Moveworks founding team from left to right Vaibhav Nivargi, CTO; Bhavin Shah, CEO; Varun Singh, VP ... [+] of Product; Jiang Chen, VP of Machine Learning.
Computers and humans have never spoken the same language. Over and above speech recognition, we also need computers to understand the semantics of written human language. We need this capability because we are building the Artificial Intelligence (AI)-powered chatbots that now form the intelligence layers in Robot Process Automation (RPA) systems and beyond.
Known formally as Natural Language Understanding (NLU), early attempts (as recently as the 1980s) to give computers the ability to interpret human text were comically terrible. This was a huge frustration to both the developers attempting to make these systems work and the users exposed to these systems.
Computers are brilliant at long division, but really bad at knowing the difference between whether humans are referring to football divisions, parliamentary division lobbies or indeed long division for mathematics. This is because mathematics is formulaic, universal and unchanging, but human language is ambiguous, contextual and dynamic.
As a result, comprehending a typical sentence requires the unprogrammable quality of common sense or so we thought.
But in just the last few years, software developers in the field of Natural Language Understanding (NLU) have made several decades worth of progress in overcoming that obstacle, reducing the language barrier between people and AI by solving semantics with mathematics.
Such progress has stemmed in no small part from giant leaps forward in NLU models, including the landmark BERT framework and offshoots like DistilBERT, RoBERTa and ALBERT. Powered by hundreds of these models, modern NLU software is able to deconstruct complex sentences to distill their essential meaning, said Vaibhav Nivargi, CTO and co-founder of Moveworks.
Moveworks software combines AI with Natural Language Processing (NLP) to understand and interpret user requests, challenges and problems before then using a further degree of AI to help deliver the appropriate actions to satisfy the users needs.
Nivargi explains that crucially here we can also now build chatbots that use Machine Learning (ML) to go a step further: autonomously addressing users requests and troubleshooting questions written in natural language. So not only can AI now communicate with employees on their terms, it can even automate many of the routine tasks that make work feel like work - thanks to this newfound capacity for reading comprehension.
Nivargi provides an illustrative example of an IT support request, which we can break down and analyze. Bhavin is a new company employee and a user is asking the chatbot how he can be added to the organizations marketing group to access its information pool and data. The request is as follows (graphic shown below at end):
Howdo [sic] I add Bhavin to the marketing group.
In large part due to the typing/spelling mistake at the start (instead of how do, the user has typed howdo) we have an immediate problem. As recently as two years ago, there was not a single application in the world capable of understanding (and then resolving) the infinite variety of similar requests to this that employees pose to their IT teams.
Of course, we could program an application to trigger the right automated workflow when it receives this exact request. But needless to say, that approach doesnt scale at all. Hard problems demand hard solutions. So here, any solution worth its salt must tackle the fundamental challenges of natural language, which is ambiguous, contextual and dynamic, said Nivargi.
A single word can have many possible meanings; for instance, the word run has about 645 different definitions. Add in the inevitable human error like the typo in this request of the phrase how do and we can see that breaking down a single sentence becomes quite daunting, quite quickly. MoveworksNivargi explains that the initial step, therefore, is to use machine learning to identify syntactic structures that can help us rectify spelling or grammatical errors.
But, he says, to disambiguate what the employee wants, we also need to consider the context surrounding their request, including that employees department, location and role, as well as other relevant entities. A key technique in doing so is meta learning, which entails analyzing so-called metadata (information about information).
By probabilistically weighing the fact that Alex (another employee) and Bhavin are located in North America, Machine Learning models can fuzzy select the firstname.lastname@example.org email group, without Alex having to have specified his or her exact name. In this way, we can potentially get Alexs help and get him/her involved in the workflow at hand, said Nivargi.
As TechTarget explains here, Fuzzy logic is an approach to computing based on degrees of truth rather than the usual "true or false" (1 or 0) Boolean logic on which the modern computer is based.
Human service desk agents already factor in context by drawing on their experience, so the secret for an AI chatbot is to mimic this intuition with mathematical models.
Finally lets remember that language in particular the language used in the enterprise is dynamic. New words and expressions arise every month, while the IT systems and applications at a given company shift even more often. To deal with so much change, an effective chatbot must be rooted in advanced Machine Learning, since it needs to constantly retrain itself based on real-time information.
Despite the complexity under the hood, however, the number one criteria for a successful chatbot is a seamless user experience. Nivargi says that what his firm has learned when developing NLU technologies is that all employees care about is getting their requests resolved, instantly, via natural conversations on a messaging tool.
As we stand at the turn of the decade, we humans are arguably still not 100% comfortable with chatbot interactions. Theyre still too automated, too often non-intuitive and (perhaps unsurprisingly) too to machine-like. Technologies like these show that we've started to build chatbots with semantic intuitive intelligence, but there is still work to do. When we get to a point where technology can navigate the peculiarities and idiosyncrasies of human language.... then, just then, we may start to enjoy talking to robots.
Addressing requests written in natural language requires the combination of hundreds of machine ... [+] learning models. In this case, the Moveworks chatbot determines that Alex wants to add Bhavin to the email group for marketing.
Read the original:
Chatbots Are Machine Learning Their Way To Human Language - Forbes
- Machine Learning Answers: Facebook Stock Is Down 20% In A Month, What Are The Chances It'll Rebound? - Trefis - September 22nd, 2020
- Machine Learning in Education Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Proximity matters: Using machine learning and geospatial analytics to reduce COVID-19 exposure risk - Healthcare IT News - September 22nd, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Market Tends To Show Steady Growth Post Pandemic With Regional Overview and Top Key Players - Verdant News - September 22nd, 2020
- PREDICTING THE OPTIMUM PATH - Port Strategy - September 22nd, 2020
- AI/ML Remains The Most In-Demand Tech Skill Post COVID - Analytics India Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Panalgo Brings the Power of Machine-Learning to the Healthcare Industry Via Its IHD Software - AiThority - September 15th, 2020
- Microchip Partners with Machine-Learning (ML) Software Leaders to Simplify AI-at-the-Edge Design Using its 32-Bit Microcontrollers (MCUs) - EE Journal - September 15th, 2020
- What is 'custom machine learning' and why is it important for programmatic optimisation? - The Drum - September 15th, 2020
- PODCAST: NVIDIA's Director of Data Science Talks Machine Learning for Airlines and Aerospace - Aviation Today - September 15th, 2020
- The Use of Machine Learning to Forecast Progression to Advanced AMD - DocWire News - September 15th, 2020
- How Can Machine Learning Help the Teaching Profession? - FE News - September 15th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning in Automobile Market: Development History, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2024 - The Market Correspondent - September 15th, 2020
- Using machine learning to organize the chemical diversity - Tech Explorist - September 15th, 2020
- Dashboard AI Announces Its Technology Vision for the Foodservice and Hospitality Industry - PRNewswire - September 15th, 2020
- Alfa Releases Second Paper on AI, Using Machine Learning in the Wild - Monitor Daily - September 10th, 2020
- Combatting COVID-19 misinformation with machine learning (VB Live) - VentureBeat - September 10th, 2020
- This artist used machine learning to create realistic portraits of Roman emperors - The World - September 10th, 2020
- Domino Data Lab Named a Leader in Notebook-Based Predictive Analytics and Machine Learning Evaluation by Global Research Firm - Business Wire - September 10th, 2020
- Demonstration Of What-If Tool For Machine Learning Model Investigation - Analytics India Magazine - September 10th, 2020
- RXA to Participate in 2nd Annual A2.AI Conference focused on Machine Learning & Applied AI - PR Web - September 10th, 2020
- 50 Data Science and Analysts Jobs That Opened Just Last Week - Analytics India Magazine - September 10th, 2020
- FSS Launches Next Gen Recon with Machine Learning and Cloud Support - TechGenyz - September 10th, 2020
- Getting to the heart of machine learning and complex humans - The Irish Times - August 28th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Courses Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026 - The Scarlet - August 28th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Network Fetch.ai Partners Open-Source Blockchain Protocol Waves to Conduct R&D on DLT - Crowdfund Insider - August 28th, 2020
- UT Austin Selected as Home of National AI Institute Focused on Machine Learning - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - August 26th, 2020
- Participation-washing could be the next dangerous fad in machine learning - MIT Technology Review - August 26th, 2020
- The Role of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in the... - Insurance CIO Outlook - August 26th, 2020
- Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market Size and Growth By Leading Vendors, By Types and Application, By End Users and Forecast to 2020-2027 -... - August 26th, 2020
- Air Force Taps Machine Learning to Speed Up Flight Certifications - Nextgov - August 26th, 2020
- What is AutoML and Why Should Your Business Consider It - BizTech Magazine - August 26th, 2020
- Explainable AI: From the peak of inflated expectations to the pitfalls of interpreting machine learning models - ZDNet - August 26th, 2020
- Focusing on ethical AI in business and government - FierceElectronics - August 26th, 2020
- Amazon's Machine Learning University To Make Its Online Courses Available To The Public - Analytics India Magazine - August 14th, 2020
- Watch 3 Videos from Coursera's New "Machine Learning for Everyone" - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The... - August 14th, 2020
- PhD Research Fellowship in Machine Learning for Cognitive Power Management job with NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU | 219138 -... - August 14th, 2020
- Machine learning is pivotal to every line of business, every organisation must have an ML strategy - BusinessLine - August 14th, 2020
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Anyscale Hosts Inaugural Ray Summit on Scalable Python and Scalable Machine Learning - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2020
- Why GPT-3 Heralds a Democratic Revolution in Tech - Built In - August 14th, 2020
- BMW, Red Hat, and Malong Share Insights on AI and Machine Learning During Transform 2020 - ENGINEERING.com - August 14th, 2020
- Algorithm created by deep learning finds potential therapeutic targets throughout the human genome - National Science Foundation - August 14th, 2020
- Ensighten Launches Client-Side Threat Intelligence Initiative and Invests in Machine Learning - WFMZ Allentown - August 6th, 2020
- Hey software developers, youre approaching machine learning the wrong way - The Next Web - August 6th, 2020
- Introducing The AI & Machine Learning Imperative - MIT Sloan - August 6th, 2020
- Who Does the Machine Learning and Data Science Work? - Customer Think - August 6th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Path to Intelligent Automation - Embedded Computing Design - August 6th, 2020
- Blacklight Solutions Unveils Software to Simplify Business Analytics with AI and Machine Learning - PRNewswire - August 6th, 2020
- AI is learning when it should and shouldnt defer to a human - MIT Technology Review - August 6th, 2020
- Moderna Announced Partnership With Amazon Web Services for Their Analytics and Machine Learning Services - Science Times - August 6th, 2020
- Surprisingly Recent Galaxy Discovered Using Machine Learning May Be the Last Generation Galaxy in the Long Cosmic History - SciTechDaily - August 6th, 2020
- STMicroelectronics Releases STM32 Condition-Monitoring Function Pack Leveraging Tools from Cartesiam for Simplified Machine Learning - ELE Times - August 6th, 2020
- Machine Learning Reveals What Makes People Happy In A Relationship - Forbes - August 4th, 2020
- Benefits Of AI And Machine Learning | Expert Panel | Security News - SecurityInformed - August 4th, 2020
- Preparing new machine learning models used to take weeks Activeloop teams up with NVIDIA to reduce that time to hours - MENAFN.COM - August 4th, 2020
- IoT automation trend rides the next wave of machine learning, Big Data - Urgent Communications - August 4th, 2020
- Decoding Practical Problems and Business Implications of Machine Learning - Analytics Insight - August 4th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Industry 2020 Market Manufacturers Analysis, Share, Size, Growth, Trends and Research Report 2026 -... - August 4th, 2020
- Could this software help users trust machine learning decisions? - C4ISRNet - July 27th, 2020
- Top Five Data Privacy Issues that Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Startups Need to Know - insideBIGDATA - July 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Machine Learning Market will Accelerate at a CAGR of about 39% through 2020-2024 | The Increasing Adoption of Cloud-based Offerings... - July 27th, 2020
- Deep learning's role in the evolution of machine learning - TechTarget - July 1st, 2020
- 2 books to deepen your command of python machine learning - TechTalks - July 1st, 2020
- What I Learned From Looking at 200 Machine Learning Tools - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The Predictive... - July 1st, 2020
- Protecting inventions which use Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence - Lexology - July 1st, 2020
- Machine learning finds use in creating sharper maps of 'ecosystem' lines in the ocean - Firstpost - July 1st, 2020
- Fake data is great data when it comes to machine learning - Stacey on IoT - July 1st, 2020
- Decisions and NLP Logix Announce Partnership to bring the Power of Machine Learning to Business Process Management - Benzinga - July 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning in Medical Imaging Market Strategies and Insight Driven Transformation 2020-2030 - Cole of Duty - July 1st, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Market to Witness AIBrain, Amazon, Anki, CloudMinds - Cole of Duty - July 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning Market Projected to Register 43.5% CAGR to 2030 Intel, H2Oai - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- Learn the business value of AI's various techniques - TechTarget - July 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning As A Service In Manufacturing Market Augmented Expansion to Be Registered by 2018-2023 - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- COVID 19 Impact on Machine Learning in Medicine Market Outlook 2020 Industry Size, Top Key Manufacturers, Growth Insights, Demand Analysis and... - July 1st, 2020
- Machine learning algorithm from RaySearch enhances workflow at Swedish radiation therapy clinic - DOTmed HealthCare Business News - July 1st, 2020
- What a machine learning tool that turns Obama white can (and cant) tell us about AI bias - The Verge - June 25th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Are Changing Everything. Here's How You Can Get In On The Fun - ExtremeTech - June 25th, 2020
- SLAM + Machine Learning Ushers in the "Age of Perception - Robotics Business Review - June 25th, 2020
- Googles new ML Kit SDK keeps all machine learning on the device - SlashGear - June 25th, 2020
- Machine Learning vs Predictive Analytics: Are they same? - Analytics Insight - June 25th, 2020