Building deep and ongoing data science capabilities isn't an easy process: it takes the right people, processes and technology. Finding the right people for the right roles is an ongoing challenge, as employers and job seekers alike can attest.
"The people part is probably the least well-understood aspect of this entire equation," John Thompson, global head of advanced analytics & AI at CSL Behring, said during a virtual panel discussion on Thursday.
As the head of analytics at one of the leading international biotechnology companies, Thompson oversees data science teams that tackle a wide range of initiatives. He and the experts in the virtual panel, hosted by MLOps firm Domino Data Lab, agreed that scaling data science requires more than just data scientists.
To kick off data science initiatives at CSL Behring, Thompson says he starts with a "skeleton team you need for a project to be successful." That typically includes engineers, data scientists, a UI or UX data visualist and subject matter experts.
A successful data science team also needs a leader who can make sure projects stay focused on business objectives.
"If we're saying data science is a team sport, you don't just need all the players; you need a coach," said Matt Aslett, research director for the data, AI& Analytics Channel at 451 Research.
It's clear that a complete data science team comprises more than just data scientists -- but it isn't necessarily wise to consolidate data science teams within an IT department, added Nick Elprin, CEO and co-founder at Domino Data Lab.
"One of the things we've seen among companies we work with that are most successful is they closely align those teams with business objectives," he said. "How you guide their work and prioritize, the closer you can get that to the core company objective, the more likely you are to [be successful]. When you move more into IT, you get further away from core objectives."
Managers also need to consider how their teams are organized when they're hiring, Elprin said. They should ask, he said, "What types of skills are you going to make core to the role, and what will you augment with other people you'll collaborate with?
"Companies have success [building data science teams] with folks who know stats and basic programming and augmenting them with people who know devOps or other engineering capabilities," Elprin added.
Meanwhile, it's important to consider when professional data scientists are truly needed versus tools that purport to "democratize" data science and machine learning.
"It depends on the nature of the problem you're pointing your data science and machine learning folks toward," Elprin said. "For commoditized problems, some of the auto ML solutions can be effective. If you're talking about a problem unique to your business or core to your differentiation, you need more of... the flexibility that comes with developing your own proprietary models and using the power of code to express those ideas."
Finally, advancing impactful data science projects requires buy-in from executives, Thompson noted.
"The real challenge is the macro-level change management process; it's not really about the data science process," he said. To realize the full value of a full data science initiative, he said it's important to convey to executives that "in the end, it's going to drive change. You need to be ready to drive change... if you don't want to do that, maybe we should do a project, not a program."
Go here to see the original:
- Coatue Data Science Head Alex Izydorczyk Is Leaving the Company - Business Insider - November 25th, 2021
- Data Science Is a Key Weapon in the Fight Against Fraud - Built In - November 25th, 2021
- Grads from MIT, IITs, IIMs and other Renowned Varsities Working on Building LIVEY, a World-Class Data Science and AI-powered Healthcare Solution -... - November 25th, 2021
- Tim Kao: Infusing Data Science to Revolutionize the Functionalities of Navy and Marine Industries - Analytics Insight - November 25th, 2021
- COVID-19: Compliance to household mixing restrictions in England decreased with each lockdown - EurekAlert - November 25th, 2021
- Data science approaches to confronting the COVID-19 pandemic: a narrative review - DocWire News - November 25th, 2021
- Bayer and Microsoft partner to build new cloud-based digital tools - IT Brief New Zealand - November 25th, 2021
- Elizabeth Holmes testifies in Theranos trial & Athenahealth acquisition 2.0 - STAT - November 25th, 2021
- Who are the current generation of Chief Data Officers? - ComputerWeekly.com - November 25th, 2021
- Analysis in Government Awards 2021 Shortlist - GOV.UK - November 25th, 2021
- Pace receives NSF grant to expand data science instruction nationwide - Westfair Online - November 17th, 2021
- Snowflake Shapes the Future of Data Science with Python Support - Business Wire - November 17th, 2021
- UK Railroads Invest in Data Science, AI, and Machine Learning - Cities of the Future - November 17th, 2021
- Top Upcoming Data Science Webinars to Attend in 2021 - Analytics Insight - November 17th, 2021
- The Iconic CEO Erica Berchtold wants to use the science of data to convert you to online shopping - The Australian Financial Review - November 17th, 2021
- Immunosuppressants linked to severe reactions in people with common genetic profile - Stanford Medical Center Report - November 17th, 2021
- Why Genpact 'Dare in Reality' Is A Hackathon Not To Be Missed - Analytics India Magazine - November 17th, 2021
- TigerGraph expands its graph data library with 20 new algorithms - VentureBeat - November 17th, 2021
- Improving Your Odds of ML Success with MLOps - insideBIGDATA - November 17th, 2021
- Smarter Production and Data-Driven Insight | - Advanced Television - November 17th, 2021
- The Role of Women in Scalping up AI and Data Science - Analytics Insight - November 10th, 2021
- Debunking The Four Most Common Data Science Myths - Influencive - November 10th, 2021
- Olive Partners with ClosedLoop to Improve Care and Reduce Financial Risk for Patients - Yahoo Finance - November 10th, 2021
- Knowland Releases First-of-Its-Kind Future Event Activity Forecast - PRNewswire - November 10th, 2021
- The Question Weve Stopped Asking About Teen-Agers and Social Media - The New Yorker - November 10th, 2021
- Do You Want To Deploy Responsible AI In Your Organization? Join This Session To Operationalize Responsible AI - Analytics India Magazine - November 10th, 2021
- In-Demand skills research finds the US is one of the most competitive markets for skilled tech workers, but talent scarcity is a global issue -... - November 10th, 2021
- Data Science Master's Degree | 100% Online | University of ... - November 6th, 2021
- MSE in Data Science - November 6th, 2021
- Variable Names: Why They're a Mess and How to Clean Them Up - Built In - November 6th, 2021
- UVA Announces New Research Partnership at Intersection of Business and Data Science - UVA Today - November 6th, 2021
- Succeeding in Data Science Projects Inputs that Could Help You - Analytics Insight - November 6th, 2021
- Inspiring Innovation; New Short Talks Features Karl Schubert and Data Science Program - University of Arkansas Newswire - November 6th, 2021
- How to succeed around data science projects - Information Age - November 6th, 2021
- Training students at the intersection of power engineering and computer science WSU Insider - WSU News - November 6th, 2021
- California Tries to Close the Gap in Math, but Sets Off a Backlash - The New York Times - November 6th, 2021
- A look at some of the AI and ML expert speakers at the iMerit ML DataOps Summit - TechCrunch - November 6th, 2021
- Exploring, Monitoring and Modeling the Deep Ocean Are Goals of New Research - UT News - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - November 6th, 2021
- UVA Science and Engineering Faculty Win 12 NSF Career Awards - University of Virginia - November 6th, 2021
- Microsoft Excel is still the data analytics gold standard. The pre-Black Friday sale can teach you fast. - The Next Web - November 6th, 2021
- Heard on the Street 10/28/2021 - insideBIGDATA - October 28th, 2021
- Insights on the Data Science Platform Global Market to 2027 - Featuring Microsoft, IBM and Google Among Others - Yahoo Finance - October 28th, 2021
- Ericsson helps Giga to map connectivity in more than a million schools - Ericsson - October 28th, 2021
- NIH awards nearly $75M to catalyze data science research in Africa - National Institutes of Health - October 26th, 2021
- Worldwide Data Science Platform Industry to 2027 - Increasing Adoption of Data-Driven Technologies by Enterprises Presents Opportunities - PRNewswire - October 26th, 2021
- Multi-institution project to train Kenyan experts to bring social determinants to bear on modeling health outcomes - Newswise - October 26th, 2021
- Takeda's Krista McKee on Shifting the Data Ecosystem - Bio-IT World - October 26th, 2021
- Stitch Fix CEO: 'Data science and algorithms are at the core' of the company - Oakland News Now - October 26th, 2021
- Miami Dade College to Host 10th Anniversary School of Science White Coat Ceremony and STEM Research Symposium - The Reporter - October 26th, 2021
- FDA takes hands-on approach to upskill workforce under data modernization action plan - Federal News Network - October 26th, 2021
- Global Data Science Platform Market (2021 to 2027) - by Component, Deployment, Organization Size, Function, Industry Vertical and Geography -... - October 26th, 2021
- Planning to study Data Science after Plus-Two? Heres what is on offer - Telegraph India - October 26th, 2021
- Consumer-facing Companies Still Have Few Incentives to Stop Data Breaches, and Thats a National Security Concern. - Council on Foreign Relations - October 26th, 2021
- Skills and online courses to become a Data Scientist, the top job role in the world by 2025 - India Today - October 26th, 2021
- Which degree is right for me: data science or digital health? - News - The University of Sydney - October 26th, 2021
- Data Science Leaders are Ruling the Corporate Industry for their Technical Talent as well as Management Expertise - Analytics Insight - October 26th, 2021
- Will Data Science be in Demand in the Future? - Entrepreneur - September 30th, 2021
- Promoting the Public Good | UVA Today - UVA Today - September 30th, 2021
- MetaCell launches innovative Cloud Hosting for life science and healthcare - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2021
- KDD 2021 Honors Recipients of the SIGKDD Best Paper Awards - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2021
- Analytics Insight Announces Big Data Analytics Companies of the Year - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2021
- R is better than Python. Try telling that to banks - eFinancialCareers - September 30th, 2021
- World AI & Data Science Conference to be held on October 13th, 2021 - Analytics Insight - September 27th, 2021
- How Data Science and Big Data are Shaping the Indian Food Industry in 2021? - Analytics Insight - September 27th, 2021
- mRNA Could Fight Diseases Such as Alzheimer's and Cancer, With Help of UVA Scientist - University of Virginia - September 27th, 2021
- Media advisory: Kevin Leicht to testify before congressional subcommittee about disinformation - University of Illinois News - September 27th, 2021
- Heard on the Street 9/27/2021 - insideBIGDATA - September 27th, 2021
- New Business Institute at UT Austin Will Specialize in Sports Analytics - Diverse: Issues in Higher Education - September 27th, 2021
- How AI is Transforming The Race Strategy Of Electric Vehicles - Analytics India Magazine - September 27th, 2021
- Argentine project analyzing how data science and artificial intelligence can help prevent the outbreak of Covid-19 | Chosen from more than 150... - September 25th, 2021
- Metropolitan Chicago Data-science Corps to partner with area organizations on projects - Northwestern University NewsCenter - September 25th, 2021
- Business of Sports Institute at UT McCombs School Founded by Gift from Accenture - UT News - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - September 25th, 2021
- 'I Want The Folks in Our Society to Be Data Literate So That We Are Making Good Decisions Together for the Good of the World,' Says Professor... - September 25th, 2021
- Pandemic oversight board to preserve data analytics tools beyond its sunset date - Federal News Network - September 25th, 2021
- Increase the Readability of Your Python Script With 1 Simple Tool - Built In - September 25th, 2021
- On World Cancer Research Day, Illumina Highlights the Transformative Power of Genomics - Yahoo Finance - September 25th, 2021
- An Introduction to Portfolio Optimization in Python - Built In - September 25th, 2021
- Life sciences use of digital twins mirrors its application in other industries - MedCity News - September 25th, 2021
- The Top 3 Tools Every Data Scientist Needs - Built In - September 21st, 2021
- OpsRamp Introduces The Future of Incident Response: Harnessing Machine Learning and Data Science to Predict and Prevent IT Outages - Yahoo Finance - September 21st, 2021