A coalition of AI researchers, data scientists, and sociologists has called on the academic world to stop publishing studies that claim to predict an individuals criminality using algorithms trained on data like facial scans and criminal statistics.
Such work is not only scientifically illiterate, says the Coalition for Critical Technology, but perpetuates a cycle of prejudice against Black people and people of color. Numerous studies show the justice system treats these groups more harshly than white people, so any software trained on this data simply amplifies and entrenches societal bias and racism.
Lets be clear: there is no way to develop a system that can predict or identify criminality that is not racially biased because the category of criminality itself is racially biased, write the group. Research of this nature and its accompanying claims to accuracy rest on the assumption that data regarding criminal arrest and conviction can serve as reliable, neutral indicators of underlying criminal activity. Yet these records are far from neutral.
An open letter written by the Coalition was drafted in response to news that Springer, the worlds largest publisher of academic books, planned to publish just such a study. The letter, which has now been signed by 1,700 experts, calls on Springer to rescind the paper and for other academic publishers to refrain from publishing similar work in the future.
At a time when the legitimacy of the carceral state, and policing in particular, is being challenged on fundamental grounds in the United States, there is high demand in law enforcement for research of this nature, write the group. The circulation of this work by a major publisher like Springer would represent a significant step towards the legitimation and application of repeatedly debunked, socially harmful research in the real world.
In the study in question, titled A Deep Neural Network Model to Predict Criminality Using Image Processing, researchers claimed to have created a facial recognition system that was capable of predicting whether someone is likely going to be a criminal ... with 80 percent accuracy and no racial bias, according to a now-deleted press release. The papers authors included Phd student and former NYPD police officer Jonathan W. Korn.
In response to the open letter, Springer said it would not publish the paper, according to MIT Technology Review. The paper you are referring to was submitted to a forthcoming conference for which Springer had planned to publish the proceedings, said the company. After a thorough peer review process the paper was rejected.
However, as the Coalition for Critical Technology makes clear, this incident is only one example in a wider trend within data science and machine learning, where researchers use socially-contingent data to try and predict or classify complex human behavior.
In one notable example from 2016, researchers from Shanghai Jiao Tong University claimed to have created an algorithm that could also predict criminality from facial features. The study was criticized and refuted, with researchers from Google and Princeton publishing a lengthy rebuttal warning that AI researchers were revisiting the pseudoscience of physiognomy. This was a discipline was founded in the 19th century by Cesare Lombroso, who claimed he could identify born criminals by measuring the dimensions of their faces.
When put into practice, the pseudoscience of physiognomy becomes the pseudoscience of scientific racism, wrote the researchers. Rapid developments in artificial intelligence and machine learning have enabled scientific racism to enter a new era, in which machine-learned models embed biases present in the human behavior used for model development.
The 2016 paper also demonstrated how easy it is for AI practitioners to fool themselves into thinking theyve found an objective system of measuring criminality. The researchers from Google and Princeton noted that, based on the data shared in the paper, all the non-criminals appeared to be smiling and wearing collared shirts and suits, while none of the (frowning) criminals were. Its possible this simple and misleading visual tell was guiding the algorithms supposed sophisticated analysis.
The Coalition for Critical Technologys letter comes at a time when movements around the world are highlighting issues of racial justice, triggered by the killing of George Floyd by law enforcement. These protests have also seen major tech companies pull back on their use of facial recognition systems, which research by Black academics has shown is racially biased.
The letters authors and signatories call on the AI community to reconsider how it evaluates the goodness of its work thinking not just about metrics like accuracy and precision, but about the social affect such technology can have on the world. If machine learning is to bring about the social good touted in grant proposals and press releases, researchers in this space must actively reflect on the power structures (and the attendant oppressions) that make their work possible, write the authors.
Read more from the original source:
AI experts say research into algorithms that claim to predict criminality must end - The Verge
- Machine Learning Answers: Facebook Stock Is Down 20% In A Month, What Are The Chances It'll Rebound? - Trefis - September 22nd, 2020
- Machine Learning in Education Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Proximity matters: Using machine learning and geospatial analytics to reduce COVID-19 exposure risk - Healthcare IT News - September 22nd, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Market Tends To Show Steady Growth Post Pandemic With Regional Overview and Top Key Players - Verdant News - September 22nd, 2020
- PREDICTING THE OPTIMUM PATH - Port Strategy - September 22nd, 2020
- AI/ML Remains The Most In-Demand Tech Skill Post COVID - Analytics India Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Panalgo Brings the Power of Machine-Learning to the Healthcare Industry Via Its IHD Software - AiThority - September 15th, 2020
- Microchip Partners with Machine-Learning (ML) Software Leaders to Simplify AI-at-the-Edge Design Using its 32-Bit Microcontrollers (MCUs) - EE Journal - September 15th, 2020
- What is 'custom machine learning' and why is it important for programmatic optimisation? - The Drum - September 15th, 2020
- PODCAST: NVIDIA's Director of Data Science Talks Machine Learning for Airlines and Aerospace - Aviation Today - September 15th, 2020
- The Use of Machine Learning to Forecast Progression to Advanced AMD - DocWire News - September 15th, 2020
- How Can Machine Learning Help the Teaching Profession? - FE News - September 15th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning in Automobile Market: Development History, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2024 - The Market Correspondent - September 15th, 2020
- Using machine learning to organize the chemical diversity - Tech Explorist - September 15th, 2020
- Dashboard AI Announces Its Technology Vision for the Foodservice and Hospitality Industry - PRNewswire - September 15th, 2020
- Alfa Releases Second Paper on AI, Using Machine Learning in the Wild - Monitor Daily - September 10th, 2020
- Combatting COVID-19 misinformation with machine learning (VB Live) - VentureBeat - September 10th, 2020
- This artist used machine learning to create realistic portraits of Roman emperors - The World - September 10th, 2020
- Domino Data Lab Named a Leader in Notebook-Based Predictive Analytics and Machine Learning Evaluation by Global Research Firm - Business Wire - September 10th, 2020
- Demonstration Of What-If Tool For Machine Learning Model Investigation - Analytics India Magazine - September 10th, 2020
- RXA to Participate in 2nd Annual A2.AI Conference focused on Machine Learning & Applied AI - PR Web - September 10th, 2020
- 50 Data Science and Analysts Jobs That Opened Just Last Week - Analytics India Magazine - September 10th, 2020
- FSS Launches Next Gen Recon with Machine Learning and Cloud Support - TechGenyz - September 10th, 2020
- Getting to the heart of machine learning and complex humans - The Irish Times - August 28th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Courses Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026 - The Scarlet - August 28th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Network Fetch.ai Partners Open-Source Blockchain Protocol Waves to Conduct R&D on DLT - Crowdfund Insider - August 28th, 2020
- UT Austin Selected as Home of National AI Institute Focused on Machine Learning - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - August 26th, 2020
- Participation-washing could be the next dangerous fad in machine learning - MIT Technology Review - August 26th, 2020
- The Role of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in the... - Insurance CIO Outlook - August 26th, 2020
- Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market Size and Growth By Leading Vendors, By Types and Application, By End Users and Forecast to 2020-2027 -... - August 26th, 2020
- Air Force Taps Machine Learning to Speed Up Flight Certifications - Nextgov - August 26th, 2020
- What is AutoML and Why Should Your Business Consider It - BizTech Magazine - August 26th, 2020
- Chatbots Are Machine Learning Their Way To Human Language - Forbes - August 26th, 2020
- Explainable AI: From the peak of inflated expectations to the pitfalls of interpreting machine learning models - ZDNet - August 26th, 2020
- Focusing on ethical AI in business and government - FierceElectronics - August 26th, 2020
- Amazon's Machine Learning University To Make Its Online Courses Available To The Public - Analytics India Magazine - August 14th, 2020
- Watch 3 Videos from Coursera's New "Machine Learning for Everyone" - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The... - August 14th, 2020
- PhD Research Fellowship in Machine Learning for Cognitive Power Management job with NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU | 219138 -... - August 14th, 2020
- Machine learning is pivotal to every line of business, every organisation must have an ML strategy - BusinessLine - August 14th, 2020
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Anyscale Hosts Inaugural Ray Summit on Scalable Python and Scalable Machine Learning - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2020
- Why GPT-3 Heralds a Democratic Revolution in Tech - Built In - August 14th, 2020
- BMW, Red Hat, and Malong Share Insights on AI and Machine Learning During Transform 2020 - ENGINEERING.com - August 14th, 2020
- Algorithm created by deep learning finds potential therapeutic targets throughout the human genome - National Science Foundation - August 14th, 2020
- Ensighten Launches Client-Side Threat Intelligence Initiative and Invests in Machine Learning - WFMZ Allentown - August 6th, 2020
- Hey software developers, youre approaching machine learning the wrong way - The Next Web - August 6th, 2020
- Introducing The AI & Machine Learning Imperative - MIT Sloan - August 6th, 2020
- Who Does the Machine Learning and Data Science Work? - Customer Think - August 6th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Path to Intelligent Automation - Embedded Computing Design - August 6th, 2020
- Blacklight Solutions Unveils Software to Simplify Business Analytics with AI and Machine Learning - PRNewswire - August 6th, 2020
- AI is learning when it should and shouldnt defer to a human - MIT Technology Review - August 6th, 2020
- Moderna Announced Partnership With Amazon Web Services for Their Analytics and Machine Learning Services - Science Times - August 6th, 2020
- Surprisingly Recent Galaxy Discovered Using Machine Learning May Be the Last Generation Galaxy in the Long Cosmic History - SciTechDaily - August 6th, 2020
- STMicroelectronics Releases STM32 Condition-Monitoring Function Pack Leveraging Tools from Cartesiam for Simplified Machine Learning - ELE Times - August 6th, 2020
- Machine Learning Reveals What Makes People Happy In A Relationship - Forbes - August 4th, 2020
- Benefits Of AI And Machine Learning | Expert Panel | Security News - SecurityInformed - August 4th, 2020
- Preparing new machine learning models used to take weeks Activeloop teams up with NVIDIA to reduce that time to hours - MENAFN.COM - August 4th, 2020
- IoT automation trend rides the next wave of machine learning, Big Data - Urgent Communications - August 4th, 2020
- Decoding Practical Problems and Business Implications of Machine Learning - Analytics Insight - August 4th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Industry 2020 Market Manufacturers Analysis, Share, Size, Growth, Trends and Research Report 2026 -... - August 4th, 2020
- Could this software help users trust machine learning decisions? - C4ISRNet - July 27th, 2020
- Top Five Data Privacy Issues that Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Startups Need to Know - insideBIGDATA - July 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Machine Learning Market will Accelerate at a CAGR of about 39% through 2020-2024 | The Increasing Adoption of Cloud-based Offerings... - July 27th, 2020
- Deep learning's role in the evolution of machine learning - TechTarget - July 1st, 2020
- 2 books to deepen your command of python machine learning - TechTalks - July 1st, 2020
- What I Learned From Looking at 200 Machine Learning Tools - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The Predictive... - July 1st, 2020
- Protecting inventions which use Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence - Lexology - July 1st, 2020
- Machine learning finds use in creating sharper maps of 'ecosystem' lines in the ocean - Firstpost - July 1st, 2020
- Fake data is great data when it comes to machine learning - Stacey on IoT - July 1st, 2020
- Decisions and NLP Logix Announce Partnership to bring the Power of Machine Learning to Business Process Management - Benzinga - July 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning in Medical Imaging Market Strategies and Insight Driven Transformation 2020-2030 - Cole of Duty - July 1st, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Market to Witness AIBrain, Amazon, Anki, CloudMinds - Cole of Duty - July 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning Market Projected to Register 43.5% CAGR to 2030 Intel, H2Oai - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- Learn the business value of AI's various techniques - TechTarget - July 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning As A Service In Manufacturing Market Augmented Expansion to Be Registered by 2018-2023 - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- COVID 19 Impact on Machine Learning in Medicine Market Outlook 2020 Industry Size, Top Key Manufacturers, Growth Insights, Demand Analysis and... - July 1st, 2020
- Machine learning algorithm from RaySearch enhances workflow at Swedish radiation therapy clinic - DOTmed HealthCare Business News - July 1st, 2020
- What a machine learning tool that turns Obama white can (and cant) tell us about AI bias - The Verge - June 25th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Are Changing Everything. Here's How You Can Get In On The Fun - ExtremeTech - June 25th, 2020
- SLAM + Machine Learning Ushers in the "Age of Perception - Robotics Business Review - June 25th, 2020
- Googles new ML Kit SDK keeps all machine learning on the device - SlashGear - June 25th, 2020