Without an enterprise AI approach, prosecutors see fraud in the federal governments Paycheck Protection Program, they admit there are too many scams to count, let alone stop. Organized crime is scheming to take a growing cut of the emergency spending in the CARES Act. The rules of stimulus programs are constantly changing, making it hard to know who should and shouldnt obtain that financing or how they should spend it.
This sounds like a job for enterprise artificial intelligence, and banks are indeed turning to it for help. But what qualifies as AI in quelling stimulus fraud, and how exactly would it work? It if works at all.
Rules engines slipping under the waves
It is clear that common approaches, often billed as machine learning and sometimes as artificial intelligence, fail to address todays stimulus fraud-fighting needs.
A banks anti-fraud officer has added new rules to their system for flagging activity that looks suspicious, often based on dated government law enforcement data. Theyve introduced party and account level monitoring. They have tuned their system as often as they can. But under the pressures of the massive numbers of stimulus program checks, their alert backlog is increasing, their investigators are fatiguing, and their risk is escalating.
Buried under unmanageable volumes of false positives, risk officers are unable to identify false negatives. These are the worst, the existing bank customer for instance who has always stayed out of the spotlight, but with loosened know your customer rules under the stimulus program, they press their advantage.
Bank officers are also striving to meet the budgetary cost cutting measures imposed on them as their institutions try to keep compliance costs under control. These officers do the only thing they can, attempt to tune their thresholds once again, only to recognize that they can no longer tune their way out of trouble. K-Means clustering, as a safe go-to, does not provide the accuracy or uplift banks officers need.
Starting with basics
Simply put, anti-fraud teams need alerts to be more accurate and false positives rare. It gives investigators valuable context, so they can focus on what matters most, genuinely suspicious behavior.
An augmented anti-fraud process applies intelligence at key lever points to produce significantly more accurate alerts. Its designed in three parts. They are system optimization, emerging behaviors detection, and new entity risk detection. This allows you to take advantage of just what you need, when you need it. That is, you get only what you need to improve the parts of your process that are weakest.
Knowns knowns, unknowns unknowns, and the rest
Optimizing a system is done best by focusing on improving the effectiveness in discovering known knowns. The key is to optimize an existing system with greater segmentation accuracy of all parties and improve the speed, accuracy and effectiveness of your periodic threshold tuning process.
Emerging behavior identification should be focused on unknown knowns and keeping your system relevant. Introduce dynamic, intelligent tuning and visibility to emerging behaviors to your process and retire the periodic projects that are so costly, cumbersome and immediately outdated.
New entity risk detection means discovering net new unknown unknown risks and vulnerabilities previously missed or not thought about. Identify and be alerted to new risks. Not just at a loan level, or account, or customer, but for any context, party or hierarchy and not just for stopping fraud, but for cyber, surveillance, conduct, trafficking, liquidity exposure, credit risk and beyond.
Segmenting for success
The false-positive problem in fraud detection is primarily a function of poor segmentation of the input data. Even sophisticated financial services institutions using machine learning for detecting fraud can suffer from low accuracy and high false negatives. This is because open source machine learning techniques analyze data in large groups and cannot get specific enough to correctly surface genuine suspicious behavior.
A typical segmentation process produces uneven groups, and this means that thresholds must be set artificially low resulting in a significant number of false positives. Smart segmentation is the crucial first step for a system to accurately detect suspicious patterns, without needlessly flagging expected ones. The process falls short when institutions only sort static account information using pre-determined rules.
A good enterprise AI approach should ingest the greatest volume and variety of data available - about customers, counterparties and transactions - and then apply objective machine learning to create the most refined and up-to-date segments possible. Topological data analysis is perhaps one of the best tools for this given its ability to handle multiple variables, but its also not well known, even in the artificial intelligence field.
The crucial point is that enterprise grade anti-fraud AI needs to be able to assign, and reassign parties to segments based on their actual behavior, revealed in their real transactions and true inter-relationships, over time. An intelligent segmentation process should deliver far more granular and uniform groups, resulting in higher thresholds and fewer false positives. In addition, these granular groups should catch false negatives.
The unknown questions that the data and proper enterprise AI can answer will create new opportunities and growth areas, too. High performance enterprise AI cuts the time it takes to produce insights, grows along with datasets, explores automatically and without bias, incorporates new data into older analyses and can actually reduce hardware costs.
Bank clients wont necessarily appreciate these secondary machine learning benefits at first. They are measures that help managers detect and track patterns of fraud, not marketing tools. But they can provide winning insights and defensive alerts that will protect a companys brand, public relations and image.
About the Author
Simon Moss is CEO of Symphony AyasdiAI, an enterprise artificial intelligence company serving financial services and other industries.
See the original post:
Here's Why Enterprise AI Is Being Drafted to Fight Stimulus Fraud - EnterpriseAI
- Machine Learning Answers: Facebook Stock Is Down 20% In A Month, What Are The Chances It'll Rebound? - Trefis - September 22nd, 2020
- Machine Learning in Education Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Proximity matters: Using machine learning and geospatial analytics to reduce COVID-19 exposure risk - Healthcare IT News - September 22nd, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Market Tends To Show Steady Growth Post Pandemic With Regional Overview and Top Key Players - Verdant News - September 22nd, 2020
- PREDICTING THE OPTIMUM PATH - Port Strategy - September 22nd, 2020
- AI/ML Remains The Most In-Demand Tech Skill Post COVID - Analytics India Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Panalgo Brings the Power of Machine-Learning to the Healthcare Industry Via Its IHD Software - AiThority - September 15th, 2020
- Microchip Partners with Machine-Learning (ML) Software Leaders to Simplify AI-at-the-Edge Design Using its 32-Bit Microcontrollers (MCUs) - EE Journal - September 15th, 2020
- What is 'custom machine learning' and why is it important for programmatic optimisation? - The Drum - September 15th, 2020
- PODCAST: NVIDIA's Director of Data Science Talks Machine Learning for Airlines and Aerospace - Aviation Today - September 15th, 2020
- The Use of Machine Learning to Forecast Progression to Advanced AMD - DocWire News - September 15th, 2020
- How Can Machine Learning Help the Teaching Profession? - FE News - September 15th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning in Automobile Market: Development History, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2024 - The Market Correspondent - September 15th, 2020
- Using machine learning to organize the chemical diversity - Tech Explorist - September 15th, 2020
- Dashboard AI Announces Its Technology Vision for the Foodservice and Hospitality Industry - PRNewswire - September 15th, 2020
- Alfa Releases Second Paper on AI, Using Machine Learning in the Wild - Monitor Daily - September 10th, 2020
- Combatting COVID-19 misinformation with machine learning (VB Live) - VentureBeat - September 10th, 2020
- This artist used machine learning to create realistic portraits of Roman emperors - The World - September 10th, 2020
- Domino Data Lab Named a Leader in Notebook-Based Predictive Analytics and Machine Learning Evaluation by Global Research Firm - Business Wire - September 10th, 2020
- Demonstration Of What-If Tool For Machine Learning Model Investigation - Analytics India Magazine - September 10th, 2020
- RXA to Participate in 2nd Annual A2.AI Conference focused on Machine Learning & Applied AI - PR Web - September 10th, 2020
- 50 Data Science and Analysts Jobs That Opened Just Last Week - Analytics India Magazine - September 10th, 2020
- FSS Launches Next Gen Recon with Machine Learning and Cloud Support - TechGenyz - September 10th, 2020
- Getting to the heart of machine learning and complex humans - The Irish Times - August 28th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Courses Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026 - The Scarlet - August 28th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Network Fetch.ai Partners Open-Source Blockchain Protocol Waves to Conduct R&D on DLT - Crowdfund Insider - August 28th, 2020
- UT Austin Selected as Home of National AI Institute Focused on Machine Learning - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - August 26th, 2020
- Participation-washing could be the next dangerous fad in machine learning - MIT Technology Review - August 26th, 2020
- The Role of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in the... - Insurance CIO Outlook - August 26th, 2020
- Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market Size and Growth By Leading Vendors, By Types and Application, By End Users and Forecast to 2020-2027 -... - August 26th, 2020
- Air Force Taps Machine Learning to Speed Up Flight Certifications - Nextgov - August 26th, 2020
- What is AutoML and Why Should Your Business Consider It - BizTech Magazine - August 26th, 2020
- Chatbots Are Machine Learning Their Way To Human Language - Forbes - August 26th, 2020
- Explainable AI: From the peak of inflated expectations to the pitfalls of interpreting machine learning models - ZDNet - August 26th, 2020
- Focusing on ethical AI in business and government - FierceElectronics - August 26th, 2020
- Amazon's Machine Learning University To Make Its Online Courses Available To The Public - Analytics India Magazine - August 14th, 2020
- Watch 3 Videos from Coursera's New "Machine Learning for Everyone" - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The... - August 14th, 2020
- PhD Research Fellowship in Machine Learning for Cognitive Power Management job with NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU | 219138 -... - August 14th, 2020
- Machine learning is pivotal to every line of business, every organisation must have an ML strategy - BusinessLine - August 14th, 2020
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Anyscale Hosts Inaugural Ray Summit on Scalable Python and Scalable Machine Learning - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2020
- Why GPT-3 Heralds a Democratic Revolution in Tech - Built In - August 14th, 2020
- BMW, Red Hat, and Malong Share Insights on AI and Machine Learning During Transform 2020 - ENGINEERING.com - August 14th, 2020
- Algorithm created by deep learning finds potential therapeutic targets throughout the human genome - National Science Foundation - August 14th, 2020
- Ensighten Launches Client-Side Threat Intelligence Initiative and Invests in Machine Learning - WFMZ Allentown - August 6th, 2020
- Hey software developers, youre approaching machine learning the wrong way - The Next Web - August 6th, 2020
- Introducing The AI & Machine Learning Imperative - MIT Sloan - August 6th, 2020
- Who Does the Machine Learning and Data Science Work? - Customer Think - August 6th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Path to Intelligent Automation - Embedded Computing Design - August 6th, 2020
- Blacklight Solutions Unveils Software to Simplify Business Analytics with AI and Machine Learning - PRNewswire - August 6th, 2020
- AI is learning when it should and shouldnt defer to a human - MIT Technology Review - August 6th, 2020
- Moderna Announced Partnership With Amazon Web Services for Their Analytics and Machine Learning Services - Science Times - August 6th, 2020
- Surprisingly Recent Galaxy Discovered Using Machine Learning May Be the Last Generation Galaxy in the Long Cosmic History - SciTechDaily - August 6th, 2020
- STMicroelectronics Releases STM32 Condition-Monitoring Function Pack Leveraging Tools from Cartesiam for Simplified Machine Learning - ELE Times - August 6th, 2020
- Machine Learning Reveals What Makes People Happy In A Relationship - Forbes - August 4th, 2020
- Benefits Of AI And Machine Learning | Expert Panel | Security News - SecurityInformed - August 4th, 2020
- Preparing new machine learning models used to take weeks Activeloop teams up with NVIDIA to reduce that time to hours - MENAFN.COM - August 4th, 2020
- IoT automation trend rides the next wave of machine learning, Big Data - Urgent Communications - August 4th, 2020
- Decoding Practical Problems and Business Implications of Machine Learning - Analytics Insight - August 4th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Industry 2020 Market Manufacturers Analysis, Share, Size, Growth, Trends and Research Report 2026 -... - August 4th, 2020
- Could this software help users trust machine learning decisions? - C4ISRNet - July 27th, 2020
- Top Five Data Privacy Issues that Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Startups Need to Know - insideBIGDATA - July 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Machine Learning Market will Accelerate at a CAGR of about 39% through 2020-2024 | The Increasing Adoption of Cloud-based Offerings... - July 27th, 2020
- Deep learning's role in the evolution of machine learning - TechTarget - July 1st, 2020
- 2 books to deepen your command of python machine learning - TechTalks - July 1st, 2020
- What I Learned From Looking at 200 Machine Learning Tools - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The Predictive... - July 1st, 2020
- Protecting inventions which use Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence - Lexology - July 1st, 2020
- Machine learning finds use in creating sharper maps of 'ecosystem' lines in the ocean - Firstpost - July 1st, 2020
- Fake data is great data when it comes to machine learning - Stacey on IoT - July 1st, 2020
- Decisions and NLP Logix Announce Partnership to bring the Power of Machine Learning to Business Process Management - Benzinga - July 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning in Medical Imaging Market Strategies and Insight Driven Transformation 2020-2030 - Cole of Duty - July 1st, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Market to Witness AIBrain, Amazon, Anki, CloudMinds - Cole of Duty - July 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning Market Projected to Register 43.5% CAGR to 2030 Intel, H2Oai - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- Learn the business value of AI's various techniques - TechTarget - July 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning As A Service In Manufacturing Market Augmented Expansion to Be Registered by 2018-2023 - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- COVID 19 Impact on Machine Learning in Medicine Market Outlook 2020 Industry Size, Top Key Manufacturers, Growth Insights, Demand Analysis and... - July 1st, 2020
- Machine learning algorithm from RaySearch enhances workflow at Swedish radiation therapy clinic - DOTmed HealthCare Business News - July 1st, 2020
- What a machine learning tool that turns Obama white can (and cant) tell us about AI bias - The Verge - June 25th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Are Changing Everything. Here's How You Can Get In On The Fun - ExtremeTech - June 25th, 2020
- SLAM + Machine Learning Ushers in the "Age of Perception - Robotics Business Review - June 25th, 2020
- Googles new ML Kit SDK keeps all machine learning on the device - SlashGear - June 25th, 2020