Machine learning and AI continue to reach further into IT services and complement applications developed by software engineers. IT teams need to sharpen their machine learning skills if they want to keep up.
Cloud computing services support an array of functionality needed to build and deploy AI and machine learning applications. In many ways, AI systems are managed much like other software that IT pros are familiar with in the cloud. But just because someone can deploy an application, that does not necessarily mean they can successfully deploy a machine learning model.
While the commonalities may partially smooth the transition, there are significant differences. Members of your IT teams need specific machine learning and AI knowledge, in addition to software engineering skills. Beyond the technological expertise, they also need to understand the cloud tools currently available to support their team's initiatives.
Explore the five machine learning skills IT pros need to successfully use AI in the cloud and get to know the products Amazon, Microsoft and Google offer to support them. There is some overlap in the skill sets, but don't expect one individual to do it all. Put your organization in the best position to utilize cloud-based machine learning by developing a team of people with these skills.
IT pros need to understand data engineering if they want to pursue any type of AI strategy in the cloud. Data engineering is comprised of a broad set of skills that requires data wrangling and workflow development, as well as some knowledge of software architecture.
These different areas of IT expertise can be broken down into different tasks IT pros should be able to accomplish. For example, data wrangling typically involves data source identification, data extraction, data quality assessments, data integration and pipeline development to carry out these operations in a production environment.
Data engineers should be comfortable working with relational databases, NoSQL databases and object storage systems. Python is a popular programming language that can be used with batch and stream processing platforms, like Apache Beam, and distributed computing platforms, such as Apache Spark. Even if you are not an expert Python programmer, having some knowledge of the language will enable you to draw from a broad array of open source tools for data engineering and machine learning.
Data engineering is well supported in all the major clouds. AWS has a full range of services to support data engineering, such as AWS Glue, Amazon Managed Streaming for Apache Kafka (MSK) and various Amazon Kinesis services. AWS Glue is a data catalog and extract, transform and load (ETL) service that includes support for scheduled jobs. MSK is a useful building block for data engineering pipelines, while Kinesis services are especially useful for deploying scalable stream processing pipelines.
Google Cloud Platform offers Cloud Dataflow, a managed Apache Beam service that supports batch and steam processing. For ETL processes, Google Cloud Data Fusion provides a Hadoop-based data integration service. Microsoft Azure also provides several managed data tools, such as Azure Cosmos DB, Data Catalog and Data Lake Analytics, among others.
Machine learning is a well-developed discipline, and you can make a career out of studying and developing machine learning algorithms.
IT teams use the data delivered by engineers to build models and create software that can make recommendations, predict values and classify items. It is important to understand the basics of machine learning technologies, even though much of the model building process is automated in the cloud.
As a model builder, you need to understand the data and business objectives. It's your job to formulate the solution to the problem and understand how it will integrate with existing systems.
Some products on the market include Google's Cloud AutoML, which is a suite of services that help build custom models using structured data as well as images, video and natural language without requiring much understanding of machine learning. Azure offers ML.NET Model Builder in Visual Studio, which provides an interface to build, train and deploy models. Amazon SageMaker is another managed service for building and deploying machine learning models in the cloud.
These tools can choose algorithms, determine which features or attributes in your data are most informative and optimize models using a process known as hyperparameter tuning. These kinds of services have expanded the potential use of machine learning and AI strategies. Just as you do not have to be a mechanical engineer to drive a car, you do not need a graduate degree in machine learning to build effective models.
Algorithms make decisions that directly and significantly impact individuals. For example, financial services use AI to make decisions about credit, which could be unintentionally biased against particular groups of people. This not only has the potential to harm individuals by denying credit but it also puts the financial institution at risk of violating regulations, like the Equal Credit Opportunity Act.
These seemingly menial tasks are imperative to AI and machine learning models. Detecting bias in a model can require savvy statistical and machine learning skills but, as with model building, some of the heavy lifting can be done by machines.
FairML is an open source tool for auditing predictive models that helps developers identify biases in their work. Experience with detecting bias in models can also help inform the data engineering and model building process. Google Cloud leads the market with fairness tools that include the What-If Tool, Fairness Indicators and Explainable AI services.
Part of the model building process is to evaluate how well a machine learning model performs. Classifiers, for example, are evaluated in terms of accuracy, precision and recall. Regression models, such as those that predict the price at which a house will sell, are evaluated by measuring their average error rate.
A model that performs well today may not perform as well in the future. The problem is not that the model is somehow broken, but that the model was trained on data that no longer reflects the world in which it is used. Even without sudden, major events, data drift can occur. It is important to evaluate models and continue to monitor them as long as they are in production.
Services such as Amazon SageMaker, Azure Machine Learning Studio and Google Cloud AutoML include an array of model performance evaluation tools.
Domain knowledge is not specifically a machine learning skill, but it is one of the most important parts of a successful machine learning strategy.
Every industry has a body of knowledge that must be studied in some capacity, especially when building algorithmic decision-makers. Machine learning models are constrained to reflect the data used to train them. Humans with domain knowledge are essential to knowing where to apply AI and to assess its effectiveness.
Read more here:
5 machine learning skills you need in the cloud - TechTarget
- The 12 Coolest Machine-Learning Startups Of 2020 - CRN - November 19th, 2020
- Utilizing machine learning to uncover the right content at KMWorld Connect 2020 - KMWorld Magazine - November 19th, 2020
- The way we train AI is fundamentally flawed - MIT Technology Review - November 19th, 2020
- DIY Camera Uses Machine Learning to Audibly Tell You What it Sees - PetaPixel - November 19th, 2020
- Machine Learning Predicts How Cancer Patients Will Respond to Therapy - HealthITAnalytics.com - November 19th, 2020
- This New Machine Learning Tool Might Stop Misinformation - Digital Information World - November 19th, 2020
- Fujitsu, AIST and RIKEN Achieve Unparalleled Speed on MLPerf HPC Machine Learning Processing Benchmark - HPCwire - November 19th, 2020
- SVG Tech Insight: Increasing Value of Sports Content Machine Learning for Up-Conversion HD to UHD - Sports Video Group - November 19th, 2020
- SiMa.ai Adopts Arm Technology to Deliver a Purpose-built Heterogeneous Machine Learning Compute Platform for the Embedded Edge - Design and Reuse - November 19th, 2020
- Machine learning removes bias from algorithms and the hiring process - PRNewswire - November 6th, 2020
- Using machine learning to track the pandemic's impact on mental health - MIT News - November 6th, 2020
- AI Recognizes COVID-19 in the Sound of a Cough Machine Learning Times - The Predictive Analytics Times - November 6th, 2020
- The consistency of machine learning and statistical models in predicting clinical risks of individual patients - The BMJ - The BMJ - November 6th, 2020
- PathAI and Gilead Report Data from Machine Learning Model Predictions of Liver Disease Progression and Treatment Response at AASLD's The Liver Meeting... - November 6th, 2020
- Google Introduces New Analytics with Machine Learning and Predictive Models - IBL News - November 6th, 2020
- Free Webinar | Machine Learning and Data Analytics in the Pandemic Era - MIT Sloan - November 6th, 2020
- Global Predictive Analytics Market (2020 to 2025) - Advent of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence is Driving Growth - PRNewswire - November 6th, 2020
- Machine learning and predictive analytics work better together - TechTarget - October 31st, 2020
- Microsoft Introduces Lobe: A Free Machine Learning Application That Allows You To Create AI Models Without Coding - MarkTechPost - October 31st, 2020
- Amwell CMO: Google partnership will focus on AI, machine learning to expand into new markets - FierceHealthcare - October 31st, 2020
- Microsoft/MITRE group declares war on machine learning vulnerabilities with Adversarial ML Threat Matrix - Diginomica - October 31st, 2020
- 93% of security operations centers employing AI and machine learning tools to detect advanced threats - Security Magazine - October 31st, 2020
- Machine Learning in Insurance Market(COVID-19 Analysis): Indoor Applications Projected to be the Most Attractive Segment during 2020-2027 - Global... - October 31st, 2020
- Leveraging Machine Learning and IDP to Scale Your Automation Program - AiiA - October 31st, 2020
- Machine learning approach could detect drivers of atrial fibrillation - Cardiac Rhythm News - October 31st, 2020
- Vanderbilt trans-institutional team shows how next-gen wearable sensor algorithms powered by machine learning could be key to preventing injuries that... - October 31st, 2020
- Machine Learning & Big Data Analytics Education Market Size And Forecast (2020-2026)| With Post Impact Of Covid-19 By Top Leading Players-... - October 31st, 2020
- The security threat of adversarial machine learning is real - TechTalks - October 31st, 2020
- Bridging the Skills Gap for AI and Machine Learning - Integration Developers - October 23rd, 2020
- Nudges and machine learning triples advanced care conversations - Penn Today - October 23rd, 2020
- Machine Learning and AI Can Now Create Plastics That Easily Degrade - Science Times - October 23rd, 2020
- insitro Strengthens Machine Learning-Based Drug Discovery Capabilities with Acquisition of Haystack Sciences - Business Wire - October 23rd, 2020
- Revolutionizing IoT with Machine Learning at the Edge | Perceive's Steve Teig - IoT For All - October 23rd, 2020
- Mastercard Says its AI and Machine Learning Solutions Aim to Stop Fraudulent Activites which have Increased Significantly due to COVID - Crowdfund... - October 23rd, 2020
- Abstract Perspective: Long-term PM2.5 Exposure and the Clinical Application of Machine Learning for Predicting Incident Atrial Fibrillation - DocWire... - October 23rd, 2020
- Machine-Learning Inference Chip Travels to the Edge - Electronic Design - October 23rd, 2020
- Machine Learning Data Catalog Software Market share forecast to witness considerable growth from 2020 to 2025 | By Top Leading Vendors IBM, Alation,... - October 23rd, 2020
- AI and machine learning: a gift, and a curse, for cybersecurity - Healthcare IT News - October 21st, 2020
- Teaming Up with Arm, NXP Ups Its Place in the Machine Learning Industry - News - All About Circuits - October 21st, 2020
- Machine Learning Capabilities Come to the Majority of Open Source Databases with MindsDB AI-Tables - PR Web - October 21st, 2020
- Soleadify secures seed funding for database that uses machine learning to track 40M businesses - TechCrunch - October 21st, 2020
- NXP Announces Expansion of its Scalable Machine Learning Portfolio and Capabilities - GlobeNewswire - October 21st, 2020
- NXP Invests in Au-Zone to Enhance Machine Learning Capabilities - Mobile ID World - October 21st, 2020
- Factories of The Future Are Using Machine Learning Analytics to Optimize Assets - Embedded Computing Design - October 21st, 2020
- Lantronix Brings Advanced AI and Machine Learning to Smart Cameras With New Open-Q 610 SOM Based on the Powerful Qualcomm QCS610 System on Chip (SOC)... - October 21st, 2020
- EMA Webinar to Uncover How Machine Learning and Predictive Analytics Can Improve Workload Automation Outcomes - PR Web - October 21st, 2020
- How To Choose The Best Machine Learning Algorithm For A Particular Problem? - Analytics India Magazine - October 21st, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Technologies Expected to Play a Key Role in Expanding Multi Billion Dollar Digital Banking Sector: Report - Crowdfund Insider - October 21st, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Amazon AI executive explains three things every business needs to address before using machine lear - Business Insider India - October 21st, 2020
- Photoshops AI neural filters can tweak age and expression with a few clicks - The Verge - October 21st, 2020
- Futurism Reinforces Its Next-Gen Business Commerce Platform With Advanced Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Capabilities - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2020
- Purebase Enhances Its Board of Advisors with An Expert on Machine Learning and Cheminformatics - GlobeNewswire - October 15th, 2020
- How to Beat Analysts and the Stock Market with Machine Learning - Knowledge@Wharton - October 15th, 2020
- Synopsys and SiMa.ai Collaborate to Bring Machine Learning Inference at Scale to the Embedded Edge - AiThority - October 15th, 2020
- Robotic Interviews, Machine Learning And the Future Of Workforce Recruitment - Entrepreneur - October 15th, 2020
- Top 8 Books on Machine Learning In Cybersecurity One Must Read - Analytics India Magazine - October 15th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Can Help Fintechs if We Focus on Practical Implementation and Move Away from Overhyped Narratives, Researcher Says - Crowdfund... - October 15th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Can Help FIs Avoid Riskbut They Have Risk of Their Own - PR Web - October 15th, 2020
- Machine learning for rowdy roadies: Cops and tech to rein in traffic offenders - Bangalore Mirror - October 15th, 2020
- Automated ATOs and cybersecurity - FCW.com - October 15th, 2020
- Experian partners with Standard Chartered to drive Financial Inclusion with Machine Learning, powering the next generation of Decisioning - Yahoo... - October 15th, 2020
- Machine Learning Answers: Facebook Stock Is Down 20% In A Month, What Are The Chances It'll Rebound? - Trefis - September 22nd, 2020
- Machine Learning in Education Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Proximity matters: Using machine learning and geospatial analytics to reduce COVID-19 exposure risk - Healthcare IT News - September 22nd, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Market Tends To Show Steady Growth Post Pandemic With Regional Overview and Top Key Players - Verdant News - September 22nd, 2020
- PREDICTING THE OPTIMUM PATH - Port Strategy - September 22nd, 2020
- AI/ML Remains The Most In-Demand Tech Skill Post COVID - Analytics India Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Panalgo Brings the Power of Machine-Learning to the Healthcare Industry Via Its IHD Software - AiThority - September 15th, 2020
- Microchip Partners with Machine-Learning (ML) Software Leaders to Simplify AI-at-the-Edge Design Using its 32-Bit Microcontrollers (MCUs) - EE Journal - September 15th, 2020
- What is 'custom machine learning' and why is it important for programmatic optimisation? - The Drum - September 15th, 2020
- PODCAST: NVIDIA's Director of Data Science Talks Machine Learning for Airlines and Aerospace - Aviation Today - September 15th, 2020
- The Use of Machine Learning to Forecast Progression to Advanced AMD - DocWire News - September 15th, 2020
- How Can Machine Learning Help the Teaching Profession? - FE News - September 15th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning in Automobile Market: Development History, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2024 - The Market Correspondent - September 15th, 2020
- Using machine learning to organize the chemical diversity - Tech Explorist - September 15th, 2020
- Dashboard AI Announces Its Technology Vision for the Foodservice and Hospitality Industry - PRNewswire - September 15th, 2020
- Alfa Releases Second Paper on AI, Using Machine Learning in the Wild - Monitor Daily - September 10th, 2020
- Combatting COVID-19 misinformation with machine learning (VB Live) - VentureBeat - September 10th, 2020
- This artist used machine learning to create realistic portraits of Roman emperors - The World - September 10th, 2020
- Domino Data Lab Named a Leader in Notebook-Based Predictive Analytics and Machine Learning Evaluation by Global Research Firm - Business Wire - September 10th, 2020