As artificial technology gains traction in the enterprise, many on the business side remain fuzzy on AI techniques and how they can be applied to drive business value. Machine Learning and deep learning, for example, are two AI techniques that are often conflated. But machine learning can involve a wide variety of techniques for building analytics models or decision engines that don't involve neural networks, the mechanism for deep learning. And there is a whole range of AI techniques outside of machine learning as well that can be applied to solve business problems.
Business managers who recognize these distinctions will have a greater understanding of the business value of AI and be better prepared to have productive conversations with data scientists, data engineers, end users and executives about what's feasible and what's required. These distinctions can also guide discussions about the best way to implement AI applications.
Without a solid understanding of the various aspects and aims of AI techniques, businesses run the risk of not using AI to drive business value, experts in the field said.
Sanmay Das and Nicholas Mattei, chair and vice chair respectively of the Association for Computing Machinery's Special Interest Group on Artificial Intelligence think one of the biggest blind spots is failing to see machine learning as one component of AI.
"Some can argue with this characterization, but we think that it loses sight of so much more that is encompassed in the goal of AI, which is to build intelligent agents," Das and Mattei told TechTarget.
Focusing only on the learning aspect of machine learning loses sight of how learning fits into a larger AI loop of perception, reasoning, planning and action. This larger framework can guide managers in understanding how all these areas can be mixed and combined to create intelligent applications.
Even when people are specifically talking about machine learning, they are typically describing supervised learning problems. Das, an associate professor of computer science and engineering at Washington University in St. Louis, and Mattei, an assistant professor of computer science at Tulane University, argued that this narrow view of machine learning techniques leaves out many advances in unsupervised machine learning and reinforcement learning problems that can drive business value.
Managers often discover machine learning as a byproduct of the success of deep learning. Juan Jos Lpez Murphy, an AI and big data tech director lead at Globant, an IT consultancy, said the positive side of this trend is that it opens people up to considering how they might apply machine learning to their business. "The money might not always be where the mouth is, but now there's an ear to that mouth," he said.
The downside is that people conflate neural networks with all of machine learning. As a result, he said he hears managers asking questions like "Which deep learning framework are you using?" which is never the relevant aspect of machine learning for a given application.
This confusion also tends to encourage people to focus on AI's "it" technologies, like computer vision and natural language processing. These kinds of applications, while advanced and exciting, are more complex to develop and may not provide as much immediate business value. In many cases, more classical machine learning approaches to tasks -- such as forecasts, churn prediction, risk scoring and optimization -- are better suited to solving business problems.
It is important for business managers to know which AI and machine learning techniques to deploy for which business problems.
For AI implementations requiring transparency and explainability, companies may want to stay away from deep learning techniques, which can result in so-called black box algorithms that are difficult for humans to understand. In these cases, Globant's Lopez Murphy finds clients turning to decision trees or logistic regression algorithms for explicitly reporting the impact of a variable.
Recommender engines, employed to great effect by online giants Netflix and Amazon, are used not only to sell the next item or recommend a movie, but also for internal applications and reports that people look at in their jobs. These applications and reports can be tackled with neural networks, but there are many more suitable approaches, Lopez Murphy said. Forecast models are used to derive confidence intervals that will enable short-term planning or to detect a sudden change in behavior, like outliers or changes to a trend.
"Many of these techniques [e.g., recommender systems and decision trees] have been available and used before deep learning, but are as relevant today, if not more so than they were before," Lopez Murphy said. These types of applications are also able to take advantage of data that is generally more available, curated and relevant than what is required to build deep learning applications.
Debu Chatterjee, senior director of platform AI engineering at ServiceNow, said the IT services software company regularly uses a variety of machine learning capabilities outside of deep learning to drive business value from AI, including classification, identifying similarity between things, clustering, forecasting and recommendations. For example, in service management, incoming tickets are initially read and routed by humans who decide which team is best suited to work on them. Machine learning models trained from these results can automatically route tickets to the best qualified groups for resolution without human intervention. This type of application uses classic supervised machine learning techniques like logistic regression to generate a working model that provides this decision support for optimized work routing.
ServiceNow also uses machine learning for pattern recognition. During a major event, many people call the service organization, but each IT fulfiller only sees one incident at a time, making it nearly impossible to manually recognize the overall pattern. Chatterjee said clustering techniques using machine learning can recognize the overall patterns to identify a major incident automatically, which can help to reduce the overall time to resolve incidents and events.
A wide variety of machine learning algorithms use unsupervised learning, an approach where the training data has not been labeled beforehand. Muddu Sudhakar, CEO of Aisera, a predictive AI service management provider, said that supervised learning models are highly accurate and trustworthy, but they require extensive datasets for training to achieve that high level of accuracy. Conversely, unsupervised learning models are less accurate and trustworthy, but learning takes place in real time without the need of any training data.
The most popular applications of unsupervised learning techniques cluster data into self-organizing maps. Another family of popular unsupervised techniques helps to discover the relationships among objects extracted from the data. Sudhakar said these techniques are popular for market-basket or associative data analysis personalization (i.e., users who buy X and Y products are more likely to buy Z) and recommendation systems for browsing webpages.
Read the original here:
Learn the business value of AI's various techniques - TechTarget
- Machine Learning Answers: Facebook Stock Is Down 20% In A Month, What Are The Chances It'll Rebound? - Trefis - September 22nd, 2020
- Machine Learning in Education Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Proximity matters: Using machine learning and geospatial analytics to reduce COVID-19 exposure risk - Healthcare IT News - September 22nd, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Market Tends To Show Steady Growth Post Pandemic With Regional Overview and Top Key Players - Verdant News - September 22nd, 2020
- PREDICTING THE OPTIMUM PATH - Port Strategy - September 22nd, 2020
- AI/ML Remains The Most In-Demand Tech Skill Post COVID - Analytics India Magazine - September 22nd, 2020
- Panalgo Brings the Power of Machine-Learning to the Healthcare Industry Via Its IHD Software - AiThority - September 15th, 2020
- Microchip Partners with Machine-Learning (ML) Software Leaders to Simplify AI-at-the-Edge Design Using its 32-Bit Microcontrollers (MCUs) - EE Journal - September 15th, 2020
- What is 'custom machine learning' and why is it important for programmatic optimisation? - The Drum - September 15th, 2020
- PODCAST: NVIDIA's Director of Data Science Talks Machine Learning for Airlines and Aerospace - Aviation Today - September 15th, 2020
- The Use of Machine Learning to Forecast Progression to Advanced AMD - DocWire News - September 15th, 2020
- How Can Machine Learning Help the Teaching Profession? - FE News - September 15th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning in Automobile Market: Development History, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2024 - The Market Correspondent - September 15th, 2020
- Using machine learning to organize the chemical diversity - Tech Explorist - September 15th, 2020
- Dashboard AI Announces Its Technology Vision for the Foodservice and Hospitality Industry - PRNewswire - September 15th, 2020
- Alfa Releases Second Paper on AI, Using Machine Learning in the Wild - Monitor Daily - September 10th, 2020
- Combatting COVID-19 misinformation with machine learning (VB Live) - VentureBeat - September 10th, 2020
- This artist used machine learning to create realistic portraits of Roman emperors - The World - September 10th, 2020
- Domino Data Lab Named a Leader in Notebook-Based Predictive Analytics and Machine Learning Evaluation by Global Research Firm - Business Wire - September 10th, 2020
- Demonstration Of What-If Tool For Machine Learning Model Investigation - Analytics India Magazine - September 10th, 2020
- RXA to Participate in 2nd Annual A2.AI Conference focused on Machine Learning & Applied AI - PR Web - September 10th, 2020
- 50 Data Science and Analysts Jobs That Opened Just Last Week - Analytics India Magazine - September 10th, 2020
- FSS Launches Next Gen Recon with Machine Learning and Cloud Support - TechGenyz - September 10th, 2020
- Getting to the heart of machine learning and complex humans - The Irish Times - August 28th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Courses Market Trends, Key Driven Factors, Segmentation And Forecast To 2020-2026 - The Scarlet - August 28th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Network Fetch.ai Partners Open-Source Blockchain Protocol Waves to Conduct R&D on DLT - Crowdfund Insider - August 28th, 2020
- UT Austin Selected as Home of National AI Institute Focused on Machine Learning - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - August 26th, 2020
- Participation-washing could be the next dangerous fad in machine learning - MIT Technology Review - August 26th, 2020
- The Role of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in the... - Insurance CIO Outlook - August 26th, 2020
- Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market Size and Growth By Leading Vendors, By Types and Application, By End Users and Forecast to 2020-2027 -... - August 26th, 2020
- Air Force Taps Machine Learning to Speed Up Flight Certifications - Nextgov - August 26th, 2020
- What is AutoML and Why Should Your Business Consider It - BizTech Magazine - August 26th, 2020
- Chatbots Are Machine Learning Their Way To Human Language - Forbes - August 26th, 2020
- Explainable AI: From the peak of inflated expectations to the pitfalls of interpreting machine learning models - ZDNet - August 26th, 2020
- Focusing on ethical AI in business and government - FierceElectronics - August 26th, 2020
- Amazon's Machine Learning University To Make Its Online Courses Available To The Public - Analytics India Magazine - August 14th, 2020
- Watch 3 Videos from Coursera's New "Machine Learning for Everyone" - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The... - August 14th, 2020
- PhD Research Fellowship in Machine Learning for Cognitive Power Management job with NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU | 219138 -... - August 14th, 2020
- Machine learning is pivotal to every line of business, every organisation must have an ML strategy - BusinessLine - August 14th, 2020
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Anyscale Hosts Inaugural Ray Summit on Scalable Python and Scalable Machine Learning - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2020
- Why GPT-3 Heralds a Democratic Revolution in Tech - Built In - August 14th, 2020
- BMW, Red Hat, and Malong Share Insights on AI and Machine Learning During Transform 2020 - ENGINEERING.com - August 14th, 2020
- Algorithm created by deep learning finds potential therapeutic targets throughout the human genome - National Science Foundation - August 14th, 2020
- Ensighten Launches Client-Side Threat Intelligence Initiative and Invests in Machine Learning - WFMZ Allentown - August 6th, 2020
- Hey software developers, youre approaching machine learning the wrong way - The Next Web - August 6th, 2020
- Introducing The AI & Machine Learning Imperative - MIT Sloan - August 6th, 2020
- Who Does the Machine Learning and Data Science Work? - Customer Think - August 6th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Path to Intelligent Automation - Embedded Computing Design - August 6th, 2020
- Blacklight Solutions Unveils Software to Simplify Business Analytics with AI and Machine Learning - PRNewswire - August 6th, 2020
- AI is learning when it should and shouldnt defer to a human - MIT Technology Review - August 6th, 2020
- Moderna Announced Partnership With Amazon Web Services for Their Analytics and Machine Learning Services - Science Times - August 6th, 2020
- Surprisingly Recent Galaxy Discovered Using Machine Learning May Be the Last Generation Galaxy in the Long Cosmic History - SciTechDaily - August 6th, 2020
- STMicroelectronics Releases STM32 Condition-Monitoring Function Pack Leveraging Tools from Cartesiam for Simplified Machine Learning - ELE Times - August 6th, 2020
- Machine Learning Reveals What Makes People Happy In A Relationship - Forbes - August 4th, 2020
- Benefits Of AI And Machine Learning | Expert Panel | Security News - SecurityInformed - August 4th, 2020
- Preparing new machine learning models used to take weeks Activeloop teams up with NVIDIA to reduce that time to hours - MENAFN.COM - August 4th, 2020
- IoT automation trend rides the next wave of machine learning, Big Data - Urgent Communications - August 4th, 2020
- Decoding Practical Problems and Business Implications of Machine Learning - Analytics Insight - August 4th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Industry 2020 Market Manufacturers Analysis, Share, Size, Growth, Trends and Research Report 2026 -... - August 4th, 2020
- Could this software help users trust machine learning decisions? - C4ISRNet - July 27th, 2020
- Top Five Data Privacy Issues that Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Startups Need to Know - insideBIGDATA - July 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Machine Learning Market will Accelerate at a CAGR of about 39% through 2020-2024 | The Increasing Adoption of Cloud-based Offerings... - July 27th, 2020
- Deep learning's role in the evolution of machine learning - TechTarget - July 1st, 2020
- 2 books to deepen your command of python machine learning - TechTalks - July 1st, 2020
- What I Learned From Looking at 200 Machine Learning Tools - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The Predictive... - July 1st, 2020
- Protecting inventions which use Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence - Lexology - July 1st, 2020
- Machine learning finds use in creating sharper maps of 'ecosystem' lines in the ocean - Firstpost - July 1st, 2020
- Fake data is great data when it comes to machine learning - Stacey on IoT - July 1st, 2020
- Decisions and NLP Logix Announce Partnership to bring the Power of Machine Learning to Business Process Management - Benzinga - July 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning in Medical Imaging Market Strategies and Insight Driven Transformation 2020-2030 - Cole of Duty - July 1st, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Market to Witness AIBrain, Amazon, Anki, CloudMinds - Cole of Duty - July 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning Market Projected to Register 43.5% CAGR to 2030 Intel, H2Oai - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- Machine Learning As A Service In Manufacturing Market Augmented Expansion to Be Registered by 2018-2023 - 3rd Watch News - July 1st, 2020
- COVID 19 Impact on Machine Learning in Medicine Market Outlook 2020 Industry Size, Top Key Manufacturers, Growth Insights, Demand Analysis and... - July 1st, 2020
- Machine learning algorithm from RaySearch enhances workflow at Swedish radiation therapy clinic - DOTmed HealthCare Business News - July 1st, 2020
- What a machine learning tool that turns Obama white can (and cant) tell us about AI bias - The Verge - June 25th, 2020
- AI and Machine Learning Are Changing Everything. Here's How You Can Get In On The Fun - ExtremeTech - June 25th, 2020
- SLAM + Machine Learning Ushers in the "Age of Perception - Robotics Business Review - June 25th, 2020
- Googles new ML Kit SDK keeps all machine learning on the device - SlashGear - June 25th, 2020
- Machine Learning vs Predictive Analytics: Are they same? - Analytics Insight - June 25th, 2020