Even as COVID-19 has slowed business investments worldwide, AI/ML spending is increasing. In a post for IDN, dotDatas CEO Ryohei Fujimaki, Ph.D, looks at the latest trends in AI/ML automation and how they will speed adoption across industries.
COVID-19 has impacted businesses across the globe, from closures to supply chain interruptions to resource scarcity. As businesses adjust to the new normal, many are looking to do more with less and find ways to optimize their current business investments.
In this resource-constrained environment, many types of business investments have slowed dramatically. That said, investments in AI and machine learning are accelerated, according to a recentAdweek survey.
Adweek found two-thirds of business executives say COVID-19 has not slowed AI projects. In fact, some 40% of respondents told Adweek that the pandemic has accelerated their AI/ML efforts. Reasons for the sustained and growing interest in AI/ML include decreasing costs, improving performance, and increasing efficiencies-all efforts to make up for time and output lost during the COVID-19 slowdown.
Despite the rosy outlook for AI/ML investments, it bears mentioning that businesses also admit they still struggle to scale these technologies beyond PoCs (proof of concepts). This is due to an ongoing talent shortage in the data science field a shortage that COVID has made even more acute.
Data science is an interdisciplinary approach that requires cross-domain expertise, including mathematics, statistics, data engineering, software engineering, and subject matter expertise.
The shortage of data scientists as well as data architects, machine learning engineers skilled in building, testing, and deploying ML models has created a big challenge for businesses implementing AI and ML initiatives, limiting the scale of data science projects and slowing time to production. The scarcity of data scientists has also created a quandary for organizations: how can they change the way they do data science, empowering the teams they already have?
The democratization of data science is very important and a current industry trend, but true democratization has never been easy for organizations. Analytics and data science leaders lament their team's ability to only manage a few projects per year. BI leaders, on the other hand, have been trying to embed predictive analytics in their dashboards but face the daunting task of learning how to build AI/ML models. What can organizations do, what tactics will help them to scale AI initiatives and bridge the gap between what is required and what's available?
Democratization of data science in a true sense is to empower teams with advanced analytical tools and automation technologies.
These tools can significantly simplify tasks that formerly could only be completed by data scientists. They are empowering business analysts, BI developers and data engineers to execute AI and machine learning projects. Further, they accelerate data science processes with very little training.
Notable among these offerings are:
This class of automation tools removes much of the time and expense to design and deploy AI-powered analytics pipelines and do so little cost and without high-priced technical staff.
Today, s typical data team is interdisciplinary and consists of data engineers, data analysts and data scientists. The data analyst and engineer are responsible for cleaning, formatting and preparing data for the data scientist who then uses analytics-ready data to build features and then build ML models using a trial and error approach.
Data science processes are complicated, highly manual, and iterative in nature. Depending on the maturity of the data pipelines, a data science project can take from 30 to 90 days to complete with nearly 80% of the effort spent on AI-focused data preparation and Feature Engineering.
Further, the AI-focused data preparation process requires an impressive amount of hacking skills from developers, data scientists and data engineers to clean, manipulate and transform the data to enable data scientists to execute feature engineering.
That said, the landscaping is changing. Tools are now surfacing to deliver AI automation to pre-process data, connect to data and automatically build features and ML models. These results eliminate the need for having a large team and doing it efficiently at the greatest possible speed.
In addition, feature engineering automation has vast potential to change the traditional data science process. Feature engineering involves the application of business knowledge, math, and statistics to transform data into a format that can be directly consumed by machine learning models.
It also can significantly lower skill barriers beyond ML automation alone, eliminating hundreds or even thousands of manually-crafted SQL queries, and ramps up the speed of the data science project even without a full light of domain knowledge).
Organizations with large data science teams will also find automation platforms very valuable. They free up highly-skilled resources from many of the manual and time-consuming efforts involved in data science and machine learning workflow and allow them to focus on more complex and challenging strategic tasks.
The trend is definitely to leverage automation technologies to speed-up the ML development process. By using AI automation technologies, BI and junior data scientist can automatically build models. This frees up time for experienced data scientists who take on more challenging business problems. While everyone seemed to focus on building automated ML models, the industry is definitely moving towards automating the entire AI/ML workflow.
This empowers data scientists to achieve higher productivity and drive greater business impact than ever before.
Another important tactic for bridging the skills gap in data science is ongoing skills training for the AI, data science and business intelligence teams.
Rather than hiring outside talent from an already shallow talent pool, companies are often better off investing time and resources in data-science training of their existing talent pool. These citizen data scientists can bridge the skill gap, address the labor shortage and enable companies to leverage the existing resources they already have.
There are many advantages to this approach.
Theidea is to build a team from inside the company versus hiring experts from outside. Any transformation is only going to succeed, provided it is embraced by the vast majority. Creating internal AI teams, empowering citizen data scientists and scaling pilot programs focused on AI is the right approach.
One of the most important of which is building data science skills across multiple teams to support data science's democratization across the organization. This strategy can be implemented by first identifying employees with existing programming, analytical and quantitative skills and then augmenting those skills with the required data science skills and tools training. Experienced data scientists can play the role of an evangelizer to share data science best practices and guide the citizen data scientists through the process.
AI and ML-driven innovation becomes indispensable as more enterprises transform themselves into data-driven organizations. Building a strong analytics team, while challenging in todays resource-scarce environment, is attainable by using appropriate automation tools. The benefits of this approach include:
These factors can not only help fill the skills gap but will help accelerate both data science and business innovation, delivering greater and broader business impact.
- First lecture in new speaker series focuses on AI and machine learning - YSU.edu - May 1st, 2021
- Machine learning security vulnerabilities are a growing threat to the web, report highlights - The Daily Swig - May 1st, 2021
- Can machine learning help save the whales? How PNW researchers use tech tools to monitor orcas - GeekWire - May 1st, 2021
- Attabotics Partners With AltaML and Amii to Bolster Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Cap - DC Velocity - May 1st, 2021
- How beverage industry is affected by machine learning & AI | FNB News - fnbnews.com - May 1st, 2021
- Insights and Prediction of Machine Learning in Medical Imaging Global Market (2020-2027) KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - May 1st, 2021
- 3 Applications of Machine Learning and AI in Finance - TAPinto.net - May 1st, 2021
- Latest innovative report on Machine Learning in Medicine Market by 2028| Industry Supply Chain Analysis, Growth Opportunities, and Business... - May 1st, 2021
- A Guide To Machine Learning: Everything You Need To Know - Analytics Insight - April 19th, 2021
- Emerging AI and Machine Learning Trends to Watch in 2021 - FlaglerLive.com - April 19th, 2021
- Smart condition monitoring with IIoT sensors and machine learning - eeNews Europe - April 19th, 2021
- Twitter analysing harmful impacts of its AI, machine learning algorithms - Business Standard - April 19th, 2021
- Twitter Outlines Evolving Approach to Algorithms as Part of New 'Responsible Machine Learning Initiative' - Social Media Today - April 19th, 2021
- Solving the basic problems of machine learning - Federal News Network - April 19th, 2021
- Optimize manufacturing with AI, machine learning and digitalization - The Manufacturer - April 9th, 2021
- How machine learning can revolutionize the quality of hearing - TechHQ - April 9th, 2021
- Savills, MRI Software Announce Expanded Partnership to Accelerate AI and Machine Learning Capabilities for Knowledge Cubed - KPVI News 6 - April 9th, 2021
- PODCAST: rise of the machine (learning) - BlueNotes - April 9th, 2021
- 27 million galaxy morphologies quantified and cataloged with the help of machine learning | Penn Today - Penn Today - April 9th, 2021
- Rackspace Technology Works with Brave Software to Improve Machine Learning Functionality in the Web Browser - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2021
- i.MX 8M plus eval kit with machine learning and voice and vision capabilities - Electropages - April 9th, 2021
- Machine Learning in Healthcare Market: Find Out Essential Strategies to expand The Business and Also Check Working in 2021-2029 KSU | The Sentinel... - April 9th, 2021
- The Top 20 Machine Learning Startups To Watch In 2021 - Enterprise Irregulars - April 8th, 2021
- Weaviate is an open-source search engine powered by ML, vectors, graphs, and GraphQL - ZDNet - April 8th, 2021
- Seeking the cellular mechanisms of disease, with help from machine learning - MIT News - April 8th, 2021
- PODCAST: rise of the machine (learning) - BlueNotes - BlueNotes - April 8th, 2021
- Machine Learning in Automotive Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis ... - April 8th, 2021
- Using "eyes in the sky" and AI to remotely rate insurance risks - Axios - April 8th, 2021
- Pear Therapeutics Expands Platform with Digital Biomarkers, Machine Learning Algorithms and Sensor-Based Technologies - Yahoo Finance - April 8th, 2021
- 5 industries that will see a staggering adoption of Machine Learning in 2021 - Express Computer - April 8th, 2021
- Sift to Host Live Virtual Event Featuring Gartner Analysts on Machine Learning-powered Fraud Detection, Creating Trust and Safety on the Internet -... - April 8th, 2021
- TigerGraph's Graph + AI Summit 2021 to Feature 40+ Sessions, Live Workshops and Speakers from JPMorgan Chase, NewDay, Pinterest, Jaguar Land Rover and... - April 8th, 2021
- AI and Machine Learning Operationalization Software Market to Witness Stellar CA - Business-newsupdate.com - April 8th, 2021
- Apple Reveals a Multi-Mode Planar Engine for a Neural Processor that could be used in A-Series & screamingly fast M1 Processors - Patently Apple - April 8th, 2021
- Foundations of Machine Learning | The MIT Press - April 2nd, 2021
- Increasing the Accessibility of Machine Learning at the Edge - Industry Articles - All About Circuits - April 2nd, 2021
- Splunk : Life as a PM on the Splunk Machine Learning Team - Marketscreener.com - April 2nd, 2021
- Is Machine Learning The Future Of Coffee Health Research? - Sprudge - April 2nd, 2021
- Machine learning tool sets out to find new antimicrobial peptides - Chemistry World - April 2nd, 2021
- Machine learning methods to predict mechanical ventilation and mortality in patients with COVID-19 - DocWire News - April 2nd, 2021
- CW Innovation Awards: Jio Platforms taps machine learning to manage telco network - ComputerWeekly.com - April 2nd, 2021
- Global Machine Learning-as-a-Service (MLaaS) Market Development Strategy, Manufacturers Analysis, COVID-19 impact, and Forecast 2020-2025 The Bisouv... - April 2nd, 2021
- inSearchX Partners with Strategic Vision's Using Machine Learning to Help Customers Find their Ideal Car With Uncanny Accuracy - Business Wire - April 2nd, 2021
- Machine Learning Operationalization Software Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top... - April 2nd, 2021
- 20 Best Machine Learning Books for Beginner & Experts in 2021 - March 18th, 2021
- Machine Learning Engineer vs. Data Scientist | Springboard ... - March 18th, 2021
- Transformer (machine learning model) - Wikipedia - March 18th, 2021
- OctoML raises $28M Series B for its machine learning ... - March 18th, 2021
- What Is Machine Learning? - Blog - I School Online - March 18th, 2021
- In-Depth Guide to Machine Learning in the Enterprise - March 18th, 2021
- How to become a machine learning engineer: A cheat sheet ... - March 18th, 2021
- Machine Learning | The MIT Press - March 18th, 2021
- Creating Machine Learning models in Power BI | Microsoft ... - March 18th, 2021
- Overcoming the Challenges Associated with Machine Learning and AI Strategies - EnterpriseTalk - March 18th, 2021
- Machine Learning Algorithms | Machine Learning | Intellipaat - March 18th, 2021
- Professor of Artificial intelligence and Machine Learning job with UNIVERSITY OF EAST LONDON | 249199 - Times Higher Education (THE) - March 18th, 2021
- Dascena Announces Publication of Results From Its Machine Learning Algorithm for Prediction of Acute Kidney Injury in Kidney International Reports -... - March 18th, 2021
- Machine learning calculates affinities of drug candidates and targets - Drug Target Review - March 18th, 2021
- What is Machine Learning? | IBM - March 8th, 2021
- Next Raspberry Pi CPU Will Have Machine Learning Built In - Tom's Hardware - March 8th, 2021
- Introducing Helios, The New Corrugated AI/Machine Learning Platform - WhatTheyThink - March 8th, 2021
- SSM Health innovates kidney care with predictive analytics and machine learning - Healthcare IT News - March 6th, 2021
- Revolution by Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Deep Learning in the healthcare industry - Times Now - March 6th, 2021
- Explainable Machine Learning, Model Transparency, and the Right to Explanation Machine Learning Times - The Predictive Analytics Times - March 6th, 2021
- Raytheon Applies AI, Machine Learning to Defense Tech Modeling, Simulation - Executive Mosaic Media - March 6th, 2021
- Home Lending Pal leverages AI and machine learning to efficiently solve lenders' and borrowers' problems - HousingWire - March 6th, 2021
- Companion Raises $8M Seed Round to Use Machine Learning and Computer Vision to Talk to Dogs - PRNewswire - March 6th, 2021
- March 2021 Machine Learning Times - The Predictive Analytics Times - March 6th, 2021
- An Epic cognitive computing platform primer - Healthcare IT News - February 26th, 2021
- D2iQ Introduces Cloud Native Platform to Accelerate the Deployment of Machine Learning on Kubernetes - PRNewswire - February 26th, 2021
- Machine Learning Engineers Are In High Demand. So, What Do They Do? - Analytics Insight - February 26th, 2021
- Updated Report of Machine Learning Software Market with Current Trends, Drivers, Strategies, Applications and Competitive Landscape 2026 The Bisouv... - February 26th, 2021
- The Machine Learning and Big Data in Risk Evaluation PhD Scholarship - News - The University of Sydney - February 26th, 2021
- Ontario Systems Acquires Pairity to Embed the Power of Machine Learning in Its Industry-Leading Collections Technology - PRNewswire - February 26th, 2021
- Global Machine Learning Market Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) by Component, Service, Deployment Model, Organization Size, Vertical, and... - February 26th, 2021
- Is machine learning about to replace traditional coaching? TrainerRoad announces Adaptive Training - BikeRadar.com - February 26th, 2021
- Mental health diagnoses and the role of machine learning - Health Europa - February 14th, 2021
- There Is No Silver Bullet Machine Learning Solution - Analytics India Magazine - February 14th, 2021
- Scientists use machine learning to tackle a big challenge in gene therapy - STAT - February 12th, 2021
- Getting Help from HAL: Applying Machine Learning to Predict Antibiotic Resistance - Contagionlive.com - February 12th, 2021