools at scale, you need a more specialized and robust tool for the job.
When it comes to mathematical optimization, theres a wide array of commercial mathematical optimization computational and modeling tools on the market, many of which interface with many of the popular programming languages that data scientists are accustomed to such as Python, MATLAB, and R.
You can use your programming language of choice to build mathematical optimization models and applications just like you do with machine learning.
Of course, it will take some time and effort to learn to write code for mathematical optimization, but in the end it will pay off, as you will be able to utilize this potent prescriptive analytics technology on its own or in combination with machine learning to automatically generate solutions to your most critical and challenging business problems and make optimal decisions.
Making an Impact Across Industries
Mathematical optimization and machine learning have proved to be a dynamic duo, and companies across many different industries have used these two analytics technologies together to address a wide range of real-world business problems and achieve greater productivity and profitability.
Here are just a few examples of how this combination of mathematical optimization and machine learning is delivering major busines value in various industry verticals:
Adding Mathematical Optimization to Your Data Science Toolbox
There has been a continuous increase in the number of data scientists using mathematical optimization, as well as the number of different use cases of this prescriptive analytics technology (on its own and in combination with machine learning), across various industries.
If you are interested in adding mathematical optimization to your toolbox, you can get started by exploring and experimenting with mathematical optimization in Excel. Then when you are ready to experience the full power of this technology you can move on to industrial-strength mathematical optimization tools that will enable you to tackle problems that are huge in terms of complexity, scale, and significance.
If you want to unlock the true value of your data (by using it to not only derive insights and predictions, but also to drive optimal decision making), then you need mathematical optimization along with machine learning and other analytics technologies in your toolset.
Sign up for the free insideBIGDATAnewsletter.
Join us on Twitter:@InsideBigData1 https://twitter.com/InsideBigData1
Read the rest here:
- Coatue Data Science Head Alex Izydorczyk Is Leaving the Company - Business Insider - November 25th, 2021
- Data Science Is a Key Weapon in the Fight Against Fraud - Built In - November 25th, 2021
- Grads from MIT, IITs, IIMs and other Renowned Varsities Working on Building LIVEY, a World-Class Data Science and AI-powered Healthcare Solution -... - November 25th, 2021
- Tim Kao: Infusing Data Science to Revolutionize the Functionalities of Navy and Marine Industries - Analytics Insight - November 25th, 2021
- COVID-19: Compliance to household mixing restrictions in England decreased with each lockdown - EurekAlert - November 25th, 2021
- Data science approaches to confronting the COVID-19 pandemic: a narrative review - DocWire News - November 25th, 2021
- Bayer and Microsoft partner to build new cloud-based digital tools - IT Brief New Zealand - November 25th, 2021
- Elizabeth Holmes testifies in Theranos trial & Athenahealth acquisition 2.0 - STAT - November 25th, 2021
- Who are the current generation of Chief Data Officers? - ComputerWeekly.com - November 25th, 2021
- Analysis in Government Awards 2021 Shortlist - GOV.UK - November 25th, 2021
- Pace receives NSF grant to expand data science instruction nationwide - Westfair Online - November 17th, 2021
- Snowflake Shapes the Future of Data Science with Python Support - Business Wire - November 17th, 2021
- UK Railroads Invest in Data Science, AI, and Machine Learning - Cities of the Future - November 17th, 2021
- Top Upcoming Data Science Webinars to Attend in 2021 - Analytics Insight - November 17th, 2021
- The Iconic CEO Erica Berchtold wants to use the science of data to convert you to online shopping - The Australian Financial Review - November 17th, 2021
- Immunosuppressants linked to severe reactions in people with common genetic profile - Stanford Medical Center Report - November 17th, 2021
- Why Genpact 'Dare in Reality' Is A Hackathon Not To Be Missed - Analytics India Magazine - November 17th, 2021
- TigerGraph expands its graph data library with 20 new algorithms - VentureBeat - November 17th, 2021
- Improving Your Odds of ML Success with MLOps - insideBIGDATA - November 17th, 2021
- Smarter Production and Data-Driven Insight | - Advanced Television - November 17th, 2021
- The Role of Women in Scalping up AI and Data Science - Analytics Insight - November 10th, 2021
- Debunking The Four Most Common Data Science Myths - Influencive - November 10th, 2021
- Olive Partners with ClosedLoop to Improve Care and Reduce Financial Risk for Patients - Yahoo Finance - November 10th, 2021
- Knowland Releases First-of-Its-Kind Future Event Activity Forecast - PRNewswire - November 10th, 2021
- The Question Weve Stopped Asking About Teen-Agers and Social Media - The New Yorker - November 10th, 2021
- Do You Want To Deploy Responsible AI In Your Organization? Join This Session To Operationalize Responsible AI - Analytics India Magazine - November 10th, 2021
- In-Demand skills research finds the US is one of the most competitive markets for skilled tech workers, but talent scarcity is a global issue -... - November 10th, 2021
- Data Science Master's Degree | 100% Online | University of ... - November 6th, 2021
- MSE in Data Science - November 6th, 2021
- Variable Names: Why They're a Mess and How to Clean Them Up - Built In - November 6th, 2021
- UVA Announces New Research Partnership at Intersection of Business and Data Science - UVA Today - November 6th, 2021
- Succeeding in Data Science Projects Inputs that Could Help You - Analytics Insight - November 6th, 2021
- Inspiring Innovation; New Short Talks Features Karl Schubert and Data Science Program - University of Arkansas Newswire - November 6th, 2021
- How to succeed around data science projects - Information Age - November 6th, 2021
- Training students at the intersection of power engineering and computer science WSU Insider - WSU News - November 6th, 2021
- California Tries to Close the Gap in Math, but Sets Off a Backlash - The New York Times - November 6th, 2021
- A look at some of the AI and ML expert speakers at the iMerit ML DataOps Summit - TechCrunch - November 6th, 2021
- Exploring, Monitoring and Modeling the Deep Ocean Are Goals of New Research - UT News - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - November 6th, 2021
- UVA Science and Engineering Faculty Win 12 NSF Career Awards - University of Virginia - November 6th, 2021
- Microsoft Excel is still the data analytics gold standard. The pre-Black Friday sale can teach you fast. - The Next Web - November 6th, 2021
- Heard on the Street 10/28/2021 - insideBIGDATA - October 28th, 2021
- Insights on the Data Science Platform Global Market to 2027 - Featuring Microsoft, IBM and Google Among Others - Yahoo Finance - October 28th, 2021
- Ericsson helps Giga to map connectivity in more than a million schools - Ericsson - October 28th, 2021
- NIH awards nearly $75M to catalyze data science research in Africa - National Institutes of Health - October 26th, 2021
- Worldwide Data Science Platform Industry to 2027 - Increasing Adoption of Data-Driven Technologies by Enterprises Presents Opportunities - PRNewswire - October 26th, 2021
- Multi-institution project to train Kenyan experts to bring social determinants to bear on modeling health outcomes - Newswise - October 26th, 2021
- Takeda's Krista McKee on Shifting the Data Ecosystem - Bio-IT World - October 26th, 2021
- Stitch Fix CEO: 'Data science and algorithms are at the core' of the company - Oakland News Now - October 26th, 2021
- Miami Dade College to Host 10th Anniversary School of Science White Coat Ceremony and STEM Research Symposium - The Reporter - October 26th, 2021
- FDA takes hands-on approach to upskill workforce under data modernization action plan - Federal News Network - October 26th, 2021
- Global Data Science Platform Market (2021 to 2027) - by Component, Deployment, Organization Size, Function, Industry Vertical and Geography -... - October 26th, 2021
- Planning to study Data Science after Plus-Two? Heres what is on offer - Telegraph India - October 26th, 2021
- Consumer-facing Companies Still Have Few Incentives to Stop Data Breaches, and Thats a National Security Concern. - Council on Foreign Relations - October 26th, 2021
- Skills and online courses to become a Data Scientist, the top job role in the world by 2025 - India Today - October 26th, 2021
- Which degree is right for me: data science or digital health? - News - The University of Sydney - October 26th, 2021
- Data Science Leaders are Ruling the Corporate Industry for their Technical Talent as well as Management Expertise - Analytics Insight - October 26th, 2021
- Will Data Science be in Demand in the Future? - Entrepreneur - September 30th, 2021
- Promoting the Public Good | UVA Today - UVA Today - September 30th, 2021
- MetaCell launches innovative Cloud Hosting for life science and healthcare - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2021
- KDD 2021 Honors Recipients of the SIGKDD Best Paper Awards - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2021
- Analytics Insight Announces Big Data Analytics Companies of the Year - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2021
- R is better than Python. Try telling that to banks - eFinancialCareers - September 30th, 2021
- World AI & Data Science Conference to be held on October 13th, 2021 - Analytics Insight - September 27th, 2021
- How Data Science and Big Data are Shaping the Indian Food Industry in 2021? - Analytics Insight - September 27th, 2021
- mRNA Could Fight Diseases Such as Alzheimer's and Cancer, With Help of UVA Scientist - University of Virginia - September 27th, 2021
- Media advisory: Kevin Leicht to testify before congressional subcommittee about disinformation - University of Illinois News - September 27th, 2021
- Heard on the Street 9/27/2021 - insideBIGDATA - September 27th, 2021
- New Business Institute at UT Austin Will Specialize in Sports Analytics - Diverse: Issues in Higher Education - September 27th, 2021
- How AI is Transforming The Race Strategy Of Electric Vehicles - Analytics India Magazine - September 27th, 2021
- Argentine project analyzing how data science and artificial intelligence can help prevent the outbreak of Covid-19 | Chosen from more than 150... - September 25th, 2021
- Metropolitan Chicago Data-science Corps to partner with area organizations on projects - Northwestern University NewsCenter - September 25th, 2021
- Business of Sports Institute at UT McCombs School Founded by Gift from Accenture - UT News - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - September 25th, 2021
- 'I Want The Folks in Our Society to Be Data Literate So That We Are Making Good Decisions Together for the Good of the World,' Says Professor... - September 25th, 2021
- Pandemic oversight board to preserve data analytics tools beyond its sunset date - Federal News Network - September 25th, 2021
- Increase the Readability of Your Python Script With 1 Simple Tool - Built In - September 25th, 2021
- On World Cancer Research Day, Illumina Highlights the Transformative Power of Genomics - Yahoo Finance - September 25th, 2021
- An Introduction to Portfolio Optimization in Python - Built In - September 25th, 2021
- Life sciences use of digital twins mirrors its application in other industries - MedCity News - September 25th, 2021
- The Top 3 Tools Every Data Scientist Needs - Built In - September 21st, 2021
- OpsRamp Introduces The Future of Incident Response: Harnessing Machine Learning and Data Science to Predict and Prevent IT Outages - Yahoo Finance - September 21st, 2021